Component 38 35.51%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 01-13-2007, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone else having problems with the HDMI? Most of the problems I am running into are with sat/cable boxes to the TV and when I run it into an amp them the tv. I also find that component PQ is better most of the time. The only PQ that is better with HDMI it the Pioneer Blu Ray player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-13-2007, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

HDMI was designed as a locked system - therefore, if not unlocked perfectly correctly, it won't work (by design!)

HDMI was devised by Hollywood as a digital signal transfer that could support digital copy protection. That's quite simply the only reason it exists. Remember that the HDMI Licensing Corp. is a FOR PROFIT institution, so they're marketing their connector as the best thing going. I think that's what distorts the opinions of most consumers.

Component just works and delivers the same quality picture, and can do so over longer distances without incompatibility problems - the video is the same. Pick what works consistently.

Trent

I love HD...and I hated that Anti-Consumer format war.

Now that we can move on... Blu-ray > Digital Downloads!
post #3 of 20 Old 01-13-2007, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
[quote=tdavis21484]HDMI was designed as a locked system - therefore, if not unlocked perfectly correctly, it won't work (by design!)

HDMI was devised by Hollywood as a digital signal transfer that could support digital copy protection. That's quite simply the only reason it exists. Remember that the HDMI Licensing Corp. is a FOR PROFIT institution, so they're marketing their connector as the best thing going. I think that's what distorts the opinions of most consumers.

Component just works and delivers the same quality picture, and can do so over longer distances without incompatibility problems - the video is the same. Pick what works consistently.

Trent[/QUOTE

I am sure I am not the only one who feels there is a significant advantage in picture quality with HDMI over component. I would say my personal experience is that it is about 10 or 15 percent better. Regardless of the many compatibility issues, it is the way to go.
Sony gave us a demo of Dolby and DTS hi rez multichannel audio formats at CES. That is worth the effort also.
post #4 of 20 Old 01-13-2007, 11:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

My vote goes for component. HDMI fundamentally added no noticable difference A/V setup or PQ wise. I get HD signals via RG6, component and HDMI. All 3 provide just about the same level of quality of picture. And this is on a set that was ISF calibrated for each specific input.

I believe that HDMI wasn't designed with the users at home in mind. I think it was more designed to deal with piracy and that's about it.
post #5 of 20 Old 01-13-2007, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanneild View Post

HDMI really shines when used for your entire setup (not just video).

HDMI delivers 1080p plus 7.1 channel PCM audio. It's the best way to get TrueHD out of an HD-DVD.

Comparing HDMI to just component doesn't tell the whole story, i think.

Yup.... I voted HDMI for these reasons. I use it for these reasons too.

I support High Definition Content regardless of color!
ISF Calibration is my friend, and should be yours too
Enjoying TrueHD, DTS:MA and LPCM
OAR - What else is there!?
post #6 of 20 Old 01-13-2007, 02:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdavis21484 View Post

Component just works and delivers the same quality picture, and can do so over longer distances without incompatibility problems - the video is the same.Trent

With all due respect, that is incorrect. Component is analog and is a lossy method of transmission. Being analog, there is signal loss at any given distance and that only increases with longer runs.

HDMI is digital and there is no picture quality loss as long as the signal is maintained. HDMI can run over 100 meters without any picture quality loss via repeaters and fiber.

HDMI does not have incompatibility problems. Users need to understand what applications will work where. With that said, component has better ergonomics than HDMI but not a better picture.

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the AVS? Join us here ---> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8&page=1&pp=60 good times! www.illinoiscarry.org www.nra.org
post #7 of 20 Old 01-13-2007, 04:43 PM

I'll jump in here just because I have spent the entire day running HDMI cables about the house... Even at 35ft my HDMI Signal is strong and true. Yes, any longer and it might have a total failure .. but as my set up needed only what I used it is sparkling clear and really just a blast to view true HD through with my 1080i projector. ..
post #8 of 20 Old 01-14-2007, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Complaint - the integrity of the physical connection leaves much to be desired. In this respect DVI had the advantage. I would love screws and or, tighter fitting, more secure connections
post #9 of 20 Old 01-14-2007, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I recently upgraded to HD for my DirecTV service, which included their new H20 STB. When connected to my HDMI compatable display, the picture appears to be slightly sharper than with component. However, the H20 STB seems to have problems (fewer than reported with the older H10 STB) - it exhibits signal (audio & video) drop-outs which are very distracting. Therefore, I'm using the component connections for reliable, quality, audio & video.

IMHO, HDMI (any flavor) only works when the source, cables, and destination (and any intevening boxes) are all fully compatable, and compliant, with the full HDMI specification (1.1, 1.2, or 1.3 as applicable). Not all manufacturers/signal suppliers have gotten their act together yet.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #10 of 20 Old 01-14-2007, 09:08 AM

My problem with HDMI is that DirecTV hasnt fixed its incompatibility with my Samsung tv, and also with Microsoft for not providing HDMI with the 360. When HDMI works, it is great.
post #11 of 20 Old 01-15-2007, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipp Jones View Post

HDMI does not have incompatibility problems. Users need to understand what applications will work where. With that said, component has better ergonomics than HDMI but not a better picture.

