post #1 of 3 Old 09-01-2014, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 145
HDMI 2.0 Cables?

Hi guys,

I am a bit confused by HDMI 2.0 cables. I have read posters saying, just buy a high-speed HDMI cable and you are good. However, these seem to have a max of 10.2 gbps throughput, where the HDMI 2.0 spec is listed as 18 gbps. The only cables I see that are 18 gbps are the red mere cables, which I would rather not have an active cable for my short runs.

I am picking up a Pioneer 1124-k and a Vizio P series, so I should have true HDMI 2.0 devices to connect.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

My ES8000 settings, calibrated with an i1D3 and calman: Standard Mode, Movie Mode (out of date, will update soon)
CalMAN 5 Novice Walkthrough

Last edited by Mavinwow; 09-01-2014 at 07:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-01-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 286
No such thing as an HDMI 2.0 cable (or even a 1.4 cable). Any Certified High Speed HDMI cable from a reputable mfr (Monoprice, MediaBridge, Blue Jeans, for example) will work with the new HDMI 2.0 specs (once the chipsets are commercially available for all devices).

Keep in mind that 10.2Gbps is the upper limit of the 1.4 spec and the lower limit of the 2.0 spec. It's going to be a long time before 18Gbps devices are commonplace. That being said, a lot of mfrs are advertising their devices as HDMI 2.0 (or HDMI 2.0 Ready) and that could mean that their chipsets are running at 10.2Gbps, or can be upgraded via a firmware upgrade to that and be called "HDMI 2.0", which technically they are. There are a lot of protocols that are covered in the new HDMI 2.0 spec and not all of them will be rolled out at the same time or ever. Same is true for 1.4. Some specs never made it into commercial devices. Unless the mfr specifically lists which protocols their HDMI 2.0 devices have, you won't know if it's just a speed bump to 10.2Gbps, or 11.14Gbps and higher and if that includes CEC Extensions and some of the other important aspects of HDMI 2.0. And, if one device is fully compatible and the others in the chain aren't, then your HDMI will drop back to the least common denominator.

Bottom line, get a Certified High Speed HDMI cable that is certified for the length you need and you'll be fine now, and in the foreseeable future. I use Redmere cables and my runs are 10' and 6'. An overkill for sure but I wanted the flexibility and no strain on the connector ends.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-01-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 68
HDMI 2.0 cables -http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_0/hdmi_2_0_faq.aspx#144

‘so I should have true HDMI 2.0 devices to connect.
What am I missing?’ – the Spec sheets for the Source andDisplay will let you know which Features you do/don’t have with the kit you have.

Always look for the Features you require and ignore HDMI version numbers.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World