Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-16-2014, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HDMI 25-35FT Cable

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm looking at this cable to run from my PC to my Reciever, then I would use a 7ft cord from reciever to TV. The tv is a 49" 1080P TV, will I have any problems with this cable at 25 feet or 35feet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-16-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 262
I've used MediaBridge in the past and they were fine. Keep in mind that the maximum certified distance for high speed hdmi is 25'. Up to 35' would probably be ok but I'd keep my receipt just in case You could look at a Redmere cable, which is an active cable and eliminates any distance issues. The cable is very thin, flexible, and puts absolutely no strain on the inputs. But it is more expensive. The "active" part comes from the the fact that Redmere cables have a small chipset in the sink end which draws a little power from the device.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-16-2014, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm gonna be using a 25ft one into my AVR and then 7 ft from avr to HDTV, I originally wanted to do 25ft from PC to AVR and 30ft or so from PC to TV.

EDIT. I just tested this, I ran 25ft into the AVR and then 25 foot from the avr into my 1920x1080 monitor and ran it at 60hz(my monitor does 144hz but from dvi-d only)

Does this mean the cord should work with my 120/240hz tv?

Last edited by renji1337; 07-16-2014 at 03:13 PM.
post #4 of 12 Old 07-16-2014, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

That's 50' that the signal has to travel, plus thru the receiver. I'd test it with the configuration you want to know for sure. It all depends on your particular tv to a certain extent. Are your cables open by chance or are they going to be installed in-wall?
post #5 of 12 Old 07-16-2014, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
That's 50' that the signal has to travel, plus thru the receiver. I'd test it with the configuration you want to know for sure. It all depends on your particular tv to a certain extent. Are your cables open by chance or are they going to be installed in-wall?
well the configuration I'm using will be 50" to AVR then like 6ft from avr to TV. I just tested the 2 25 foots because the HDTV isnt here yet.

Cables are open, going from one room to another.

I'm thinking that since I didnt see anything wrong on my pc monitor with 2 25footers that I should be fine?

Last edited by renji1337; 07-16-2014 at 05:44 PM.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-16-2014, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

A single 50' HDMI cable may cause you issues because your are technically twice the distance that high speed HDMI is certified for. That doesn't mean that it won't work for sure but if you have issues, that could be the reason why. You might get away with that length if you used a larger gauge wire but then the cable would be very thick and not pliable, not to mention the strain it would put on the input ends. I would also not recommend coupling the two cables together to make that length. That's just one more connection variable that could affect your signal. A 50' Redmere cable would solve your problem. Just buy a 50' HDMI cable and see if it works to your satisfaction. You can always return cables if they don't work or if you have issues. Just remember that any passive cable over 25' is not certified to meet HDMI 1.4 specs, no matter what the package says. And before you ask, any currently certified high speed HDMI cable will also meet HDMI 2.0 specs once the devices are widely available.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-16-2014, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
A single 50' HDMI cable may cause you issues because your are technically twice the distance that high speed HDMI is certified for. That doesn't mean that it won't work for sure but if you have issues, that could be the reason why. You might get away with that length if you used a larger gauge wire but then the cable would be very thick and not pliable, not to mention the strain it would put on the input ends. I would also not recommend coupling the two cables together to make that length. That's just one more connection variable that could affect your signal. A 50' Redmere cable would solve your problem. Just buy a 50' HDMI cable and see if it works to your satisfaction. You can always return cables if they don't work or if you have issues. Just remember that any passive cable over 25' is not certified to meet HDMI 1.4 specs, no matter what the package says. And before you ask, any currently certified high speed HDMI cable will also meet HDMI 2.0 specs once the devices are widely available.

I don't need 50". My avr is 25 feet away. my tv is 30ft. I'm going to run a 25ft cable from my PC to the AVR, and then a 6ft cable from the AVR Reciever to the HDTV. totaling 31ft. (Is this okay) and my reciever has 4 HDMI inputs, and 1 HDMI output, essentially I have a HDMI plugged into the input which lets me use the HDMI cable to the TV as an output

I will eventually use 2 30ft redmere cables, 1 from my PC to the TV, 1 from the PC to the AVR Reciever

I only used the 2 25 ft's that I had as a test, but 25ft isnt enough to the tv, the tv requires 30ft and I didn't realize it(I am sending one 25ft cable back)
post #8 of 12 Old 07-16-2014, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok. I wasn't clear on your distances then. A 25' certified cable will work fine. Anything under that distance in not an issue. The receiver between the cable lengths "breaks up" the total distance which is ok. Question, once you connect your PC directly to the tv is that going to be for streaming movies from your PC directly to the tv? What about audio? How you currently have your setup is what most people do. All devices are connected to the receiver via HDMI with a single HDMI out to the tv for video. That way all of your audio goes directly to the receiver and only the video is sent to the tv.

Last edited by Otto Pylot; 07-16-2014 at 07:47 PM.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-16-2014, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ok. I wasn't clear on your distances then. A 25' certified cable will work fine. Anything under that distance in not an issue. The receiver between the cable lengths "breaks up" the total distance which is ok. Question, once you connect your PC directly to the tv is that going to be for streaming movies from your PC directly to the tv? What about audio? How you currently have your setup is what most people do. All devices are connected to the receiver via HDMI with a single HDMI out to the tv for video. That way all of your audio goes directly to the receiver and only the video is sent to the tv.

What do you mean by a reciever breaks up the total distance? does it strengthen the single.

Also yes my current setup is how most do it but because I have 2 graphics cards, I can run 1 straight to the reciever from the pc and 1 straight to the TV from the pc aswell for gaming (this ignores AVR process lag) and because I'm using 2 cables I still get bitstreaming audio. You dont always have to go pc > reciever > tv
post #10 of 12 Old 07-16-2014, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

What I meant is that you have a 25' cable to the receiver. The signal goes thru the receiver, and then you continue on with a shorter cable. I don't believe that the lengths are additive in that you have one 25' run and then another at 6', not 31'. Do you have a working setup the way you described it now and all you're adding is a new tv or is this what you envision?
post #11 of 12 Old 07-16-2014, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What I meant is that you have a 25' cable to the receiver. The signal goes thru the receiver, and then you continue on with a shorter cable. I don't believe that the lengths are additive in that you have one 25' run and then another at 6', not 31'. Do you have a working setup the way you described it now and all you're adding is a new tv or is this what you envision?

I have a working setup right now the way I described it, and im upgrading the tv to a new one basically
post #12 of 12 Old 07-16-2014, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, then you shouldn't have any problems. Just use what you have now and if all is well, then get the Redmere's if you want a much thinner cable so you don't trip over it if they're going from room to room, or replace your existing cables with the MediaBridge.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World
Gear in this thread - 25-35FT by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page