HDMI cables that support 4K@60Hz, 4:4:4 chroma, and Deep Color? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 283Likes

post #31 of 1959 Old 10-22-2015, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have tried several cables to connect an MSI GTX 980 Ti to an LG UHD TV.
None of the cables I tried so far work at 4:4:4 at this distance.

A passive HDMI Ibra Black works at this distance at 4:2:0 (IBRA® 30 Feet High Speed PRO GOLD BLACK Range HDMI 2.0/1.4a)

I also tried two active cables with no success:
1. Ricable Supreme AI F10 - 10 Meter (32,8 feet) - Cable HDMI 2.0 High Speed 3D Certified with Microprocessor (Worked at 4:2:0)
2. 35 ft ELITE High Speed HDMI Cable w/Ethernet 28AWG Gold Plate In Wall Rated (at 4:2:0 image was flashing)

Do you know of any cable that can do this distance at 4:4:4?

I think I will try to split the distance and put a repeater in between (HDFury Integral 4K60 4:4:4 600MHz). Let's hope this works!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1959 Old 10-22-2015, 10:21 AM

HDMI 4K60 @ 4:4:4 at 10 meters

I have tried several cables to connect an MSI GTX 980 Ti to an LG UHD TV.
None of the cables I tried so far work at 4:4:4 at this distance.

A passive HDMI Ibra Black works at this distance at 4:2:0 (IBRA® 30 Feet High Speed PRO GOLD BLACK Range HDMI 2.0/1.4a)

I also tried two active cables with no success:
1. Ricable Supreme AI F10 - 10 Meter (32,8 feet) - Cable HDMI 2.0 High Speed 3D Certified with Microprocessor (Worked at 4:2:0)
2. 35 ft ELITE High Speed HDMI Cable w/Ethernet 28AWG Gold Plate In Wall Rated (at 4:2:0 image was flashing)

Do you know of any cable that can do this distance at 4:4:4?

I think I will try to split the distance and put a repeater in between (HDFury Integral 4K60 4:4:4 600MHz). Let's hope this works!
post #33 of 1959 Old 10-23-2015, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 233 Post(s)
Quoted: 1798 Post(s)
Liked: 359
You should try something like this below for driving 600MHz on the long run because even redmere tech is failing at such speed given to some labs report.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...EG&A=details&Q

We do have created 10m (2x5m) 600MHz link using regular HDMI cables but we first had to find working cables and it's alread0y not trivial for 2m. Until you found REAL tested and approved cables for 600MHz, you might have to buy 10 from one brand and only 2 will work out of them. HDMI cables issues at 600MHz are a nightmare! And all these cables that are failing @ 600MHz, of course, works perfectly well for 4K60 4:2:0 300MHz.
doctorwizz likes this.

IMPORTANT: Due to recent discoveries, we are working on a new way to handle Dolby Vision, in the meantime please use AUTOMIX/SINK mode for DV support.
Do not use DV forced flags on Integral, it cannot work with all DV equipment, simply use automix with max video algo and you will be fine until we push new updates out.

post #34 of 1959 Old 10-23-2015, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1669 Post(s)
Liked: 1044
Seriously? $340 for a 50' cable, with a detachable HDMI connector, and no reviews?
post #35 of 1959 Old 10-23-2015, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Seriously? $340 for a 50' cable, with a detachable HDMI connector, and no reviews?
Cheaper on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LPMLKEC/

There is some reviews there too.
post #36 of 1959 Old 10-28-2015, 11:26 AM

I've tried directional cables from Monoprice (15') and Monster (35') (twice) and none of them work for 4k@60hz 4:4:4 on an LG 65EF9500 from a GTX970. Nearly all of my cheap/old cables work, but they're shorter runs-- 6'. A 24' Rocketfish-branded cable from Best Buy worked too, but I need a 35' run.

