chance existing In-Wall HDMI will support 4K? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-16-2017, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 37
chance existing In-Wall HDMI will support 4K?

When I built my theater, I ran a 20' Monoprice (it may have been Blue Jeans, can't remember) In-Wall rated cable from the equipment room to the lobby. Player has been upgraded several times, and is now an Oppo 203. Projector is still 1080p, but HDMI signal has always been fine. Is there any chance that the existing In-Wall HDMI cable would support 4K (think it is 1.3)? It was obviously installed well before 4K 1.4 cable spec. Is there any way to tell from looking at the cable itself? Reason I ask is that we are in the stages of looking to 4K projector upgrade.

Worst case is that the 203 gets moved the equipment room rack, and 4K movies will need to be played from there. We have just gotten used to putting movies in at from the Lobby area.

I don't really like talking about my flair
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-16-2017, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Yes, there's a chance, only way to really know is to try it. I have 35' Monoprice cables in my theater and was surprised to find out they work with 4k. The ones I have are the really thick, stiff ones, bought them about 8 years ago.

Last edited by Steve Smith; 09-16-2017 at 08:00 AM.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-16-2017, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked: 1042
First of all, HDMI 1.3 is a hardware spec, not a cable spec. Technically, any well made high speed HDMI cable will support 4k, but once you get into 4k HDR/UHD whatever, maybe not. 20' is about the max limit for current copper-based HDMI cables for the higher video standards. If the cable is in-wall, hopefully it was installed in a conduit so that changing the cable out, and you will be probably sooner than later, is much easier. A thicker HDMI cable is one way but you lose flexibility and increase the strain on the HDMI inputs if you can't connect straight on. At lengths longer than about 20' for 4k HDR, most people are finding that a fiber optic cable is the best choice. However, a lot depends on the version of HDMI chipsets your devices have because reliably pushing 18Gbps is difficult and once HDMI 2.1 is commercially available in newer devices, the bandwidth is upped to 48Gbps for full compliance and copper just won't cut, at least at this point in time. Hence the use of conduit.

post #4 of 6 Old 09-16-2017, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the replies. Would a 4K repeater help things installed at the output of the Oppo? The in-wall cable is very thick with ferrite at the ends.

post #5 of 6 Old 09-16-2017, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked: 1042
^^^^ ferrite cores don't mean anything unless your cable is very close to an electrical source. Repeaters can work but keep in mind that the more connections you put between source and sink, the more apt you are to have issues, especially with the higher video standards. Besides, you don't know which HDMI chipsets are being used. It's just like using the current active cables. You don't know which version of HDMI chipsets are being used for error correction, timing, etc. It may work, and it may not. If you continue to upgrade your HTS you will be changing HDMI cables at some point in time. With a conduit, you could also run a solid copper core CAT- 6 or 6a cable (not CCS and not a CAT 6 ethernet cable) for future use. Either to extend your ethernet connection so you could hardwire your system or to actively terminate it with something like HDBT once those are available with the current HDMI chipsets.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-16-2017, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks.

I'll give the existing cables a try once 4K projector is in. Unfortunately, conduit isn't going to happen as it's buried in my double drywall, green glue, acoustic panel and fabric walls. I did run HDMI, VGA (lol) , 5X Coax, and Cat5e to this sport prior to putting the walls up. This was just on a whim in case I ever wanted something in the lobby. I have full access to the equipment rack in the equipment room, and there is conduit from the run to the ceiling mounted projector. Worst case, the 203 will be relocated to the equipment rack.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page