TEST REPORTS | HDMI CABLES WHICH PROPERLY AND RELIABLY SUPPORT 18GBPS & HDMI 2.0b - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 216Likes

post #1 of 416 Old 05-05-2017, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked: 1267
TEST REPORTS | HDMI CABLES WHICH PROPERLY AND RELIABLY SUPPORT 18GBPS & HDMI 2.0b

TEST REPORTS | LONG HDMI CABLES WHICH PROPERLY AND RELIABLY SUPPORT 18GBPS & HDMI 2.0b

HDMI version 2.0b, which is the currently industry standard, requires 18 Gbps video bandwidth support.

But a great many medium to long length HDMI cables that claim to fully support this in reality do not.

The purpose of this thread is to provide a resource database, including lookup tables, with the results of comprehensive evaluation and testing of HDMI cables to reveal which cables will actually reliably and consistently pass 18 Gbps bandwidth video signals and hence properly support HDMI 2.0b video content. Where you can rest assured that these will every time fully and properly support HDMI 2.0b / 18 Gbps video signals; and hence if you use these cables you can kiss goodbye to all of your HDMI headaches and problems, for good.

Please find attached to this post:

(1) HDMI Cables Performance Evaluation & Testing Report # 1; this relates to 50ft/15m+ length cables; and is self-explanatory.

N.B. Report #2 will focus on HDMI cables with lengths 20ft/6m - 30ft/9m; which will be added here as and when it is completed.

Enjoy!

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 09-28-2017 at 11:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 416 Old 05-05-2017, 02:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 186
This thread will be a terrific source of info for years to come, thank you.

Suggestion. I assume the actual report will be updated many times in the future. Perhaps add the date of the linked report to the file name so people can note an updated report from their last view/download ?

Or perhaps a report version number, e.g V1.0.

Last edited by Cain; 05-05-2017 at 03:08 AM.
post #3 of 416 Old 05-05-2017, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
This thread will be a terrific source of info for years to come, thank you.

Suggestion. I assume the actual report will be updated many times in the future. Perhaps add the date of the linked report to the file name so people can note an updated report from their last view/download ?

Or perhaps a report version number, e.g V1.0.
Great minds think alike! You will note that the report is labelled "REPORT #1"... The next will be labelled "REPORT #2"
Cain likes this.

post #4 of 416 Old 05-05-2017, 03:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1479 Post(s)
Liked: 992
good to see...

... for us in he metric world... I so wish that 2nd category was 10m.... rather than 9m... In this side of the world... no one buys 9m cables ... its 10m or 15m or say 6m and below if looking for a short one. And do hope mono price get a 10m out at some stage in the range that worked

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #5 of 416 Old 05-05-2017, 04:05 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1302 Post(s)
Liked: 2797
Good stuff: subscribed
ARROW-AV likes this.

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess this is a red flag issue
HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
Test Reports HDMI Cables that support 18GBPS&HDMI 2.0b
post #6 of 416 Old 05-05-2017, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
good to see...

... for us in he metric world... I so wish that 2nd category was 10m.... rather than 9m... In this side of the world... no one buys 9m cables ... its 10m or 15m or say 6m and below if looking for a short one. And do hope mono price get a 10m out at some stage in the range that worked
Well you will be pleased to hear that our next evaluation and testing exercise which will be featuring in our next REPORT #2 will be focusing on cables with lengths ranging 6 - 10m / 20 - 33ft

Everything will then be covered, in that there is no need to go shorter than this because the "HDMI PREMIUM Certified Cable” certification currently covers cables up to 15ft/4.5m in length, but not any longer than this as of right now.
alebonau and richlife like this.

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 05-05-2017 at 04:24 AM.
post #7 of 416 Old 05-05-2017, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Great report.

It's good to see there are reliable options that are not crazy expensive. It's also clear that there are no reliable cheap options at these distances. The old adage "all HDMI cables are the same" really does not apply for UHD and it is a shame that all the ancient articles arguing that point continue to come up in newcomer's searches and probably will for a few more years!

