TEST REPORTS | HDMI CABLES WHICH PROPERLY AND RELIABLY SUPPORT 18GBPS & HDMI 2.0b - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 216Likes

post #31 of 410 Old 05-07-2017, 04:39 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked: 2790
^^^

btw: I think this thread should be a sticky soon: great resource
ARROW-AV likes this.

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess this is a red flag issue
HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
Test Reports HDMI Cables that support 18GBPS&HDMI 2.0b
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 410 Old 05-07-2017, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked: 1266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserion View Post
Great great report! Congrats and thanks.

I like my 100ft RUIPRO cable a lot. According to me it deserved to be in 1st place. 100% success @100ft and 50% @165ft
We love the RUIPRO cables too, and if it the manufacturer was willing to ship to Australasia, Europe, United Kingdom and other International Countries via AMAZON, using Amazon's AMAZONGLOBAL international shipping service or otherwise, then the RUIPRO cables would have indubitably TIED FIRST PLACE

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 05-26-2017 at 06:55 AM.
post #33 of 410 Old 05-07-2017, 04:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz063 View Post
The distributor here were dragging their feet on "testing" the faulty cable so the retailer refunded me and will deal with the distributor, so all good here.
That's great to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
Yes, however that's a royal pain in the arse for everyone concerned... especially as compared with using a cable that delivers nothing but perfect performance every time... where we even found the (possible) need to connect power via USB to be an additional negative, let alone the now proven unreliability and cable failures... So sorry, but we won't be buying Celerity again and neither will any of our business associates or clients...
Fortunately, my 8 month-old Celerity cable is still working perfectly and, for reasons I still don't understand, but am not complaining about, only cost me £140!! But, yes, I can only agree with you. Credit to Celerity for being first out there with a solution that worked, but it's impossible to justify choosing it now when there appears to be an even more robust solution out there at a much lower price.

A fiber cable with fully integrated HDMI converters and no need for external power does, indeed, sound like a better way forward. Only time will tell, though, if RUIPRO have any reliability issues; this is all still really cutting-edge stuff, after all. Which brings us back to what has been said a lot in the "what works" thread - a strong recommendation that even if using one of the recommended solutions cables should be put in conduit so they can be swapped out if there is any issue in future!
ARROW-AV likes this.

Last edited by jong1; 05-07-2017 at 04:57 AM.

post #34 of 410 Old 05-07-2017, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
^^^

We are hoping is won't be long before we will be posting our follow-up REPORT #2 which will be comprehensively evaluating and testing 6m - 10m length cables, so we hope to be able to highlight some other alternatives and options

Quote:
Originally Posted by jong1 View Post
That's great to hear.

Fortunately, my 8 month-old Celerity cable is still working perfectly and, for reasons I still don't understand, but am not complaining about, only cost me £140!! But, yes, I can only agree with you. Credit to Celerity for being first out there with a solution that worked, but it's impossible to justify choosing it now when there appears to be an even more robust solution out there at a much lower price.

A fiber cable with fully integrated HDMI converters and no need for external power does, indeed, sound like a better way forward. Only time will tell, though, if RUIPRO have any reliability issues; this is all still really cutting-edge stuff, after all. Which brings us back to what has been said a lot in the "what works" thread - a strong recommendation that even if using one of the recommended solutions cables should be put in conduit so they can be swapped out if there is any issue in future!
We definitely agree that it is a good idea to install cables into a conduit where possible and in certain circumstances we'd even suggest running a spare cable too depending on budget and affordability etc. which given the prices of the current recommended cables are much less expensive than the likes of the Celerity cables (how the hell did you buy one for £140? ) then it is now more economically viable to do so. That said, what with these cables only being a few millimetres in diameter they can very easily be simply run surface mounted and/or concealed via top-dressings such as at the join between floors and walls, underneath carpets/rugs or below/behind skirtings etc... Which is one of the reasons we love these sorts of cables, in that there are endless possibilities installation-wise; which is very refreshing indeed, expecially as compared with cables 12-15mm/half-inch+ thick with an accompanying wide bending radius
jong1 likes this.
post #35 of 410 Old 05-07-2017, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
......with these cables only being a few millimetres in diameter they can very easily be simply run surface mounted and/or concealed via top-dressings such as at the join between floors and walls, underneath carpets/rugs or below/behind skirtings etc... Which is one of the reasons we love these sorts of cables, in that there are endless possibilities installation-wise; which is very refreshing indeed, expecially as compared with cables 12-15mm/half-inch+ thick with an accompanying wide bending radius
That is also a great idea.
post #36 of 410 Old 05-07-2017, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV

