Strange HDMI on bluray and xbox switch - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-20-2014, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Strange HDMI on bluray and xbox into switch

I have a new sony tv, it has 2 HDMI inputs and have 3 devices to plug in, a PC, an xbox and a sony bluray player. As the bluray is not used that often, I bought a simple push button HDMI switch (Logik brand).

The xbox works exactly as expected, screen shows it when the selector switch is on it's channel. The bluray is a problem, the screen is blank unless the xbox is switched powered up.

I've changed cables around, and inputs on the switch. Even taken the switch back as the store said it sounds like the switch has a fault. The behaviour is the same. The bluray will not show any picture until the xbox is powered up, and then goes blank if the xbox is off. The TV also recognises the bluray as a sony bluray when it is active, the screen section title changes to "sony BD system"

Is there any known issue with HDMI switches and sony bluray player?

I'm reluctant to go buy a more expensive switch and find it has the same problem.

Last edited by ^vexorg^; 08-20-2014 at 10:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-20-2014, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Not sure what xbox you have, but I know the original and 360 would always send a signal when powered off (in standby). This can be problematic if you have one of those switches that will automatically switch to the 'powered on' device. It's been awhile since I've used one of those types of HDMI switches, but I remember it being where the device that always sends a signal will override another device that doesn't unless manually switched. Disconnect the xbox from the switch and test the blu-ray player by itself on the switch. If it works fine, then you know it's from the xbox and the switch you have will not be compatible.

Two devices that always send a signal both plugged into the switch will work because neither will override the other. The same with two devices that don't always send a signal. The problem arises when using devices that always send a signal mixed with devices that don't.

Try the PC and blu-ray player on the switch and the xbox directly or buy another switch that is not automatic. Or better yet, use a receiver for your HDMI switching.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-21-2014, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter

The switch isn't automatic, I deliberately went for a push button one. This one: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-...20763-pdt.html

I had deliberately gone for that simple type as we had problems before with the xbox (it's the last 360, slim black one). Previously on a different TV the xbox would shut down when the TV was changed to PC (via VGA), so I know there is something going on between them.

There must be some logic inside the switch rather than a purely mechanical changeover switch

I might try swapping it to the PC and xbox on the switch. I was wary of this as I know some PC video cards don't like powering up or running without a screen connected.
post #4 of 8 Old 08-21-2014, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 64
A ‘wild’ guess would be that the Switch is not supplied including an external power supply!

The Switch is having to ‘steal’ power from one of the Source devices it is connected to and it looks like the Blu-ray is not able to deliver the required voltage so it’s using the Xbox instead!

It’s always best to install a Switch with its own PSU.

http://www.tmfsolutions.co.uk/Octava_HDS5-UK.htm

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #5 of 8 Old 08-21-2014, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post
A ‘wild’ guess would be that the Switch is not supplied including an external power supply!
I foolishly thought that being a mechanical push button that it would be a mechanical switch inside, no electronics, just an old fashioned set of contacts that change over the connection.

Sometimes the old simple ways are the best. I might open it up and have a look
post #6 of 8 Old 08-22-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

HDMI is all about Content Protection - which requires a chip or two in the Switch, which then require power

http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/kb.aspx#43

Joe

post #7 of 8 Old 08-25-2014, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post
HDMI is all about Content Protection - which requires a chip or two in the Switch, which then require power
An mechanical analog switch is so primitive that protection would not be an issue. Straight multipole switch
post #8 of 8 Old 08-25-2014, 02:55 AM
AVS Special Member

An mechanical analog switch is so primitive that protection would not be an issue’– it will be if the Sink (TV) doesn’t spot the change on the Switch and run through the whole re-initialize process, it’ll simply lose connection with the original Source and not connect to the new Source (until you potentially reboot the new Source).

It’s never simple with HDMI and HDCP.

Joe

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page