DVI to HDMI Video Distortion - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-06-2007, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I posted this in another forum here before noticing this HDMI forum, so I apologize to the powers that be for posting this twice.

I have a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3250HD cable receiver... which does not have an HDMI output on it (I blame Charter for this). It does, however, have component and DVI outputs, as well as some non-HD outputs. My TV, a 26" Panasonic Viera LCD HDTV, has component and HDMI inputs, but only one of each... My component is being used by my X-Box 360, and so I hoped to hook up the HDTV to the HDMI and make use of it.

So I bought a DVI to HDMI cable off of NewEgg, one that received good reviews and was pretty inexpensive ($10 for a 3ft cable if I remember). I hooked it up last night and tuned into the HDMI channel on my TV... and the picture was horrible, distorted shape (like roundish), rough black edges, and all screwed up with inverted colors and so on. So I'm kind of confused and not sure what to do... the HDTV Receiever/cable box's manual gives no instruction for using DVI to HDMI or DVI in general, and so I'm not sure where to turn.

ANy suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-06-2007, 12:50 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 849
The most likely reason for this is that you are sending a video resolution to your TV that it is not able to handle on its HDMI input. Check the user manual for your TV and then check that your cable box is set to send a suitable resolution to your TV.

There's a forum here for HD/DVR cable box questions:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=42

There is a sticky thread at the top of that forum which is specifc to questions about the Scientific Atlanta boxes. You will likely find hints in there about how to set up the DVI output on your box.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #3 of 4 Old 03-06-2007, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Well, just an update. I resecured my cables and tried it and the picture is better, but everything has a blue tinge to it... like... everything is very very blue, almost no other colors... I'll keep trying different things and try to figure it out.
post #4 of 4 Old 03-06-2007, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

THanks Bob, I'll take a look at those things. THe picture is kind of funny, it looks great now except..... it looks like there'a color photoshop filter applied. I'll take a look at that link, thanks!

If it is alright, I'm going to continue to post updates as I discover them myself for people that may have this issue in the future.

[update] I checked the user manual for the TV, and it suggests using a DVI to HDMI cable for devices that only support DVI. Here is a link to the manual: http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/TC26LX50.pdf

See Page 10 for the information on DVI to HDMI connections.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page