Using Thicker HDMI's for Short Runs - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes
  • 1 Post By Otto Pylot
  • 2 Post By roknrol
  • 2 Post By Mirko Lopez
  • 2 Post By Joe Fernand
  • 1 Post By 49Merc
  • 2 Post By Joe Fernand
  • 2 Post By Muphasta

post #1 of 10 Old 08-17-2017, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Using Thicker HDMI's for Short Runs

I'm about to reposition components in the AV cabinet so HDMI runs will be much shorter. Possibly as short as 1.5/2 feet. The longest should be 3 to 4 feet. Currently using Monoprice slim HDMI's for their ease of use. The reason I went to slims were the superior connection and easier routing, (non-flexible issue with thicker HDMI's). With all that said if I do go to thicker gauge HDMI's I believe secure attachment add-ons gizmos may be required.

Your opinions please.
  1. With such short runs will thicker gauge HDMI's be of a real benefit?
  2. Can you suggest secure attachment add-ons to retain the thicker gauge HDMI's in place?

LG OLED 55EG9100 HDTV, DirecTV HD DVR Genie HR44, DirecTV AM21 OTA Receiver, Sony BDPS6500 Blu-Ray, Bose Soundtouch 130 HTC (Sound Bar), Panamax MR5100 Power Manager, Harmony Elite Remote, Monoprice AV Cables

LG OLED 55EG9100 Calibrated by Best Buy Geek Squad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-17-2017, 09:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked: 1042
At 4' max length, I don't think you'll see any benefit with a thicker gauge HDMI cable. AWG24 should be ok without putting any stress on the HDMI inputs if you have a bit of slack. There are cable locks that seem to work ok. I don't have the link but I'm sure someone will.
Muphasta likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-18-2017, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Honestly if the slims you have now are working fine, I wouldn't go to the expense or trouble changing them out. Just use some cable management (ties or wraps) if you want to pretty up the wiring. I'm actually moving in the opposite direction of you now - replacing my thick cables with monoprice slims where I can.
49Merc and Muphasta like this.

post #4 of 10 Old 08-18-2017, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
HDMI cables

I went the same route. Felt my cables were way too long for my new installation after I moved. I ordered new HDMI cables from Monoprice, all slim. I just think it's all neater and less cluttered and I have limited space behind my equipment. Having said that, I'm a little disappointed at how loose the new HDMIs fit in the sockets. Wish they were tighter. Cheap though!
post #5 of 10 Old 08-18-2017, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Other than any perceived physical benefits there will be no benefit in terms of audio or video if you go with a heavier gauge cable stock.

If purchasing new cables look for the official High Speed or Premium High Speed logo's if you want any form of 'certified' cable.

Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

Ruipro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial system Design, Consultancy, Installation, Supply and Integration.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-18-2017, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post
Other than any perceived physical benefits there will be no benefit in terms of audio or video if you go with a heavier gauge cable stock.

If purchasing new cables look for the official High Speed or Premium High Speed logo's if you want any form of 'certified' cable.

Joe

Joe,
Can the below described HDMI cable be used for all resolutions? I ask because my current AV is 1080p max.

Thanks

Monoprice Certified Premium Ultra Slim High Speed HDMI Cable, HDR, 36AWG

Monoprice's Certified Premium High Speed HDMI® Cable is designed to meet and exceed the highest standards of HDMI performance. Capable of delivering 18Gbps bandwidth, these are the only cables to be tested and certified by HDMI Authorized Test Centers to ensure they support all features in the latest HDMI specification. Guaranteed to work with all modern 4K equipment, the Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cable is the perfect choice for all your 4K and High Speed HDMI display needs.

LG OLED 55EG9100 HDTV, DirecTV HD DVR Genie HR44, DirecTV AM21 OTA Receiver, Sony BDPS6500 Blu-Ray, Bose Soundtouch 130 HTC (Sound Bar), Panamax MR5100 Power Manager, Harmony Elite Remote, Monoprice AV Cables

post #7 of 10 Old 08-19-2017, 05:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

As long as it is not longer than 8m you should be good for all current requirements.

Joe

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial system Design, Consultancy, Installation, Supply and Integration.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-19-2017, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As long as it is not longer than 8m you should be good for all current requirements.

Joe
314 inches! Wow! No, my longest run is 1.22m, 48 inches.

Thanks Joe.

Btw, we love the U.K.. Had hoped to retire in England or rural Scotland but health, grown children and grandchildren kept us here.
Joe Fernand likes this.

post #9 of 10 Old 08-19-2017, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You def need to be in good health for our winters here in the Scottish Borders - funnily enough we all tend to dream of a retirement in the sunshine

post #10 of 10 Old 08-19-2017, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
You def need to be in good health for our winters here in the Scottish Borders - funnily enough we all tend to dream of a retirement in the sunshine

off topic but... I live in SoCal and it is sunny 598 days a year, but we pay for that sunshine (and the extra days a year).

I grew up in the midwest (Michigan) w/4 seasons and the youthful part of my brain misses the snow. My aging body certainly doesn't miss the cold!

On topic - Monoprice slims are as good as anything else I've used.
Joe Fernand and 49Merc like this.

I need music every day. If I'm not listening to music, I'm listening to stand up comedians, or watching comedies. Music and laughter keep me going.

I don't do dramas, and try to avoid drama in my life as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page