HDMI cables that support 4K@60Hz, 4:4:4 chroma, and Deep Color? - Page 65 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 283Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1921 of 1959 Old 09-18-2017, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 11,421
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1669 Post(s)
Liked: 1044
Quote:
Originally Posted by netroamer View Post
I wish you were correct...but in this case, like the previous, it left their facility today with a delivery date of Wednesday. As of this morning, the tracking info on the Monoprice site stated delivery today.
Hmmm, if it left their facility today, then Wed. would meet the 2-3 day delivery time. You ordered on Friday, the weekend doesn't count, which I think it should. Sounds like Monoprice and USPS needs to get on the same page. I've always had my orders delivered when they were supposed to be and sometimes they came early. Patience young Luke, patience.
Otto Pylot is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1922 of 1959 Old 09-18-2017, 06:42 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Scotland
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post
A 33' (10m) Ruipro Hybrid Fibre HDMI cable will support all current HDMI Formats and is around $160.

Like any HDMI cable pre-test in your system before you 'install' the cable and ensure it can be easily replaced in case of damage or failure.

Joe


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Think I'm going to need one of these 10m Ruipro cables!

Do you supply these in the UK Joe??

Cheers,

Andy.
Andy_Snap is offline  
post #1923 of 1959 Old 09-19-2017, 12:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Joe Fernand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Scotland, UK
Posts: 2,333
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Hi Andy

We cover the UK and most of the rest of Europe from our base in the 'Borders'

Joe
Andy_Snap likes this.

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

Ruipro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial system Design, Consultancy, Installation, Supply and Integration.
Joe Fernand is online now  
 
post #1924 of 1959 Old 09-20-2017, 07:44 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Scotland
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post
Hi Andy

We cover the UK and most of the rest of Europe from our base in the 'Borders'

Joe
Thanks Joe, good to know - projector arrives this week and I'll test the cable I have just now
but I think I already know what the result will be........
In which case I'll give you a shout for the Ruipro!
Andy_Snap is offline  
post #1925 of 1959 Old 09-20-2017, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Joe Fernand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Scotland, UK
Posts: 2,333
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 225
You never know your existing cable may be fine.

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

Ruipro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial system Design, Consultancy, Installation, Supply and Integration.
Joe Fernand is online now  
post #1926 of 1959 Old 09-20-2017, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
madbrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 672
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post
Just received a Monoprice email with their new HOSS Installer Grade Active HDMI cables. They aren't Premium Certified, but it will still be an interesting one to try given they are active, 24 AWG and available in longer runs.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=14467
Has anyone tried this cable yet ?
madbrain is offline  
post #1927 of 1959 Old 09-21-2017, 08:31 AM
Member
 
Aurylian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 15
First projector is coming in about one week. I need about 55-60' HDMI to get to my projector due to room issues. So, I ordered a RUIPRO from Amazon that was "In Stock" but forgot to look at the fine print that said it would be shipped to me sometime in the next 30-45 days. Not sure how RUIPRO shipping works, but that seems a bit long for something that is in stock. So, next went to the fall back of MONOPRICE fiber and the length I need is out of stock. The only monoprice top cable available for quick shipping is 150' at $246.

So, my options are:

RUIPRO and just wait for it;
Monoprice 150' at $246;
FIBBR 65' at $329 (any reason why these are more $$? better tech?)
Other?
Aurylian is offline  
post #1928 of 1959 Old 09-22-2017, 07:28 AM
Member
 
rv75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by netroamer View Post
I am posting this in this forum because of the multiple mentions of Monoprice.

On Friday I ordered a cable from them. The order was placed well before their cut-off time of 2PM Pacific, for same day shipping, with the 2-3 day USPS Priority selected as the ship method.
Later that afternoon I received a email indicating that the item was "shipped". Later in the evening, using the tracking number I went to the USPS site which showed only that a label was produced with no indication that the item was in the hands of USPS. That status has not changed as of this AM.

This is the third instance in the last orders I have placed to have the same issue.

It's my opinion, shipped means shipped, and that at best this practice is disingenuous and at worst a outright misrepresentation.

Thanks...I feel better!
Did you order their Hoss cable and have you had a chance to test it?
Looking for a good 20 ft cable.

