UHD Blu-ray and Long HDMI cables - what works ! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 350Likes

post #1 of 908 Old 07-01-2016, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1473 Post(s)
Liked: 992
UHD Blu-ray and Long HDMI cables - what works !

I think its worth posting a thread here to help those trying to work their way through the mine field of uhd blu-ray and the challenge that presents to most when comes to finding a hdmi cable over long lengths that does indeed work !

as a note we are talking cable lengths beyond about 7.5m(25ft) / 10m(32/35ft) that most people struggle to find solutions and the kind of cable length most need if running projectors and especially in dedicated rooms and the like where the source player/av processor is remotely situated

first up I want to acknowledge this article from David Vaughn of sound of vision with this article of his, something I found immensely in finding my way through the mine field !
http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...5Xt8yWtfr8p.97

I wanted to post this thread because I honestly dont believe it needs to be a lottery some feel it is.

there are tried and tested solutions that people have found to WORK. yes they actually work.

e.g. in the article above David found the audio quest carbon to work,
http://www.audioquest.com/usb-digital-audio/carbon
though I guess some will be thrown by the huge price of it...

and there are other solutions,

I similarly found my generic 10M hdmi simply no go for uhd blu-ray. this was with samsung uhd blu-ray player, marantz AV8802A processor and feeding a jvc x7000/RS500 projector.

myself living in the part of world I am, just got in touch with a local hdmi company thats been making cables for years at the quality end of the market. they straight off pointed me to their PRS range of hdmi cables which they guaranteed for UHD blu-ray.

http://www.kordz.com/prs-long-hdmi-cables.htm

this is specifically the one I got,

I wasn't fully convinced however picked up from local retailer, theres a few around me that sell the brand with the confidence that could bring back if didnt. well I tried it for a week to be sure, throwing all could at it... and it indeed worked. it was only after a week of testing I then ran it though walls up and down walls under the house.

and in the months that have followed I can absolutely confirm this works completely faultlessly for uhd blu-ray e.g. with the 13 or so uhd blu-rays I have now sent over the cable with no issue.

are there others ?

want to bring your attendion to this post of @swest ... with a couple of examples there, swest is running the same equipment combination as mine,
Official JVC RS600 / RS500 (X950R / X750R - X9000 / X7000) Owners Thread

so in essence a 22AWG mono price, swest kindly gave use description below,

Standard Speed HDMI Silver-Plated Copper CL2 Rated
(For In-Wall Installation) Cable (22AWG) - 35ft
(Gold Plated Connectors)
$66.41

as a note he says though described as standard speed it infact is marked on the web site as high speed....

and a couple of pictures

and

swest also quotes the 35ft mono price cabernet,
https://www.monoprice.com/Category?c...&cs_id=1025506

note as swest found the first one he had didnt work, similarly with dave vaughns report its believe there was a bad batch of these (or was it with an older chip ?) so make sure if you do get it buy from someone can return to if find it doesnt work.

infact I'd encourage if indeed buying a cable you do indeed buy from someone with a good return / exchange policy

I do hope others will post their successes with other cables, so wiht the take up of uhd blu-ray this becomes as painless as possible with people not struggling with even the first step of getting signal to their display/projector

perhaps if posting here people can list a few things if sharing their experience ,

brand and details of cable, cable length
equipment combination, player, avr/av processor, display/projector.

note this thread is really for uhd blu-ray and not htpcs or any other wierdo image formats and such.

<<<<<<<<THREAD UPDATE>>>>>>>>

latest testing ... round 2 from David Vaughn - Courtesy of Sound and Vision magazine,
http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...eY1Pjeqy3KP.97

good to see some cheap options there ! that do indeed pass in the long cable category, and also the ones that dont !

