Closed Thread

post #1 of 31 Old 08-12-2017, 04:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1193 Post(s)
Liked: 9053
Blue Jeans vs Monoprice

Just need some clarification, from casually reading threads here I came away with the impression that Blue Jeans Cable and Monoprice were both inexpensive, serviceable cables.

I checked out their sites and Blue Jeans was shocking more expensive than Monoprice??

I put a question mark because I am confused, am I reading things right?

Blue Jeans is more expensive than a few Auidioquest cables?????

Can someone give me the rundown on Blue Jeans?

Is there another cable company that makes good solid wire on the lower end?

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.

ELJR's "listening" blog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 08-12-2017, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Liked: 1191
Mediabridge?

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 31 Old 08-12-2017, 06:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Never heard of Blue Jeans?? May want to try Firefold.

post #4 of 31 Old 08-12-2017, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Thumbs up Monoprice is great

If you're talking about HDMI, I just got the Monoprice premium cables. Using for HDR and they're great. Why would you pay more than you have to? At $4 for a cable that works great, it's a no brainer. I think Blue Jeans gets a lot of press on AVS because they're one of the sponsors. I'm not saying they make bad cables, but they are a lot more expensive than Monoprice. I'm not sure where each company manufactures their cables, this may be why some prefer one over the other.

Pioneer Elite SC-LX901 Receiver, Magnepan MG2.5/R x4 and CC3 center channel speakers with Sound Anchor stands, Power Sound Audio S3000i subwoofer, Sony UBP-X800 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR-75X940E TV, Monoprice Premium HDMI and DH Labs Silver Sonic T-14 speaker cables
post #5 of 31 Old 08-12-2017, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
Mediabridge?
This is absolutely perfect, thanks. I had just ordered Audioquest but was able to cancel.

Still, it does not answer my question..... is Blue Jeans not a bottom feeder like Monoprice?

I know I bought long run (50ft) lan cable in the past.... but don't recall them being so expensive.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.

ELJR's "listening" blog.
post #6 of 31 Old 08-12-2017, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdoc View Post
If you're talking about HDMI, I just got the Monoprice premium cables. Using for HDR and they're great. Why would you pay more than you have to? At $4 for a cable that works great, it's a no brainer. I think Blue Jeans gets a lot of press on AVS because they're one of the sponsors. I'm not saying they make bad cables, but they are a lot more expensive than Monoprice. I'm not sure where each company manufactures their cables, this may be why some prefer one over the other.
I have not had success in the past with Monoprice. More than one cable with bad termination connections. Same with Audioquest but at least the Audioquest cable gave out after two years of daily use. (headphone cable) The Monoprice were a problem from day one. (not all of them, but they inspire no confidence)

My old Radio Shack's that I don't through out, in the barn covered with glop and spiders, are better.... for me anyway.

ELJR's "listening" blog.
post #7 of 31 Old 08-12-2017, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
is Blue Jeans not a bottom feeder like Monoprice?
Monoprice is not a bottom feeder, they just happen to sell quality and certified cables for a better price than most of their competitors...cost does not always equate to better quality.

Anecdotally, the only HDMI cable that I've ever had fail on me, was a 15' Blue Jeans cable...but in saying that, any cable can fail.
eljr likes this.

Marantz AV8802A | Wyred 4 Sound (500W X 3, 250W X 2) | Marantz MM7025 (140W X 2) | Oppo UDP-203 | ATV3 | Popcorn Hour V-Ten | LG OLED 65E6P | MiniDSP DDRC-88A | Oppo PM1 | APC H-15 power conditioners (x2)
GoldenEar Triton 1's (FL & FR) | SuperCenter XL (C) | Aon 2's (SL & SR) | SuperSat 3's (FHL & FHR) | SVS PB13-Ultra
post #8 of 31 Old 08-12-2017, 07:36 AM

In over 40 or more years... I have never had a cable or wire "go bad". Although, once I have a connection, it rarely moves.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #9 of 31 Old 08-12-2017, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
In over 40 or more years... I have never had a cable or wire "go bad". Although, once I have a connection, it rarely moves.
yeah, it's always the connection...

wish I had your luck though.

ELJR's "listening" blog.
post #10 of 31 Old 08-12-2017, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Wow, I'd say you are VERY fortunate.

I got a bad cable splitter from BlueJeans few months ago (bad connection, bad hum). Tossed it and put an extra on. Good to go. I normally buy an extra or 2 just because. Anyway, why try to fix, or, call and complain and get a replacement with something so inexpensive? Screw it, life is too short...
captainbrent likes this.

