Laptop HDMI Splitter Problem - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-08-2014, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Laptop HDMI Splitter Problem

So, here's the situation. I run karaoke shows at various bars. I was using a Toshiba Satellite laptop linked to a HDMI splitter to run video to my small Insignia LCD and whichever TV I was able to use at the individual bars. It worked fine for a couple of years. Then, all of a sudden, both of my external displays began blinking out. I have tried three different splitters and two different laptops, and I keep having the same problem in every location. The best way I can describe it is that it seems like the laptop keeps resetting the video settings or something. I am computer literate to an extent, but this is way beyond me. Can anyone help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-09-2014, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 139
The content you are running when you are having a problem may be enabling HDCP Content Protection - which in turn then requires the Splitter and Display devices to be fully HDCP compliant.

The Laptops may be being confused if the Splitter is not handling EDID properly from the Displays - a Gefen HDMI Detective+ or HD Fury Dr HDMI could resolve that issue.

Have you double checked the resolution and refresh rate the Laptops are Outputting and that your Displays support it?

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions for Residential and Commercial installations.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-10-2014, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thank you for your help with this. I have a couple of questions.

The content I'm displaying is fairly simple and hasn't changed since the splitter worked properly. Even just the image of the desktop causes the problem to occur. That makes me think it's not an HDCP issue. But, is there a way I can check?

I've looked into the HDMI Detective and the HD Fury Dr. Would one or the other be better suited to this situation? And do you know if one or the other might have problems with the fact that it's a different second monitor every time I change locations?
post #4 of 5 Old 07-11-2014, 01:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 139
The Desktop having the problem indicates it's not (at that stage) HDCP.

Once you are playing back Content HDCP may be being switched on if the content is copy protected.

Both Options work well - the Dr HDMI is a smaller form factor and slightly easier to configure.

Once you have learnt/stored a working (for your system) EDID it doesn't matter what Display you use (as long as it supports the format of the signal you are outputting).

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions for Residential and Commercial installations.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-11-2014, 01:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1229 Post(s)
Liked: 542
obcity

Sounds like you got a windows update that caused your HDMI port to act the way it was suppose to.

You're lucky it worked for you as long as it did.

If your laptop also has VGA, you might want to experiment to see what happens if you have VGA and HDMI hooked up at the same time. I would expect that to work.

Then if your insignia display has VGA, you could use that output and skip the splitter and the issues it brings with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page