UPDATE: Hi folks, just to let everyone know, in addition to our upcoming second lot of evaluation and testing (with respect to 6 - 10m/ 20 - 33ft length HDMI cables) we will also be evaluating and testing the next three sizes/lengths upwards with respect to the winning cables (MONOPRICE | SlimRun AV HDR Cable for HDMI Enabled Devices 4K@60Hz, YUV4:4:4) namely 75ft/23m; 100ft/30m; and 150ft/46m length cables.

With respect to the runner-up cables (RUIPRO | Ultra-Slim HDMI Active Optical Fibre Cable Light Speed Bandwidth 18G) these passed all of our tests in all instances with respect to cable lengths up to and including 100ft/30m, but not with respect to cable lengths longer than this.

We tested the winning cables up to and including 50ft/15m, so we figure it will be good to determine what is the performance of the longer length (75ft/23m; 100ft/30m; and 150ft/46m) cables, especially as compared with the RUIPRO.
alebonau and Kazz063 like this.

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 05-07-2017 at 11:28 AM.
post #37 of 410 Old 05-07-2017, 10:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Wasn't this one planned to be tested? I already had concluded my research and succeded 18gbps but i was really wondering to see performance of this cable which claims supporting 22gbps. Price is also not very high level.

49ft Ultra HIGH SPEED HDMI 22Gb Fiber Optic/Hybrid Cable 4Kx2K/60Hz

http://www.mycablemart.com/store/car..._detail&p=6860

SM-G925F cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi
post #38 of 410 Old 05-07-2017, 10:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Connecting 203 directly to a Epson 5040(10.2 Gbps chip) ..... if I am using a 30ft. Monoprice SlimRun cable, will my 203 output a 'HDR/BT2020 4:2:2/12 bit' or 'SDR/BT709 4:2:0/8bit' signal ? Even though, I understand the Epson will only display a SDR picture on this 'Billy Lynn UHD disc', because of the 10.2 chip .

Thanks in advance.

Man see things as they are n say why. I dream of things that never were, n say why not ....... A Perfect PROJECTOR

Last edited by ac388; 05-07-2017 at 10:32 PM.
post #39 of 410 Old 05-07-2017, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:

For what it’s worth, we already have word that one of the Celerity cables that PASSED our testing which we provided to a business associate for installation into his company’s showroom facilities, was working initially but also subsequently failed… and they cost GBP £400 here in the UK! Given our experience to date we have concluded that they unfortunately are just not as reliable as some people think they are…
Not good to hear of more failures, especially at the prices they go for, GBP £400 and I thought $400 AUD was expensive...............

Quote:
Yes, however that's a royal pain in the arse for everyone concerned... especially as compared with using a cable that delivers nothing but perfect performance every time... where we even found the (possible) need to connect power via USB to be an additional negative, let alone the now proven unreliability and cable failures... So sorry, but we won't be buying Celerity again and neither will any of our business associates or clients...
You're not wrong about it being a pain in the backside, you think you finally have the holy grail only for it to fail and then have to return it and work out what to use next. At least these reports will be a great help for this last step.
ARROW-AV likes this.
post #40 of 410 Old 05-08-2017, 03:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
We love the RUIPRO cables too, and if it the manufacturer was willing to ship to Europe and other International Countries and the cables were not slightly more expensive then it would have indubitably TIED FIRST PLACE
Did the RUIPRO sync/lock on the signal as fast as the Monoprice Optical?
post #41 of 410 Old 05-08-2017, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserion View Post
Wasn't this one planned to be tested? I already had concluded my research and succeded 18gbps but i was really wondering to see performance of this cable which claims supporting 22gbps. Price is also not very high level.

