Broken HDMI connector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 07-05-2007, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dear board,

I recently broke my HDMI cable which runs through my wall and over my ceiling. To try and fix (or overcome) this problem I switched to the Gefen HDMI CAT-5 Extreme (HDMI over two CAT5 or CAT6 UTP/STP cables). But this solution creates other funny problems.

To make a very long story short: I want to fix my HDMI cable.

I found the HDMI wiring sheme and I also found a HDMI kit which allows me to repair the cable (at least, I hope so).

My question is: has anyone tried this? Is fixing a HDMI cable possible for a consumer? What should I do and what should I not do? If I take the next step I'll definately buy 5 connectors because I know for sure I can't get it right the first time probably.

Also, is there a possibility to damage my equipment if I mess up the HDMI cable and power on my AMP and TV?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Forgive my English, I'm Dutch ;-)

I removed the URL's because of board restrictions. I'll edit my post and re-add them after 5 posts ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-18-2007, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

I'm receiving PM's about this issue as well so I'm not the only one on this planet. HDMI experts, please advice.

Is this a big no-go? What equipment should I use to fix the cable?
post #3 of 20 Old 08-01-2007, 10:49 AM

It highly unlikely you'll damage anything by trying to repair the cable. All signals are low voltage and low current. The only signal to really pay any particular attention to is the 5V DDC signal.

If the only part of the cable that is broken is the physical connector, it may be possible to fix it since this is essentially an elaborate soldering & crimping job. However, if the actual wires within the cable itself are broken or damaged, it will be very difficult to repair as the length of all the twisted pairs must be cut to a very precise tolerance (all of the TMDS pair should be the exact same length, otherwise the skew will cause the data to be misaligned).
post #4 of 20 Old 02-19-2008, 06:38 AM

Could you please let me know the address of an on-line store where I can buy hdmi connectors?
Till now I found HDMI Male Solder Connectors just on Pacific Custom Cable website, at $7.50 but I am afraid about quality.

Thank you,
post #5 of 20 Old 02-16-2009, 12:08 PM

My blue jeans hdmi connector is alMost broken. It only works when it is pushed to one side. I would buy another one but having to rerun a 35ft cable through the walls and ceiling isn't fun. So did anyone get theirs repaired?
post #6 of 20 Old 02-16-2009, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsRt5 View Post

My blue jeans hdmi connector is alMost broken. It only works when it is pushed to one side. I would buy another one but having to rerun a 35ft cable through the walls and ceiling isn't fun. So did anyone get theirs repaired?

You might try adding a short cable extender/saver to the cable such as sold by Monoprice. You may be able to tape them together such that it will provide a reliable connection.

Carl
Curmudgeon Elektroniker
post #7 of 20 Old 02-16-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:

2 other possible options - "hd ez lock" adaptor might work by holding your cable in place. Hard to tell by your description if you mean holding it in the input, etc, but worth looking at.

Also Audioquest announced that they will have field terminating HDMI Cables available in March. I saw one at the CES show and it looks very easy to do. Not sure if it works with only their cables, but if it works with any cables, maybe you can buy the ends to replace. No soldering, but I think you need their special crimper. Might be worth contacting Audioquest and seeing if it will work.
post #8 of 20 Old 02-16-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutschow View Post

You might try adding a short cable extender/saver to the cable such as sold by Monoprice. You may be able to tape them together such that it will provide a reliable connection.

YA I have a monster cable coupler laying around that I might try...Just to free up the tension on the heavy Blue jeans cable...
post #9 of 20 Old 02-16-2009, 03:25 PM

[quote=t@bes;15836408]2 other possible options - "hd ez lock" adaptor might work by holding your cable in place. Hard to tell by your description if you mean holding it in the input, etc, but worth looking at.QUOTE]

I might try this too, thanks for the advice...

And I meant the cable has to have some pressure on it in order for it to work. It just seems loose, the cable is real heavy and I couldnt fit the PIoneer ELite on the bottom rack. So I placed it on the second rack and its about a foot up from where the cable exits the wall. So the tension and weight have made it a loose connection....
post #10 of 20 Old 02-17-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:

YA I have a monster cable coupler laying around that I might try...Just to free up the tension on the heavy Blue jeans cable...

keep in mind also that the problem might be with your HDMI Input also. The inputs can be pretty delicate and it's possible that the stress of the heavy cable may have damaged one of the traces on the circuit board internally.

If that's the case, maybe a port saver (not the short coupler type but the one with the 6" cable) or hd ez lock might help take the stress off of your input.

If it's not too much trouble, you might try the cable on another input and see if it's the cable or the HDMI port.
post #11 of 20 Old 02-17-2009, 06:26 PM

I think I might be one of the only people in the US that has BUILT an HDMI cable... so here goes...

There are retermination kits available online, which generally will accommodate a 26-28AWG wire. However, if you are trying to reterminate a thicker cable, it's not going to work. The reason being the solder cups/joints are far too close to one another to use a larger gage wire, and not have anything ground out.
So, the catch to all this, is that while you can build shorter HDMI cables from a thin cable stock, why wouldn't you just buy a new one? The max length of HDMI you could build with a 26-28AWG cable, would be around 30 feet (if that). So it doesn't really make sense to build a new cable, when you could get a replacement and avoid all the hassle. And trust me, it's a HUGE hassle.