I'm a bit unsure about your "additional" recommendation. It seems that although the Gigabit Accelerator was able to "fix" some, presumably borderline, cables, it clearly failed in a number of situations too. At it's current cost it only makes sense, as you say, when there are pre-installed cables that are hard to swap. Since a lot of pre-installed cables are likely to be quite old the failure rate might be very high! Personally, based on your results, I would call the Gigabit Accelerator section "Might be worth trying", rather than "recommended" and I would add that anyone trying this to make an old cable work should make sure they get it from a source with a good quibble-free return policy, as it is quite possible it will not work and you really do not want to be left with a $300 paperweight!
post #8 of 416 Old 05-05-2017, 06:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked: 1398
Repost with more data and grammar correction (Grin - Arrow-AV quoted me too quickly.).

System is Oppo 203 straight to JVC RS500 projector. *All results* still pending long term testing, and may not be applicable to your system. I merely want to add to the database.

1. Monoprice 25 ft: "Certified Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cable, HDR" as described on ebay, $29. Doesn't work. Full refund given by official ebay Monoprice seller.
2. OLD Blue Jeans Series 1 about 40 ft: This 5 year old cable is labeled "Series 1." I did not realize that there have been different versions of Series 1 cables: old (Series 1) and new (Series 1E). This is the old version and it's not a surprise that at 40 ft it doesn't work. (It's my hometheater's existing cable that was pulled through wall a few years ago.)
3. Generic No Name HDMI Cable 10 ft: Says HDMI 1.3 on the cable (!!). Don't even remember where it came from :-). 10 ft - Works perfect. That this cable works is key to me regarding high speed HDMI: for once in life, shorter is better LOL. Pending others' input, I would speculate therefore most generic short length cables should work for high speed HDMI function.
4. NEW Blue Jeans Series 1E 25 ft: This latest cable is labeled "High Speed HDMI Series 1E". Note the E. 25 ft - Works perfect.
5. NEW Blue Jeans Series 1E 35 ft: "High Speed HDMI Series 1E". Note the E. 35 ft - Works perfect. Very happy with this.
6. Generic 10 ft HDMI + HDFury Linker + Blue Jeans 1E 35 ft: For those, particularly JVC RSx00 (cheers), who use the Linker. Here Linker also acts as a bridge to extend connection to 45 ft - Works perfect.

In number 6, my earlier "theory" of using Linker as a bridge to lengthen copper HDMI connection was tested and worked out perfectly.
markrubin and ARROW-AV like this.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound. (For CB IVa setup help, click HERE.)
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).

Last edited by cannga; 05-05-2017 at 07:29 AM.
post #9 of 416 Old 05-05-2017, 06:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
This is an excellent resource! Thank you for the hard work.
post #10 of 416 Old 05-05-2017, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jong1 View Post
Great report.

It's good to see there are reliable options that are not crazy expensive. It's also clear that there are no reliable cheap options at these distances. The old adage "all HDMI cables are the same" really does not apply for UHD and it is a shame that all the ancient articles arguing that point continue to come up in newcomer's searches and probably will for a few more years!

I'm a bit unsure about your "additional" recommendation. It seems that although the Gigabit Accelerator was able to "fix" some, presumably borderline, cables, it clearly failed in a number of situations too. At it's current cost it only makes sense, as you say, when there are pre-installed cables that are hard to swap. Since a lot of pre-installed cables are likely to be quite old the failure rate might be very high! Personally, based on your results, I would call the Gigabit Accelerator section "Might be worth trying", rather than "recommended" and I would add that anyone trying this to make an old cable work should make sure they get it from a source with a good quibble-free return policy, as it is quite possible it will not work and you really do not want to be left with a $300 paperweight!
Absolutely agree with everything you say here

