problem from short HDMI cable? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-03-2007, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have just spent 2 hrs searching this thread and googling without success. I think I remember posts about someone having a HDMI problem with 18" or .5m cables that was fixed by replacing it with a 6ft cable. Does anyone know where this is discussed? Can anyone provide information on this subject?

Help!

"Most people would die sooner than think, in fact they do so."  Bertrand Russell The ABC of Relativity, 1925

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-03-2007, 10:42 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 867
In all the time I've been following this, I've not encountered any suggestion that short HDMI cables might cause problems so long as the HDMI plug is not stressed in either socket (i.e., not partially pulled out or pulled/pushed in some direction other than straight in, perhaps due to the cable not being quite long enough to cover the necessary distance).

That is, there is no electrical or mechanical engineering reason why an 18 inch cable shouldn't work as well or better than a 6 foot cable of similar quality.

Of course if the cable is poorly made then all bets are off.
--Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-04-2007, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It probably has more to do with the specific cable, or cable quality, than the distance.

post #4 of 5 Old 04-05-2007, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
it is possible that a very short HDMI cable might not work, while a longer one would. Here's why:
A significant number of TVs use an HDMI receiver chip that has an equalizer circuit in it. The equalizers are great in that they act as a reverse filter and allow signals that have been attenuated by a long cable to be recovered. The downside is that that equalizer can actually cause the receiver chip to be unable to read the signal if the signal is "too clean" and not attenuation. The better chips have a smart equalizer that will adjust the equalizer setting depending on how much the signal needs it.

It's possible that your TV's HDMI chip has its equalizer at a fixed setting to assume usage of a longer cable (say 6ft or longer), and thus actually has a problem with a shorter one. May sound silly, but the solution really is to use a longer cable.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-05-2007, 03:54 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 867
....learn something new every day....
(grin!)
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page