I just don't think the directional cables are capable of it at any length.
post #37 of 1959 Old 10-29-2015, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Well, I'm glad I finally found this discussion, I too an having problems going over any distance going 4k@60Hz, 4:4:4 chroma. I tried a new cable but it did no better than 30Hz like an old cable. I'm wondering if 24awg would help, I know I was originally trying 25 ft but can deal with 20 ft length if it will work.
post #38 of 1959 Old 10-29-2015, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

And I should mention I have both a Roku 4 and a GeForce GTX 950 to try with. From another discussion on a TV thread for an off brand not discussed here, someone posted that a $17 15 ft cable on Amazon worked for them, but 20 ft is the shortest I can go for my application and an hoping to discover a twenty footer that will work. Both Roku and PC work great with a 5 ft cable.
post #39 of 1959 Old 10-29-2015, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I had the best luck with the KabelDirekt PRO series but I was only doing 15' at 4:2:0. There is a 25' version you could try: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DI8A3HQ
danbfree likes this.
post #40 of 1959 Old 10-29-2015, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The 20ft Kabeldirect Pro worked for me 4K/60 444 direct from GTX980 to TV.
I have since switched to the 15ft and a 10ft Pro Series since I got a 4K AVR in Sept.
Go as short as possible with 4K/60 444. The 25ft might not work. The 20ft should work. YMMV
danbfree likes this.

Last edited by doctorwizz; 10-30-2015 at 04:43 PM.
post #41 of 1959 Old 10-29-2015, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyxle View Post
I had the best luck with the KabelDirekt PRO series but I was only doing 15' at 4:2:0. There is a 25' version you could try: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DI8A3HQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwizz View Post
I have since switched to the 15ft and a 10ft Pro Series since I got a 4K AVR in Sept.
Go as short as possible with 4K/60 444. The 25ft might not work. The 20ft should work. YMMV

Currently unavailable on Amazon (20ft). Says:
Item Under Review
This item is currently unavailable because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)
We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'm sending back a 2nd different model to Amazon as "defective", although claimed to support HDMI 2.0 specs/18Gbps, it couldn't even do 4K@30Hx at 25 feet long like my old sturdy one I have does... I'll try one of the Kabledirect at 20 foot next!

EDIT: FYI, the KabelDirekt TOP series is the same as the PRO series without the cute outer braiding. I'm trying a 20 foot of one of those, I couldn't care less as this cable will be routed out of view anyway, the 20ft length is not on hold on Amazon, and it's like a buck less too... If a $13 20ft cable works for me I'll be happy!

Last edited by danbfree; 10-29-2015 at 05:59 PM.
post #42 of 1959 Old 10-30-2015, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Everyone, I posted this on another forum as well.

At this point, there is nothing out there that will properly negotiate 60p signals. (Edit: HDMI cables over certain lengths.)

Quick rundown, we were hit by lightning this past April and everything was knocked out and replaced by insurance. Currently, I have two room systems, froma central rack. The LVR is driven by a new Marantz AV8802A pre-pro/MM8077 running to a new Samsung UN65JS9500 TV. Both pre-pro and TV are fully HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 certified; the MBR is driven by a Pioneer Elite VSX-90 AVR running to a new Samsung UN55JS9000 TV. The TV is fully HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2, the VSX Elite has 3 HDMI inputs that are HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2. I am using MyCableMart Elite HDMI cables (Redmere PRA1700 chip) of 35ft and 40ft, in-wall from the rack to the TV's.

When the TV's are in UHD color port mode, all internally generated 60 Hz signals from the pre-pro to the TV are blocked, which includes the video interfaces for Bluetooth, AirPlay and FM Tuner. The same is true for the VSX Elite, as well as anything connected to regular HDMI ports.

All of this was subsequently verified by our local home theater company, Custom Integrators.