I think it's worth bearing in mind from where we are coming, namely the pre-existing recommendation has been Celerity Tek fibre optic cables. Where both cable recommendations resulting from this initial evaluation and testing exercise are in fact less than HALF the price of the equivalent Celerity cables! So we are very happy that this has achieved our target objective with respect to sourcing solutions that are both more reliable (check!) and less expensive (check!) as compared with the current recommendation. Where the associated cost with respect to say for example the 50ft/15m length cables has dropped from 400 bucks to 'only' 160 bucks. Not bad at all considering the prices of the cables tested ranged up to including 900 bucks for a single cable! So it's great to see the usual 'more-expensive-does-not-equal-better' phenomenon is applicable in this instance and to see cable towards the lower end of the pricing spectrum winning with respect to best peformance

You're absolutely right with respect to what you are saying about the Gigabit Accelerator device. Firstly, given its considerably more expensive as compared with the two recommended cables this would obviously never be even considered if new cables are being installed. But we do see a use for it when seeking to upgrade a system that is already installed and where the cable(s) is/are sealed into walls and/or ceiling and hence where replacing the cable with a new one would entail opening up walls and/or ceilings. But you are correct that it's a bit hit-or-miss so what we intend on doing, (which is what other AV dealers / custom installers might like to do) is to hold stock of one or two of the Gigabit Accelerator devices and when presented with such appropriate circumstance you can simply test what is it's functionality with respect to the particular customer's existing HDMI cable and if it works then the customer can purchase the device and you install it for them; but if not, then you install a new cable for them instead. So we are only recommending it for these specific sorts of circumstances
post #11 of 416 Old 05-05-2017, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Given that long cables are often used in-wall it would be useful to know the specific ratings of the cable. For example, from what I can see two of the most appealing cable series (Monoprice and RUIPRO fiber optics) may not be explicitly rated for in-wall use.

For example, the Monoprice 21566 is flame tested to VW-1 but doesn't carry a CL2/CL3 or equivalent rating, and the Monoprice website (http://support.monoprice.com/link/po...e-available-in) states:

"However, a VW-1 rating does not necessarily mean that the cable is safe to run in wall"
scarabaeus likes this.
post #12 of 416 Old 05-05-2017, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieRAV View Post
Given that long cables are often used in-wall it would be useful to know the specific ratings of the cable. For example, from what I can see two of the most appealing cable series (Monoprice and RUIPRO fiber optics) may not be explicitly rated for in-wall use.

For example, the Monoprice 21566 is flame tested to VW-1 but doesn't carry a CL2/CL3 or equivalent rating, and the Monoprice website (http://support.monoprice.com/link/po...e-available-in) states:

"However, a VW-1 rating does not necessarily mean that the cable is safe to run in wall"
The external diameter / width of the Monoprice cables measures 3.5mm... Plus the cables are also highly flexible...

Therefore, you don't have to run it in-wall. So if you are worried about doing so, then quite simply don't!
post #13 of 416 Old 05-05-2017, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
Absolutely agree with everything you say here

I think it's worth bearing in mind from where we are coming, namely the pre-existing recommendation has been Celerity Tek fibre optic cables. Where both cable recommendations resulting from this initial evaluation and testing exercise are in fact less than HALF the price of the equivalent Celerity cables! So we are very happy that this has achieved our target objective with respect to sourcing solutions that are both more reliable (check!) and less expensive (check!) as compared with the current recommendation. Where the associated cost with respect to say for example the 50ft/15m length cables has dropped from 400 bucks to 'only' 160 bucks. Not bad at all considering the prices of the cables tested ranged up to including 900 bucks for a single cable! So it's great to see the usual 'more-expensive-does-not-equal-better' phenomenon is applicable in this instance and to see cable towards the lower end of the pricing spectrum winning with respect to best peformance
Yes, those Monoprice cables clearly have some magic in them and I think it's great Fiber has come down in price. Somehow I suspect that ALL HDMI 2.1 cables will end up being fiber with integrated conversion at the ends, like RUIPRO, at least over 1-2M. Can't see how electrical cables are going to cut it. Sounds like there is some work to do to even get (consumer-priced) fiber to work at 48Gbps though!!
ARROW-AV likes this.
post #14 of 416 Old 05-05-2017, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Yes, those Monoprice cables clearly have some magic in them and I think it's great Fiber has come down in price. Somehow I suspect that ALL HDMI 2.1 cables will end up being fiber with integrated conversion at the ends, like RUIPRO, at least over 1-2M. Can't see how electrical cables are going to cut it. Sounds like there is some work to do to even get (consumer-priced) fiber to work at 48Gbps though!!
Shhhhh! Don't mention 48Gbps! Everytime anyone does that I immediately go cross-eyed and suffer a spontaneous migraine headache! Best not to think about such matters!
G-Rex, mikela, Kazz063 and 3 others like this.
post #15 of 416 Old 05-05-2017, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1669 Post(s)
Liked: 1043
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
Shhhhh! Don't mention 48Gbps! Everytime anyone does that I immediately go cross-eyed and suffer a spontaneous migraine headache! Best not to think about such matters!
Oops. I was just going to post something about that. Nevermind
BrolicBeast and ARROW-AV like this.
post #16 of 416 Old 05-05-2017, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Thank you. As others have said, this is very useful information. Thank you.

