DirecTV C31 Genie Mini, AppleTV and 75' HDMI Cable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-05-2014, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
DirecTV C31 Genie Mini, AppleTV and 75' HDMI Cable

Please forgive if I haven't included (or included too much) information with this post, but I'm hoping someone will be able to solve this problem.

I've run into an issue with the DirecTV C31 Genie Mini and a 75' HDMI cable I recently purchased. Here's the issue...

I have 2 C31 Minis in my basement. One is connected to my Sony Bravia TV via a 50' HDMI cable. The other is connected to a Vizio TV via 75' HDMI cable (26 AWG, CL3 rated, Cat 2 certified, Built in Signal Booster to support up 720p, 1080i, 1080p and up. Ethernet Channel, Audio Return Channel, 1440p and 1080p FullHD Res, Transfer Rates of at least 10.2Gbps).

Both Genies display perfectly on the Sony TV via the 50' cable. But neither will display anything with the 75' cable. The Vizio screen just reads "No Input". Sounds like a cable issue, right? But then if I connect my AppleTV to the 75' cable it displays perfectly on the Vizio display.

I tried calling DirecTV to no avail. Does anyone know why neither Genie Mini will work with the 75' cable, but my AppleTV works?

I am aware that I could simply run Coax from the satellite splitter to bring the Genie closer to the Vizio, but I'm just trying to figure out why my setup isn't working as is...

Thanks for any help.

JD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-05-2014, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 229
75' is very long for an HDMI cable. High speed HDMI is certified for only up to 25'. Anything longer than that you should consider a Redmere (active) HDMI cable or CAT-6 with HDBT. Ethernet capability means nothing because there aren't any devices that can support that so I wouldn't worry about that aspect.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-05-2014, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
75' is very long for an HDMI cable. High speed HDMI is certified for only up to 25'. Anything longer than that you should consider a Redmere (active) HDMI cable or CAT-6 with HDBT. Ethernet capability means nothing because there aren't any devices that can support that so I wouldn't worry about that aspect.
Thanks so much for the advice. I found a 60' Redmere HDMI cable at Monoprice that I'm considering buying to replace the referenced 75' cable.

I still don't understand why my AppleTV works with the 75' cable, but neither Genie work. Any ideas?

JD
post #4 of 5 Old 07-06-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Can't help you on the AppleTV. Could just be the vagaries of HDMI. I have an AppleTV that has never had any issues with any kinds of HDMI cable, but, my runs are 10' or under. Depending on the AppleTV, you might not be having any issues because of what it is sending to the tv. ATV2's for example, can only send 720p. ATV3's can send 1080i so that could be the reason. Keep in mind that the downside of a Redmere cable is the fact that because it has a chipset in one end that draw a little power from the sink end (tv), it can fail over time like any other electronic device so it's always best to install you cable in such a manner as that you can easily replace it if need be. I haven't had any issues with my Redmere's but it is something to keep in mind. At 75', are your cable installed in-wall or are they on the outside?
post #5 of 5 Old 07-09-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 61
The built in signal booster needs to 'steal' power from your Source device the Genie may not be providing enough power.

Equally the 'booster' may be disturbing the EDID and HDCP info from the TV so the Genie is unable to properly handshake with the Display.

As Otto says RedMere 'steals' power from the TV so may work for you.

The alternative is to run the signal over Dual or single CAT6 and use powered Extenders.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page