Thanks
rv75 is offline  
post #1929 of 1959 Old 09-22-2017, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
netroamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: In my own little world!
Posts: 712
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by rv75 View Post
Did you order their Hoss cable and have you had a chance to test it?
Looking for a good 20 ft cable.

Thanks
No...I ordered an optical cable.
netroamer is offline  
post #1930 of 1959 Old 09-30-2017, 10:56 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbrain View Post
Has anyone tried this cable yet ?
I just received the 30ft version of this cable and I have achieved the impossible feat- 4K, 60HZ, Chroma 4:4:4 and HDR (Tested with Shadow Warrior 2.) What a cable!
Blarghinston is offline  
post #1931 of 1959 Old 09-30-2017, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
madbrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 672
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarghinston View Post
I just received the 30ft version of this cable and I have achieved the impossible feat- 4K, 60HZ, Chroma 4:4:4 and HDR (Tested with Shadow Warrior 2.) What a cable!
I received the 40ft version of it and tested it yesterday. I am seeing the same as you - tested with brand new Optoma UHD65 projector, Sony UBP-X800 4K player, and "The Magnificent Seven" UHD Blu-Ray HDR.
This is with player hooked up directly to the display as my currently receiver isn't 4K capable. The Sony has a 2nd HDMI output for audio that was going to my receiver.

Edit: stopped working when I moved the cable. It's going back, and I'm keeping the SlimRun AV.

Last edited by madbrain; 09-30-2017 at 11:34 PM.
madbrain is offline  
post #1932 of 1959 Old 09-30-2017, 11:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
madbrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 672
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbrain View Post
I received the 40ft version of it and tested it yesterday. I am seeing the same as you - tested with brand new Optoma UHD65 projector, Sony UBP-X800 4K player, and "The Magnificent Seven" UHD Blu-Ray HDR.
This is with player hooked up directly to the display as my currently receiver isn't 4K capable. The Sony has a 2nd HDMI output for audio that was going to my receiver.
I have to take that back. I moved the HOSS cable around the other side of the room. It stopped working with the UBP-X800, inexplicably. No amount of unplugging and unplugging on either PJ or source side worked.
Even using my Yamaha RX-A1000 HDMI out, which is HDMI 1.4, as source, no picture at all.
Strangely, the cable still worked at 4K/60p with my HTPC. HTPC was freshly upgraded with a GT 1030 video card earlier today.
The inconsistency did not bode well, and I unfortunately had to give up on it. The inconsistency may have to do with the way the cable was wrapped - it was not fully extended/stretched or mounted on my wall. But I was not going to hang an inconsistent cable on my wall.

Reluctantly, I unpacked the SlimRun AV. It worked with all of the sources mentioned, even with about half the size still in a circular loop. Seems like that cable cares much less about being fully extended, likely because it's much thinner than the HOSS cable, and optical.

Now, I get to try with the new Marantz SR7011 in the middle. Wish me luck.

Last edited by madbrain; 09-30-2017 at 11:36 PM.
madbrain is offline  
post #1933 of 1959 Old 10-01-2017, 07:42 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbrain View Post
I have to take that back. I moved the HOSS cable around the other side of the room. It stopped working with the UBP-X800, inexplicably. No amount of unplugging and unplugging on either PJ or source side worked.
Even using my Yamaha RX-A1000 HDMI out, which is HDMI 1.4, as source, no picture at all.
Strangely, the cable still worked at 4K/60p with my HTPC. HTPC was freshly upgraded with a GT 1030 video card earlier today.
The inconsistency did not bode well, and I unfortunately had to give up on it. The inconsistency may have to do with the way the cable was wrapped - it was not fully extended/stretched or mounted on my wall. But I was not going to hang an inconsistent cable on my wall.

Reluctantly, I unpacked the SlimRun AV. It worked with all of the sources mentioned, even with about half the size still in a circular loop. Seems like that cable cares much less about being fully extended, likely because it's much thinner than the HOSS cable, and optical.

Now, I get to try with the new Marantz SR7011 in the middle. Wish me luck.
I am not a professional at any of this by any means. But since this is a new chipset, is it possible there are handshaking issues with your receiver?

My run is extremely simple. Just plugged into my PC and then directly to my TV.
Blarghinston is offline  
post #1934 of 1959 Old 10-01-2017, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
madbrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 672
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarghinston View Post
I am not a professional at any of this by any means. But since this is a new chipset, is it possible there are handshaking issues with your receiver?