PN59D8000 and JVC RS420 with Elite 120" screen
Receiver - Yamaha RX-A3060, WXA-50 MusicCast Amp for Zone 2
Front - CM9, Center - CMC2, Side Surrounds - DS3, Rear Surrounds - CM5, Front/Rear Atmos - CCM663, Subs - PB12+ and PB13 Ultra
Remote/Streaming Media Players - Harmony Elite, Apple TV 4, Nvidia Shield Pro - use with HDHomeRun Connect/Extend and Plex
post #17 of 416 Old 05-05-2017, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Well done: subscribed

She's so fine, there's no tellin' where the money went!
post #18 of 416 Old 05-06-2017, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Great great report! Congrats and thanks.

I like my 100ft RUIPRO cable a lot. According to me it deserved to be in 1st place. 100% success @100ft and 50% @165ft
Cain and ARROW-AV like this.

Last edited by Laserion; 05-06-2017 at 04:22 AM.
post #19 of 416 Old 05-06-2017, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1302 Post(s)
Liked: 2797
question about shorter cables that reliably support 18GBPS

I need 12-15 foot cables to connect a Kaleidescape Strato and OPPO 205 to a Sony 940D

10 foot cables work fine but when I go to 15 foot length, only the certified premium cables work: and they are too thick/heavy:
a slim cable would work but I have yet to find one that is certified premium

any suggestions?

tia
ARROW-AV likes this.

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess this is a red flag issue
HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
Test Reports HDMI Cables that support 18GBPS&HDMI 2.0b
post #20 of 416 Old 05-06-2017, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
Repost with more data and grammar correction (Grin - Arrow-AV quoted me too quickly.).

System is Oppo 203 straight to JVC RS500 projector. *All results* still pending long term testing, and may not be applicable to your system. I merely want to add to the database.

1. Monoprice 25 ft: "Certified Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cable, HDR" as described on ebay, $29. Doesn't work. Full refund given by official ebay Monoprice seller.
2. OLD Blue Jeans Series 1 about 40 ft: This 5 year old cable is labeled "Series 1." I did not realize that there have been different versions of Series 1 cables: old (Series 1) and new (Series 1E). This is the old version and it's not a surprise that at 40 ft it doesn't work. (It's my hometheater's existing cable that was pulled through wall a few years ago.)
3. Generic No Name HDMI Cable 10 ft: Says HDMI 1.3 on the cable (!!). Don't even remember where it came from :-). 10 ft - Works perfect. That this cable works is key to me regarding high speed HDMI: for once in life, shorter is better LOL. Pending others' input, I would speculate therefore most generic short length cables should work for high speed HDMI function.
4. NEW Blue Jeans Series 1E 25 ft: This latest cable is labeled "High Speed HDMI Series 1E". Note the E. 25 ft - Works perfect.
5. NEW Blue Jeans Series 1E 35 ft: "High Speed HDMI Series 1E". Note the E. 35 ft - Works perfect. Very happy with this.
6. Generic 10 ft HDMI + HDFury Linker + Blue Jeans 1E 35 ft: For those, particularly JVC RSx00 (cheers), who use the Linker. Here Linker also acts as a bridge to extend connection to 45 ft - Works perfect.

