100' HDMI Setup With Error Message - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-12-2017, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
100' HDMI Setup With Error Message

Hey guys. I have absolutely 0 knowledge about anything HDMI. Ive researched here on this site and in the forums and have just become increasingly confused. Back in August 2016 I had my 60" LG tv mounted as well as the components (DirectTV) hidden. The run of HDMI ended up being 100' when all said and done (pulling through walls etc) This worked well up until a couple months ago when I received an error message on my TV: "your tv does not support this programs content protection. Replacing the tvs hdmi cable with component cables will allow you to view the program".

I went to Best Buy and the rep at Magnolia (?) explained that what I was trying to do was going to be very expensive, he got into Baluns, Cat cables etc..... he explained how the 100' run was too long, which I understand and that it was a handshake issue and HDMI 2.0 issue etc... So I bought a wireless transmitter as a temp solution and the picture quality is taking a hit. Directv says the TV is obsolete (Its a 2013) and Best Buy says the TV is fine.

So my question is, what caused this error message and how do I remedy this? Clearly a 100' HDMI run is too long. At this point Id like to get a setup for future 4k and a bigger TV if Im going to do it right. Would a Balun or HDMI extender be better? Which Cat cable? I greatly appreciate the help!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-12-2017, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Need more DETAILS, such as what type of Hardwired Cable and part numbers for HDMI I/F Devices, as well as part numbers for Wireless Solution.

Do you get this error ALL the time, frequently or very infrequently??? Does it tend to occur when trying to pass High Data Rate signals, such as "4K" and/or "3D"???

And what is the Line-Of-Sight RF Path Length for the Wireless solution...and how many walls are in the way, as well as whether Refrigerator/Freezer/whatever is blocking the signal??
post #3 of 6 Old 08-12-2017, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

I forget the name of the wireless device I bought but that's not what the issue is. I am removing the wireless transmitter once I get the problem fixed, it was only a temporary fix. The error message occurred suddenly and it was permanent. The HDMI cord came from monoprice.

post #4 of 6 Old 08-13-2017, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 223
'your tv does not support this programs content protection. Replacing the tvs hdmi cable with component cables will allow you to view the program".' - may or may not have anything to do with your cable length. Are you able to move the Source on a temporary basis to within 6' (2m) and try connecting the devices with a short HDMI cable.

'So my question is, what caused this error message and how do I remedy this?' - the first part of that questions can be very hard to pin down without some very expensive diagnostic hardware. Something to ensure is that all devices you have connected have the latest Firmware installed. I would also go into the User Menus and ensure HDMI CEC is disabled on all devices - it can often be reset when a device runs a Firmware update and this can cause a previously working system to stop working.

'if Im going to do it right.' - for now a big, smooth bore conduit with a pull cord is the best you can achieve for long term reliability. If you want to install something which caters for everything currently possible then a Hybrid Fibre HDMI cable is the best solution (Ruipro being our favoured solution). I would also run one or two CAT6 alongside the Hybrid Fibre cable for backup.

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

Ruipro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial system Design, Consultancy, Installation, Supply and Integration.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-14-2017, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post
'your tv does not support this programs content protection. Replacing the tvs hdmi cable with component cables will allow you to view the program".' - may or may not have anything to do with your cable length. Are you able to move the Source on a temporary basis to within 6' (2m) and try connecting the devices with a short HDMI cable.

'So my question is, what caused this error message and how do I remedy this?' - the first part of that questions can be very hard to pin down without some very expensive diagnostic hardware. Something to ensure is that all devices you have connected have the latest Firmware installed. I would also go into the User Menus and ensure HDMI CEC is disabled on all devices - it can often be reset when a device runs a Firmware update and this can cause a previously working system to stop working.

'if Im going to do it right.' - for now a big, smooth bore conduit with a pull cord is the best you can achieve for long term reliability. If you want to install something which caters for everything currently possible then a Hybrid Fibre HDMI cable is the best solution (Ruipro being our favoured solution). I would also run one or two CAT6 alongside the Hybrid Fibre cable for backup.

Joe
Thanks for the reply, Joe. I have not tried to move the source closer to the TV because I purchased the wireless transmitter at BestBuy almost immediately, I set it up and it worked, I havent had any issues with an error message of any sort. Like I said, picture quality is noticeably less than wired.

Im assuming my Directv box (source) updates OTA without my prompting or anything and I did update my TV's firmware. I didnt know about HDMI CEC at the time, and dont necessarily understand it now, either.

After reading the forums here for probably 4-6 hours on Sunday, I came across the testing thread that AV Arrow (?) did and purchased the 100' Monoprice Slim Line HDR 4:4:4 fibre optic cable etc.... Monoprice had a sale and it was an addtl $30 off so I ended up paying $180. I was really torn between the Monoprice and the Ruipro after reading the results of the testing, they both performed the same. I am able to pull wire without problem, I have open ceiling joist in the basement where the wire runs.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-14-2017, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1667 Post(s)
Liked: 1042
As Joe indicated, a fiber cable (probably Ruipro) is going to be your best bet and installing it in a conduit (1.5" - 2.0") is the ONLY way to future proof your connection because video standards are going to change and so will their connection options. As far as a the CAT-6 cable goes, make sure it is a solid copper core CAT-6 cable (not CCS or a CAT-6 ethernet patch cable). Take any cable mfrs claim with a grain of salt because you have no idea on how they determine their cable's performance by using carefully worded descriptions. Connected hardware as well as bend radius also play a big part in how well your cable run is going to work. 100' is pretty long for any type of cable, be it copper-based or fiber.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page