HDMI 2.0, 2.0a, 2.0b... cables? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #31 of 43 Old 05-24-2017, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked: 1043
18' shouldn't cause you any problems but that does seem to be around the length that a lot of folks start to have issues with HDR and some cables. Which High Speed HDMI cable do you have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 05-25-2017, 02:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
it is not a branded cable, around 25€

I'm going to try with a better one and shorter
post #33 of 43 Old 05-31-2017, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RGB 4k/60hz @ 4:4:4 clocks in at 22.5gbps, never listen to manufacturers or the HDMI group, they are always playing catchup.

post #34 of 43 Old 08-28-2017, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
It's a mess. So take a deep breath, read the specs carefully, and make sure you understand completely the return policies and time frame. What ever you purchase, I'd lay it out on the floor and really test the "stuff" out of it before final installation. And be mindful of bend radius.
Can you elaborate a bit on the "bend radius"? I assume you're saying don't bend them at too sharp an angle. How do I know what angle that is?

Thanks!
post #35 of 43 Old 08-28-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poddie View Post
Can you elaborate a bit on the "bend radius"? I assume you're saying don't bend them at too sharp an angle. How do I know what angle that is?

Thanks!
That's a tough one. There are calculations somewhere that given the thickness of the cable it will tell you the safest angle you can bend the cable. When I've routed my cabling thru a conduit I've tried to have enough cable so that the bend is as gentle of a bend as possible. Certainly not a sharp 90 degree bend. Pushing the cable thru, instead of pulling the cable thru has always worked best for me. You can pull the cable you just need to be extra cautious that you don't pull too hard on the connector end, especially if you encounter some resistance. If the cable works to your satisfaction when you are testing it out on the floor or whatever, and then you have issues once installed, that's a pretty good indicator that something happened.
poddie likes this.
post #36 of 43 Old 08-28-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
That's a tough one. There are calculations somewhere that given the thickness of the cable it will tell you the safest angle you can bend the cable. When I've routed my cabling thru a conduit I've tried to have enough cable so that the bend is as gentle of a bend as possible. Certainly not a sharp 90 degree bend. Pushing the cable thru, instead of pulling the cable thru has always worked best for me. You can pull the cable you just need to be extra cautious that you don't pull too hard on the connector end, especially if you encounter some resistance. If the cable works to your satisfaction when you are testing it out on the floor or whatever, and then you have issues once installed, that's a pretty good indicator that something happened.
My concern is primarily that the TV I'm mounting has the HDMI connectors sticking straight out to the left of the TV. Obviously they then need to get back closer to the center to go into the wall out of sight. So they need to make a 180 degree turn really... obviously it may not have to be super tight but more of a curve. But there's not a ton of room for them to be invisible on the left side of the TV...

Thanks
post #37 of 43 Old 08-28-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
My concern is primarily that the TV I'm mounting has the HDMI connectors sticking straight out to the left of the TV. Obviously they then need to get back closer to the center to go into the wall out of sight. So they need to make a 180 degree turn really... obviously it may not have to be super tight but more of a curve. But there's not a ton of room for them to be invisible on the left side of the TV...

Thanks
There are elbow (90 degree) HDMI connectors that work quite well for some that you could use. However, the higher video standards (4k HDR, etc) are finicky with the number of "interruptions" in the chain so they may introduce noise which would affect pq reliability. You'll just have to test them out as well. I'm not a big fan of wall mounting but that's just me. Aesthetically it looks nice but in a practical sense it makes for cable connections, etc much more difficult, even if you use conduit in the wall behind it.
poddie likes this.
post #38 of 43 Old 08-28-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
There are elbow (90 degree) HDMI connectors that work quite well for some that you could use. However, the higher video standards (4k HDR, etc) are finicky with the number of "interruptions" in the chain so they may introduce noise which would affect pq reliability. You'll just have to test them out as well. I'm not a big fan of wall mounting but that's just me. Aesthetically it looks nice but in a practical sense it makes for cable connections, etc much more difficult, even if you use conduit in the wall behind it.
Well, sure, but the aesthetics are the point... in the living room, it's what makes a large TV "acceptable" for some people. In my home theater I have a nice high quality stand with room for components and whatnot. But in the living room we want something more minimal looking... just a TV and sound bar.

Yes, I currently use some 90 degree adapters on the old TV that is mounted in the living room. It has HDMI ports much closer to the side of the TV so they were absolutely necessary. But I know I had issues with 4k/60 content in my home theater with just a simple high quality 10 foot cable, so I was assuming they would be a bad idea here.

Thanks for your information, I really appreciate your thoughts!
post #39 of 43 Old 08-29-2017, 12:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 225
The Ruipro cables are similar to any of the 'slim run' HDMI cables - though they do include a 'full size' metal bodied HDMI Hood.

I'll take a measurement later today using the rear port on my Display.

I have tested using a short, flexible 'Port Saver' HDMI Female to Male cable - it worked, though like Otto I would prefer not to use them.

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

Ruipro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial system Design, Consultancy, Installation, Supply and Integration.
post #40 of 43 Old 09-07-2017, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Not sure how these rate but they seem to be working just fine for me...

$10 for 6'.
post #41 of 43 Old 09-07-2017, 08:06 AM

^^^^ those are Premium High Speed HDMI cables and are certified by an ATC (Authorized Testing Center). The QR code is your guarantee of authenticity. Certification is good up to 25', so at 6' you shouldn't have any issues. Most people start to have issues around 20'.
post #42 of 43 Old 09-07-2017, 11:39 PM

Intersting... I see they have a 12' version of that BlackWeb cable at Walmart (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Blackweb-...Cable/55455424). I'd love to be able to just go and pickup my cables at the store.

However, 2 out of 3 reviews are complaining it won't handle the signal. No reviews on the 6'. Hmmm.
post #43 of 43 Old 09-08-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Intersting... I see they have a 12' version of that BlackWeb cable at Walmart (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Blackweb-...Cable/55455424). I'd love to be able to just go and pickup my cables at the store.

However, 2 out of 3 reviews are complaining it won't handle the signal. No reviews on the 6'. Hmmm.
Unfortunately there are no 100% guarantees regardless of mfr/reseller claims. Certified (ATC) cables are probably a bit more reliable than non-certified but again, no guarantees. Some folks are perfectly happy with non-ATC certified cables. HDMI chipsets involved (source and sink), how the cable is laid, distance, etc all play a part in how a cable will perform. There's also slight variations in the QA/QC of the cable and of course, there's always the bad cable or two. Trial and error.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Tags
hdmi , hdmi 1.4 , hdmi 2.0 , hdmi 2.0a , hdr

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page