My run is extremely simple. Just plugged into my PC and then directly to my TV.
Here are the all tests I performed with the HOSS cable, with results :

Sat morning :
1) UBP-X800 -> HOSS cable -> UHD 65 projector : all good. Watched an entire UHD HDR movie.
No receiver was involved in between.

Sat evening :
2) Just moved the HOSS cable (which was laying on the floor, easy to trip onto) to the left side of the room : no more signal at all. Projector can't detect the source anymore. Still no receiver involved.

3) same test as 2, but unplugged/replugged each side of the connector to make sure it wasn't a loose connection. Still no picture, PJ won't detect the source.

4) Plugged the source side of the HOSS cable directly to HTPC with new GT1030 video card . Projector instantly detected the source, and I got a full 4K/60p signal. Still no receiver involved.

5) plugged the source side of the HOSS cable to Yamaha RX-A1000 (HDMI 1.4 receiver) HDMI monitor out. Still no signal. Projector can't detect source again. The Yamaha receiver normally displays the picture of a grand piano, or the picture from the source.

That is the point at which I gave up on the HOSS cable. If it couldn't even pass an HDMI 1.4 signal, it had to go back.

I switched the 40ft HOSS cable for 50ft SlimRun AV, and repeated the tests 2-5 . They all passed.

Later on, I installed my new Marantz SR7011 receiver. SlimRun AV cable also works fine with the following cases, in addition to everything listed above :
- Dish Hopper satellite DVR (HD model, not 4K) -> Marantz SR7011 -> Optoma UHD65
- Sony UBP-X800 UHD player -> Marantz SR7011 -> Optoma UHD65
- HTPC with GT1030 HDMI 2.0 video card at 4K/60p -> Marantz SR7011 -> Optoma UHD65

Have yet to try the Chromecast Ultra that I also bought yesterday (still in the box).
Also have an old PS3 to connect (used only to rip my SACDs when I buy new disks).
That's all the HDMI sources in my home theater that I have available to test with. Have a bunch more PCs in the house (7!) with other video cards, but not going to move them to the HT room just to try. Only one other GPU I own has HDMI 2.0 support, GTX 960.

I may hookup my old Yamaha DVD-C750 changer which has no HDMI out - best video output is only component out, just to test the component to HDMI upconversion and make sure it still works, especially for my PAL discs. That was OK with my old Yamaha receiver.

Was surprised to see that new Optoma UHD65 projector has no component input. The only analog video input is VGA.
Guess it's time to take the component cable off my wall in the HT room.
nunyabiziz likes this.

Last edited by madbrain; 10-01-2017 at 08:19 AM.
madbrain is offline  
post #1935 of 1959 Old 10-02-2017, 01:39 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Super new at all this, and have no idea how to do the math. Any help will be super appreciated.

The TV is LG B7A, and AppleTV is the 4K one.

Will this cable work for 4K Dolby Vision @ 60 Hz @ 4:4:4 chroma mode (and whatever else max spec that the two devices support)? https://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Cable-6f...dp/B00NQ9OQU2/

Thanks!
rolledoff is offline  
post #1936 of 1959 Old 10-02-2017, 03:14 PM
Member
 
nunyabiziz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbrain View Post
Here are the all tests I performed with the HOSS cable, with results :

Sat morning :
1) UBP-X800 -> HOSS cable -> UHD 65 projector : all good. Watched an entire UHD HDR movie.
No receiver was involved in between.

Sat evening :
2) Just moved the HOSS cable (which was laying on the floor, easy to trip onto) to the left side of the room : no more signal at all. Projector can't detect the source anymore. Still no receiver involved.

3) same test as 2, but unplugged/replugged each side of the connector to make sure it wasn't a loose connection. Still no picture, PJ won't detect the source.

4) Plugged the source side of the HOSS cable directly to HTPC with new GT1030 video card . Projector instantly detected the source, and I got a full 4K/60p signal. Still no receiver involved.

5) plugged the source side of the HOSS cable to Yamaha RX-A1000 (HDMI 1.4 receiver) HDMI monitor out. Still no signal. Projector can't detect source again. The Yamaha receiver normally displays the picture of a grand piano, or the picture from the source.

That is the point at which I gave up on the HOSS cable. If it couldn't even pass an HDMI 1.4 signal, it had to go back.