In number 6, my earlier "theory" of using Linker as a bridge to lengthen copper HDMI connection was tested and worked out perfectly.

Ran my 3 ft HDMI + Linker + Blue Jeans Series 1E 35 ft, all outside of wall without any problem.

Got a taste of just how fickle long distance HDMI connection is: As my cable "snakes" from projector towards the BD player, at the player's end there are a bunch of other cables in the area: power cables, digital cable, internet cable, etc. If I lower the Blue Jeans towards other cables, I lose signal. If I raise the Blue Jeans higher to separate from others, signal comes back. I didn't want to test this too much for now because just wanted to leave well enough alone, but would add electromagnetic interference as one reason why these long, high speed, HDMI cables drop signal. I would think the prime suspect are the 110 v power cables/lines.

While reading up on this topic, I came across a post in the past of someone testing with Blue Jeans 1E 25 ft that worked fine "outside," then stopped working once he pulled it through the ceiling (apparently a nightmare ); it was a puzzle to me back then. EMI as the cause makes sense out of this scenario. Difference between Blue Jeans *may* be that it has better isolation.
mavang likes this.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound. (For CB IVa setup help, click HERE.)
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).

Last edited by cannga; 05-06-2017 at 08:11 AM.
post #21 of 416 Old 05-06-2017, 08:42 AM

^^^^^ could the "lowering" of the cable be due to strain on the HDMI input and not necessarily EMI inteference? Would it be possible to disconnect the other cables as a test and just connect the HDMI cable and then move it up and down?
cannga likes this.
post #22 of 416 Old 05-06-2017, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
^^^^^ could the "lowering" of the cable be due to strain on the HDMI input and not necessarily EMI inteference? Would it be possible to disconnect the other cables as a test and just connect the HDMI cable and then move it up and down?
Good point. No in my case there is no strain because the connection is a "loose" point, Blue Jeans 35 ft connects to HDFury which connects to SSP with 3 ft cable, hence connection of Blue Jeans to HDFury hangs loosely. In addition I did (unintentionally) test the strain at the projector pretty good - bending connector up and down there causes no loss.

I am so elated that it works that I am not trying to reproduce the signal loss situation for now (blue screen once, and white noisy screen once, which nearly broke my heart ). This silly issue is so nerve wracking and if there were a single inventor for HDMI he should be fired :-).
markrubin and ARROW-AV like this.

Regards, Can

Last edited by cannga; 05-06-2017 at 08:54 AM.
post #23 of 416 Old 05-06-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Good point. No in my case there is no strain because the connection is a "loose" point, Blue Jeans 35 ft connects to HDFury which connects to SSP with 3 ft cable, hence connection hang loosely. In addition I did (unintentionally) test the strain at the projector pretty good - bends connector up and down there causes no loss.

I am so elated that it works that I am not trying to reproduce the signal loss situation for now (blue screen once, and white noisy screen once, which nearly broke my heart ). This silly issue is so nerve wracking and if there were a single inventor for HDMI he should be fired :-).
Damn! One would think with the quality of most cables made today that EMI would not be an issue. Some of my cables are literally touching each other and I have no signal issues at all. Of course I'm only pushing 1080p at the moment so maybe the higher video standards have yet another "fickle factor". It could also be an intermittent issue with the HDFury or something else in the chain? How about if you zip tie the cables together and see if you can reproduce it? If not, then it's not EMI and you just have a gremlin that will hopefully will move onto someone else
cannga likes this.
post #24 of 416 Old 05-06-2017, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Damn! One would think with the quality of most cables made today that EMI would not be an issue. Some of my cables are literally touching each other and I have no signal issues at all. Of course I'm only pushing 1080p at the moment so maybe the higher video standards have yet another "fickle factor". It could also be an intermittent issue with the HDFury or something else in the chain? How about if you zip tie the cables together and see if you can reproduce it? If not, then it's not EMI and you just have a gremlin that will hopefully will move onto someone else
Yeah I could only think of 4 parameters that influence performance:
1. Size of cable: 24 g of Monoprice vs 23.5 g of Blue Jeans Belden series 1. Doesn't seem big enough of a difference.
2. Physical bending: perhaps in severe case and not in my case.
3. Signal loss from length: A few feet difference? Just doesn't seem likely but I could be wrong.
4. Signal integrity affected by length: EMI being the devil.

