UHD Blu-ray and Long HDMI cables - what works ! - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 350Likes

post #31 of 908 Old 07-31-2016, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1478 Post(s)
Liked: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by davisnub View Post
would you say that 30 feet is the wall that cords have? is everything consistent at distances of 30 feet and less?
I'm running 35ft 10m ... thru the "wall"

its 7m or 20ft i believe past which cable choice becomes critical... that said i really only believe its in very short lengths 1-2m or less that any ole *****e appears to work. its not just a cable but equipment combination thing which makes hard and fast statements difficult
Dave Vaughn likes this.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 908 Old 07-31-2016, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
I'm running 35ft 10m ... thru the "wall"

its 7m or 20ft i believe past which cable choice becomes critical... that said i really only believe its in very short lengths 1-2m or less that any ole *****e appears to work. its not just a cable but equipment combination thing which makes hard and fast statements difficult
what irks me is that I can manipulate the system sometimes to play 4K HDR through my setup. My chain is as follows:

Samsung br>Marantz 7702mk2>JVC RS500 I've even removed the marantz out of the chain for comparison and it didn't seem to make a difference. It's strange that it works sometimes but requires lots of adjustments between inputs and disconnecting and reconnecting cables.
post #33 of 908 Old 07-31-2016, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
what irks me is that I can manipulate the system sometimes to play 4K HDR through my setup. My chain is as follows:

Samsung br>Marantz 7702mk2>JVC RS500 I've even removed the marantz out of the chain for comparison and it didn't seem to make a difference. It's strange that it works sometimes but requires lots of adjustments between inputs and disconnecting and reconnecting cables.
being marantz 7702mk2 and the equipment combination should be no issue. am not having any issue here with just the 8802 as different to what you are running. what cable is it you are running ? as that would appear to be the only variable in the mix ? maybe worth trying something else ?

post #34 of 908 Old 07-31-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
being marantz 7702mk2 and the equipment combination should be no issue. am not having any issue here with just the 8802 as different to what you are running. what cable is it you are running ? as that would appear to be the only variable in the mix ? maybe worth trying something else ?
I just contacted monoprice (I'm running the luxe series 35ft cable) because it's the weekend. What baffles me is that it will do 4K HDR but it's quite a process:

1. Have hdmi cord plugged into hdmi 2 on jvc.
2. make sure input is edid b
3. this shows the main menu of the sammy bluray at 1080p
4. begin movie
5. enable edid a. disconnect hdmi cable

at this point, it will show the movie at 4k with hdr. sometimes it will be without hdr.

I'm also seeing if I can acquire the phillips uhd player and see if i get better results
post #35 of 908 Old 08-01-2016, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
Liked: 1546
It's the cable. Return it.
alebonau and HTPCat like this.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
My Atmos Renovation Part 1 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-1
My Atmos Renovation Part 2 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-2
post #36 of 908 Old 08-02-2016, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just contacted monoprice (I'm running the luxe series 35ft cable) because it's the weekend. What baffles me is that it will do 4K HDR but it's quite a process:

1. Have hdmi cord plugged into hdmi 2 on jvc.
2. make sure input is edid b
3. this shows the main menu of the sammy bluray at 1080p
4. begin movie
5. enable edid a. disconnect hdmi cable

at this point, it will show the movie at 4k with hdr. sometimes it will be without hdr.

I'm also seeing if I can acquire the phillips uhd player and see if i get better results
honestly you should be getting all this stage ! as per dave....just return it...

post #37 of 908 Old 08-02-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
It's the cable. Return it.
dave,

i just noticed you live fairly close (i work in the wine industry)! anyways, any particular cord that you'd recommend? I'll probably contact monoprice for a replacement but maybe the cabernet series would work better?
post #38 of 908 Old 08-03-2016, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
dave,

