Black & White picture when using HDMI - Samsung tuner to Sony TV ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-09-2007, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everybody,
I have a problem that I would like some input on trying to solve if anybody knows how to figure it out...

I have the Samsung HDTV tuner set top box model DTB-H260 connected via HDMI to my Sony HDTV model KV-30HS420 (30" HD CRT). Everything looks great for the first 30 minutes or so of watching the signal from the HD tuner, but then the color in the picture goes away (except for a slight red tint to some parts of the picture). This occurs on all channels and even the on screen display from the tuner goes to black & white/gray scale. If the tuner is off for a while and I turn it on, the picture will be in color for a little while (sometimes only 3-5 minutes, sometimes up to 20 or 30 minutes), but it will eventually go to black and white. When I change channels, the color returns for just a second, then fades out again.

This occurs only over HDMI connection to my Sony KV-30HS420 TV. When using the component cables, everything is fine. I've tried different HDMI cables and had the same results with each. This happens when the tuner is set to ANY output resolution, not just 1080i. Sony says that this TV model is HDCP compliant, and it shouldn't be the source of the problem; but that's also what I expected them to say... Samsung told me to return the unit for a replacement unit as they couldn't explain why I was getting these results, so I did replace the tuner with another one of the same model, but I still get the same results. I've tried using a different TV (new Philips plasma) via HDMI and it worked fine with no color loss over the two days I had it hooked up to the Philips.

There have been a few other posts with people having this problem between this Samsung tuner and a couple different Sony HDMI TV's, but none have found a solution other than using component cables. Just wanting input if anybody has any to try to figure this out, another HDMI challenge. Meanwhile, I'll be using my component cables...
Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-28-2008, 01:56 PM

Wow. You just explained the exact experience I had with these two components. I have a feeling it's a "handshake" problem that does not have a simple solution. However, the work around is simple--just use component video.

In my case, I'm using the Samsung tuner for my TV and my projector so I had to use a splitter to send the component video to both displays.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-29-2008, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 328
That's strange. Can you set the STB to use RGB output via HDMI? Also, what happens if you let the STB on and let turn the TV off for a bit after the problem appears?

In order to still see a viewable picture there is no corruption of the HDMI signal. Just seeing black and white could mean only the "Y" (grayscale) of YCbCr component video is being seen. That's why I asked about RGB. Loosing to "components" of RGB would not be watchable. I doubt it's the STB. I think it's in the Sony TV. If it happens in more than one model they could still be using the same video processing components.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #4 of 5 Old 09-12-2008, 07:56 PM

A little late to this thread, but I have similar issues with the Samsung DTB-H260F tuner and my three year old Sony KLV-S32A10 LCD panel that I just relegated to tailgating duty. Good thing I tested everything the night before the first game. The HDMI started in color, quickly faded to B&W in about 20 seconds, and had no sound at all. Using separate component video and audio cables works great. For whatever reason, the Samsung and Sony don't play nice in the HDMI HDTV sandbox!
post #5 of 5 Old 09-28-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkbell View Post

A little late to this thread, but I have similar issues with the Samsung DTB-H260F tuner and my three year old Sony KLV-S32A10 LCD panel that I just relegated to tailgating duty. Good thing I tested everything the night before the first game. The HDMI started in color, quickly faded to B&W in about 20 seconds, and had no sound at all. Using separate component video and audio cables works great. For whatever reason, the Samsung and Sony don't play nice in the HDMI HDTV sandbox!

I have the same problems with my Sony KP-46WT520 46" rear projection set. Audio had to be set to PCM on the Sammy and now works but black and white picture issue is still there with HDMI. The Sammy will probably be going back to the store. By the way, how does component quality compare to HDMI with this box?
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World