MacBooks HDMI thru Denon receiver to Projector - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-05-2017, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
MacBooks HDMI thru Denon receiver to Projector

I have an installation I did using a Denon AVR 2808 Ci to accept the HDMI signal from a PC or Mac . The HDMI comes into the Denon on HDMI 1 and out the Main Monitor HDMI output. I take the Preamp outputs of the Denon into a X32 Digital mixer into a really nice sound system in the Hall...

the projector is fed HDMI via a cat-5 extender and it all works except when using a Mac laptop...

A PC connected via HDMI connects and passes video to the projector no problem... audio to the sound system

A Mac using a mini display port with an HDMI adapter makes the HDMI handshake, I see the Denon shows connection and the projector shows connection but no Video is passed with this connection. The Mac also shows the Denon as a display option and that is selected and they react and make HDMI connection.

If i bypass the Denon and plug direct with a mini display to HDMI adapter I get video on screen from a MAC or PC

If I rout thru the Denon the PC is displayed but Mac does not. I made sure I am using all good cables and adapters and high speed HDMI cables throughout the system.

I swapped an USB 3.0 to HDMI adapter onto both my MacBooks and they both display video passing thru the Denon Receiver and audio to the digital mixer. Its just using the Mini Port display to HDMI from a Mac that does not pass video when going thru the Denon.

Is there a setting I am missing here? anyone able to shed some light on this?

the Denon has only HDMI assignments which is all working.

Why would USB 3.0 to HDMI function and not Mini Port to HDMI on a Mac?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-05-2017, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 225
MiniDP to HDMI - are you using an Apple supplied adapter?

MacBook - are you setting the MiniDP port to an HD Resolution/Refresh rate to ensure the AVR supports the signal.

MacBook - you may find it simpler to use Optical Out from its headphone socket to the AVR.

AVR - what happens if you stick a Display on a short HDMI cable on the Output side of the AVR?

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

Ruipro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial system Design, Consultancy, Installation, Supply and Integration.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-06-2017, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post
MiniDP to HDMI - are you using an Apple supplied adapter?

MacBook - are you setting the MiniDP port to an HD Resolution/Refresh rate to ensure the AVR supports the signal.

MacBook - you may find it simpler to use Optical Out from its headphone socket to the AVR.

AVR - what happens if you stick a Display on a short HDMI cable on the Output side of the AVR?

Joe
Thank you Joe!

Yes I selected various resolutions when using the mini port and still no video passes but i will try that again today.

Optical Output is only audio. This is in a Community center with the A/V system rack in a back room and we use a wall plate HDMI to get to the Denon from the Hall. We also use a basic RCA connection directly to the X32 Digital Mixer if we want audio only bypassing the Denon. The Digital Mixer uses an iPad as a controller in the Hall... I installed some tectonic Flat Panel Speakers and Meyer Subs as mains and some really nice Meyer MM4 and another sub up over head for surround and an alternate system when the stage is not in use. .. really killer system!

The Denon does one thing and that is take a HDMI signal and pass it on to the projector out the HDMI Monitor output we use the analog RCA 5.1 preamp outputs to get both stereo and surround signals into the Digital mixer and we have surround capability in our speaker system... this all works! the only problem is using a Mac with mini port to HDMI thru the Denon will only connect and make the handshake and no video. When Using a USB 3.0 to HDMI it works perfectly.

The AVR works great with the cat-5 extender into the projector. There is no other Display available in this facility but I do have a 7" mini HD screen I use which I will dig out of storage and test that on the output of the AVR when mini port is connected. But if the AVR and Projector and Mac all see each other and do the HDMI handshake there is connectivity happening. We even got the Mini Port HDMI adapter to actually show up once on the screen but when we swapped to a PC and back to the Mac it would not display video. In the Mac display preferences with the mini port/HDMI connected, we see the Denon AVR listed and we can select it and the Denon will then display HDMI connectivity on its front panel and the projector will display that it is connected too but no video is output... And yes we have the arrangement set to mirror and I have set it to a secondary display just to try it.

post #4 of 4 Old 09-06-2017, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 225
You are not the first person (nor I suspect the last) to be tearing your hair out trying to get a Mac to talk to an AVR - I know that feeling.

An EDID Manager such as the HDFury DR HDMI, or the more feature laden Linker, may be required to sit between the Mac and the AVR - that way you can 'isolate' any EDID the AVR is sending to the Mac plus enable an 'always on' Sink for the Mac.

I have also used our Octava HDDA12A as an intermediary between a Mac and an AVR - http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20dist...02%20port.html

Another option is an ATV direct to the AVR and AirPlay to it from the MacBook?

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

Ruipro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial system Design, Consultancy, Installation, Supply and Integration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page