i just noticed you live fairly close (i work in the wine industry)! anyways, any particular cord that you'd recommend? I'll probably contact monoprice for a replacement but maybe the cabernet series would work better?
Cabernet didn't work for me...tried 2 of them. I'm currently using an Audioquest Forest, 8 meter cable. It was the cheapest I could find that actually worked.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
My Atmos Renovation Part 1 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-1
My Atmos Renovation Part 2 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-2
post #39 of 908 Old 08-03-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Cabernet didn't work for me...tried 2 of them. I'm currently using an Audioquest Forest, 8 meter cable. It was the cheapest I could find that actually worked.
dang, I'm looking for 30 feet. I'm hoping that the phillips uhd player will do better than the samsung :crosses fingers:
post #40 of 908 Old 08-03-2016, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked: 1042
Some folks are having luck with Celerity fiber optic cables. An expensive option though.
post #41 of 908 Old 08-04-2016, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Haven't got to hook them up to test yet, but I also just went with the Audioquest Forest (26ft) but I did grab a Cabernet as a backup just to run another option at the same time. Hopefully that works out for me. Never realized when putting all this together that the HDMI cord would end up being one of the biggest headaches.
Dave Vaughn and SimpleTheater like this.
post #42 of 908 Old 08-04-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rengozu View Post
Never realized when putting all this together that the HDMI cord would end up being one of the biggest headaches.
The higher video standards far-outpaced the connection technology and the consumer is paying the price for that. No mfr wants to sell a 4k/UHD panel knowing that the current reliable HDMI connection distance is around 20' for most setups.
Rengozu likes this.
post #43 of 908 Old 08-04-2016, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rengozu View Post
Haven't got to hook them up to test yet, but I also just went with the Audioquest Forest (26ft) but I did grab a Cabernet as a backup just to run another option at the same time. Hopefully that works out for me. Never realized when putting all this together that the HDMI cord would end up being one of the biggest headaches.
wish you all the luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
The higher video standards far-outpaced the connection technology and the consumer is paying the price for that. No mfr wants to sell a 4k/UHD panel knowing that the current reliable HDMI connection distance is around 20' for most setups.
no problem here at 10m/ 35ft
Rengozu likes this.

post #44 of 908 Old 08-04-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:

no problem here at 10m/ 35ft
.... and you are definitely in the minority. Congratulations. I wish all who posted were as lucky as you.
post #45 of 908 Old 08-04-2016, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
.... and you are definitely in the minority. Congratulations. I wish all who posted were as lucky as you.
there is nothing about luck involved sorry
just matter of using something that works. and what use does.

post #46 of 908 Old 08-04-2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:
there is nothing about luck involved sorry
just matter of using something that works. and what use does.
I think there are others who would disagree on the luck part At least you are up and running trouble-free, and that's all that matters.
post #47 of 908 Old 08-04-2016, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think there are others who would disagree on the luck part At least you are up and running trouble-free, and that's all that matters.
as an engineer by profession...not to do with cables....but I dont think good design has anything to do with luck. its rather more a case of being fit for purpose. which seems to be the case here I think.

but yes am happy things are working and seamlessly, would be driving me up the wall otherwise. I remember what was when ws like trying to get going wiht my generic cable !

post #48 of 908 Old 08-05-2016, 10:34 AM

If I can't get a cable that works with 4K HDR, I will probably just run 4K out of my HTPC with madVR and just wait. Hopefully by the time the OPPO UHD player comes out, they'll have a cable that can push 18gbps with no issues at 35 feet
post #49 of 908 Old 08-05-2016, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If I can't get a cable that works with 4K HDR, I will probably just run 4K out of my HTPC with madVR and just wait. Hopefully by the time the OPPO UHD player comes out, they'll have a cable that can push 18gbps with no issues at 35 feet
but there are cables that are working for uhd blu-ray at 35 feet and dont HAVE to wait for the oppo...unless thats what particularly want to do !

post #50 of 908 Old 08-05-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
but there are cables that are working for uhd blu-ray at 35 feet and dont HAVE to wait for the oppo...unless thats what particularly want to do !
yeah but they aren't consistent from one consumer/setup to another. what were some specific cables that you recommended that has worked for all parties that have them just wondering?
Ratman likes this.
post #51 of 908 Old 08-05-2016, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
yeah but they aren't consistent from one consumer/setup to another. what were some specific cables that you recommended that has worked for all parties that have them just wondering?
well mine is consistent for my equipment combination, jvc, marantz sammy for uhd blu-ray. have you tried this to say it doesnt work ? - I've already stated what am using without issue in the opening post, no need to repeat.

I know one other personally atleast using that combination and isn't having a problem.

have you tried any of the known combinations to say they dont work ? (see opening post - no need to repeat)

for uhd blu-ray there are solutions that work. if doing htpc cant comment as can run all sorts of weirdo outputs that way which can cause issues. but uhd blu-ray dont have to keep pulling hair out... I only did that for one week till found something that works

post #52 of 908 Old 08-05-2016, 07:22 PM

Quote:
well mine is consistent for my equipment combination, jvc, marantz sammy for uhd blu-ray. have you tried this to say it doesnt work ? - I've already stated what am using without issue in the opening post, no need to repeat.