Well take it from someone who sells this stuff everyday there are tons of problems HDMI. I have had customers who take HDMI from there Dish box right to there TV and get NO picture or sound. Now to me that is a little problem, I also have had people run HDMI into there AVR and get NO picture, I call that a problem. I have also ran HDMI and Component Video side by side and IMO the PQ of component was better. It seams that HDMI is changing from 1.1 to 1.2 and now 1.3 when will it end. I try to get all of my customer to go with Component and the ones that want HDMI I get it for them but let them know what I have found. I have spent hours dealing with HDMI issues from customers who believe the hype.

Just my 2 cents...
post #12 of 20 Old 01-15-2007, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon View Post

Well take it from someone who sells this stuff everyday there are tons of problems HDMI. I have had customers who take HDMI from there Dish box right to there TV and get NO picture or sound. Now to me that is a little problem, I also have had people run HDMI into there AVR and get NO picture, I call that a problem. I have also ran HDMI and Component Video side by side and IMO the PQ of component was better. It seams that HDMI is changing from 1.1 to 1.2 and now 1.3 when will it end. I try to get all of my customer to go with Component and the ones that want HDMI I get it for them but let them know what I have found. I have spent hours dealing with HDMI issues from customers who believe the hype.

Just my 2 cents...

How true, how true. Enough said. The custom installers are staying far away from HDMI and will so until it is perfected which in my opinion it never will be.
post #13 of 20 Old 01-17-2007, 02:06 PM

Well, for my setup, I found that HDMI clearly delivered a better picture. Just to make sure I wasn't drinking the kool-aid, I asked a few people which picture they prefered and it was unanimous. It's not that component looks bad. Not by any means. HDMI just looked that much better.

Now as far as whether it's ready... What a nightmare. I can't believe they would unleash this on the public. When it works it's great, but god help those that don't research their purchase fully.
post #14 of 20 Old 01-17-2007, 09:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTGOLFER View Post

How true, how true. Enough said. The custom installers are staying far away from HDMI and will so until it is perfected which in my opinion it never will be.

As I already said, many are not using HDMI correctly. Also, many CE companies have not released the proper software for the HDMI to work as design. Yes, as designed. That is not an HDMI issue, it is a support issue from the CE companies.

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the AVS? Join us here ---> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8&page=1&pp=60 good times! www.illinoiscarry.org www.nra.org
post #15 of 20 Old 01-17-2007, 09:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon View Post

I have also ran HDMI and Component Video side by side and IMO the PQ of component was better.

Component is analog and lossy. HDMI is digital and lossless. You may want to run test patterns and post pictures.

Kipp
post #16 of 20 Old 01-17-2007, 11:49 PM
Advanced Member

maybe "upgrading" to HDMI from component is more problematic than just starting from scratch with HDMI?

i just got a 1080p LCD, ordered HD cable with new service provider and they hooked up via component. i tried the HDMI cable i got and the difference was significant enough that my uber novice eyes noticed it immediately. then again, maybe its just the component out on my STB
post #17 of 20 Old 01-18-2007, 11:56 AM

I didn't cast my vote so much for Component as I did against HDMI. I don't think HDMI will ever be "there" until it is dis-associated with digital "rights management", which will never happen.

I won't adopt until I'm dragged kicking and screaming. I'm going to be the old man of Audio/Video, screaming at the kids from Hollywood to get off my lawn of rights.

If I were Wilford Brimley, I'd like oatmeal that much too.
post #18 of 20 Old 01-18-2007, 01:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 601
I'll take HDMI over component any day. I have no desire to ever use component outputs again. I have 16 devices with an HDMi connection and it works very well for me. No loose connections ever.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #19 of 20 Old 01-18-2007, 09:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

aaron,
Great pics of your HT.

Kipp
post #20 of 20 Old 01-19-2007, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipp Jones View Post

As I already said, many are not using HDMI correctly. Also, many CE companies have not released the proper software for the HDMI to work as design. Yes, as designed. That is not an HDMI issue, it is a support issue from the CE companies.

Thank you!!!

HDMI is a system and the cable is just part of that system. The cable could be the best thing in the world and if the tv, dvd player or sat box is not designed to work with each other then HDMI SYSTEM SUCKS!!!! Software or no software a working transfer system is a working transfer system and that is the bottom line. When HDMI get there system together and I can take any sat box and use an HDMI cable to get a pic to any tv that has HDMI, like every other cable out there, then and only then will HDMI be a good choice. You say that "many are not using HDMI correctly" I don't think there are many ways one could use an HDMI cable. I have used them to pull a component video, but that is the only other way you could use it other then from a HDMI out put to an HDMI input. They sent HDMI to market to soon and the consumer is paying the price.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page