Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-25-2017, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Picture blinking to black

Hi All,

I posted a similar question in a different subforum but think this might be the best place to ask it.

To summarize my issue: I have an LG C7P hanging on the wall, which is connected via HDMI to a Wyrestorm EX-40-G2 balun. Balun runs Cat5 cable through the wall, coming out the other end (25-30 foot run) to another balun, which connects via HDMI to a Yamaha RX-A770 receiver. Connected into the receiver are an Xbox One and DirecTV HR44-500.

I have been experiencing periodic picture drop on the TV, particularly when watching DirecTV. Screen goes black for a few seconds (sometimes 1-2 seconds, sometimes 4-5) then image reappears. Audio plays throughout and is never disrupted. This happens more frequently with DirecTV, but also happens occasionally with Xbox One.

So far I've turned off HDMI control on both the TV and receiver, power cycled everything, set DirecTV to a single resolution and turned Native function off. Doesn't seem to have any real impact, and the issue seems to be sporadic - for example I didn't have picture loss issues for a week or so, then they started up again. I've also connected the DirecTV through the Xbox One to see if that would change things, but that didn't help.

When swapping out the video sources to a different, older TV and connecting it directly to the Yamaha receiver via HDMI, no picture loss issues happen and everything seems to work fine.

My suspicion is that the issue is with the HDMI baluns and so I've ordered a RUIpro 33 foot fiber optic HDMI cable and will see if that solves things. If that doesn't work, what else could it be? Everything is updated to the latest software / firmware, too.

Appreciate any feedback you might have, thanks very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-25-2017, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked: 1042
Using a single cable, from source to sink, without any extenders or connectors in-between, is always the best approach. 30' is pushing the limit of reliability for copper based cables if you are sending 4k, 4k HDR. 1080p is probably fine. I would suggest running your cable in-conduit if possible because that will make swapping out/upgrading your cabling needs so much easier because video standards are constantly changing and are becoming very challenging for the cable mfrs to keep up with for runs that are longer than about 20'. Updating software/firmware is fine but if you can't update the HDMI chipsets for both source and sink you may have issues. There is more to a successful cable run that just the data pipe (cable). For 30', the Ruipro cable should work just fine if it's a source to sink connection and you should not have any issues with 4k HDR (probably).

ARC/CEC is also a problem for many and most of us just recommend disabling both on all of your devices. Some device mfrs allow independent control ARC/CEC and some don't. It's either all or nothing. There is no real standardization between the device mfrs for CEC so it works for some, and not for others. I also read somewhere that fiber cables don't support ARC so just file that away in case ARC is important and you have issues with that and the Ruipro cable.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-26-2017, 04:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Simplifying the system and ‘Going Direct’ (Source > Display) vis the Extender is always a good first test.

Ruipro Hybrid Fibre do Support ARC - it’s not something I’ve done too much testing with or had much feedback about from our Customers but it does work with my LG OLED TV.

I prefer to keep CEC disabled on most systems so don’t tend to use ARC very often.

Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

Ruipro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial system Design, Consultancy, Installation, Supply and Integration.

post #4 of 6 Old 09-26-2017, 04:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Blinking to black is usually a symptom of an HDMI cable that isn't able to continuously handle the bandwidth being sent through it, whether it's because the cable is not up to spec (more common with 4K HDR), or beginning to fail.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #5 of 6 Old 09-28-2017, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Update - I connected the RUIPRO cable last night and definitely noticed an immediate difference. Didn't see any blinking on the screen during ~1.5 hours of viewing DirecTV. I also noticed that it seemed like the system overall was a lot more responsive (channel changing was quicker, time from TV turn on to DirecTV showing on screen was quicker, etc.).

Think this may have solved the issue but I'm going to test it over the weekend more extensively before putting the cable into the wall and going through that whole exercise, just in case there's still an issue that could be non-cable related.

Thanks again for your help everyone.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-28-2017, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked: 1042
^^^^ thanks for posting back. Sounds like another one in the win column for Ruipro.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page