I switched the 40ft HOSS cable for 50ft SlimRun AV, and repeated the tests 2-5 . They all passed.

Later on, I installed my new Marantz SR7011 receiver. SlimRun AV cable also works fine with the following cases, in addition to everything listed above :
- Dish Hopper satellite DVR (HD model, not 4K) -> Marantz SR7011 -> Optoma UHD65
- Sony UBP-X800 UHD player -> Marantz SR7011 -> Optoma UHD65
- HTPC with GT1030 HDMI 2.0 video card at 4K/60p -> Marantz SR7011 -> Optoma UHD65

Have yet to try the Chromecast Ultra that I also bought yesterday (still in the box).
Also have an old PS3 to connect (used only to rip my SACDs when I buy new disks).
That's all the HDMI sources in my home theater that I have available to test with. Have a bunch more PCs in the house (7!) with other video cards, but not going to move them to the HT room just to try. Only one other GPU I own has HDMI 2.0 support, GTX 960.

I may hookup my old Yamaha DVD-C750 changer which has no HDMI out - best video output is only component out, just to test the component to HDMI upconversion and make sure it still works, especially for my PAL discs. That was OK with my old Yamaha receiver.

Was surprised to see that new Optoma UHD65 projector has no component input. The only analog video input is VGA.
Guess it's time to take the component cable off my wall in the HT room.
Thank you for the great details. Could you please try the HOSS cable with the SR7011?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
nunyabiziz is offline  
post #1937 of 1959 Old 10-03-2017, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
madbrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 672
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyabiziz View Post
Thank you for the great details. Could you please try the HOSS cable with the SR7011?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I packed my HOSS cable already. I didn't see the point of adding a receiver into the picture if the direct connection between source and display failed.
A Monoprice engineer contacted me after my post and is sending me a replacement HOSS cable to try.
I hope it will work as well as the Slimrun.
madbrain is offline  
post #1938 of 1959 Old 10-03-2017, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Glenee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 1,400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolledoff View Post
Super new at all this, and have no idea how to do the math. Any help will be super appreciated.

The TV is LG B7A, and AppleTV is the 4K one.

Will this cable work for 4K Dolby Vision @ 60 Hz @ 4:4:4 chroma mode (and whatever else max spec that the two devices support)? https://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Cable-6f...dp/B00NQ9OQU2/

Thanks!
I don't know , but I am using some of these in 6ft's https://www.amazon.com/Vanco-HDMICP0...dmi+High+Speed
Other's here are having some luck with the 6ft Monoprice Premium Certified.

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

Glenee is offline  
post #1939 of 1959 Old 10-03-2017, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 11,421
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1669 Post(s)
Liked: 1044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post
I don't know , but I am using some of these in 6ft's https://www.amazon.com/Vanco-HDMICP0...dmi+High+Speed
Other's here are having some luck with the 6ft Monoprice Premium Certified.
Any well made High Speed HDMI cable under about 20' length should work just fine. Where folks start having issues is lengths that are longer than about 20'. The cable link above says they are certified but it doesn't say by who so it's anybody's guess. If they work, they work. The Monoprice cables linked to are not certified either but at 6', there shouldn't be any issues. Oxygen-free copper and gold plating mean nothing other than they add cost to the cable.
Otto Pylot is offline  
post #1940 of 1959 Old 10-03-2017, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 887
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Hi GUys

I have been using BlueJean 25 ft cable for almost 1 year for my 4K JVC projector and Samsung UHD player, No problem at all for 25 ft. Here is my cable.

