Blue Jeans HDMI will not work for 4K at >25 ft - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By NaTeDoGG
  • 1 Post By Dreamliner

post #1 of 8 Old 08-25-2017, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Blue Jeans HDMI will not work for 4K at >25 ft

I posted here about getting a black screen with 4K. Turns out the $350 of HDMI cables I bought from Blue Jeans can't pass 4K. This is my fault for not doing sufficient research, however I do feel mislead by BJC's purchase page. I'm constantly reading on AVS that BJC is a good company with great quality cables. I didn't realize that alternatives to copper HDMI even existed and I mistakenly thought I had to buy good quality cables and hope for the best (which used to be true). The problem I have is that the BJC website gives the impression that their cables will work for runs longer than the certified lengths. This may be true for 1080p, but it is not true for 4K! Any runs over 25 feet will definitely not work for 4K, yet the only thing the BJC HDMI page says about 4K is "Supports all HDMI protocols and standards, such as 3D, 4Kx2K, 1080p, etc." They have a 3800 word article on a different page that eventually provides the information, but IMHO it is far from clear that their HDMI cables won't work for 4K at > 25 feet.

I contacted BJC and explained why I think their website is misleading. It has now been more than 3 weeks, but they have not improved their website text. Given this, IMO BJC is deliberately deceiving at worst and negligent at best. Also, I am unimpressed by BJC's customer service and tone. The following is our correspondence:
Spoiler!
It has been more than 3 weeks since this last message, but BJC has opted not to make their purchase page more clear. I hope this thread helps others to avoid my $350 mistake!

TLDR; if you need 4K, don't buy copper HDMI cables (from BJC or anywhere else) for runs >= 25 feet. Instead, buy optical HDMI cables.
Dreamliner likes this.

Last edited by NaTeDoGG; 08-25-2017 at 05:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-25-2017, 04:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 312
People don't know what they don't know. It is absolutely the company’s responsibility to ensure they are actually solving the problem their customer is having.

Customers are stupid, everybody knows this. I sell a product that is very niche and is often (10% or so) mistaken for something else when purchased, despite multiple very clear warnings and descriptions. I still take time to individually message each customer to ensure they understand what they are purchasing. I'd rather do an immediate refund or upsell them to the correct product than to ship them the 'wrong' one and have to deal with a return and upset customers. Since I started messaging customers, guess how many returns I have processed? Zero.

HDCP 2.2 UHD 4K is insanely finicky, the only people that know this are the cable makers and upset customers who unknowingly bought the wrong cable (and a few overachievers on AVSForum). In 2017, it is absolutely the cable makers’ responsibility to make it crystal clear the cable being purchased will not work for the reason it's probably being purchased.

If BJC and other HDMI cable makers truly care, then their resolution to this issue is simple:

1) Make it very clear in a separate category which cables are tested for HDCP 2.2 UHD 60Hz content.
2) Indicate in your product description cables not tested for HDCP 2.2 UHD 60Hz content.
3) Indicate in your product cart the cables not tested for HDCP 2.2 UHD 60Hz content.
4) Indicate in your email invoice in big bold letters cables not tested for HDCP 2.2 UHD 60Hz content.
5) Bonus points if you incorporate a pop up or send a follow up message the user has to click to acknowledge.

This thread is what happens when you blame the customer for not knowing what you do.
NaTeDoGG likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-25-2017, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
1) Make it very clear in a separate category which cables are tested for HDCP 2.2 UHD 60Hz content.
2) Indicate in your product description cables not tested for HDCP 2.2 UHD 60Hz content.
3) Indicate in your product cart the cables not tested for HDCP 2.2 UHD 60Hz content.
4) Indicate in your email invoice in big bold letters cables not tested for HDCP 2.2 UHD 60Hz content.
5) Bonus points if you incorporate a pop up or send a follow up message the user has to click to acknowledge.
Such extreme measures wouldn't have been necessary for me. They just need a simple sentence saying, "no copper HDMI cable > 25 feet in length can carry 4K signals". They don't sell an alternative soltuion (optical HDMI cables) so I don't expect them to mention one, just stating their product's limitations would be sufficient.

Beyond that, it would be nice to clarify the text which says, "[snip] 25 feet for Category 2 (High speed. In actual usage, it ordinarily will work at distances far exceeding these [snip]". I doubt many customers know what Category 2 is. If you are going to suggest using your product outside the specifications, that is a very good time to be clear about your suggestion. Without looking it up, I assumed Category 2 was 4K, partly because 4K isn't mentioned anywhere else on the page.

post #4 of 8 Old 08-25-2017, 05:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Nate,

Sorry to hear about your cabling issues with BJC. I've used their cables for years and, in fact, purchased the 15 foot FE cable for my 4K setup. It works like a charm because I took the time to read through all of their literature to make sure it would meet my needs. Their site specifically states:

"It remains the case that the intent of the spec is that any legitimate "high speed" HDMI cable under 1.3/1.4 should handle 2.0 signals; but only a Premium HDMI Cable has actually been tested at the full 18.0 Gbps bandwidth and proven to actually work; and only a Premium HDMI Cable bears the anti-counterfeiting sticker to ensure that the manufacturer of the cable really does hold a certificate for that particular product."

