Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-26-2014, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
809 Onkyo HDMI unique issue ?'s

I have a weird problem.

I have a Onkyo NR-809 AVR that's had its HDMI Board replaced. Since replacement I have had 4-5 intermittent failures of the HDMI Out #1 on the AVR, it will drop Video to the TV randomly with no changes made what so ever.

Its been back to the Authorized service center and Onkyo's Corporate offices for testing, no one can find an issue.

A week ago I got it back, hooked it up using all new HDMI cables, a week goes by and it wont output video from HDMI Out#1 , I unplug the HDMI cable from Out#1 and plug it into Out#2 and all works flawlessly.

I figure, OK if its not my AVR according to Onkyo, maybe it s a random issue with the Charter Scientific Atlantic 8300HD DVR box, so I swap the living room one out with the one from the caveman, same results, the AVR won't Output from HDMI Out#1 but will from Out#2?

I also tried unplugging the other sources plugged into the AVR (PS3 and VCR), this didn't change anything?

A while back when this happened, and after the board replacement, I brought the AVR down to the mancave using the TV, cable box and cables down there and it worked?, I haven't done this this latest time as I have a TEch calling me from Onkyo, but this is something very curious to me.

Could my issue possible be with my 60" Sharp Aqous? Why or more importantly how would my Sharp HDMI Inputs affect the HDMI Out#1 on my AVR? If the AVR works on a different TV, and with that being the only difference in hooking it all up, that would seem to indicate my TV, yet I can correct the issue by merely swapping to the Out#2 on the AVR, no other changes made? How can, or could the Intermittent failure of of my 809's Out#1 be related to my TV? If it was the TV, why wouldn't HDMI Out#2 also be affected?, it passes video through just fine, using the same cable, and the same input on the TV...

Ownership of this NR-809 has been a huge HUGE headache

Any help or insight you can give would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-26-2014, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM300EXC View Post
I have a weird problem.

I have a Onkyo NR-809 AVR that's had its HDMI Board replaced. Since replacement I have had 4-5 intermittent failures of the HDMI Out #1 on the AVR, it will drop Video to the TV randomly with no changes made what so ever.

Its been back to the Authorized service center and Onkyo's Corporate offices for testing, no one can find an issue.

A week ago I got it back, hooked it up using all new HDMI cables, a week goes by and it wont output video from HDMI Out#1 , I unplug the HDMI cable from Out#1 and plug it into Out#2 and all works flawlessly.

I figure, OK if its not my AVR according to Onkyo, maybe it s a random issue with the Charter Scientific Atlantic 8300HD DVR box, so I swap the living room one out with the one from the caveman, same results, the AVR won't Output from HDMI Out#1 but will from Out#2?

I also tried unplugging the other sources plugged into the AVR (PS3 and VCR), this didn't change anything?

A while back when this happened, and after the board replacement, I brought the AVR down to the mancave using the TV, cable box and cables down there and it worked?, I haven't done this this latest time as I have a TEch calling me from Onkyo, but this is something very curious to me.

Could my issue possible be with my 60" Sharp Aqous? Why or more importantly how would my Sharp HDMI Inputs affect the HDMI Out#1 on my AVR? If the AVR works on a different TV, and with that being the only difference in hooking it all up, that would seem to indicate my TV, yet I can correct the issue by merely swapping to the Out#2 on the AVR, no other changes made? How can, or could the Intermittent failure of of my 809's Out#1 be related to my TV? If it was the TV, why wouldn't HDMI Out#2 also be affected?, it passes video through just fine, using the same cable, and the same input on the TV...

Ownership of this NR-809 has been a huge HUGE headache

Any help or insight you can give would be greatly appreciated
Well the Tech had me do a lot of button presses and different verifications and I am now outputting out of Out#1 (Main) to the Input #1 on TV.

He thinks it has something to do with Sharp Aqous Link Control or something to that effect that eventually causes the issue?

HE also said something about not a strong enough signal perhaps being an issue with the TV\AVR?

I guess I shouldnt complain as its working, but I wish I knew what was broken, set wrong, or what? Ugh
post #3 of 3 Old 08-26-2014, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Behind the HDMI Input and Output sockets there are Transmitter, Repeater or Receiver chips - you may find HDMI Out #1 on the AVR has a different Feature set to HDMI Out #2 .

HDMI Out #1 on the AVR could well have a problem with HDMI In. #1 on the TV!

Try disabling HDMI CEC on both devices then simultaneously reboot (power Off) both Devices.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page