<<<<<<<<THREAD UPDATE 2 (7 Jan 2017) >>>>>>>>
its a new year and an update is required...

with the oppo 203 landing on us... I ofcourse like a blind fool decided to get one... ah to my suprise first thing I find is the oppo main menu their engineers in their infinite wisdom have decided to push through at a whisker under hdmi max bandwidth ....of gee you'd think this would have been something they learnt from samsungs debacle...

anyways so now I go from a samsung that works seamlessly to an oppo where I cant even get the menu up.

a week after ownership with some help from forum buddies find a solution i.e. everything on auto with oppo and only change is color space to 4:2:0 which is same format for disc and it works seamlessly across formats(dvd, blu-ray and UHD blu-ray) so all good with my current cable the kordz prs linked to earlier in this thread.

however,

I noted JAV was using a 10m hdmi cable and having luck across both the pana, sammy and pc for 4k so happened to ask what it was ?

turned out a cable from office works of all places ! 

http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/o...-10m-cohdmi100

given their return policy I thought id give it a go. 

so came home temporarily ran the cable between the marantz and the jvc. did a full reset of the oppo back to factory settings and gave things a go. well i'll be damned we have an affordable cable that will pass the oppo main menu and with out of box settings. now while i have had the player working pretty seamlessly wiht everything in auto and color space at 4:2:0 with my current cable, with my dual screens the factory settings i.e. full auto on the oppo seem a bit more seamless... anyways something will monitor...

But I should report this comsol 10m cable, described as per below does indeed work for uhd blu-ray,

"This Comsol High Speed HDMI Cable is a great option for anyone who is setting up a Blu-ray, set top box, computer and more. The cable will support 4K Ultra HD with a resolution up to 3840 x 2160.
This cable has male HDMI plugs on both ends.
The cable is 10 m long which lets you set your devices far apart from each other.
The connectors are covered in 24k gold and resist corrosion.
It will support 4K Ultra HD televisions.
The cable has a bandwidth speed of up to 18Gbps.
It contains a high grade oxygen-free 24AWG copper wire.
The cable has 32 channel digital audio which is perfect for Dolby True HD and DTS-HD Master Audio."

down sides .. like many 24awg cables this comsol cable is thick and heavy and not so flexible as say the kordz prs linked in the opening post - which with being an active cable gets away with much more slender and flexible cable and dainty plugs

as a note oppo have thankfully in their latest beta firmware also provided a couple of other video output settings in "UHD24" that does indeed now make sure that the main menu doesnt come through in max hdmi bandwidth.

which will make things all the more easier for people trying to pass uhd blu-ray over long cables (i.e. over 7m where premium certified cables at this point do not exist)

<<<<<<<<THREAD UPDATE 3 (5 May 2017) >>>>>>>>
Arrow AV has been very busy with some rigorous testing and below is Part 1 of the report outlining the results ....

TEST REPORTS | HDMI CABLES WHICH PROPERLY AND RELIABLY SUPPORT 18GBPS & HDMI 2.0b
TEST REPORTS | HDMI CABLES WHICH PROPERLY AND RELIABLY SUPPORT 18GBPS & HDMI 2.0b

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)

Last edited by alebonau; 05-05-2017 at 03:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 908 Old 07-01-2016, 09:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Thanks for your research and table reporting your findings.

Also, thanks for the Vaughn article which states: "My testing highlights the worst case/most-demanding scenario for HDMI bandwidth with signals of 3840/2160P YCrCb 4:4:4 60Hz—which we really won’t see in commercially produced material for years to come, so I wouldn’t panic just yet."

Many of us have been trying to guess the right point and time to upgrade our systems.

I have been thinking I should be considering an 18 gig capable whole house system when I should be trying to build a 10 gig system which may be the best possible HDMI solution for years. This is the first article I have read the clearly state UHD premium is long range goal, (unless a HDBaseT solution or something else becomes available and it is an issue of a more capable matrix switch).

