Questions about multiple HDMI output receiver and mixing HDMI standards - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-14-2017, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Questions about multiple HDMI output receiver and mixing HDMI standards

I have a Yamaha RX-V860 receiver, which has two HDMI outputs. The receiver has 7 HDMI inputs, and the first 3 inputs support HDCP 2.2.

I recently upgraded my older Samsung TV to a Sony 55" 930d. This is connected to the first HDMI output of my receiver. It's of course a 4K HDR capable TV and support HDCP 2.2.

I also have an Epson 8700UB which I've been using for a number of years. This is connected up to HDMI output 2 of the receiver.

For inputs, I have an Apple TV, XBox One S, and a PS4 Pro.

This setup has been causing me many issues.

First, I had issues where the XBox would display on the TV, but on the PJ I'd get either a blank screen or a message about plugging into an HDCP 2.2 enabled port on the display device (which my projector doesn't have). I managed to get around this by connecting all my sources to non-HDCP 2.2 ports on the receiver.

Second, whenever the TV is connected to my receiver (even if the TV is off!) my PJ video will cut out periodically. It comes back, but makes watching anything impossible.

So right now, I'm stuck having to unplug my TV's HDMI cable when I want to use the PJ.

I'm wondering if this is due to mix and matching display devices that support HDCP 2.2 with those that don't?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-15-2017, 04:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 214
XB1S - can be a bit of a nightmare even if you only have a single Display, see the Gaming section here on AVS.

Mix and Match - it does make things difficult where you have UHD Sources and a non-UHD Display.

AVR - try using the HDMI Output toggle (A, B or A+B) that can often resolve some of the issues you describe, ideally the Source will only 'see' the Display device you want to use at any time.

AVR A+B - will potentially cause issues if you have an UHD Source and a non-UHD Display as the Source is always going to have to drop down to 1080p or simply refuse to play the selected content.

Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions for Residential and Commercial installations.

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial system Design, Consultancy, Installation, Supply and Integration.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-15-2017, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Good call, I had forgotten about the HDMI Output option. It doesn't show up in the Yamaha menus (it's just a button on the remote), so I missed it.

I'm using a Logitech Harmony Elite and trying to automate this seems to be a non-starter.

I can set up 4 scenes, which selects the TV or PJ as outputs, but that only lets me do 2 input devices (each having a PJ and TV setting).

Using the HDMI button directly from a Harmony activity isn't possible either as it's a cycle button, and there don't seem to be discrete commands?

For now I've just added the HDMI Output button to each of my activities and will manually set it. I need to see if this fixes the HDMI handshake issues in any case before declaring victory

post #4 of 7 Old 01-15-2017, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Fingers crossed - it's a 'fix' that has worked a couple of times with folk who had similar problems to what you describe.

Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions for Residential and Commercial installations.

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial system Design, Consultancy, Installation, Supply and Integration.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-03-2017, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 31
This is the exact issue I have as well. So the solution is to let the receiver do the switching? And if I want to watch simultaneously, the video signal will be the lowest common resolution? So in my case I have a 4K HDR capable TV and QHD PC monitor the video would be QHD then? I don't have this hooked up yet... waiting for my new receiver and monitor to come but wanted to see if this was possible.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-03-2017, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1621 Post(s)
Liked: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by cky2354 View Post
This is the exact issue I have as well. So the solution is to let the receiver do the switching? And if I want to watch simultaneously, the video signal will be the lowest common resolution? So in my case I have a 4K HDR capable TV and QHD PC monitor the video would be QHD then? I don't have this hooked up yet... waiting for my new receiver and monitor to come but wanted to see if this was possible.
HDMI is backwards compatible so your HDMI chain will always run at the common HDMI protocols. If you push HDMI 2.0a protocols to an HDMI 1.4b chipset, you will only "get" what HDMI 1.4b can handle. In theory at least.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-03-2017, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cky2354 View Post
Yes, that's the case for both questions. The video will be at the lowest supported resolution (supported by the receiving device - the TV or PJ) unless you use an intermediary device that can downscale and output to multiple destinations, or a simple downscaling device.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page