Fibbr Ultra Pro Fiber-Optic HDMI Cable at CEDIA 2017 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-09-2017, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1621 Post(s)
Liked: 4374
Fibbr Ultra Pro Fiber-Optic HDMI Cable at CEDIA 2017

The Fibbr Ultra Pro fiber-optic HDMI cable can reliably convey 4K/UHD HDR signals up to 200 meters.

http://www.avsforum.com/fibbr-ultra-...le-cedia-2017/

Scott Wilkinson
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-09-2017, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I'd think the only "iffy" part would be spending $500 on a cable with the HDMI spec change imminent...I can't remember a more tumultuous time in HT with upcoming/unresolved HDR specs, HDMI cable specs, manufacturers adding additional channels to Dolby Atmos/DTS-X receivers, class D amplification changeover, integrated wireless home audio software, etc. I need a new receiver but I'm holding tight for as long as possible...maybe a year. Also, with manufacturers embellishing specs and outright fibbing about power specs...they should have done a focus group before naming their company Fibbr ("fibber")
post #3 of 10 Old 09-09-2017, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked: 1043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
The Fibbr Ultra Pro fiber-optic HDMI cable can reliably convey 4K/UHD HDR signals up to 200 meters.

http://www.avsforum.com/fibbr-ultra-...le-cedia-2017/
Somebody posted a link back in late August to the Fibbr website in Taiwan (I think). Supposedly the cable is able to handle 56Gbps. Time will tell once it's in a few consumer's hands as to how well it performs (at a very hefty price). As with most HDMI product announcements I'll take that with a large grain of salt. With HDMI 2.1 looming on the horizon and 3.0 probably not too far off any new cable claims are to be suspect until tested in real life setups and not some QA lab.

post #4 of 10 Old 09-09-2017, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Somebody posted a link back in late August to the Fibbr website in Taiwan (I think). Supposedly the cable is able to handle 56Gbps. Time will tell once it's in a few consumer's hands as to how well it performs (at a very hefty price). As with most HDMI product announcements I'll take that with a large grain of salt. With HDMI 2.1 looming on the horizon and 3.0 probably not too far off any new cable claims are to be suspect until tested in real life setups and not some QA lab.
I was thinking about this just the other day when I was running an HDMI cable through my attic to a new ceiling mounted projector, why wasn't HDMI a fiber optic standard from the beginning? Would the electronics have been too expensive to pull it off? It seems like the cables would have been nearly "future proof".
post #5 of 10 Old 09-09-2017, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked: 1043
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMcLain View Post
I was thinking about this just the other day when I was running an HDMI cable through my attic to a new ceiling mounted projector, why wasn't HDMI a fiber optic standard from the beginning? Would the electronics have been too expensive to pull it off? It seems like the cables would have been nearly "future proof".
Most consider the only way to "future proof" cable installations is to use 1.5" - 2.0" conduit so you can easily, and safely, upgrade/fix your cabling as needs change. Fiber cables would have been too costly initially and most installations, at least prior to 4k, did just fine with a passive or active HDMI cable, even at lengths longer than 25'. HDMI 2.1, to be fully compliant at 48Gbps is supposed to require a special cable, and the maximum length is rumored to be no more than 6'.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-09-2017, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked: 1009
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMcLain View Post
It wouldn't have been considered cost effective to do properly, a passive cable just has less to go wrong.

"Ich spreche Klingon und du?"/ "Ich spreche auch Klingon"/ "Und sie ?"/ "Wir sprechen Klingon! "
post #7 of 10 Old 09-09-2017, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
It wouldn't have been considered cost effective to do properly, a passive cable just has less to go wrong.
That's what I meant, a passive fiber optic cable like the one used for SPDIF or toslink etc. That would have been cool.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-12-2017, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Whats crazy to me is the INSANE markup that these cables get because you have to figure these cables are still pennies on the dollar to make, may not be as cheap as typical wire hdmi cables but even still, I cant imagine that these cost so much to produce so they probably sitting on like some 400% markup at least... ^^;;

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Darbee 5000s
Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR),
Polk Audio TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR), (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE
Arrangement: 5.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, Roku 4, HTPC, Nexus Player
post #9 of 10 Old 09-12-2017, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Ruipro and Monoprice both have optical cables at a lower price point that can handle 18 GBit/s (UHD 60Hz 4:4:4).

One downside of these hybrid cables is that DDC and other control signals are still using copper, so on longer runs you can have problems with EDID, HDCP, CEC and/or ARC. I don't know of any fully optical cables that also convey these signals via a fiber.

Good thread right here on AVS: TEST REPORTS | HDMI CABLES WHICH PROPERLY AND RELIABLY SUPPORT 18GBPS & HDMI 2.0b
post #10 of 10 Old 09-12-2017, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 225
We have a fair few 20m, 30m and 50m Ruipro Hybrid Fibre supplied/installed and no hassles so far - we find the copper return makes for a more seamless experience vs. the all Fibre solutions we had been supplying before Ruipro came along.

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

Ruipro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial system Design, Consultancy, Installation, Supply and Integration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Tags
cedia 2017 , fibbr , fiber optic , hdmi , ultra pro

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page