UHD Blu-ray and Long HDMI cables - what works ! - Page 31 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 350Likes

post #901 of 910 Old 10-01-2017, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1669 Post(s)
Liked: 1043
@jk246 - testing before installation (laying it out on the floor), continuous run (no connectors or extenders), being mindful of the bend radius, etc is what we always recommend. If you do have conduit in place (1.5" - 2.0"), then it's not a bad idea to lay in some solid core CAT-6 or 6a cable (non CCS and not a CAT-6 ethernet cable), along with a pull string, for future use. You can always throw in a coax just in case. You can coil up the cable in each end (installers loop) and just tuck it away inside the junction box. The cable can always be used to extend an ethernet connection with punchdown keystone jacks to hardwire your HTS (like I've done) or used to extend your video run with active termination points such as HDBT (once the current HDMI chipset are available).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 910 Old 10-01-2017, 08:41 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
@jk246 - testing before installation (laying it out on the floor), continuous run (no connectors or extenders), being mindful of the bend radius, etc is what we always recommend. If you do have conduit in place (1.5" - 2.0"), then it's not a bad idea to lay in some solid core CAT-6 or 6a cable (non CCS and not a CAT-6 ethernet cable), along with a pull string, for future use. You can always throw in a coax just in case. You can coil up the cable in each end (installers loop) and just tuck it away inside the junction box. The cable can always be used to extend an ethernet connection with punchdown keystone jacks to hardwire your HTS (like I've done) or used to extend your video run with active termination points such as HDBT (once the current HDMI chipset are available).
You've got it covered Otto! Never know who I'm talking to here, so forgive me for covering all the bases. My is fully wired, over 160 runs of Cat6 and Cat6A/E (not an official standard but used in broadcast facilities when Cat6 won't cut it). Also some old Cat 5 used mainly for music distribution. Every wall (except shower) has multiple drops, most walls with 2 drop locations, all homerun to 2 Cisco 300 series layer 3 switches, another Cisco 300 at the AV Rack, and 2 more in my office for servers and workstations. Ceilings wired with Engenius APs, drops for cameras; drops in several places on upper walls for PoE NTP-driven clocks, with all computers, clocks synced to 2 GPS stratum 1 time servers (main and backup), APC AV S20 UPS w addition battery backup for AV rack and LG OLED, 4- APC SU-1500 UPS for various computers, 1- APC-SU-750 for FiOS ONT & G1100 router. All Rokus, TV's, SIP phones, etc are hard-wired... wireless is just for stuff like iPhones, iPads, and devices with no ethernet connector. Extra pull cords or conduits for future addition of 10G nodes, and pulling fiber where necessary. Even the HVAC room & balcony have multiple drops for home automation and security cameras, music over ethernet, tv via SiliconDust IP tuners. It's a work in progress... not your typical home network.
post #903 of 910 Old 10-01-2017, 09:48 PM

@jk246 - kindred spirits fer sure

post #904 of 910 Old 10-02-2017, 04:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Hi Otto

We stock (and test) the Ruipro at 5m (16') through to 50m (164')

One of our local Hi-Fi/Home Cinema retailers are using them at 30m (98') in their demo suite.

Directionality is key with this type of cable so anyone handing the cable over to a 'spark' or builder to install has to ensure the installer knows which way around the cable goes.

Joe
post #905 of 910 Old 10-03-2017, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Yes, tested rui pro (both of them) directly from pc with GTX 1080 to jvc x5500 AND xbox one s to jvc x5500 (no ampli in the middle): same crazy white pixels.
Graphic is stunning also in 4:2:0 10bit or 4:2:2 8bit but this is not 18Gbps but about 14Gbps if I'm not wrong.
Rui Pro support is amazing: they'll send a new cable to test it.
I'll keep you updated.
post #906 of 910 Old 10-03-2017, 03:34 PM

@Joe Fernand - thanks for the clarification. >100' is impressive. Has your retailer "stressed" the installation (sharp bend radius)?
post #907 of 910 Old 10-03-2017, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Hi Otto - that would be me.