Epson 5040ub 125" 2.35:1 Silver Ticket (white)
Pioneer Elite SC-99 & Pioneer Elite A-20
Pioneer Elite SP-EFS73 (L,R,C) / SP-EBS73 (S & RS) / SW-E10 (4)
Sony UBP-X800
Xfinity X1 & nVidia Shield Pro

Last edited by Snoogleheimer; 08-12-2017 at 08:20 AM.
post #11 of 31 Old 08-12-2017, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I have had great success with Monoprice. You can buy through their site or Amazon. These cables are well-made and should last years. Save the money you might use for higher-priced cables to purchase useful items such as good banana plugs, HDMI locking cables with screws (Monoprice for example), lower-gauge speaker cables for long runs, cable management labels, etc. Most importantly, have fun as your budget allows!
post #12 of 31 Old 08-12-2017, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 187
check out monoprice's new certified SLIM HDMI cables. Just got in an order of them in various lengths. Been using the big beefy certified ones but they are a b1tch to organize in my rack...
post #13 of 31 Old 08-12-2017, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecmec View Post
check out monoprice's new certified SLIM HDMI cables. Just got in an order of them in various lengths. Been using the big beefy certified ones but they are a b1tch to organize in my rack...
Been using them for a few months now with no problems.

Sony UBP-X800
post #14 of 31 Old 08-12-2017, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 81
BJC is more expensive than monoprice because they are using cable stock manufactured in the US. They are also a very small company, less than 12 I believe. They do not move much volume compared to monoprice.

Basic economies of scale are at play here. BJC makes a quality product with materials manufactured in the US, monoprice also makes a quality product, albeit cheaper. Its a digital signal, so if it works, it works.
captainbrent and Madmax67 like this.
post #15 of 31 Old 08-12-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
wish I had your luck though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoogleheimer View Post
Wow, I'd say you are VERY fortunate...
Not luck or good fortune IMO. I just don't "play" with the wires/cables every day/week/month/year.... or decades.

post #16 of 31 Old 08-12-2017, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Not luck or good fortune IMO. I just don't "play" with the wires/cables every day/week/month/year.... or decades.
LMAO! Your assumption is now quite hilarious to be honest.

Sony UBP-X800
post #17 of 31 Old 08-12-2017, 10:22 AM

I have assumed nothing. I'm stating a fact based on my experience.

post #18 of 31 Old 08-12-2017, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjohnson1717 View Post
BJC is more expensive than monoprice because they are using cable stock manufactured in the US. They are also a very small company, less than 12 I believe. They do not move much volume compared to monoprice.

Basic economies of scale are at play here. BJC makes a quality product with materials manufactured in the US, monoprice also makes a quality product, albeit cheaper. Its a digital signal, so if it works, it works.
Scale is part of it. I have both type of cables and nothing more expensive. BlueJeans is more of a custom fabricator - you can specify the exact length you need, mix and match terminations (for example spades and bananas on the same speaker cable). They also tell you exactly which cable type they are using. I tend to Use Monoprice for their slim HDMI cables, with which I have had no issues, and BlueJeans for custom length basic interconnects and speaker wire. KnuKonceptz also make a good quality inexpensive speaker cable.
Ratman likes this.
post #19 of 31 Old 08-12-2017, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
BlueJeans is more of a custom fabricator - you can specify the exact length you need, mix and match terminations (for example spades and bananas on the same speaker cable). They also tell you exactly which cable type they are using. I tend to Use Monoprice for their slim HDMI cables, with which I have had no issues, and BlueJeans for custom length basic interconnects and speaker wire.
Same here. BJ is great for custom cables, especially interconnects. For off-the-shelf cables, I use Monoprice. Cables from either company are very good if not excellent quality for workmanship, materials and performance. The nice thing about BJ is that they give you a plethora of info about the materials their using.
post #20 of 31 Old 08-12-2017, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You're a funny guy. lol

Sony UBP-X800
post #21 of 31 Old 08-13-2017, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

ELJR's "listening" blog.

Last edited by eljr; 08-13-2017 at 05:44 AM.
post #22 of 31 Old 08-13-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
You're a funny guy. lol
What makes you believe I'm joking? Or, are you calling me a liar? Are you trying to make a specific point? If so, state your reason(s) without the snarky remarks.

post #23 of 31 Old 08-13-2017, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

LMAO! Hilarious!

Sony UBP-X800
post #24 of 31 Old 08-13-2017, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecmec View Post
Wish they had them in 10' and 15' lengths!