Hope this helps.
post #12 of 20 Old 07-12-2009, 01:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Here's a link to a repair kit if you want to give it a shot;

http://www.pacificcable.com/HDMI-Con...And-Hoods.html

Look at the HDI-19P-KIT for $7.50. Click on the kit for a larger pic.
post #13 of 20 Old 02-16-2010, 08:57 AM

I have a 50' run from my media closet to the TV. I forgot to unplug the cable when taking the (VERY HEAVY) TV down and managed to snag the cable. There is an obvious tear in the jacket about 3' from the connector.

(I was moving the TV to put in the in-wall connector that had just arrived.)

Can (should) this be fixed? I replaced the cable to the main TV, but I'd like a run to my master bedroom and a 40' length would be sufficient for that. I'd have to cut the cable and from what I've read the lengths are very important. How close a tolerance are we talking? Can anyone put on a new end or do you need specialty tools (Beyond a cheap solder pencil and crimpers)?
post #14 of 20 Old 02-16-2010, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS2Dude View Post

I have a 50' run from my media closet to the TV. I forgot to unplug the cable when taking the (VERY HEAVY) TV down and managed to snag the cable. There is an obvious tear in the jacket about 3' from the connector.

Can (should) this be fixed?

If there was no damage to the wires and the cable still works, then I see no reason to replace or repair it. Just wrap the tear with black electrical tape.

Replacing the connector would be a difficult task.

Carl
Curmudgeon Elektroniker
post #15 of 20 Old 04-15-2011, 10:14 AM

Can you use these to repair HDMI ends? I have a in wall 100' cable in need of repair.. I have been told that HDMI cannot be repaired is this true?

http://i.ebayimg.com/06/!BUfuRnQCGk~$(KGrHgoOKj8EjlLmUE61BKNzjv1ryg~~_12.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310311967951"http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310311967951
post #16 of 20 Old 04-15-2011, 11:22 AM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2much4me View Post

Can you use these to repair HDMI ends? I have a in wall 100' cable in need of repair.. I have been told that HDMI cannot be repaired is this true?

http://i.ebayimg.com/06/!BUfuRnQCGk~$(KGrHgoOKj8EjlLmUE61BKNzjv1ryg~~_12.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310311967951"http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310311967951

You might want to read this thread from two weeks ago and then decide if you really want to try this...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1327009
post #17 of 20 Old 04-18-2011, 03:05 PM

Thanks Andy Geeze- I'm running new Cat5s I think
post #18 of 20 Old 04-20-2011, 07:37 AM

[quote=pin2hot;15847903]I think I might be one of the only people in the US that has BUILT an HDMI cable... so here goes...

Myself and my employees have built several hundred hdmi cables over the last eight months so you might not be the only person in the US who has built hdmi.
I did try solder on connectors but finally settled on IDC type which work well and work with 24 and 26 awg cable. The only problem with this type of connector is the tooling cost so they might be a little price prohibitive for one time users. Regardless, if you do attempt a repair, definitely make a drawing of wire location because color codes can vary within brands of hdmi cable. If it is a molded end you will not be able to examine the other end of the cable to get the wiring correct should you misswire it. Soldering the connectors can be tough and not recommended for the novice but it would be cheaper than other methods.
post #19 of 20 Old 01-05-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t@bes View Post

keep in mind also that the problem might be with your HDMI Input also. The inputs can be pretty delicate and it's possible that the stress of the heavy cable may have damaged one of the traces on the circuit board internally.

If that's the case, maybe a port saver (not the short coupler type but the one with the 6" cable) or hd ez lock might help take the stress off of your input.

If it's not too much trouble, you might try the cable on another input and see if it's the cable or the HDMI port.

OH dear, I now have sky+HD and plugged into the other HDMI inpt on the Pioneer AV box (PDPR06XE), which runs into the Pioneer PDP 436XDE . Only... it is grey screen. I tried the cable into the hdmi I was using before, and it's fine.

The system is a bit aged now, one scart input is shot, and it would seem that over the years one hdmi input is shot too.

Can anyone tell me if they can be repaired or what is the best solution, are splitters any good?
post #20 of 20 Old 01-05-2012, 06:14 PM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpedbuddy View Post

OH dear, I now have sky+HD and plugged into the other HDMI inpt on the Pioneer AV box (PDPR06XE), which runs into the Pioneer PDP 436XDE . Only... it is grey screen. I tried the cable into the hdmi I was using before, and it's fine.

The system is a bit aged now, one scart input is shot, and it would seem that over the years one hdmi input is shot too.

Can anyone tell me if they can be repaired or what is the best solution, are splitters any good?

Only repair in this case is to replace the board where the connector lives. Switch should work but without details of what components you are using I can't make any recommendations. Remember lowest common denominator is used by HDMI.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page