1Likes
  • 1 Post By Joe Fernand

post #1 of 14 Old 06-18-2016, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Celerity HDMI-HDMI cable

So, I know these have been mentioned occasionally, just wanted to give my experience so far. Brought two 50ft versions of these from MyCableMart, the price delivered works out to around $213 a cable which is a far cry from the $300-350 that is usually being charged. I technically needed a 35ft and a 50ft but it only worked out about $3 cheaper due to the bulk pricing discount you get from 2+ of the *same* item, so just got two 50's because who doesn't want an extra 15ft for $3! Also, if you have other cables to buy you could potentially end up with free shipping, bringing the price down to around $208 per 50ft cable in quantities of 2+

I've tested one of them between my Sony STR-DN1040 A/V Receiver and my Samsung UN50F6400 TV (so only 1080p) and so far no issues at all, even using ARC although at the moment HDMI-CEC didn't turn on the receiver like it normally does. I have a theory on that though and that's because I powered the receive end (TV) from the TV itself, that doesn't start power until the TV is on, at which point the HDMI-CEC message has probably already been missed so going to test from a separate USB power supply, in fact I intend on using two original Apple USB power supplies since they seem to be some of the most stable. It's unclear if you have to power the transmit end although it has provisions for it, I may just do it anyway.

This is ultimately going to be for a projector but ironically I found out the pain some of you guys suffer with subwoofer hum. With the AVR and TV turned off (and the sub had long since auto-off), *as soon* as I unplugged the HDMI cable between the AVR and TV the sub switched on and started humming! Even with the Celerity plugged in it didn't stop, not surprising really since each end is electrically isolated. The good news is, as soon as the AVR turned on, the hum stopped.

Now, unfortunately I don't have any 4K/4:4:4/HDR/Deep Colour/Blah Blah Blah equipment to test with however, if anyone in the San Antonio, TX area does and wants me to pop over with the cable, I'm happy to try before these get put in the walls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-18-2016, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1625 Post(s)
Liked: 1020
Use a 1.5" - 2.0" conduit for your in-wall installation so you can easily repair/replace the cables. Celerity makes decent cables but be wary of the claims and market-speak. The cables are also fairly thin so watch the bend radius. No mention on whether the cables are certified (guaranteed) to work reliably at those lengths so thoroughly test them out before installing in-wall. What's the warranty on the cables? Good luck.
post #3 of 14 Old 06-18-2016, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Use a 1.5" - 2.0" conduit for your in-wall installation so you can easily repair/replace the cables. Celerity makes decent cables but be wary of the claims and market-speak. The cables are also fairly thin so watch the bend radius. No mention on whether the cables are certified (guaranteed) to work reliably at those lengths so thoroughly test them out before installing in-wall. What's the warranty on the cables? Good luck.
There's going to be several conduits run in the wall as I have a looooooot of cable that needs to be run and I've run fiber in datacenters so I know how to handle it without damaging it.

As for the cable, they claim the whole nine yards like many of them do but I needed a solution now and out of the options, when you need 50ft of cable the research and the one that's most likely to work, Celerity seems to be the best bet and supposedly they have updated ends that while still not 'certified' apparently support their claims.

Ideally I'd like to test it out fully with someone who has 4k/4:4:4/HDR/Deep Colour/Blah Blah Blah equipment but at the end of the day, they work fine with 1080p which is what I have so far, it isn't a finger width thick with an insane bend radius and has detachable ends that makes it easier to install and possibly replace later on if needs be.

Also, the HDMI-CEC thing seems to have automatically fixed itself without me changing anything, I guess it just needed to be powered on once for it to work fine after.

post #4 of 14 Old 06-19-2016, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1625 Post(s)
Liked: 1020
^^^^^ all you can do is try. Some have had success with solid core CAT-6a (non-CCS and not CAT-6 ethernet patch cable). You can get it in 26AWG but the ends have to be terminated with active termination such as HDBT. However, for what you're going to pay for FO, the cost doesn't seem unreasonable. There is supposed to be updates to the HDBT termination ends for better timing/error correction etc so replacing the ends would be no more difficult than what you plan for the FO. The nice thing about solid core CAT-6a is that you can also used it to extend an ethernet connection by just using punch-down keystone jacks. However, I'm not sure if ARC is capable with solid core CAT-6a so that is a consideration if you need ARC/CEC. I don't so I can't comment one way or another. I just use an optical cable and a Harmony remote.

Last edited by Otto Pylot; 06-19-2016 at 08:17 AM.
post #5 of 14 Old 06-19-2016, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked: 261
I bought the 40' Celerity DFO a couple of months ago from Amazon for $250. Like you, my projector is 10.2 Gpbs HDMI 2.0, so I don't have full HDMI bandwidth to test with. Before the DFO I tried one active cable (a MyCableMart 30' Elite Redmere) and several different combinations of passive cables with active baluns, but had frequent ongoing issues with HDMI sync and dropout. The Celerity DFO has completely eliminated all of these issues. I'm very happy.

As Otto Pylot pointed out, if I have problems in the future when upgrading to 18.2 Gbps HDMI, I should be able to replace the transmitter/receiver boxes at the ends of the fiber to get more performance as needed. No need to ever re-purchase or re-install the cable itself.
post #6 of 14 Old 06-19-2016, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellh44 View Post
Before the DFO I tried one active cable (a MyCableMart 30' Elite Redmere) and several different combinations of passive cables with active baluns, but had frequent ongoing issues with HDMI sync and dropout. The Celerity DFO has completely eliminated all of these issues. I'm very happy.
Yeah so far so good, other than the ground loop hum I introduced by NOT having my AVR and TV electrically connected, I've had zero problems running it so far, no drop outs, not sync issues but then this is just one setup, more testing is needed.