HDMI Cable, BJC Series-1 23 1/2 AWG Belden Bonded-Pair, 25 foot, White~2.74~839~32
Item# HH25WS1~NC02
Roudan is offline  
post #1941 of 1959 Old 10-03-2017, 10:08 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just my 5c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Any well made High Speed HDMI cable under about 20' length should work just fine. Where folks start having issues is lengths that are longer than about 20'. The cable link above says they are certified but it doesn't say by who so it's anybody's guess. If they work, they work. The Monoprice cables linked to are not certified either but at 6', there shouldn't be any issues. Oxygen-free copper and gold plating mean nothing other than they add cost to the cable.
I have purchased this cable Mediabridge HDMI Cable (15 Feet) - Supports 4K@60Hz - High Speed, Hand-Tested, HDMI 2.0 Ready - UHD, 18Gbps, Audio Return Channel, Ethernet (Part# 91-02X-15B ) from Amazon.
my setup is
tv:2017 LG 65e7p - Apple tv4k....... Chroma 4.4.4, 4k HDR 60hz, 4k Dolby vision 60hz DO NOT WORK
All I can do is the 30hz of the above and 4.2.0
They claim they test and hand pick all the cables they make what a bull Will try the mono price certified cable and will report back.
Pusia is offline  
post #1942 of 1959 Old 10-04-2017, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 11,421
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1669 Post(s)
Liked: 1044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusia View Post
I have purchased this cable Mediabridge HDMI Cable (15 Feet) - Supports 4K@60Hz - High Speed, Hand-Tested, HDMI 2.0 Ready - UHD, 18Gbps, Audio Return Channel, Ethernet (Part# 91-02X-15B ) from Amazon.
my setup is
tv:2017 LG 65e7p - Apple tv4k....... Chroma 4.4.4, 4k HDR 60hz, 4k Dolby vision 60hz DO NOT WORK
All I can do is the 30hz of the above and 4.2.0
They claim they test and hand pick all the cables they make what a bull Will try the mono price certified cable and will report back.
All cables are "hand tested" in the literal sense of the word. Individually or batch tested would be more accurate but most cable mfrs will not mention that. I've used MediaBridge in the past and they've been fine (at least for 1080p). 15' is not a bad length but you need to factor in which HDMI chipsets are being used in your source and sink devices because there are other factors that come into play other than the data pipe, which is all the cable is. MediaBridge mentions HDMI 2.0 compatible, but they don't advertise HDMI 2.0b so that may be your problem. Ethernet means nothing.
Otto Pylot is offline  
post #1943 of 1959 Old 10-05-2017, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
apw2607's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 339
I'll just add my few cents to trying out the 30m/65 ft Ruipro HDMI fiber cable.

Seems to work fine between Oppo 203 and Sony XBR 900E at 4K@60Hz.

I don't have a 4K receiver yet, but was interested to know if the Ruipro supports the Audio Return Channel (ARC). So I plugged the cable between receiver and TV. We're just dealing with 1080p at this point, but the results were interesting.

First I found the that the Denon receiver (AVR-4311) didn't seem to like the cable. I had to wiggle it around to get a picture. Next on to the ARC test.

With Youtube or Sony Vue X900E Android TV apps, there were no issues with ARC.

However if I used the 900E Android, Sony 4K Ultra app or Amazon that outputs Dolby Digital +, then the ARC audio would cut in and out. I changed the TV digital audio output to PCM, thinking that might fix the issue, but it didn't.

The moment I used a regular HDMI cable for the 1080p/ARC test with the Sony 4K Ultra or the Amazon app .... there were no issues. Very odd.
apw2607 is offline  
post #1944 of 1959 Old 10-05-2017, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dreamliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,409
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
I'll just add my few cents to trying out the 30m/65 ft Ruipro HDMI fiber cable.

Seems to work fine between Oppo 203 and Sony XBR 900E at 4K@60Hz.

I don't have a 4K receiver yet, but was interested to know if the Ruipro supports the Audio Return Channel (ARC). So I plugged the cable between receiver and TV. We're just dealing with 1080p at this point, but the results were interesting.

First I found the that the Denon receiver (AVR-4311) didn't seem to like the cable. I had to wiggle it around to get a picture. Next on to the ARC test.

With Youtube or Sony Vue X900E Android TV apps, there were no issues with ARC.

However if I used the 900E Android, Sony 4K Ultra app or Amazon that outputs Dolby Digital +, then the ARC audio would cut in and out. I changed the TV digital audio output to PCM, thinking that might fix the issue, but it didn't.

The moment I used a regular HDMI cable for the 1080p/ARC test with the Sony 4K Ultra or the Amazon app .... there were no issues. Very odd.
I wonder what the RUIPRO uses for cable for the ARC. I only recommend RUIPRO for long runs and the Monoprice certified premium cables for everything else (see sig link). After you re-seated the RUIPRO in the 4311 did it give you any more trouble?
Dreamliner is online now  
post #1945 of 1959 Old 10-05-2017, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
apw2607's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
I wonder what the RUIPRO uses for cable for the ARC. I only recommend RUIPRO for long runs and the Monoprice certified premium cables for everything else (see sig link). After you re-seated the RUIPRO in the 4311 did it give you any more trouble?
I'm afraid so. It just didn't like the 4311. So I can't really confidently say there is a issue with ARC and long runs using Ruipro, since it could have being the 4311.