49ft Ultra HIGH SPEED HDMI 22Gb Fiber Optic/Hybrid Cable 4Kx2K/60Hz

http://www.mycablemart.com/store/car..._detail&p=6860

SM-G925F cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi
It looks like that one slipped through the net... But don't worry, there's bound to be other new cables being released, further to those we have tested so far, similarly claiming 18Gbps+ performance at lengths 50ft/18m+ so what we will do is carry out a second evaluation and testing exercise with respect to this cable size range as and when there is an appropriate quantity, where we can include testing this particular cable

That said, any and all cables reporting GREATER than 18 Gbps sets off alarm bells as far as we are concerned, and the same applies to other unusually high technical performance marketing claims... For example, one of the cables that we tested claimed "Guaranteed Ultra Lightning Speed 32.5 GBPS" and "48 Bit Deep Color"! where not only was this information printed on the product packaging but inside the box was provided a printed 'certificate' guaranteeing these performance claims! Seriously.

Where we happened to send them an email about this with a copy of our test results regarding their cable... We did not receive a response, however we have just checked and interestingly their website's marketing information relating to this cable has now been changed to "12.2 Gbps high-performance at long-lengths" and "Deep Color Support: Up to 10 bit"
Laserion and STAIN0 like this.

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 05-08-2017 at 11:27 AM.
post #42 of 410 Old 05-08-2017, 05:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Where we happened to send them an email about this with a copy of our test results regarding their cable... We did not receive a response, however we have just checked and interestingly their website's marketing information relating to this cable has now been changed to "12.2 Gbps high-performance at long-lengths" and "Deep Color Support: Up to 10 bit"
pwned!
ARROW-AV likes this.
post #43 of 410 Old 05-08-2017, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
pwned!
Incidentally, one of the four cables tested failed all four tests with respect to 9 Gbps video bandwidth... So the new claim of 12.2 Gbps is still a stretch...

I should add that we have kept the 'Certificate'... We may frame it and wall-mount it in our demonstration centre for posterity

mikela, Kazz063, jong1 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 05-08-2017 at 05:52 AM.
post #44 of 410 Old 05-09-2017, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
We love the RUIPRO cables too, and if it the manufacturer was willing to ship to Europe and other International Countries and the cables were not slightly more expensive then it would have indubitably TIED FIRST PLACE
I believe they do, you should ask them.

I ordered directly on ruipro.com instead of Amazon, and they shipped by DHL straight from Hong Kong, so I don't see how they would care which country to ship to. That website is quite a mess right now, but their customer service is very helpful.
ARROW-AV likes this.
post #45 of 410 Old 05-09-2017, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
Repost with more data and grammar correction (Grin - Arrow-AV quoted me too quickly.).

System is Oppo 203 straight to JVC RS500 projector. *All results* still pending long term testing, and may not be applicable to your system. I merely want to add to the database.

1. Monoprice 25 ft: "Certified Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cable, HDR" as described on ebay, $29. Doesn't work. Full refund given by official ebay Monoprice seller.
2. OLD Blue Jeans Series 1 about 40 ft: This 5 year old cable is labeled "Series 1." I did not realize that there have been different versions of Series 1 cables: old (Series 1) and new (Series 1E). This is the old version and it's not a surprise that at 40 ft it doesn't work. (It's my hometheater's existing cable that was pulled through wall a few years ago.)
3. Generic No Name HDMI Cable 10 ft: Says HDMI 1.3 on the cable (!!). Don't even remember where it came from :-). 10 ft - Works perfect. That this cable works is key to me regarding high speed HDMI: for once in life, shorter is better LOL. Pending others' input, I would speculate therefore most generic short length cables should work for high speed HDMI function.
4. NEW Blue Jeans Series 1E 25 ft: This latest cable is labeled "High Speed HDMI Series 1E". Note the E. 25 ft - Works perfect.
5. NEW Blue Jeans Series 1E 35 ft: "High Speed HDMI Series 1E". Note the E. 35 ft - Works perfect. Very happy with this.
6. Generic 10 ft HDMI + HDFury Linker + Blue Jeans 1E 35 ft: For those, particularly JVC RSx00 (cheers), who use the Linker. Here Linker also acts as a bridge to extend connection to 45 ft - Works perfect.