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
post #3 of 908 Old 07-02-2016, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1666 Post(s)
Liked: 1041
Folks are starting to make some positive reports about Celerity Fiber cables and trying to push that magical 4k, 4:4:4 @60Hz over a distance. That may be another option is one is installing conduit for future cable runs/needs. A tad expensive but may be worth it in the long run.
dmillionz and Roudan like this.

post #4 of 908 Old 07-02-2016, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Liked: 1191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
... but may be worth it in the long run.
No pun intended I'm sure.
post #5 of 908 Old 07-02-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
No pun intended I'm sure.
I just can't get anything past you
post #6 of 908 Old 07-02-2016, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
Liked: 1544
The original Monoprice cable I tested didn't work and I sent it back to Monoprice a few weeks ago. They sent me a new cable that supposedly has the new chip in it and guess what...it still doesn't work! I tested it yesterday and it would not pass a 4K signal...all I got was a blue screen on my JVC projector. Time to return it back to Monoprice.

I plan on doing a round 2 of testing, but I need to just find the time to contact manufacturers for samples to try out. Many were reluctant the first time around because I think they suspected that their cables wouldn't pass the test.
alebonau and Merlin521 like this.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
My Atmos Renovation Part 1 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-1
My Atmos Renovation Part 2 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-2
post #7 of 908 Old 07-02-2016, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post
Thanks for your research and table reporting your findings.

Also, thanks for the Vaughn article which states: "My testing highlights the worst case/most-demanding scenario for HDMI bandwidth with signals of 3840/2160P YCrCb 4:4:4 60Hz—which we really won’t see in commercially produced material for years to come, so I wouldn’t panic just yet."

Many of us have been trying to guess the right point and time to upgrade our systems.

I have been thinking I should be considering an 18 gig capable whole house system when I should be trying to build a 10 gig system which may be the best possible HDMI solution for years. This is the first article I have read the clearly state UHD premium is long range goal, (unless a HDBaseT solution or something else becomes available and it is an issue of a more capable matrix switch).
he pmd, not sure id be wiring the whole house yet. and thats without going down other burrows. my old generic 10m hdmi cable I suppose did serve me well for all those years had it, probably likely my current hdmi for uhd blu-ray will serve well too for quite a while ... lets see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
The original Monoprice cable I tested didn't work and I sent it back to Monoprice a few weeks ago. They sent me a new cable that supposedly has the new chip in it and guess what...it still doesn't work! I tested it yesterday and it would not pass a 4K signal...all I got was a blue screen on my JVC projector. Time to return it back to Monoprice.

I plan on doing a round 2 of testing, but I need to just find the time to contact manufacturers for samples to try out. Many were reluctant the first time around because I think they suspected that their cables wouldn't pass the test.
thankyou Dave, i can tell you your original article sure brought to light the situation for many, atlas provided one solution that worked !

gee mono price ... you'd think they'd test before sending ... anyways they might have done to get your feedback too...hope they get there !

I for one and am sure many will very much appreciate if you did do another run of this cable comparison for uhd blu-ray. its a whole new world and suspect many many probably just stuck on the starting blocks with this one....

looking forward to what all the makers have at cedia as well, perhaps more to the market at that point
nowknown and Dave Vaughn like this.

post #8 of 908 Old 07-02-2016, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Actually I just put in five two inch conduits and one 3/4 inch conduit for coax from the antenna. I am planning on running 3 shielded BlacK Box Cat6a cables and two quad shielded RG6 and speaker wire from the utility room network cabinet to the bedrooms and great room. My house was wired with POTS, telephone service in 1981. Google fiber will be available soon and I decided to go with gigabit internet. I needed to update. As long as I was rewiring for gigabit for a couple hundred more I could prepare for 10 gigabit plus continue OTA with coax throughout the house. If HDMI turns out to be a good solution I can pull HDMI cable later. If HDBaseT works I can go that way. However, I needed to remodel, the walls were open and wiring the house is a couple percent of the total cost of the job. I made my best guess and now I am impatient for UHD premium to develop.
Dave Vaughn likes this.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
post #9 of 908 Old 07-02-2016, 10:36 PM

^^^ excellent plan. Well planned conduits, with pull strings if you need them, are the only way to "future proof" your wiring needs. Cabling needs will be changing, sooner than later, but with the conduits it's easier to keep up with the inevitable changes.
post #10 of 908 Old 07-03-2016, 02:12 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Curious to see if you have the ability to test a monster black platinum cable
post #11 of 908 Old 07-03-2016, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I did test those...they didn't work for me or Ralph Potts, but they did for another member with the same equipment, so it may be the luck of the draw.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
My Atmos Renovation Part 1 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-1
My Atmos Renovation Part 2 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-2
post #12 of 908 Old 07-05-2016, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

