Hdmi cec

I have the following connections...

Samsung TV <--hdmi--> Pioneer AVR
Apple TV <--hdmi--> Pioneer AVR
PS3 <--hdmi--> Pioneer AVR
PS4 <--hdmi--> Pioneer AVR
STB <--optical--> Pioneer AVR
Samsung TV <--hdmi--> STB

I have chosen these connections for the STB because it does not support CEC and had to make a different picture calibration. So I am using a different source on the TV. But because of the hdmi edid limitations the only way to send 5.1 audio from STB to AVR is through optical cable.

Now the problem is that when I set the input on AVR for STB (optical) the TV forces switching it to "TV" after 1-2 seconds and keeps doing this every time I click the "STB" input. And I really need the CEC function for the other devices. If anybody could think of any solution I would appreciate that.
Is there any way that Samsung TV could bypass 5.1 sound from the souce to AVR ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-27-2017, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked: 1043
CEC/ARC is a problem for lots of devices due to incompatibilities. Mainly because CEC is not standardized so the mfrs can implement protocols of choice. And sometimes those can change even within the same model line. There are no updates that specifically address the issue. A lot of us just disable ARC/CEC (quite often you can't disable them independently) on all HDMI connected devices and just use an optical cable from the tv to the avr for SmartApps audio (limited to 5.1 just like ARC) and then use a programmable remote like a Harmony for single remote control of the HTS.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-28-2017, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
CEC/ARC is a problem for lots of devices due to incompatibilities. Mainly because CEC is not standardized so the mfrs can implement protocols of choice. And sometimes those can change even within the same model line. There are no updates that specifically address the issue. A lot of us just disable ARC/CEC (quite often you can't disable them independently) on all HDMI connected devices and just use an optical cable from the tv to the avr for SmartApps audio (limited to 5.1 just like ARC) and then use a programmable remote like a Harmony for single remote control of the HTS.

Thanks for your advices. The problem is that I have already used the only one optical input of the pioneer avr for the stb in order to send Dolby digital 5.1 signal
If I could bypass the limitation of the Samsung tv that does not send multichannel audio from other sources would be the best solution. Somewhere I have read something about fake edid that hacking the tv to do exactly that but I don't know if it will work.

post #4 of 11 Old 09-28-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psideras View Post
Thanks for your advices. The problem is that I have already used the only one optical input of the pioneer avr for the stb in order to send Dolby digital 5.1 signal
If I could bypass the limitation of the Samsung tv that does not send multichannel audio from other sources would be the best solution. Somewhere I have read something about fake edid that hacking the tv to do exactly that but I don't know if it will work.

A lot of tv's will not pass anything more than stereo from an externally connected device. Optical being the only 5.1 avenue. Usually this is due to the fact that the tv just doesn't have the audio codecs to handle multi-channel audio from an HDMI input.
psideras likes this.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-29-2017, 02:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Which AVR do you have?

Joe
post #6 of 11 Old 09-29-2017, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post
Which AVR do you have?

Joe

Pioneer vsx-1131

post #7 of 11 Old 09-29-2017, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Not clear what the advantage/disadvantage in terms of PQ (or Control) you have with the STB connected to the TV rather than the AVR.

If you have CEC enabled the TV is always going to try and control the AVR.

Like Otto I’d connect the STB to the AVR via HDMI, disable CEC and use a Programmable remote.

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

Ruipro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial system Design, Consultancy, Installation, Supply and Integration.
post #8 of 11 Old 10-02-2017, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 3503 Post(s)
Liked: 1770
FWIW, current generation Denon and Marantz receivers have a feature (TV Audio Switching) which allows CEC but disables the switching to the TV audio input. Getting a new receiver would be somewhat more expensive than getting a Harmony remote, though.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-13-2017, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Unhappy TV and PRE/PRO turning each other off when HDMI devices are connected together

This CEC stuff is driving me mad!! I have a month old TV 4K Sony 75" 940E, A month old PRE/PRO a NAD T187 with the 4K VM3000 card and a 2 month old OPPO UPD203. I also have a 1080P Comcast box hooked up to one of the inputs on the NAD. After weeks of frustration, I have turned off Sony's 'Bravia Sync' and also turned off the HDMI CEC settings on my NAD as well as turned off the CEC setting on the Oppo player. When turning on the TV with the remote, if the NAD is already on, the NAD turns off!!! Grrrr. Why!!!

Also if turning on the NAD with it's remote, the TV turns off if it was already on. This is frustrating as well as screwing up the HDCP handshaking which leaves me with blank screens every time I try to watch a little TV. These 'patterns' aren't always consistent but consistent enough. Very aggravating. These haunted 'operations' where one device turns off another device when it powers up, continue to happen even with CEC turned off in everything. Haunted House?? Friday the 13th? This weird stuff including 'digital snow' on the TV screen when the TV first powers on intermittently has happened from day one!! Any ideas??

I am considering hooking up the Comcast box with the HDMI cable directly to one of the TV's HDMI inputs instead of hooking up the Comcast box to the NAD. The audio from Comcast will be from the TOSLINK fiber optic FROM the TV back to the NAD. I may do that tonight. That toslink fiber optic cable is already in place and is used when I watch internal Apps built into the TV. (Amazon, Netflix,Etc). It works well. It should give me sound from the TV if I plug the Comcast's HDMI cable directly into the TV.

I may also connect the VIDEO from the OPPO directly into the TV and the AUDIO from the OPPO with another HDMI cable to the NAD. This way, there will be no HDMI cable from the NAD to the TV. All video sources will connect with HDMI directly to the TV and not go 'thru' the PRE/PRO. Seems like a safer way to hook everything up.

It should solve the CEC turning off problem as well as the intermittent digital snow problem. Does this sound prudent to essentially bypass the $2500 NAD PRE/PRO and have no HDMI cables between the NAD and the TV? This could solve the one device turning off another device when it powers up as well as the intermittent digital snow on the TV screen (HDCP handshaking gone wrong?) I have changed HDMI cables numerous times and the problems simply wont go away. I'm convinced it's not the HDMI cables as I am using high quality, low distance cables. The same problems continue after I change out HDMI cables. Grrrrr!!

Any thoughts?? --Greg--

Sony 4K 75" XBR75X940E
Oppo 4K UDP-203 4K Bluray Player
NAD T187 with VM300 4K HDMI card
Rotel 5 channel Amplifier RMB-1095
AC Infinity Aircom Cooling system T9
Movie Collection http://www.invelos.com/DVDCollection.aspx/Greg.Ca
post #10 of 11 Old 10-13-2017, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post
Not clear what the advantage/disadvantage in terms of PQ (or Control) you have with the STB connected to the TV rather than the AVR.

If you have CEC enabled the TV is always going to try and control the AVR.

Like Otto I’d connect the STB to the AVR via HDMI, disable CEC and use a Programmable remote.

Joe

The stb is the only of my devices that does not support cec so with the avr switched off I could not select it from the tv source menu. And the most important reason is that I need to have different picture settings from the other devices.

post #11 of 11 Old 10-13-2017, 04:14 PM

@Greg.Ca - I would disable ARC/CEC entirely from all devices and try a programmable remote like a Harmony. Once properly programmed, you can turn on any of your devices and have the correct input on your tv selected as well. For SmartApps I would use an optical cable from the tv to the receiver for 5.1 audio when presented.
psideras likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page