In number 6, my earlier "theory" of using Linker as a bridge to lengthen copper HDMI connection was tested and worked out perfectly.
I have a box full of HDMI cables claiming all sorts of super high speeds. But with the move to UHD I have a mix of so-called Certified Premium (CP), cables from BJC or Monoprice. The 15 footer from Monoprice was acting wiggy at the limits so I immediately emailed Monoprice and they, no questions asked, express mailed a replacement pronto not even asking for the bad one to be returned. Problem fixed. Lesson being it helps when you deal with vendors with generous return policies.

I think that one thing that escapes most people is that the certification process is simply pushing the probability curve over into the zone of getting a fully functional cable. HDMI is a bad, bad standard. But for the near future we are stuck with it. My advice:
Look for the CP label
When you buy that cable

Don't you just wish HDMI would crawl off to some darkened corner and die a sad, lonely death?
post #46 of 410 Old 05-09-2017, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked: 1043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Operon View Post
I think that one thing that escapes most people is that the certification process is simply pushing the probability curve over into the zone of getting a fully functional cable. HDMI is a bad, bad standard. But for the near future we are stuck with it. My advice:
Look for the CP label
When you buy that cable
The problem with certification is that there is not a unified standard that all who claim certification follow. So you have no real idea of what is involved. HDMI.org has their own certification program with the testing being performed all over the world by Authorized Testing Centers (ATC's) who all follow the same protocol testing procedures as designed by HDMI.org. Any cable mfr can sign up and have their cables tests. The tested cables will come with a counterfeit-proof label of authenticity. BJC has a testing program and I think they may in fact use ATC's for their cables. If a cable is marketed as "Premium High Speed HDMI" then that is the copyrighted label for an ATC tested cable. Other cable mfrs have their own in-house testing program that may or may not be as complete as an ATC. DPL Labs is one that comes to mind. Certification is a slippery slope, again depending on what is involved. Some just test the cable of a given length in a straight line and if it passes, it's certified. Then, the rest of that lot of cable length is "certified" and sold. Others will test a representative number of cable lengths from a given lot with bend radius, and other factors involved.
ARROW-AV likes this.
post #47 of 410 Old 05-09-2017, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
The problem with certification is that there is not a unified standard that all who claim certification follow. So you have no real idea of what is involved. HDMI.org has their own certification program with the testing being performed all over the world by Authorized Testing Centers (ATC's) who all follow the same protocol testing procedures as designed by HDMI.org. Any cable mfr can sign up and have their cables tests. The tested cables will come with a counterfeit-proof label of authenticity. BJC has a testing program and I think they may in fact use ATC's for their cables. If a cable is marketed as "Premium High Speed HDMI" then that is the copyrighted label for an ATC tested cable. Other cable mfrs have their own in-house testing program that may or may not be as complete as an ATC. DPL Labs is one that comes to mind. Certification is a slippery slope, again depending on what is involved. Some just test the cable of a given length in a straight line and if it passes, it's certified. Then, the rest of that lot of cable length is "certified" and sold. Others will test a representative number of cable lengths from a given lot with bend radius, and other factors involved.
Yes. Agreed. There was a poster who was having obvious HDMI cable issues with a manufacturer that claimed DPL certification. Which I viewed as dubious though I have no data to suspect that other than the poster's issues. As you know there are manufacturers swearing on a stack of bibles all sorts of bandwidth up and down the line but turn out to be less than honest marketing hype. Now the the cat's out of the bad with respect to the bandwidth requirements for full UHD transport, we're gonna see the hype magnified making The National Inquirer seem like hard news. Breaking news... 18 Gbs, we swear. Honest. Cross our hearts.

Don't you just wish HDMI would crawl off to some darkened corner and die a sad, lonely death?
post #48 of 410 Old 05-09-2017, 02:46 PM

post #49 of 410 Old 05-09-2017, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked: 2790
I would not depend on HDMI.org to straighten out this mess: after all, they created it
Operon, cTwining and ARROW-AV like this.