How do you test a HDMI cable? Is it as simple as playing a UHD BD and see if display shows picture and audio works or is their some specific test that needs to be run. I have ordered a 35' Cabernet CL2 high speed HDMI cable from monoprice and I want to test it before running it through the wall. I have UBD-K8500 BD player and I am expecting my LG OLED to arrive by the endd of this week.
Joe Fernand likes this.
post #13 of 908 Old 07-05-2016, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Test the menu of the Samsung, play some YouTube videos that the player outputs at 60Hz (The Costa Rica 4K video is a good one to use), and then put a movie in. Some will play the movie, but fail on the menus and YouTube. You really want it to work on all three to be of use.
nonstopdoc1 and HTPCat like this.

post #14 of 908 Old 07-06-2016, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstopdoc1 View Post
How do you test a HDMI cable? Is it as simple as playing a UHD BD and see if display shows picture and audio works or is their some specific test that needs to be run. I have ordered a 35' Cabernet CL2 high speed HDMI cable from monoprice and I want to test it before running it through the wall. I have UBD-K8500 BD player and I am expecting my LG OLED to arrive by the endd of this week.
for myself and to have a sense of confidence - for a week, when I got the new cable, I never ran the cable through walls and under the house after running about 6 uhd blu-rays through it. just checked with firing up he sammy and loading a disc to play. with my old generic hdmi cable, the sammy menu was even a struggle. and then if you managed to load a disc it would go to no signal. thats it….

with the new cable… it all just works… have run about 14 uhd blu-rays through so far.

re youtube and such of course give that a go to if important to you and as suggested above

post #15 of 908 Old 07-20-2016, 12:02 PM

I can confirm that 35' Cabernet CL2 high speed HDMI cable from monoprice works perfectly and supports ARC, 4K60P and HDR. I have 3 of them in my setup (AVR, Nvidia Shield and Samsung UHD BD Player)
alebonau likes this.
post #16 of 908 Old 07-20-2016, 12:29 PM

^^^^ congratulations! You're one of the lucky ones. Others have not had luck with the Cabernet series. Kinda reminds me of the panel lottery with some tv mfrs. You never really know if you're going to get the panel you want or one that you don't.
post #17 of 908 Old 07-20-2016, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I can confirm that 35' Cabernet CL2 high speed HDMI cable from monoprice works perfectly and supports ARC, 4K60P and HDR. I have 3 of them in my setup (AVR, Nvidia Shield and Samsung UHD BD Player)
I've had no luck with two of them, Ralph Potts no luck with Lux brand (same as Cabernet).

post #18 of 908 Old 07-20-2016, 07:46 PM

Quote:
I've had no luck with two of them, Ralph Potts no luck with Lux brand (same as Cabernet).
What didn't work if I may ask and when did you buy the cable?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
post #19 of 908 Old 07-20-2016, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I had one bought the last week of December and that didn't work between the Samsung UHD player and my projector (both excluding and including my Marantz AV8802 pre/pro). I then returned it and they sent me a new one in April that they guaranteed would work...nope. Blank screen.

I'm a big fan of Monoprice, but their Q/C on these cables is suspect, which is why they are the price that they are. I bet if you ordered 10 cables, I suspect maybe half would work, so it's the luck of the draw.

post #20 of 908 Old 07-21-2016, 08:10 AM

Does Monoprice actually QC all of the cables they sell or are they just reselling cables mfr'd and qc'd by someone else? I didn't think they had actual mfr facilities for some, if not most of the items they sell.
Ratman likes this.
post #21 of 908 Old 07-25-2016, 04:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked: 426
@alebonau , I have contacted Kordz by email asking for a list US dealers and never got a response. Are you located in the US? If so could you let me know where you purchased them from? I am thinking of going with the Kordz Lux cable with the Ethereal Gigbit Accelerator.
alebonau and Roudan like this.