I wrote MyCableMart tech support last week and did not hear from them, so I called them today. I was read a statement from the tech support rep dated October 5, 2015 from HDMI.org giving notice to a new certification program. I was informed that HDMI has now backtracked from the information they released earlier saying that if a cable met 1.4 certifications, then it would meet 2.0/2.0a certifications. This puts them and any retailers out there marketing a cable as being fully certified for full 4K bandwidth at a disadvantage with statements that are now proved false by HDMI.org. I was also told that any cable shorter than 15ft with no Redmere chip and up to 20ft with Redmere technology would fully support full 4K bandwidth. Now, these Elite cables are a lifetime guarantee warranty, so I was told I should get new cables once they are developed and support full 4K for these distances.

That being said, I had a brand new, unopened 15ft, 18gbps, Monoprice Redemere chip, ultra slim cable. I opened it up and ran it directly from each unit to the LVR JS9500 TV. I get the exact same failures. The tech rep from MyCableMart was very interested in this, as it contradicts what they have been told since this HDMI.org press release.

Now, these Elite cables from MyCableMart negotiate 30p/24p at 3840x2160 without a hiccup. At this time, the only sources I have that are full 4K/60p running from the AV equipment to the TV's are the internally generated video interfaces from Bluetooth, AirPlay and FM tuner. So, a Roku 4 or something like that, I cannot state emphatically that this will fail or not. Presumably, so, though.

The worst past is after a bit of constructive and extremely nice support from MyCableMart, management and the owner have decided to not stand behind the lifetime warranty replacement. Since they do not have anything to replace them with and will not for the foreseeable future, MyCableMart has decided to offer a refund only for those who report the 60 Hz issue by TODAY. I'll post the e-mails in a separate post.

Last edited by fizban11; 10-30-2015 at 08:04 PM.
post #43 of 1959 Old 10-30-2015, 04:17 PM

On Oct 30, 2015, at 1:09 PM, @mycablemart.com> wrote:
Hello Ryan,

Here is the email we received from management regarding this issue. I hope this brings some clarity and a possible resolve. I again apologize for the frustration.

Special Return Policy:For customers that have previously purchased our 25 to 65 ELITE cables (ie metal ends with Redmere chip) that contact us with a specific complaint that they are NOT supporting their 4Kx2K content at 60Hz will be offered the ability to RETURN such cables (shipping PRE-PAID by us) for purchases made PRIOR to today. I will update the tech notes of the specific cables that are affected. If this cable was the ONLY cable in their order, the refund will also include the shipping that they originally paid OUTBOUND.

Sincerely,

Customer Service

Sent: Friday, October 30, 2015 2:00 PM
To: @mycablemart.com
Subject: Re: My Cable Mart Order 1437166966-842

CS,

First, neither you nor your company needs to apologize for this issue. HDMI.org is responsible. The only frustration I have is that sending these in under a normal return/refund leaves me with no way to get signals to the TV's since what I have is from a central rack, running in-wall to each TV location.

So what should I do? Returning them for a refund is all well and good, but there is currently nothing to replace them with.

As I said, I have these cables running in-wall from the rack to each TV location. Removing these will leave me with no way to get a picture to at least the MBR TV since its location is too far from the rack. For the LVR TV, I could run a cable across the floor, but I'm fairly certain my wife would not be amenable to this idea.

I tried a Monoprice 15ft Redmere chip, 18 gbps cable and it had the same failures from each AVR to the LVR TV.

Am I allowed to wait until your company has something that works to replace? I would hate to pull these cables out of the wall and send them to you with no way to watch anything. Or worse, get new cables only to find out they also do not work.

Thoughts?

Regards,

Ryan Dalrymple

On Oct 30, 2015, at 2:36 PM, Dan K <dank@mycablemart.com> wrote:
Ryan,

Since we have no ETA on when the revisions will be available, I don’t believe there is an alternative option at this point. I’ve talked with my management and the owner of the company. They have both expressed that the only option that they are willing to honor is the return for refund.

If it were my decision, I would allow you to keep what you have and then have those replaced with the new revisions when they’re available. Unfortunately it’s outside of my grasp.

