Passive HDMI switch version? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-03-2014, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Passive HDMI switch version?

I have a receiver with a built-in passive HDMI switch. It doesn't do any audio playback off HDMI, and it doesn't do any video processing.

Here's the question:

Does a passive HDMI switch have any particular set version (1.3, 1.4a, etc), or, like an HDMI cable, can it support transmitting any HDMI version for which it can pass the bandwidth?

Your knowledge is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-06-2014, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Typically a switch just needs to handle the bandwidth, but it sounds unusual for a receiver to incorporate a passive HDMI switch.

Is there a make/model to this receiver?

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-06-2014, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
Is there a make/model to this receiver?
It's a Sony STR-DH500. All digital audio is handled via TOSLINK and coax. The only other audio options are stereo RCA.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-08-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

What type of video are you trying to connect to this receiver?

From page 61 of the manual: https://docs.sony.com/release/STRDH500_US.pdf

It looks like it should support all the major formats, and I would expect that it could handle higher resolutions just fine if it is truly passive. But, most HDMI switchers still act as a repeater and deal with HDCP, which may impact the signal going through it. HDMI switchers aren't exactly like HDMI cables, so you may not get 3D or higher than 1080p through it. It likely is not truly passive, but a repeater device, and therefore will likely have some limitations.

On the other hand, for whatever you are using, you can pick up a cheap external HDMI switcher which likely will work just as well, and handle the newest formats. I mean, the HDMI in the receiver is (at best) just a convenience connection.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-08-2014, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Well, I was thinking about getting one of the Seiki 4K TVs. Thanks for your assistance!
post #6 of 8 Old 07-09-2014, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 64
The Chip behind the HDMI Input sockets on the AVR are unlikely to pass 2160p30/60 or 3D - some early HDMI equipped AVR's may not handle 1080p.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #7 of 8 Old 07-12-2014, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

From page 61 of the manual: https://docs.sony.com/release/STRDH500_US.pdf

It looks like it should support all the major formats, and I would expect that it could handle higher resolutions just fine if it is truly passive. But, most HDMI switchers still act as a repeater and deal with HDCP, which may impact the signal going through it. HDMI switchers aren't exactly like HDMI cables, so you may not get 3D or higher than 1080p through it. It likely is not truly passive, but a repeater device, and therefore will likely have some limitations.

On the other hand, for whatever you are using, you can pick up a cheap external HDMI switcher which likely will work just as well, and handle the newest formats. I mean, the HDMI in the receiver is (at best) just a convenience connection.
Are there any HDMI Switches that will pass 4k 60hz? I'm in the odd situation of having 2 devices that will be HDMI 2 "Lite", the Sony Server FMP-X10 not so affectionately nicknamed "the brick" and I'm upgrading my HTPC with an NVidia Keplar Card that current drivers allow it to pass 4k 60hz. My AVR is a Harman Karon AVR 2600 with amazing sound so I hate to sell it, especially when the few receivers out with HDMI 2.0 support are low end. Both the Brick and the HTPC will have the limited 10.2 GB bandwidth limitation, and I don't think the Nvidia even calls itself "HDMI 2.0". Is there a switch that doesn't cost as much as a new Receiver to pass these signals?
post #8 of 8 Old 07-13-2014, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not sure if there are any switches which support 4K which aren't going to be pretty darn pricey. Extron, Crestron, and others may have some, but none of which I would expect to be 'cheap'.

Don't get confused by things like this:
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/gtb-hd4k2k-...?prod_id=11450

Which are still $450 freakin' dollars!

I'm thinking that it may just make sense to try a manual switcher (which should just work) or wait a half year to a year and see what hits the market. We are still very early with 4K being standardized and accepted across all platforms. I'm thinking we have at least two years for this to be more commonplace.

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World
Gear in this thread - STR-DH500. by PriceGrabber.com