Of the 4, EMI seems to me the most likely candidate of how things get messed up with long distance HDMI. We know long distance RCA cables pick up hum, it's not too far fetched IMHO to make this connection to HDMI. All speculative of course and yes I hope that white screen gremlin moves onto the next unfortunate victim .

I bought 2 Blue Jeans to test, 25 ft and 35 ft, was going to return the 25 ft but ended up running it parallel to the 35 just in case LOL. The headache is not just worth it and plus I am hoping to have calibrator extraordinaire @Chad B coming to calibrate so can't take a chance!
ARROW-AV likes this.

Regards, Can

Last edited by cannga; 05-06-2017 at 11:00 AM.
post #25 of 416 Old 05-06-2017, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I just bought the 33' RUIPRO from Amazon. We'll see if that works when watching Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ARROW-AV likes this.

PN59D8000 and JVC RS420 with Elite 120" screen
Receiver - Yamaha RX-A3060, WXA-50 MusicCast Amp for Zone 2
Front - CM9, Center - CMC2, Side Surrounds - DS3, Rear Surrounds - CM5, Front/Rear Atmos - CCM663, Subs - PB12+ and PB13 Ultra
Remote/Streaming Media Players - Harmony Elite, Apple TV 4, Nvidia Shield Pro - use with HDHomeRun Connect/Extend and Plex
post #26 of 416 Old 05-06-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Yeah I could only think of 4 parameters that influence performance:
1. Size of cable: 24 g of Monoprice vs 23.5 g of Blue Jeans Belden series 1. Doesn't seem big enough of a difference.
2. Physical bending: perhaps in severe case and not in my case.
3. Signal loss from length: A few feet difference? Just doesn't seem likely but I could be wrong.
4. Signal integrity affected by length: EMI being the devil.

Of the 4, EMI seems to me the most likely candidate of how things get screwed up with long distance HDMI. We know long distance RCA cables pick up hum, it's not too far fetched IMHO to make this connection to HDMI. All speculative of course and yes I hope that white screen gremlin moves onto the next unfortunate victim .

I bought 2 Blue Jeans to test, 25 ft and 35 ft, was going to return the 25 ft but ended up running it parallel to the 35 just in case LOL. The headache is not just worth it and plus I am hoping to have calibrator extraordinaire @Chad B coming to calibrate so can't take a chance!
It's a good idea to keep both cables, just in case. 10' may be the difference. It will be interesting to see what Chad has to say. Good luck!
ARROW-AV likes this.
post #27 of 416 Old 05-06-2017, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Great report, thanks for all of your hard work, looking forward to the next report.

I'm happy to see alternatives to the Celerity cables as mine worked for about a month and then stopped working at full bandwidth, not what I had hoped for at that price given that they are $400 here in Australia.
ARROW-AV likes this.
post #28 of 416 Old 05-07-2017, 01:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Very sorry to hear that, but surely you can just get it replaced under warranty?
post #29 of 416 Old 05-07-2017, 03:50 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Very sorry to hear that, but surely you can just get it replaced under warranty?
The distributor here were dragging their feet on "testing" the faulty cable so the retailer refunded me and will deal with the distributor, so all good here.
jong1 and ARROW-AV like this.
post #30 of 416 Old 05-07-2017, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Ran my 3 ft HDMI + Linker + Blue Jeans Series 1E 35 ft, all outside of wall without any problem… Got a taste of just how fickle long distance HDMI connection is: As my cable "snakes" from projector towards the BD player, at the player's end there are a bunch of other cables in the area: power cables, digital cable, internet cable, etc. If I lower the Blue Jeans towards other cables, I lose signal. If I raise the Blue Jeans higher to separate from others, signal comes back. I didn't want to test this too much for now because just wanted to leave well enough alone, but would add electromagnetic interference as one reason why these long, high speed, HDMI cables drop signal. I would think the prime suspect are the 110 v power cables/lines… While reading up on this topic, I came across a post in the past of someone testing with Blue Jeans 1E 25 ft that worked fine "outside," then stopped working once he pulled it through the ceiling (apparently a nightmare ); it was a puzzle to me back then. EMI as the cause makes sense out of this scenario. Difference between Blue Jeans *may* be that it has better isolation.
Nice idea and whilst we are not saying the it is not possible that EMI may possibly contribute to some degree in some instances towards an HDMI cable have issues passing video signals, please kindly note that with respect to all of our tests in all instances all cables were tested as 'PRE-INSTALLATION' in other words, NONE were installed into walls or ceilings; and the environment has one of the lowest/non-existent EMI you can possibly find within a residential environment. (Happy to elaborate if you wish).