Marantz AV8802A | Wyred 4 Sound (500W X 3, 250W X 2) | Marantz MM7025 (140W X 2) | Oppo UDP-203 | ATV3 | Popcorn Hour V-Ten | LG OLED 65E6P | MiniDSP DDRC-88A | Oppo PM1 | APC H-15 power conditioners (x2)
GoldenEar Triton 1's (FL & FR) | SuperCenter XL (C) | Aon 2's (SL & SR) | SuperSat 3's (FHL & FHR) | SVS PB13-Ultra
post #25 of 31 Old 08-13-2017, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I'm a long term Monoprice slim HDMI cable. Obviously, the slims are easier to route and stay secure. Even with those advantages what, if any, performance deficiencies am I giving up using such slim HDMI cables?

LG OLED 55EG9100 HDTV, DirecTV HD DVR Genie HR44, DirecTV AM21 OTA Receiver, Sony BDPS6500 Blu-Ray, Bose Soundtouch 130 HTC (Sound Bar), Panamax MR5100 Power Manager, Harmony Elite Remote, Monoprice AV Cables

LG OLED 55EG9100 Calibrated by Best Buy Geek Squad
post #26 of 31 Old 08-13-2017, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Quote:
Indeed! Failure points are typically the terminations, which are more likely to fail the more they are messed with, or if insufficient to begin with and routed under stress.

Quote:
LMAO! Your assumption is now quite hilarious to be honest.
What assumption? That screwing around more and more with cables can lead to their demise?

Quote:
I'm backing this up. Same experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foobrew View Post
Same here. BJ is great for custom cables, especially interconnects. For off-the-shelf cables, I use Monoprice. Cables from either company are very good if not excellent quality for workmanship, materials and performance. The nice thing about BJ is that they give you a plethora of info about the materials their using.

Quote:
What makes you believe I'm joking? Or, are you calling me a liar? Are you trying to make a specific point? If so, state your reason(s) without the snarky remarks.
And......

Quote:
LMAO! Hilarious!
No point made yet.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Merc View Post
I'm a long term Monoprice slim HDMI cable. Obviously, the slims are easier to route and stay secure. Even with those advantages what, if any, performance deficiencies am I giving up using such slim HDMI cables?
Nothing. If the cable delivers what you are expecting, or what it is rated to do, then you're a happy camper!

My personal experience and observations have been that even cheap cables can be awesome and perform as well as pricier ones. However, cheaper, thinner cable tend to have less robust terminations. For the average Joe, probably not an issue. If one is doing a lot of plugging and unplugging, not a bad idea to have a sturdier termination, especially with HDMI cables - in fact, the ONLY cables with which I have ever had failures - due to the terminations.

BJC and Monoprice, for my experiences, are both great companies, reasonably priced. Sure, I paid "a lot" more for my Belden-FE series cables than for similar offerings from other companies, but even so - at the prices I paid for what I got, bargain - especially considering how many complaints/problems are out there surrounding HDMI issues, quite often the cables being the culprits for whatever reason.
Ratman, 49Merc and Madmax67 like this.

5.2.4 System....Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60; Power Distribution: Panamax M5400-PM;
Mains:
Paradigm 85F and 55C (Piano Black); Side Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III (Dusk); Amplification: D-Sonic M3-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w);
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Sony BDP S-470, Pioneer CLD-59
post #27 of 31 Old 08-14-2017, 12:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked: 947
Quote:
Yeah,I don't get that. I've almost ripped my damn receivers sub pre out right out of its enclosure from messing with tight Mediabridge RCA interconnects and also accidentally bent my TV's HDMI input from using too thick a Monoprice cable without ample support at the connection point before so this makes perfect sense to me. Checking speaker wire banana plugs from time to time is a good idea though as they tend to loosen up a bit over time but for the most part "set and forget" is a good motto for cabling.

I think he just got done watching a Goodfella's marathon on AMC or something.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #28 of 31 Old 08-14-2017, 02:45 AM
Advanced Member

And the hilarity continues. LMAO! derp derp derp

Sony UBP-X800
post #29 of 31 Old 08-14-2017, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
BJC and Monoprice, for my experiences, are both great companies, reasonably priced.
Blue Jean Cables
6 foot, 3.5mm stereo to 3.5mm stereo
$35.25

Monoprice
6 foot, 3.5mm stereo to 3.5mm stereo
$1.86

Seems quite a contrast to me which is why I started this thread. Being redundant, reading the statements like you just made over the years really surprised me when I saw the price contrast.

Now consider:

Audioquest
6.5 foot, 3.5mm stereo to 3.5mm stereo
$29.75

Seems to be a disconnect here somewhere.

??????
NaTeDoGG likes this.

ELJR's "listening" blog.
post #30 of 31 Old 08-14-2017, 05:02 AM

Quote:
And the hilarity continues. LMAO! derp derp derp
If you have nothing of substance to contribute to the thread, please move along.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page