Monoprice 2X1 Manual HDMI Switch for A2/PS3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 07-19-2007, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have this switch? I have an A2, PS3, and a D* H20. The H20 goes directly to the plasma via HDMI. Until I bought the PS3, the A2 went directly to the plasma via HDMI. I need another HDMI input. I have read a lot of great reviews of this switch, and some bad reviews sighting decreased picture quality. The runs are 1.5 ft to switch from source and 10 ft to plasma. I have had great luck with monoprice, and I just wanted to ask before I spent $20.

Thanks,

Robert Christian Barger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-20-2007, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I have this switch and it works great with everything I have used with it including the A2 PS3 & everything else I tried. It is on sale today so buy it fast. You should be aware that it is not an electronic switch. With the short runs you have there should be no problems.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-20-2007, 09:03 AM

no problems here either. Comcast HD box and A2 to monoprice then to Sony 32' HD. All 6ft cables.
post #4 of 14 Old 07-20-2007, 03:33 PM

Works great for me with my D2 and Moto 6412.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-20-2007, 06:34 PM

I've got one. The only bad thing is having to get off your butt to switch over. Otherwise it works fine.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-20-2007, 10:29 PM

Liked: 11
I have this switcher and use it to switch between my Toshiba A2 and my DISH VIP622 receiver / DVR.

It works great. There is a lag time of just a couple of seconds when I switch inputs for the new input to show up on the screen.
post #7 of 14 Old 08-04-2007, 12:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I just got one of these switches and immediately modified it (super easy to do!) to make it one input/2 output so I can have my Onkyo 605 feed both my DLP TV and my projector. My projector is ceiling mounted and is on a 35' HDMI cable. This switcher is amazing. Unpowered it will still send a flawless picture 35' away. Best $25 bucks I ever spent.

"Life is a toy, play with it"
post #8 of 14 Old 08-09-2007, 04:59 PM

how did you modify it?
post #9 of 14 Old 08-10-2007, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiigone View Post

how did you modify it?

I found this on google

There were two prior reviewers disagreeing about using this as a reverse switch one input, two outputs. As delivered it will not work if the receiving devices expect the HDMI +5V voltage, because there are internal diodes that block in the reverse direction. You can short these or solder them in backwards and the switch will work fine in reverse, but use at your own risk. If you make this mod, do not use the switch in the non-reverse mode. Other than the diodes the switch is completely passive.

AND THIS

This is to confirm Pendragon''s claim that anyone can easily modify it to work in reverse as an OUTPUT switch, e.g. to switch output between 2 tvs or tv & projector. I''ve been using it this way for a few months without a problem. To perform the mod simply remove the back cover and short the 2 resistors by taking a U-shaped wire (e.g. paper-clip) and wedging the ends underneath each wire protruding from the resistor. Do this for both resistors. It''s very easy. If you''re not careful the resistors may crack (as did mine) but that doesn''t matter since you''re just replacing them with a wire anyway. Of course only 1 output is active at at a time (i.e. its an output switch, not a splitter). Good luck!
post #10 of 14 Old 08-19-2007, 07:25 PM

I'm trying to do something like this...and it may be sneaky and heretical, but nevertheless....

...sometimes I like to watch cable (or a DVD) late at night using my LCD display's built-in speakers, without firing up the whole HT system.

I'd love to be able to SPLIT the HDMI outs of BOTH my PS3 and SA8300HD STB into two....

...so that ONE split HDMI line from each runs into my HDMI switching Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver (which will feed HDMI #1 on my LCD, for when I want to fire everything up)....

...and THEN run the OTHER line from the STB into HDMI #2 on the LCD....

...and run the OTHER line from the PS3 into HDMI #3 on the LCD.

That way, I can get what I want...I can fire up the system and watch whatever I want on HDMI #1, or watch TV-speaker cable on HDMI #1 or TV-speaker PS3/DVD on HDMI #3.

However, I keep seeing that passive splitters (like the Monoprice 2522) aren't reliable and have HDCP handshake issues, and also how the Monoprice 2786 2x1 switch can be modified to be a reliable 1x2 switch (except that it's manual, which kinda defeats my automation scheme).

Does anyone know of any type of low-cost passive HDMI splitter that will reliably do what I'm looking to do?

Thanks....
post #11 of 14 Old 08-20-2007, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 70
MSloane, for most users all Monoprice switches work great. That is not to say that some users will have issues. We see them often on the fourm since Monoprice has sold so many switches and we see only the problems. I would suggest that you try their new 4x1 switch. It works great for me and others have had few problems. The codes are up for the Harmony remote for this switch.
post #12 of 14 Old 08-20-2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

MSloane, for most users all Monoprice switches work great. That is not to say that some users will have issues. We see them often on the fourm since Monoprice has sold so many switches and we see only the problems. I would suggest that you try their new 4x1 switch. It works great for me and others have had few problems. The codes are up for the Harmony remote for this switch.

Thanks, rwestly...I know my message was a bit dense and a lot to read and all, and I wasn't teeing off on Monoprice's quality in the least....

...but see, the thing is, I don't need a switch, I need a splitter.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks....
post #13 of 14 Old 02-01-2013, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I'm resurrecting this old thread to report that I bought one of the Monoprice manual 2-way HDMI switchers -- their part number 2786 -- to direct our computer's single HDMI output to one-or-the other of two displays. To do this, I had to do the modification mentioned above -- to circumvent the two diodes with, in my case, a very short length of copper wire.

The computer's HDMI output is now plugged into the box's single "output" socket and the two HDMI cables to the two displays are plugged into the box's "input" HDMI sockets.

This one-or-the-other manual switch works great! To direct the HDMI signal to one or the other displays, I merely push the appropriate button on the switch. The video card instantly senses the new display and resets its output to the last settings used for that display. After a total time of maybe four seconds, the new display displays our computer's desktop. Fantastic!
post #14 of 14 Old 06-30-2014, 08:41 PM

Liked: 0
Which did you do? Mine isn't working :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerCowboy View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by Hawaiigone

how did you modify it?

I found this on google

There were two prior reviewers disagreeing about using this as a reverse switch one input, two outputs. As delivered it will not work if the receiving devices expect the HDMI +5V voltage, because there are internal diodes that block in the reverse direction. You can short these or solder them in backwards and the switch will work fine in reverse, but use at your own risk. If you make this mod, do not use the switch in the non-reverse mode. Other than the diodes the switch is completely passive.

AND THIS

This is to confirm Pendragon''s claim that anyone can easily modify it to work in reverse as an OUTPUT switch, e.g. to switch output between 2 tvs or tv & projector. I''ve been using it this way for a few months without a problem. To perform the mod simply remove the back cover and short the 2 resistors by taking a U-shaped wire (e.g. paper-clip) and wedging the ends underneath each wire protruding from the resistor. Do this for both resistors. It''s very easy. If you''re not careful the resistors may crack (as did mine) but that doesn''t matter since you''re just replacing them with a wire anyway. Of course only 1 output is active at at a time (i.e. its an output switch, not a splitter). Good luck!

Which did you do? Nothing's appearing on either of my screens. I un-soldered and flipped both diodes and re-soldered them in reverse, but it's not working. I have my computer plugged into the input and my lcd monitor and hdtv plugged into the outputs (all 6ft HDMIs). The lights come on (which they should, as it's working in reverse), but nothing appears on the screens. I've tried with a couple different cable combinations, and even with a different tv, but nothing's working. Now, I reversed the diodes marked D2 and D3, but the lights are also technically diodes, as far as I understand, so I'd like to know what you reversed/bypassed, the flat diodes or the lights. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Picture is attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	diodes.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	143234  
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World