I again apologize.

Customer Service

Sent: Friday, October 30, 2015 3:14 PM
To: @mycablemart.com
Subject: Re: My Cable Mart Order 1437166966-842

CS,

It's not your fault. However, now your management and the owner of the company are saying they won't allow us to wait until there is resolution. That will generate a lot of negative views of MyCableMart online, both on your website and forums, such as AVSForum.

I noticed that the website for these cables has now changed under the description to reflect only 30 Hz. However, at the top, there is still a blanket statement that all of your high speed HDMI cables support "4Kx2K at 30 or 60 Hz." Additionally, the link to click for more info on HDMI 2.0 also states the same "60p" information.

So, from the info you passed along today, MyCableMart has continued selling and marketing these cables for 60 Hz after October 5, 2015, when you stated MyCableMart found out from HDMI.org that these cables do not support beyond 30 Hz. Shame on your company and shame on your owner.

I have lost my $160 on two cables of 35 ft and 40 ft. MyCableMart has lost my respect and will probably lose many customers over this. Not because of the failure of the cables, but because neither management nor the owner wish to do the right thing by all who have purchased these cables.

Good luck,

Regards,

Ryan Dalrymple
AVP of Sales & Marketing
The TAFFY Software Corporation

Last edited by fizban11; 10-30-2015 at 09:31 PM.
post #44 of 1959 Old 10-30-2015, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Redmeres don't work at 4K.
What is your 4K source? Right now the only 4K sources are Nvidia 900 series and Roku 4. Or an upscaled AVR video (useless).

I'm confused by this statement:

"At this point, there is nothing out there that will properly negotiate 60p signals."

4K/60 works fine here.
post #45 of 1959 Old 10-30-2015, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Redmeres don't work at 4K.
What is your 4K source? Right now the only 4K sources are Nvidia 900 series and Roku 4. Or an upscaled AVR video (useless).

I'm confused by this statement:

"At this point, there is nothing out there that will properly negotiate 60p signals."

4K/60 works fine here.
Yep, I'm having no problem with Roku 4 or my GTX 950 with a thin cord HDMI 2.0 compliant 5 foot cable with 4K@60Hz and even full 4:4:4 chroma since my TV supports it... But my PC is in the opposite corner of the room from my TV so I'm trying KableDirekt 20 foot now that I'll receive tomorrow
doctorwizz likes this.
post #46 of 1959 Old 10-30-2015, 08:51 PM

I reported the issue to MyCableMart in June, including pointing out other posts here and on Amazon with people experiencing the problem, and fought them to get a return.

They have had plenty of time to address or change marketing. No reason to wait for HDMI.org to "make them aware" that the cables Redmere 18gbps chip is not compatible.
post #47 of 1959 Old 10-30-2015, 08:54 PM

Doctorwizz and Danbfree,

My fault. I edited my comments to over certain lengths of HDMI cables.

According to MyCableMart rep, HDMI.org has admitted to retailers that the official statement that HDMI.org put out that "any HDMI cable certified as high speed to 1.4b standards would also meet all HDMI 2.0 standards and could be marketed as 2.0 cables" was wrong. This may have been the plan all along to get companies to buy into the new HDMI certification program that HDMI.org announced on October 5th, 2015, it may be that HDMI.org truly thought these cables would handle the 60 Hz requirement over all lengths. Regardless, my home theater company used a passive cable under 15ft and it handled the 60 Hz 4K signal without any problem. Same length with a Redmere active cable, no dice, regardless if from Monoprice or MyCableMart. The MyCableMart cable is using the Redmere PRA1700 chip. However, Monoprice actually told me that they were not allowed to confirm if their cable I used, #10767 , was the same chip or not. They acted like it was a government secret. I did inquire after October 5th, so they may also be scrambling to figure out their plan of action since these cables will not negotiate 4K @ 60 Hz as advertised.