To date, the maximum BJC cable length to wear that Premium label is 15 feet. I've been down the same road as you when it comes to purchasing equipment. I want to make sure that my hard earned money is going to purchase only those products that perform as I need them to perform. Unfortunately, unlike the days of 1080p when you could extend performance over longer cable runs, the 4K specs have taken any wriggle room out of the equation. You have to buy Premium HDMI cable to insure 4K performance. Anything else is guesswork (or just hoping for the best).

Just my 2 cents worth. Hope you get that setup to work for you!

ez
post #5 of 8 Old 08-25-2017, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezdriver View Post
Their site specifically states:
It does, though it states that in a 3800 word article linked from the purchase page and the information is embedded in pages and pages of HDMI history. Then the purchase page says, "All lengths up to 15 feet are now Premium HDMI Cable certified". As a customer, I have to read a long article filled with information irrelevant to my purchase, figure out that 4K compatible cables are called "Premium", then find that sentence on the purchase page so I know what to buy. I don't consider that clear.

How much simpler would it be to just provide the information necessary to make a purchase directly on the purchase page? Eg: You want 1080p? These cables are certified to length X but likely work at longer lengths. You want 4K? These cables will work up to a maximum of 15 feet. THAT would be clear.

BJC says, "all we can do is offer as much information as we can to educate the buyer prior to making a purchase" but IMHO this is not the case and it cost me $350.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-25-2017, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I started with a 3D projector and a 4K (but unfortunately not HDR compatable) Sony tv. I now have an Oppo 203 and a 4k VLPL-VW365 Sony 4K projector and a Yamaha receiver with two hdmi outputs.
Before I bought my Yamaha 3050 receiver with two outputs, I needed to connect my disk player to my receiver and then the receiver output to a cable (a monoprice 4 meter cable "high speed" ) that I could plug into either a short run cable to the Sony tv or to a second HDMI cable to my non 4K projector. I could never get a switch that effectively worked. for HDMI. I used a little HDMI union coupler at that junction to select TV or Projector to plug into the Yamaha Monoprice output cable. I bought a new Audioquest Pearl cable for direct connection of the receiver and tv when I was trying switches unsuccessfully and changed the 25 foot run throught he attic to the Blue Jeans "BJC Series 1 Belden bonded cable since it seemed to be certified to run 4k at that length. I tried the Monoprice to BJC hdmi with the coupler on the living room floor and it seemed fine so I never eliminated the coupler or the 4 meter Monoprice cable. So my Sony 4Kprojector runs just fine with a 25 ft Blue Jeans cable and a coupler to another 4 meter Monoprice high speed cable. I could have run the 25 ft Blue Jeans directly to the Yamaha if I needed to do it but would have had to endure crawling around on the attic floor in the fiberglass insulation in some tight places to reroute it and have it reach the receiver from a different drop from the attic. If it works don't fix it but try it to see if it works before committing to a change. I never heard of an optical substitute or I might have tried it. I hope they have more reliable plugs and sockets than normal HDMI but I would think they need a conversion coupler to standard HDMI on each end anyway so who knows.

Bill Shenefelt
http://sheneskillies.com
william.shenefelt@verizon.net
post #7 of 8 Old 08-25-2017, 06:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Agreed. HDMI and all of its versions are a complete clusterf--k when it comes to consumer purchasing. Very confusing with all of the different versions and their individual specs. A simple listing as you have displayed would be perfect.

I have always considered HDMI cables to be more important than the components to which they are connected because if they don't work, nothing will work. The old saying "consumer beware" applies here and I think BJC's approach is that the consumer should have every piece of information as possible about HDMI. I applaud them for that but it is also a very confusing mish-mash for the average consumer. Hopefully, that will change on their site and they will offer both a simplified as well as a comprehensive display of information.

ez
post #8 of 8 Old 08-25-2017, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked: 1043
If one has been following this forum you'd know by now that cable mfrs, even reputable ones like BJC, Monoprice, MediaBridge, etc make all kinds of carefully worded claims. Premium High Speed HDMI cables are the only ones with that name that have been tested by an ATC (Authorized Testing Center) following the certification protocols designed by HDMI.org, and they come with a QR code for authenticity. However, the 25' max length is the same as it was for HDMI 1.4b. 4k can be successfully run at distances a bit longer than 25' but it depends on how the cable is installed (bend radius) and the equipment it is connected to (including the version of the HDMI chipsets used). This is why the recommendation to run conduit if at all possible is pushed because no matter what cable you install today, you will be swapping it out at a future date as video standards progress. For any run over 25', installing fiber (either Celerity or Ruipro) in conduit is highly recommended. This will only get worse once fully compliant HDMI 2.1 is in consumer devices and readily available. Plan now with conduit. You could also install a solid core CAT-6 (non-CCS and not CAT-6 ethernet patch cable) for future use because as soon as the new HDMI chipsets are available in active termination, like HDBT, you should be good to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page