Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-28-2014, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question HDMI extender for outdoor projector

Hey guys,

Started getting into the whole outdoor theater thing. First time out I had everything on a cart and since then I have been looking for an easier way to do this. The only issue I am coming across is HDMI distance. What I want to have going is all equipment will be in the shed. From there i ran a 2" conduit about 45' to where the screen is and have a post in the ground. From there i will need to run a 25' HDMI cable to the projector when it is setup for shows. So what I am looking at is HDMI either directly into receiver or on wall plate in shed to post at end of conduit with HDMI jack. From there and HDMI cable to projector. From research on active cables and HDMI over Ethernet it seems my best bet would be HDbaseT in particular something like this http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2. First question would be would I be able to run a standard 25' HDMI after the HDbaseT adapter without issue or would i need to go with an active cable? Second since both ends are powered for the HDbaseT would there be any issue with keeping the end in the shed powered all the time and only powering up the other end when in use?
Thanks for any feedback.
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-29-2014, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Run a 70' solid core CAT6 and use HDBT 'all the way' without the need for a long HDMI cable.

If you don't require IP at the Projector an HDBT-lite solution will do the trick - ours are PoC so no requirement to supply power to the Rx (at the Projector) -
http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI_extender_HD70STPEX.html

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #3 of 6 Old 07-29-2014, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

The way i have it is the screen is mounted by the fence and i put a post with power and the planned HDMI port there then connect an HDMI cable and run it to where the projector will be. Otherwise i would have to place the post in the middle of the yard which i really do not want to do.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-29-2014, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Joe's suggestion of CAT-6/HDBT is really the best way to do it, especially if this is to be some sort of permanent setup and you want to "future proof" somewhat. I suppose you could run a 25' HDMI cable from the post to the projector but I'd recommend using Redmere or a thick gauge certified high speed hdmi cable (25' is the max for certification). However, you've still got a 45' run to the post........
post #5 of 6 Old 07-30-2014, 02:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 64
HDBT will 'cope' with a break in the CAT6 cable run and will still be more stable than your suggested plan - if need be terminate the CAT6 cable at the 'power pole' and then simply plug in an additional run of CAT6 (alongside the Projector power cable) as and when required and have the PoC HDBT Receiver mounted at the Projector.

Are you planning on using 'external' grade cabling?

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #6 of 6 Old 07-30-2014, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post
HDBT will 'cope' with a break in the CAT6 cable run and will still be more stable than your suggested plan - if need be terminate the CAT6 cable at the 'power pole' and then simply plug in an additional run of CAT6 (alongside the Projector power cable) as and when required and have the PoC HDBT Receiver mounted at the Projector.

Are you planning on using 'external' grade cabling?

Joe
Did not think of doing it like that. That's why I like the forums. I have solid copper STP direct burial (going in pipe anyway) cat6 so i'm good for the cable.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World