The source is an internally generated video interface from each AVR/Pre-pro (Pio VSX-90 Elite and Marantz AV8802A). When you select these on the AV equipment, the signal is from a board inside the AV equipment and output on the HDMI out of each to the TV via the cable. The Marantz tech support said that their machine will check on the other end of the cable to see what the max display capability is and match. In this case, 4K @ 60 Hz for the Samsung UN65JS9500 when the port is in UHD mode. Therefore, the signal is not up-converted, but natively generated 4K @ 60 Hz. However, the signal will not show on the TV. Take the TV out of UHD mode, it shows, with a resolution of 3840x2160 @30 Hz. From what Marantz tech support told me, the Marantz is seeing the TV is capable of 3840x2160 @60 Hz and sends that native signal, but the cable will not allow the signal. This was verified by our local home theater company.

The MyCableMart tech rep was very nice and told me that they were assured by HDMI.org that any HDMI cable rated high speed and under 15ft will properly negotiate 60 Hz, Redmere or passive. He said that any cable that is Redmere active up to 20Ft will properly negotiate 4K 60 Hz. Anything over 20 ft, they have been told by HDMI.org will not work, and even then, some are questionable. 30 Hz and below 4K signals are unaffected on the cable lengths I have of 35ft and 40ft. Now, is this the fault of the cable or the Redmere chip? I don't know since Monoprice won't give up the ID of the chip in this cable #10767 . If it's the same PRA1700 chip, it could be that Redmere is at fault. If it's a different chip, from 2014, then it could be that HDMI.org is in the wrong and MyCableMart marketed it as compliant with 60 Hz since they were told it was OK to do so by HDMI.org.

Regarding Roku 4 that was mentioned by Danbfree: if the Roku 4 is right next to the TV and connected by less than 15ft, then 4K should be fine as you have stated. I don't now about going through 2 different cables, one to an AVR and then out from the AVR to the TV. I guess as long as the total length is less than 15ft, but this is above my pay-grade.

In summary, if you are looking for an HDMI cable to future-proof for 4K @ 60 Hz and the run is over 15ft, then the Redmere chip cables Elite from MyCableMart and #10767 15ft from Monoprice will not work. And it seems that MyCableMart will not honor their ltd lifetime warranty and replace the cable once they have a solution. They are only offering a refund if I send these cables back to them right now. Since one TV is too far away to run a cable across the room and down floor boards and my wife would balk at a cable across the room for the other TV, I am left with having to keep the cables in place for 30 Hz for now and pull them and replace them once HDMI.org gets their new HDMI 2.0 certification process in place and these cables hit the market.

I'm not going to get into a shouting match with MyCableMart, nor am I going to advise anyone to stay away from these cables. In the grand scheme of life, $160 of insurance money was wasted on these cables and it won't break me or the bank. I'm just putting the info out their so others can make an informed decision.

Last edited by fizban11; 10-30-2015 at 09:33 PM.
post #48 of 1959 Old 10-30-2015, 09:03 PM

Pyxle,

MyCableMart probably thought they were in the right and that the cables were fine and certified 2.0 due to meeting 1.4b standards. After the October 5th press release from HDMI.org, they have had to backtrack. However, being told that even the owner will not allow for these cables to be replaced once there is a solution definitely makes me want to take my business elsewhere when cables are finally available. It may not be their fault IF HDMI.org overstated these cable capabilities, but it is their cable, sold on their website, and their owner who doesn't want to do the right thing. It's a shame. It's hard to overcome these things with an internet business. Reputation online is everything today.

FYI: the MyCableMart tech rep told me that I was the first person he had spoken with that has brought up this issue with their Elite cables. If you have reached out since June, this tells me that MCM didn't want the problem to be known within the company.

