Any HDMI wall plates that WORK??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-30-2007, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I had my setup running at 1080i (from a DirecTV HR10-250) on a Panasonic TH-50PF9UK (the new 50" 1920 x 1080p plasma)... today I bought the Denon DVD-3930CI dvd player that can output at 1080p. When I hooked this up, I was getting noise and static in the form of "red noise" on my plasma. It worked fine at 1080i and the DVD player works fine at 1080i.

I had quite the cluster-f*ck of cables & switch boxes going for my HDMI stuff since I'm waiting for the Denon AVR-3808 HDMI switching AVR which will greatly simplify my wiring ...

Anyways... this is what I had originally:

Denon DVD-3930CI -> HDMI switch box (via monster 400 series HDMI cable) -> HDMI "L adapter" (because I had a tight fit) via again, 3 ft monster 400 series HDMI cable. The L adapter was plugged into a decora style HDMI wall plate. The wall plate ran a 6ft monster 400 series HDMI cable up through the wall into another HDMI decora wall plate. This was the wall plate the plasma was plugged into via a generic HDMI -> DVI-D cable (this is the only way to get 1080p into the TV).

I tried debugging this by simplifying it til I found the problem part. The HDMI switch box is now out of the equation. Basically its:

DVD player to wall plate to wall plate to TV

Still I get the red noise static...

Then I tried...

DVD player to TV directly ... NO STATIC...
DVD player to wall plate to TV ... NO STATIC

but when I go through 2 wall plates, I get the static. When I add in the L shaped connector... whammo... tons of static...

I was going for the clean, professional looking install with the wall plates... but obviously red static noise isnt going to work for me...

Is this a problem with the wall plates? I thought they were just mechanical connections, no electronics? Although they are the HDMI wall plates that have the little LEDs in them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-31-2007, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Yes, they are mechanical, but they may not have the highest quality wiring and connectors in them. I got two wall plates from monoprice (without LEDs) but because I'm running a 35' run, I will do without them (just letting the cable hang out of a bulk plate in the wall).

You could try getting an equalizer/repeater and hooking it up between the cable and the second wall plate. That ought to make it work without snow. I e, something like:
DVD -> short cable -> wall plate -> long cable -> equalizer -> wall plate -> short cable cable -> TV

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-31-2007, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
For better connections you might try these--> http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...4107&sku=40866

The connectors look hearty and the system is supposed to be quite professional looking.

My Home Theater Site:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 7 Old 03-31-2007, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwatte View Post

Yes, they are mechanical, but they may not have the highest quality wiring and connectors in them. I got two wall plates from monoprice (without LEDs) but because I'm running a 35' run, I will do without them (just letting the cable hang out of a bulk plate in the wall).

You could try getting an equalizer/repeater and hooking it up between the cable and the second wall plate. That ought to make it work without snow. I e, something like:
DVD -> short cable -> wall plate -> long cable -> equalizer -> wall plate -> short cable cable -> TV

Thanks for the info... I tried replacing the thin generic HDMI to DVI cable with a Monster 400 Series HDMI to DVI cable, but no luck... I didn't really think that was the issue though.

I'm thinking of trying this:

http://www.firefold.com/ProductInfo....=HDMI-WP-1-EXT

Thats got the repeater built in... there is a similar one from Ethereal, but I can't find anyone that actually sells it... That wallplate from firefold with the built in repeater is $72 though , but the higher position of the connector *may* let me get rid of the L shaped connector.

Seems kind of compact to be able to fit an HDMI coupling + a repeater into a single gang box though.

Any comments on something like that?
post #5 of 7 Old 04-02-2007, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, I ordered two new wall plates from impact acoustics. $100 for two of them . No built in repeater. Oh well, these are the pig tail variety with the plug mounted low on the decora insert (assuming it actually looks like the picture, which looks like it has a male pigtail... WTF?!?!) that'll let me do away with the HDMI L connector... if that doesn't work, I'll try the more expensive ones (as if $100 for 2 decora inserts wasnt expensive enough) with the repeaters.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-25-2007, 07:37 AM

Liked: 10
I would be interested in the results of this as well. I'm wiring my basement and am curious if I can get away with the cheap monoprice HDMI wall plates. I think most of my runs should be around 25-35'.
My runs should be HD-DVD/blue ray player ->AVR receiver ->wall plate, -> 25' monoprice or bluejeans cable -> wall plate, -> short monoprice or blue jeans cable ->projector or LCD TV.
I just read that your ethereal plates worked for 1080p. Do you know if there are any cheaper alternatives out there? It seems excessive that you would have to pay $265 for wall plates to be able to wire 1080p HDMI through your walls.

Also, this may not be practical, but I'm not planning on getting a HDTV right away, just doing the wiring now for the future. Is there any good way to test if my wiring will work at 1080P through the wall plates?

Thanks.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-22-2008, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
My current setup is an older mechanical 2 port hdmi wallplate with a 15 foot run of monoprice cable. This worked fine until I introduced a 1080p HDDVD player into the equation. I'm not sure whether the issue is the older cables or the wallplates, but I just received HDMI 1.3a Category 2 Certified CL2 Rated (In-Wall Installation) Cable (24AWG) w/ Net Jacket - 15ft (Gold Plated) and also a pair of the 2 port wall plates from monoprice and they were fine at passing the 1080p signal over the 6 feet from the toshiba A30 HDDVD player to the wallplate, 15 feet between the wallpaltes, and 3 feet of HDMI to DVI from the last wallplate to the Westinghouse 37 inch LCD monitor.

update: It turns out it was the mechanical wallplates that didn't perform at 1080p. The relatively inexpensive monoprice wall plates work at 1080p for me.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page