Isn't HDMI suppose to have sound? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-13-2007, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys,
I bought a 3 foot HDMI cable from Monoprice, to replace the crappy component cables that Time Warner Cable gave me. I have a Samsung HLS6188W DLP TV. I plugged the HDMI from the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD cable box to one of the HDMI ports behind the TV. I get picture but no sound. Is there something else I am missing? Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-13-2007, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Just a guess since I don't have that box but since you had component hooked up I'm guessing the sound was through an optical connection so you probably need to go into set up & change the audio to HDMI.

"Racing is........Life.......Everything before & after is just waiting"
post #3 of 7 Old 02-13-2007, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

I've been reading and some people have gone into the settings of the cable box and changed the audio out to "HDMI" but I and others dont have that menu in our settings. Not sure what to do.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-14-2007, 06:07 PM

Liked: 11
if he puts the setting on HDMI, wont that cut out his optical? as he would still need that for his HT. but they should work simotaniously

but i know in milwaukee, some of the boxes have the HDMI connection, but dont support it fully. IE: audio or video. seems like every box has/had their own personality. if you dont have the menu option, then maybe you dont have a fully functional box.. not sure..
post #5 of 7 Old 02-27-2007, 10:11 AM

HDMI requires that at minimum, 2 channel audio be available to be sent over HDMI at all times. What the STB does to the optical audio connector when HDMI is used is up to the manufacturer, but there are no reasons or usage licenses that would prohibit this. In general, most sources allow optical audio to still function even when HDMI is sending audio.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-01-2007, 12:35 PM

I had a similar problem with my Samsung HLS6188W DLP TV. The problem was that the TV would not decode the Dolby Digital encoded audio that it received via HDMI. I resolved this by changing an audio setup setting in my DirecTV set-top box to output digital audio in PCM format only (i.e., it would down-convert the multichannel Dolby Digital signal to a 2-channel PCM format).

I found it a little strange that the TV would not decode the incoming Dolby Digital, since it must have a decoder there somewhere as it has an ATSC tuner in it, and a Dolby Digital encoding is standard for that.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-05-2007, 11:06 PM

That does sound a bit odd for the TV. If the TV states in its EDID that it can support Dolby Digital, I would expect this is because it can decode it and present it on its speakers (probably with some kind of SRS or other virtual surround sound algorithm), and/or output Dolby Digital on a SPDIF connector output (because some users actually user their TV as the switching device instead of the AV receiver).
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page