What is a good 12-15' HDMI option that is very flexible? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-12-2014, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What is a good 12-15' HDMI option that is very flexible?

Hi all,

I am setting up a new Samsung 8500 64" plasma and I need some opinions on HDMI cables. I already purchased a set of 4 Monoprice 12' cables (the ones that have the nylon armor), but once I tried to use them on the TV I found that they were too stiff to make the sharp bend needed to keep them behind the TV. I see now that Monoprice has their RedMere line of cables that are much thinner and can presumably make a tight bend. I'd have to get a 15' length, but that would be okay.

Any thoughts on the RedMere for this application, or is there a different cable that would be a better choice? The RedMere are a little more expensive than the standard style cables but the difference is minimal. Really, I just want a reliable cable that works well and is flexible enough to be concealable behind my TV.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-13-2014, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 242
The Redmere cables will work fine but keep in mind that because of the chipsets in the sink end (they are active cables), they may fail like any other electronic device. I haven't heard of any Redmere cables failing but it is a possibility. So if you do use Redmere, make sure that they are accessible should you need to replace them. I use Redmere and they have been flawless.

For 12' runs, you may be able to get away with thinner gauge cables as long as they are certified. If not, there are HDMI adapters (elbow, 90 degree, etc) that you can use for tight turns and areas.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-13-2014, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 294
I swear by the Redmere cables in any situation where you can replace them. Their longer lengths (10', 15', longer) are great product. I carry a couple of them with me at all times for installations.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-16-2014, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 24
How about those new 18gbps cables monoprice threw out?

Is there any real need for that if I'm not doing anything 4K?
post #5 of 5 Old 07-16-2014, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjpk248 View Post
How about those new 18gbps cables monoprice threw out?

Is there any real need for that if I'm not doing anything 4K?
The new 18Gbs Redmere cables won't improve a 1080p image and are mostly just for a bit of future proofing. Considering the price being a bit more than their standard Redmere versions, I would get the 18Gbs version. Seriously, on the 15' cable it's $3 we are talking about. Why not just go ahead and have it ready to go?

This ONLY applies to the active Redmere cables. Current 'high speed' rated HDMI cables should already be able to handle 18Gbs without needing to change them out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page