Obviously for folks using the cable with a projector, which is probably the majority, its a moot point anyway.
apw2607 is offline  
post #1946 of 1959 Old 10-05-2017, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 11,421
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1669 Post(s)
Liked: 1044
Ruipro has two cables. One is a hybrid and I believe that it works better for ARC than the non-hybrid cable. ARC is problematic for a lot of setups, especially with 4k HDR. A lot has to do with the HDMI chipset versions you have for source and sink as well, so it's not always just the cable. eARC is part of the new HDMI 2.1 hardware spec, and will probably use the ethernet channel in HDMI cables because HDMI ethernet is meaningless at this point in time. The Ruipro hybrid cable should handle that just fine because it has a copper wire in it as well as fiber. But that's HDMI 2.1 and we are quite a ways off before that becomes the hardware norm. I just don't bother with ARC/CEC and just run everything thru my receiver with an HDMI cable out for video and an optical cable for 5.1 audio for OTA television , and just use a Harmony remote for single remote control of my HTS.
Otto Pylot is offline  
post #1947 of 1959 Old 10-10-2017, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Alex solomon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Can you please recommend a cheap 15' HDMI cables for my Sony X900E. I currently use the Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed HDMI but I find the cable a bit stiff. I am concerned I might damage the HDMI port.
Alex solomon is offline  
post #1948 of 1959 Old 10-10-2017, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 11,421
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1669 Post(s)
Liked: 1044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex solomon View Post
Can you please recommend a cheap 15' HDMI cables for my Sony X900E. I currently use the Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed HDMI but I find the cable a bit stiff. I am concerned I might damage the HDMI port.
If you are using a Premium High Speed HDMI cable then it has been certified by an ATC (Authorized Testing Center) and should have come with a QR code for authenticity. 25' is the maximum certifiable length so you can't really do any better. Being as you run is under 20' you shouldn't have any issues with a good quality, high speed hdmi cable. You may be able to find a thinner gauge Premium High Speed HDMI cable if you search Monoprice. There are tricks you can do to mitigate the strain somewhat, depending on your setup. There are also some HDMI connector devices that you can use that will help with the strain. Sorry, but I can't remember what they are now so hopefully someone will chime in.
Otto Pylot is offline  
post #1949 of 1959 Old 10-11-2017, 09:17 AM
Senior Member
 
PolishDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Made an individual thread but seems like the right thing to do is post here, dad just bought some new home theater equipment. Nothing too fancy, a Samsung UN75MU6300 and a Yamaha V481 receiver and some Polk S Line speakers. The receiver is located on a different wall from the TV, I think the shortest HDMI cable we can get away with is a 35 feet....maybe a 30 feet. He does not have anything too fancy, will most likely be watching 4k netflix off his Amazon Fire TV that is plugged into the receiver, he may get a 4k player at some point, he also uses the Fire TV for his Direct TV Now subscription. He is coming from a Home Theater in a Box and a 10+ year old Plasma TV which for the last couple years had vertical and horizontal dead pixels on it. Anyways, I believe his TV is 4k 60hz capable as well as HDR. My brother bought some $20 50 foot HDMI cable off of amazon and as soon as we tried to play 4k Netflix through it, it lost signal. Is there a decent cable that will meet his needs for under $50? I am not too worried about future proofing but am worried about reliability and it working now and him getting the most out of his shiny new equipment, the cable will be in the wall so rather not have to replace it often. I don't think spending $150+ on a cable is an option for him, he already busted his budget by doing all of the equipment.

Honestly is a better option connecting the Amazon Fire TV directly to the TV and sending an optical cable or ARC signal to the receiver for sound? The new setup is a 5.1 and speaker placement isn't optimal since my dad was also worried about aesthetics since this is his living room. I would rather avoid doing that as it seems pointless to have a receiver and not have it do the audio decoding and I feel an optical out or arc audio limits the audio capabilities.
PolishDude is offline  
post #1950 of 1959 Old 10-11-2017, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
madbrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 672
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishDude View Post
Is there a decent cable that will meet his needs for under $50?
No.
madbrain is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off