Looking for more Celerity owners to chime in with their thoughts/reviews/findings/etc!
post #7 of 14 Old 11-18-2016, 02:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Send a message via Skype™ to Mojito
Hi
I need a 18Gbs cable for my projector supporting HDMI 2.0 and all new formats. I am considering Celrity cable, which according to specs and tests should support required length and transfer rate.
However, I cabe accross a listing on e-bay, where on the box it stated throughput of only 16 gbps. Can anyone clarify, what is the bitrate capacity of this cable?
post #8 of 14 Old 11-18-2016, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 146
This link should probably be a posted thread called "Proven 18gbps" cables. http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...eY1Pjeqy3KP.97

While some not tested cables may work or some cables may work for some situations and not others this is what we have at this time.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
post #9 of 14 Old 11-18-2016, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojito View Post
Hi
I need a 18Gbs cable for my projector supporting HDMI 2.0 and all new formats. I am considering Celrity cable, which according to specs and tests should support required length and transfer rate.
However, I cabe accross a listing on e-bay, where on the box it stated throughput of only 16 gbps. Can anyone clarify, what is the bitrate capacity of this cable?
That is the older version. It will not handle full 18Gbps. Make sure you get the new model if you want a fully 18Gbps compliment cable.

I have installed new Celerity Fiber Cables to feed my Sony 5000ES 4K Laser and a JVC RS-600. The new boxes say 18Gbps, and the new ones work flawlessly.

I can pass 4K@60 4:4:4 8bit and 4K@60 4:2:2 12bit.

The new models are in boxes labeled for 18Gbps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7465_1479490932072.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	1776481  
post #10 of 14 Old 11-18-2016, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Send a message via Skype™ to Mojito
Thanks for clarification. Can you please measure the total length of the connector (both, optical part and HDMI part) which is between the surface of the device and where the cable can be bent. I have limited clearance between the back of the projector and the wall, and want to make sure it will fit.

Отправлено с моего SM-N910C через Tapatalk
post #11 of 14 Old 02-10-2017, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojito View Post
Thanks for clarification. Can you please measure the total length of the connector (both, optical part and HDMI part) which is between the surface of the device and where the cable can be bent. I have limited clearance between the back of the projector and the wall, and want to make sure it will fit.

Отправлено с моего SM-N910C через Tapatalk
Here's the actual part together, about 5.5cm:

It was a little fiddly getting a pic with how much I'd be comfortable bending the cable but given how it felt and how much I was willing to bend it, I'd say you would need at least 8cm behind your projector, ideally 9+

To update this thread, I've finally gotten round to running my 50ft Celerity cable through the attic (TWO attics no less!) and I have to say, while I was as careful as possible, while trying to traverse through the attics, stepping on the beams and trying to balance while running the cable, I thought for sure I had done some permanent damage to the cable.

Low and behold, it's up and running just fine! It's a lot stronger than I thought it would be! With that being said, one of the two cables I ordered was partially DOA, in that it would work fine but I had to put a little weight on the transmit end otherwise the picture would drop out occasionally. It worked fine otherwise but I spoke to Celerity anyway.

After a very interesting conversation with their engineer who created the cable, he was happy to replace it and the new one is working perfectly fine! Very happy with these and I would not hesitate if needed a long HDMI cable in the future.
post #12 of 14 Old 02-11-2017, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Ignore the packaging - Celerity seem to have old cartons with new Cables at certain lengths!

The important indicator is the T and R marking on the cable and HDMI Dongles.

They should have an Outer Ring - you can see it on the HDMI Dongle in the Pic above this post.

I'd normally expect both the cable and Dongle markings to have the Outer ring!

Joe

PS Also just to clarify that there is no official confirmation that the DOF assembly will allow you to simply upgrade the Dongle to HDMI 2.1!

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions for Residential and Commercial installations.

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial system Design, Consultancy, Installation, Supply and Integration.
post #13 of 14 Old 02-12-2017, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post
Ignore the packaging - Celerity seem to have old cartons with new Cables at certain lengths!

The important indicator is the T and R marking on the cable and HDMI Dongles.

They should have an Outer Ring - you can see it on the HDMI Dongle in the Pic above this post.

I'd normally expect both the cable and Dongle markings to have the Outer ring!

Joe

PS Also just to clarify that there is no official confirmation that the DOF assembly will allow you to simply upgrade the Dongle to HDMI 2.1!
This concerns me... I now have three of these cables and I finally just routed one through two attics no less... They were supposed to support the full 18Gbps....

As for HDMI 2.1 which requires 48Gbps, as far as I discussed with the design engineer, he said said, if they lit up all strands within the cable it would support a max of 36Gbps so we might be SOOL with regards to HDMI 2.1

Now I'm off to check all of my cables and dongles. You say that BOTH the cable AND the dongle should have a ring around the T/R?
post #14 of 14 Old 02-13-2017, 01:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Talk with Celerity - the cables we have here have the Outer ring on both the Dongle and Cable, see pic of the cable installed into one of my test systems.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Celerity DFO - rings.png
Views:	86
Size:	654.8 KB
ID:	1963545  
LondonBenji likes this.

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions for Residential and Commercial installations.

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial system Design, Consultancy, Installation, Supply and Integration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page