Last edited by fizban11; 10-30-2015 at 09:34 PM.
post #49 of 1959 Old 10-30-2015, 09:43 PM

Sounds like another marketing scam to confuse the consumer on HDMI 1.4 vs HDMI 2.0 and cable specs, not hardware specs. Didn't HDMI.org state that the current passive high speed HDMI cables could handle the HDMI 2.0 hardware specs? 18Gbps is nice but is there any hardware that can reliably send that?
post #50 of 1959 Old 10-30-2015, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbfree View Post
so I'm trying KableDirekt 20 foot now that I'll receive tomorrow
Let us know if this works. Personally, I need a longer run for each TV, but it would be nice to know if it does.
post #51 of 1959 Old 10-30-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Sounds like another marketing scam to confuse the consumer on HDMI 1.4 vs HDMI 2.0 and cable specs, not hardware specs. Didn't HDMI.org state that the current passive high speed HDMI cables could handle the HDMI 2.0 hardware specs? 18Gbps is nice but is there any hardware that can reliably send that?
You are right, this is what HDMI.org previously stated. However, according to MyCableMart, HDMI.org has now told the retailers since the October 5th announcement that they were wrong in saying that the 1.4b specs could handle the HDMI 2.0 hardware specs and that they are now backtracking from this. So, if this is true, IF, then the retailers were lied to by HDMI.org, or HDMI.org overstated before they knew all lengths of HDMI cables would not support 4K @ 60 Hz, but only to 30 Hz. Regardless, now HDMI.org is starting a different certification program for 2.0/2.0a standards.

The hardware for 18Gbps will be coming in the form of Blu-Ray either before Christmas or just after. The Roku 4 supports 4K signals, but let's face it, no one is steaming download speeds of 18gbps to their home!
post #52 of 1959 Old 10-31-2015, 04:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizban11 View Post
You are right, this is what HDMI.org previously stated. However, according to MyCableMart, HDMI.org has now told the retailers since the October 5th announcement that they were wrong in saying that the 1.4b specs could handle the HDMI 2.0 hardware specs and that they are now backtracking from this. So, if this is true, IF, then the retailers were lied to by HDMI.org, or HDMI.org overstated before they knew all lengths of HDMI cables would not support 4K @ 60 Hz, but only to 30 Hz. Regardless, now HDMI.org is starting a different certification program for 2.0/2.0a standards.

The hardware for 18Gbps will be coming in the form of Blu-Ray either before Christmas or just after. The Roku 4 supports 4K signals, but let's face it, no one is steaming download speeds of 18gbps to their home!
Turn of the scaling on the AVR. The TV will upscale much better.
18Gbps is referring to the data bandwidth of the cable which has nothing to do with download speeds.
danbfree and King Richard like this.
post #53 of 1959 Old 10-31-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:

That is good news that HDMI.org is, or will be, approving a certification program for HDMI 2.0 like they did for HDMI 1.4. My guess is that the 18Gbps reliability threw them because they didn't anticipate HDMI 2.0/HDCP2.2 chipsets coming to market in new devices this fast. I've never been a real fan of HDMI to begin with but it's what we are stuck with currently. That's why I strongly recommend the use of conduit for long or difficult to get to cable runs. HDMI will run it's course and a new and better connection technology will take it's place. However, I digress. I think distance will still be a problem for the certification and we may be limited to a certifiable distance like we are at 25' for current passive HDMI.

All this points to, imo, how the cable industry plays fast and loose with their marketing and labeling claims. Just like the tv industry did when HDMI 2.0 was first announced and, to a certain degree, 4k labeling of tv's. That forces the consumer to really dig around and find information and not depend solely on slick marketing ads or clueless sales people who are trying to push a product. With Black Friday (Week) rapidly approaching there are going to be tons of people who will be caught like a deer in headlights with all the claims, great prices, etc and buy away. Only to find out 6 months to a year from now that their purchase can't really do what they thought, or wanted.
post #54 of 1959 Old 10-31-2015, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Let us know if this works. Personally, I need a longer run for each TV, but it would be nice to know if it does.
KableDirekt 20 ft Pro cable from Amazon works! $13 on Prime... From what looks like pro's have said, all properly rated Category 2 High Speed cables SHOULD work up to 25 feet so I'm guessing this KableDirekt one would have worked up to 25 feet as well, but I'm happy where I'm at now. Hope this helps.
doctorwizz likes this.
post #55 of 1959 Old 10-31-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
MyCableMart probably thought they were in the right and that the cables were fine and certified 2.0 due to meeting 1.4b standards.
It's not a matter of opinion; I gave them multiple reports and enough information to reproduce the fault if they wanted to. Apparently they did not try, and relied on HDMI.org's assurances despite consistent customer complaints.