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess this is a red flag issue
HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
Test Reports HDMI Cables that support 18GBPS&HDMI 2.0b
post #50 of 410 Old 05-09-2017, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
I would not depend on HDMI.org to straighten out this mess: after all, they created it
post #51 of 410 Old 05-09-2017, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
^^^

AVS'ers,

Where do you get the 6m Ruipro cable? On Amazon, at least in the States, they start at 10 m cables.

Thank you for this excellent resource,

Basa14
ARROW-AV likes this.
post #52 of 410 Old 05-10-2017, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 74
TEST REPORTS | HDMI CABLES WHICH PROPERLY AND RELIABLY SUPPORT 18GBPS & HDMI 2.0b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basa14 View Post
AVS'ers,

Where do you get the 6m Ruipro cable? On Amazon, at least in the States, they start at 10 m cables.

Thank you for this excellent resource,

Basa14

I bought the RUIPRO 33' from Amazon and tested it with Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk. It worked!

Free 2 day shipping with Prime, which is why I chose it over Monoprice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1898.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	2128561

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ARROW-AV likes this.

PN59D8000 and JVC RS420 with Elite 120" screen
Receiver - Yamaha RX-A3060, WXA-50 MusicCast Amp for Zone 2
Front - CM9, Center - CMC2, Side Surrounds - DS3, Rear Surrounds - CM5, Front/Rear Atmos - CCM663, Subs - PB12+ and PB13 Ultra
Remote/Streaming Media Players - Harmony Elite, Apple TV 4, Nvidia Shield Pro - use with HDHomeRun Connect/Extend and Plex
post #53 of 410 Old 05-10-2017, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 293
i guess i'll wait for the results on the 6ft cables...need to re-cable but only need 6ft length.

would these work?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
post #54 of 410 Old 05-10-2017, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
i guess i'll wait for the results on the 6ft cables...need to re-cable but only need 6ft length.

would these work?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
It should, but if it doesn't it should be easily swapped. They are Certified Premium after all
post #55 of 410 Old 05-10-2017, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It should, but if it doesn't it should be easily swapped. They are Certified Premium after all
wonder what the difference is or why the amazon cables aren't certified?
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...i%2Bcable&th=1
post #56 of 410 Old 05-10-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
wonder what the difference is or why the amazon cables aren't certified?
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...i%2Bcable&th=1
The biggest drawback about selling or reselling certified cables, whether it be by an ATC or some other program is cost. Certification is not cheap, especially HDMI.org's standardized ATC program. A lot of cable mfrs just don't want to pay the on-going cost to have their cables properly certified and authenticated. They seem to do quite well with their slick marketing and carefully worded claims.
post #57 of 410 Old 05-10-2017, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The biggest drawback about selling or reselling certified cables, whether it be by an ATC or some other program is cost. Certification is not cheap, especially HDMI.org's standardized ATC program. A lot of cable mfrs just don't want to pay the on-going cost to have their cables properly certified and authenticated. They seem to do quite well with their slick marketing and carefully worded claims.
yeah, makes sense. reason i ask is all my equipment is using amazon's 18gbps files and i don't have any issues so i don't see a reason to change them unless i'm missing out on some better PQ somewhere.
post #58 of 410 Old 05-10-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
yeah, makes sense. reason i ask is all my equipment is using amazon's 18gbps files and i don't have any issues so i don't see a reason to change them unless i'm missing out on some better PQ somewhere.
Cables can not improve video and audio quality. You either get the signal from the source without issues or you don't. If you don't have any dropouts, sparkles, etc then you're getting the best you can.
post #59 of 410 Old 05-10-2017, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Cables can not improve video and audio quality. You either get the signal from the source without issues or you don't. If you don't have any dropouts, sparkles, etc then you're getting the best you can.
thanks, i have some issues here or there with my oppo 203 but those are more of well known issues with the oppo than hdmi cables.
post #60 of 410 Old 05-10-2017, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetmeat View Post
I bought the RUIPRO 33' from Amazon and tested it with Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk. It worked!

Free 2 day shipping with Prime, which is why I chose it over Monoprice.

Attachment 2128561

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for the info!

Basa14
Sweetmeat likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Tags
18 gbps , 2.0 , cables , fiber , hdmi

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page