Last edited by G-Rex; 07-25-2016 at 04:51 AM.
post #22 of 908 Old 07-25-2016, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
@alebonau , I have contacted Kordz by email asking for a list US dealers and never got a response. Are you located in the US? If so could you let me know where you purchased them from? I am thinking of going with the Kordz Lux cable with the Ethereal Gigbit Accelerator.
hi @G-Rex am not in the US sorry, in australia where kordz originates...infact their head office is just down the road and have about half a dozen retailers in shopping centres around me. they are a long established brand name with old product here so can understand me turning to them as first port of call when found my 10m / 35ft generic cable was absolutely no go. I just rang their phone number and spoke to their technical guy who pointed me straight to the kordz PRS and guaranteed it for uhd-blu-ray.

Have no idea what their representation is in the us,

a quick google finds this crowd, no idea about them to be honest...

https://futurereadysolutions.com/pro...-cable-series/

if wanting to get in touch with them or kordz themselves probably best to just as i did and give them a call

otherwise there are likely other local options for you and why created this thread,
G-Rex likes this.

post #23 of 908 Old 07-25-2016, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Thanks alebonau. I will check out the link and perhaps give them a call. Kordz looks like a very well built cable. The Lux reminds me of Wire World.
post #24 of 908 Old 07-25-2016, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
Thanks alebonau. I will check out the link and perhaps give them a call. Kordz looks like a very well built cable. The Lux reminds me of Wire World.
hi G-Rex they do make a well built cable. for instance you will see in one of the specs
Retention Force (nominal) 29.7N (3kg / 6.6lbs) +10/-5%

this is intentional and if get these you will see they are a good interference fit into HDMI sockets and do indeed need a bit of force to pull out... as opposed to the cheapy cost saving hdmi cables where the seven make the plugs undersize and scamp on the pennies to the point people find their cables falling out and there is then talk of retaining clips and what not other solution....wont need all that with the kordz !

ps have no idea about the Lux you mention, its not a cable they highlighted to me when talking to hitter technical guy, just directly pointed to the PRS when asked them for something suitable for uhd blu-ray but something you can talk over with them when get in touch

post #25 of 908 Old 07-25-2016, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1703 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
I just bought one, but don't have 4K equipment to test it. Wondering if I should put it through ceiling run now or wait.
alebonau likes this.
post #26 of 908 Old 07-25-2016, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post
I just bought one, but don't have 4K equipment to test it. Wondering if I should put it through ceiling run now or wait.
WAIT ! run with a uhd blu-ray source....

run it for a week or two chuck everything you can at it... and if happy then run through ceiling and such. what I did.

if the thing is bung for some reason lot easier to return/swap a cable thats just been tried than one thats gone through ceilings and such

post #27 of 908 Old 07-25-2016, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The new epson 4K enhancement projectors are offering wireless solution. Not sure if that can handle the needed bandwidth. If it does, that will be the cash cow.
post #28 of 908 Old 07-25-2016, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post
The new epson 4K enhancement projectors are offering wireless solution. Not sure if that can handle the needed bandwidth. If it does, that will be the cash cow.
the wireless they offered for 3D when i owned an epson, was very good. a tad slow and could hick up get caught out. but served while i waited for my av processor to get its 3D update... once that was done couldnt wait to get back to using my cable.

definitely will be seen as a handy option for many i suspect, though time will tell how good how effective personally id rather hard wired cable and pleased found something that works in my setup

post #29 of 908 Old 07-27-2016, 03:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
WAIT ! run with a uhd blu-ray source....

run it for a week or two chuck everything you can at it... and if happy then run through ceiling and such. what I did.

if the thing is bung for some reason lot easier to return/swap a cable thats just been tried than one thats gone through ceilings and such
Agreed. That's what I am thinking too.
Only that the cable has to sit in the closet till I have the 4K equipment.
post #30 of 908 Old 07-31-2016, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 26
would you say that 30 feet is the wall that cords have? is everything consistent at distances of 30 feet and less?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page