The problem lies with the way the Redmere PRA1700 processes 4k 60hz. You can tell that a cable contains this chip if it's marketed as a Redmere 18Gbps cable. However, bandwidth doesn't actually matter; 4:2:0 chroma subsampling doesn't work and that is only 10Gbps.

Presumably Redmere will release a new chip compliant with the revised 2.0 standard.

Last edited by Pyxle; 10-31-2015 at 06:56 PM.
post #56 of 1959 Old 10-31-2015, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbfree View Post
KableDirekt 20 ft Pro cable from Amazon works! $13 on Prime... From what looks like pro's have said, all properly rated Category 2 High Speed cables SHOULD work up to 25 feet so I'm guessing this KableDirekt one would have worked up to 25 feet as well, but I'm happy where I'm at now. Hope this helps.
And what is the industry agreed upon definition of Category 2 High Speed Cable? Is it the fire rating of the cable or a standard for HDMI? Passive High Speed HDMI cables can be rated up to 25' if you get a certificate that says the length of cable you purchased has been tested at that length. Is the rating certified for the length of cable you bought?
post #57 of 1959 Old 10-31-2015, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So you ended up being exactly right, thanks for pointing me the right way!
post #58 of 1959 Old 10-31-2015, 09:13 PM

I guess Redmere is Spectra7 now, after some merging and reorganization.

Note that the PRA1700 placemat does not mention HDMI 2.0 or 4K, and also that the design is old (2013): http://www.spectra7.com/pdfs/product...duct-Brief.pdf

The HT7180 (2014) does mention it: http://www.spectra7.com/pdfs/product...S-20140910.pdf

Possibly the HT8181 (2015) handles it as well, although details are limited: http://www.spectra7.com/Spectra7-HT8...41120-A6-F.pdf. Supposedly the Ethereal Velox cable series has this chip, if you can find one.

If you want to know more about the company: http://www.spectra7.com/Spectra7-Cor...Oct05-2015.pdf
post #59 of 1959 Old 11-01-2015, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

And what is the industry agreed upon definition of Category 2 High Speed Cable? Is it the fire rating of the cable or a standard for HDMI? Passive High Speed HDMI cables can be rated up to 25' if you get a certificate that says the length of cable you purchased has been tested at that length. Is the rating certified for the length of cable you bought?
All I know is that the speed is either category one or two and the CL rating is the fire rating... and *speed* rating should be good up to 25 feet but obviously we're seeing many cables not meeting that.

Last edited by danbfree; 11-02-2015 at 08:48 AM. Reason: auto correct fail
post #60 of 1959 Old 11-01-2015, 12:29 PM

That's one of the misleading statements that cable mfrs purposely do. Sure, passive HDMI 1.4 calibration is good up to 25' but you need to look carefully to see if the length of cable you are purchasing has been certified for that particular length. HDMI 1.4 is rated for 10.2Gbps. 18.2Gbps is just starting to get tested but just because the cable can transmit at 18.2Gbps doesn't necessarily mean that it can meet all of the HDMI specs at that bandwidth. Until HDMI.org approves a certification procedure and organization, cable mfrs can still play loose with what they state. I'm waiting for a cable that comes with a Certificate that "x" length meets all HDMI 2.0 hardware specification at 18.2Gbps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page