Do 90 degree Elbows need to be HDR? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-09-2017, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Do 90 degree Elbows need to be HDR?

Quick question. I'm looking for some 90 degree elbows (My receiver is deep and my cabinet is shallow), but none of them mention being HDR compatible. Do they not need to be? I have HDR cables but thought if I don't have HDR elbows then it would be useless to have the HDR cables. Anyone know of some inexpensive HDR elbows? I'd rather not buy cables that have a 90 elbow on them, but will if I have to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-09-2017, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1669 Post(s)
Liked: 1043
What's an HDR cable? They are either a passive or active High Speed HDMI cable, unless you're using a fiber optic cable because of distance issues. The 90 elbow should just pass thru the signal to the HDMI sink end. I've never heard of HDR compatible 90 degree connectors. Should be an easy thing to try if there are any doubts.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-09-2017, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Sorry, I meant the Ultra High Speed HDMI cables that support 4k and HDR and all that jazz. I think that's HDMI 2.0? They are inexpensive, so I assume passive. I guess I'll have to just get some o the elbows and try them.

Last edited by s!ke; 09-09-2017 at 08:49 PM.

post #4 of 7 Old 09-10-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s!ke View Post
Sorry, I meant the Ultra High Speed HDMI cables that support 4k and HDR and all that jazz. I think that's HDMI 2.0? They are inexpensive, so I assume passive. I guess I'll have to just get some o the elbows and try them.
There is no such thing as an HDMI 2.0 cable. That is a hardware designation and not a cable designation. "Ultra" is just a marketing term. All good quality High Speed HDMI cables will support HDMI 1.4/2.0 up to a certain point and can be certified to meet some of those specifications up to 25'. An active cable is uni-directional and is marked as such (source -> sink). The only advantage of an active cable is to extend the distance reliability past 25'. This works extremely well for 1080p but once you get into 4k HDR, all bets are off. Active cables will have a chipset in the sink end for error correction, timing, etc to extend that distance. However, the newer chipset (full HDMI 2.0 and eventually 2.1) are just becoming available in consumer devices, but there is no easy way to determine which version of chipsets you have. That also goes for your connected devices and that's one of the reasons why there are issues with 4k HDR at distances over about 20'. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, regardless of what the cable mfr or reseller states in their "specs". That's why if you can keep your connections, source to sink, as simple as possible (no extenders or other connectors), your chances are much better for reliability. However, it's all trial and error so all you can do is try. Fiber cables seem to have the most reliability at present for 4k HDR but you need to keep the bend radius in mind as well.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-14-2017, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 225
The 90' adapters (left, right, up or down) we have found to be universally unreliable and prefer to use a short, flexible HDMI Male to Female cable - these do not fail at anything like the rate the 'adapters' fail.

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

Ruipro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial system Design, Consultancy, Installation, Supply and Integration.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-14-2017, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 221
I would send a question to Blue Jeans Cable to see what they say. They sell the right angle adapters so they could tell you if the adapters can pass a high bandwidth signal. (They also make great cable products!)

https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store...hdmi-cable.htm

Packing a lot of sound into a small room.
268 square feet/2144 cubic feet
7.2 surround sound.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-14-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by They_call_me_Roto View Post
I would send a question to Blue Jeans Cable to see what they say. They sell the right angle adapters so they could tell you if the adapters can pass a high bandwidth signal. (They also make great cable products!)

https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store...hdmi-cable.htm
BJC will probably tell you that they work because they sell the adapters. Joe speaks from experience. They're cheap so give them a try. You might get lucky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page