upper screen flicker with hdmi - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-28-2007, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hey guys, ive had an hdmi cable for a while now, and recently i bruohgt over my dads tivo box and just watching al the stuff he has recorded so i gave it back to him yesterday and hooked my box back up (Scientific atlanta 8300HD) its the HD DVR from cablevision, and i forgot about this problem i have with my hdmi,
at the top of the screen like the top couple of pixel lines perhaps the upmost line, there is just a black line with 5 or 6 pixel wide white flickers that come on all the time while im watching tv( it goes away when black color is present on the upper screen).. any ideas?

a driend of mine borught over his ps3 and i used my hdmi to connect it and the picture was superb with out any disturbances what so ever!

also does anyone no a way i can some how backup all my recording digitally because from the looks of it, its my cable box...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-28-2007, 03:23 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 847
Apparently your TV is showing all of the pixels of the image arriving via HDMI instead of hiding some of them under the edge of the screen. This is a good thing, but you need to be aware that some TV stations send non-video data in those lines under the assumption that you will be using a cheaper TV with significant "overscan" -- i.e., loss of the edges of the images beyond the sides of the screen. All sorts of things can be in there. One common thing is instructions from TV networks to the automated equipment in their affiliated local stations -- things to trigger local TV commercials for example.

Some TVs offer a setting which introduces artificial "overscan" to hide such stuff if it annoys you. Other folks just live with it since they want to see the whole image from stations that don't play this game.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #3 of 3 Old 02-28-2007, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

One common thing is instructions from TV networks to the automated equipment in their affiliated local stations -- things to trigger local TV commercials for example.

The biggest use is CLOSED CAPTIONING!

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
" - MLK

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page