But please do not misinterpret our saying so as implying that you are imagining things… Where all we are saying this that we can rule out EMI as being an influencing factor with respect to our evaluation and testing exercise. And that if it does indeed transpire to be an issue then this would simply be yet another thing to add to the list of possible causes of cable signal failures
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
question about shorter cables that reliably support 18GBPS… I need 12-15 foot cables to connect a Kaleidescape Strato and OPPO 205 to a Sony 940D… 10 foot cables work fine but when I go to 15 foot length, only the certified premium cables work: and they are too thick/heavy: a slim cable would work but I have yet to find one that is certified premium… any suggestions?
Hi Mark, We would recommend the 6m long RUIPRO. Whilst you don't need it 6m long the cable is highly flexible, very thin, and 100% reliable. It’s perfect for your needs.
Regarding the premium certified cables, we would like to know more regarding precisely how and to what extent these cables are tested, plus wait to hear a sufficiently considerable quantity of feedback from users, plus carry out some of our own tests, all of which before we ourselves will personally be vouching for these cables.

Sorry, if we are ‘Doubting Thomases’ in this regard but we have experienced too many instances of things that are supposed to deliver whatever performance only to discover that the reality is that in practice they fail to do so… Where we both hope and expect all of these cables to all pass 18 Gbps 100.0% of the time consistently, reliably, and without exception, but we just need for our own peace of mind to make absolutely definitively positively sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz063 View Post
Great report, thanks for all of your hard work, looking forward to the next report.
We’d like to thank everyone for their kind words and positive feedback. We are nuts about AV and like to be able to positively contribute to AV communities like this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz063 View Post
I'm happy to see alternatives to the Celerity cables as mine worked for about a month and then stopped working at full bandwidth, not what I had hoped for at that price given that they are $400 here in Australia.
For what it’s worth, we already have word that one of the Celerity cables that PASSED our testing which we provided to a business associate for installation into his company’s showroom facilities, was working initially but also subsequently failed… and they cost GBP £400 here in the UK! Given our experience to date we have concluded that they unfortunately are just not as reliable as some people think they are…

That said, we should add that same applies to fibre optic HDMI cables in general, in that whilst it is definitely the superior technology regards succeeding in reliably delivering 18Gbps, it cannot be taken for granted or assumed that any and all fibre optic cables will deliver the same perfect perrformance as eachother, because we have already determined that there is a significant variance in performance between the various fibre optic technology based HDMI cable products that we evaluated and tested, and so there is still the need to cherry-pick the cables which are confirmed by tests and/or indicated by user feedback to be the best performing.

Quote:
Yes, however that's a royal pain in the arse for everyone concerned... especially as compared with using a cable that delivers nothing but perfect performance every time... where we even found the (possible) need to connect power via USB to be an additional negative, let alone the now proven unreliability and cable failures... So sorry, but we won't be buying Celerity again and neither will any of our business associates or clients...
Cain, cannga and markrubin like this.

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 05-07-2017 at 04:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Tags
18 gbps , 2.0 , cables , fiber , hdmi

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page