I know one other personally atleast using that combination and isn't having a problem.

have you tried any of the known combinations to say they dont work ? (see opening post - no need to repeat)

for uhd blu-ray there are solutions that work. if doing htpc cant comment as can run all sorts of weirdo outputs that way which can cause issues. but uhd blu-ray dont have to keep pulling hair out... I only did that for one week till found something that works
the cables you referenced in your first post are either not provided in the US or outrageously expensive (I would need a 35ft cable).
post #53 of 908 Old 08-05-2016, 08:01 PM

^^^ he's an engineer, so apparently he knows what to look for (according to him ), and he's willing to pay what ever the cost is. On this side of the pond it's not that easy. And to pay the high cost that some of the cable mfrs are asking for is ridiculous.
Ratman and SimpleTheater like this.
post #54 of 908 Old 08-05-2016, 09:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The high costs of cables has to do with their build quality and the ability to work from cable to cable. I'm a big fan of Monoprice, but I know of 4 30 and 35 ft Cabernet and Luxe cables that have all failed to work. Some may work for others, but it's the luck of the draw.

post #55 of 908 Old 08-05-2016, 09:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked: 766
I have heard from others that its the Sammy player that is causing the issue rather than the cable. Perhaps someone has panny 900 to use as player to test with monoprice and others to be 100% sure. So what cable works so far? Blue Jeans? Audio Quest? Even monster advertises it will pass 8K.....look at their advertisement at best buy. LOL (but I seriously doubt it)

Theater: Sony 45es, 120 inch 16:9 screen, Panny BDT500, Rotel RMB-1075, Rotel RSP-1068, Klipsch RP-280F, RP-450C, RP-160M, SVS PB13 x 2, Monster Power Conditioner, GIK acoustic panels

TV Room: Panasonic 60" plasma, Integra DTR-30.3, Axiom Audio M60, VP150, QS8, EP500
post #56 of 908 Old 08-05-2016, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
the cables you referenced in your first post are either not provided in the US or outrageously expensive (I would need a 35ft cable).
I did point to a retailer in the us selling the cable I am using ? if you think the pricey cables are outrageously priced in the us ... try buying them where I am that said am pretty sure in my opening post there is a reference to a relatively affordable cable you should be able to try to see if works. I dont think I can even buy that cable locally here !
wolfanoodle likes this.

Last edited by alebonau; 08-05-2016 at 10:05 PM.
post #57 of 908 Old 08-05-2016, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The high costs of cables has to do with their build quality and the ability to work from cable to cable. I'm a big fan of Monoprice, but I know of 4 30 and 35 ft Cabernet and Luxe cables that have all failed to work. Some may work for others, but it's the luck of the draw.
mono price sure seems to have some QC issues, I myself out the way here would be pretty reluctant buying as he shipping cost back to them all the way back would be a killer. I wonder why they keep telling you they work when they dont ? must be embarrassing for them surely ? are they doing anything to rectify the issue ? as would sure be a good option for people if did indeed work as they say it should

Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
I have heard from others that its the Sammy player that is causing the issue rather than the cable. Perhaps someone has panny 900 to use as player to test with monoprice and others to be 100% sure. So what cable works so far? Blue Jeans? Audio Quest? Even monster advertises it will pass 8K.....look at their advertisement at best buy. LOL (but I seriously doubt it)
my kordz PRS does work as well at my length(35ft 10m) for uhd blu-ray. there is pricey to affordable with some feedback in the opening post

my best suggestion is buy from retailer with a good return policy if unsure. no need for you to pay the price for something of theirs not working as claimed !
Dave Vaughn likes this.

post #58 of 908 Old 08-06-2016, 03:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
Until someone can verify the voltage output from the Samsung HDMI port, we may not know if it is the player or the cable. The better cables that work may simply drop less voltage over the long runs, but that doesn't mean the Monoprice cables don't meet spec.

Can the Amazon Fire 2 box pass UHD 4K 10 bit? I have one, just got my Yamaha 3060 and got Monoprice Cabernet 45' cables yesterday, so I could try it out today.

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
post #59 of 908 Old 08-06-2016, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater View Post
Until someone can verify the voltage output from the Samsung HDMI port, we may not know if it is the player or the cable. The better cables that work may simply drop less voltage over the long runs, but that doesn't mean the Monoprice cables don't meet spec.

Can the Amazon Fire 2 box pass UHD 4K 10 bit? I have one, just got my Yamaha 3060 and got Monoprice Cabernet 45' cables yesterday, so I could try it out today.
wow 45 ft, thats the longest I've read of anyones cable run, be interesting to see how you go

ps i cant imagine the samsung not meeting spec...they are a major oem, and doubt would have got hdmi certification otherwise

post #60 of 908 Old 08-06-2016, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 426
There will be a copper HDMI (non-optical) option coming in September/October that will pass 18 gbps in lengths over 20 meters. Not sure I have permission to disclose the details just yet, so I better not.

Of note, it is not a Monoprice/Redmere technology.
Dave Vaughn likes this.

Last edited by G-Rex; 08-06-2016 at 05:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page