Have tried them coiled, straight, twisted all good - have avoided going down the ‘destruction’ route as our install team and installer customers are not that daft

Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

Ruipro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial system Design, Consultancy, Installation, Supply and Integration.
post #908 of 910 Old 10-06-2017, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 154
I just ordered a 10M and a 15M Ruipro HDMI and am looking forward to it.

On the less tech scale, I'm looking for a reliable 50' HDMI to connect to my PS4 Pro. Doesn't have to have absolute 4K transmission like I'm expecting from my Ruipros at that distance. Any suggestions on brands?
post #909 of 910 Old 10-20-2017, 06:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
ARC dropouts with FO cable

Received a 15m run of Ruipro. Nice thin cable and looks like 18gb video is fine. Two issues. One end of the wire is not properly held in the connector stress relief - the outer sleeve is free to move. Time to whip out the hockey tape and wrap that join. Also, there are audio dropouts on ARC (Sony AE1/Anthem AVM60). Tried two shorter cables in the same setup (not FO) and all is fine so the Ruipro is definitely contributing to the problem.

I probably should return it (the stress relief is a bother), but Ruipro says to keep the cable and they will soon send me something that should work better. Seems fair.
post #910 of 910 Old 10-20-2017, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrl12 View Post
Received a 15m run of Ruipro. Nice thin cable and looks like 18gb video is fine. Two issues. One end of the wire is not properly held in the connector stress relief - the outer sleeve is free to move. Time to whip out the hockey tape and wrap that join. Also, there are audio dropouts on ARC (Sony AE1/Anthem AVM60). Tried two shorter cables in the same setup (not FO) and all is fine so the Ruipro is definitely contributing to the problem.

I probably should return it (the stress relief is a bother), but Ruipro says to keep the cable and they will soon send me something that should work better. Seems fair.
Yeah, had a 50' RUIPro which delivered pristine 4k video, no problem at all- until I tried to use the ARC function. In my case I had no return audio at all. RUIPro initially said they thought it was because I ran it too close to AC, but it was just lying across the floor and not close to any AC when I tested it, to make sure everything worked okay before installing it inside the walls and ceiling. They (RUIPro) were very nice about it and said that they would build a custom shielded cable for me, but I've seen an exploded diagram of the cable itself and if the diagram is correct it uses straight-line (non-twisted pair) small diameter conductors for the ARC function which results in relatively high resistance in a lengthy cable and more importantly doesn't make for very good transmission line characteristics of constant and matching impedance, important because while not as high in bandwidth as a video stream, we're not talking about baseband audio, we're talking about multichannel encoded data which requires a transmission line to maintain the integrity of the 1's and 0's being sent over it. You can probably get away with small, untwisted pair conductors over short cable, but not one that's 50'.

I replaced the RUIPro with a Monoprice Cabernet Active 40' cable that had significantly larger conductors which ARC worked great... for about a month-to-six weeks. Then I started having periodic short drop-outs in the ARC audio and could see the AVR's decoder dropping out at the same time, which informed me that it was having trouble decoding the ARC signal. I replaced the Cabernet cable with 2 shorter, good quality passive HDMI cables butted together with an HDMI M-M adapter, in total about 10' - 12' long, and no problems at all in the last month. Bottom line, the ARC conductors in the Cabernet were probably on the bare edge of working, and perhaps due to aging or some other unknown factor, finally began to fail.

I have not been able to find a spec for ARC in HDMI 1.4x- 2.0x other than ARC must send 'audio' back to the AVR... no mention of the 'audio' being data, or what the bandwidth of that data might be- not to say that it doesn't exist, I just can't find it. However, the standard for HDMI 2.1x cables is clearly specified, including an expanded version of the ARC function, eARC (enhanced Audio Return Channel).

I think both the RUIPro and Monoprice cables at 40-50' and possibly longer (but untested by me) are great cables IF you don't need the ARC funcion, and hopefully RUIPro will resolve their issue with ARC now that they're getting more feedback. But please bear in mind that both of these cables contain active electronics (with the exception of ARC, and all electronics are subject to failures, but if you need a cable of these lengths, at this time active cables are the only option. You can use an optical audio cable from your TV to your AVR if they support it, but you'll be limited to 5.1 audio only, which may be fine for a lot of people, but personally I want the highest quality audio available.

Last edited by jk246; 10-20-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page