post #61 of 180 Old 01-30-2008, 06:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Television: Sony KDL-46XBR4
Cable Provider: Comcast
CableBox: Motorola DCH3416
FirmWare Revision: Unknown (recently purchased 2 weeks ago).
I reside in Valley Forge, Pennsylvania

Issue: The television and cable box are connected via an HDMI cable.The television is not recongnizing the motorola cablebox (neither sound nor picture). On the television's sony XMB home menu, under HDMI settings: each HDMI inputs have been assigned the proper output devices, respectively. In this case HDMI 3 is set to CableBox. While HDMI 1 is set to DVD.

I've tried multiple channels (mainly channels in proximity of channel 3) on the television and none work. My cable box is set to 480p. I cannot make any configuration using the CableBox's menu button since the television only displays a green screen.
My DVD player works fine with my TV. Its only with the CableBox that my TV has difficulty synchronizing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 180 Old 01-30-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebulus06 View Post

Television: Sony KDL-46XBR4
Cable Provider: Comcast
CableBox: Motorola DCH3416
FirmWare Revision: Unknown (recently purchased 2 weeks ago).
I reside in Valley Forge, Pennsylvania

Issue: The television and cable box are connected via an HDMI cable.The television is not recongnizing the motorola cablebox (neither sound nor picture). On the television's sony XMB home menu, under HDMI settings: each HDMI inputs have been assigned the proper output devices, respectively. In this case HDMI 3 is set to CableBox. While HDMI 1 is set to DVD.

I've tried multiple channels (mainly channels in proximity of channel 3) on the television and none work. My cable box is set to 480p. I cannot make any configuration using the CableBox's menu button since the television only displays a green screen.
My DVD player works fine with my TV. Its only with the CableBox that my TV has difficulty synchronizing.

Not your fault. COMPLAIN to them ASAP. Time Warner has same firmware problems with HDMI.....just read my posts. Everyone seems to have these type of problems.
Good Luck,
Walt
post #63 of 180 Old 01-30-2008, 09:24 AM

Tried using dvi to hdmi cable from Comcast DCT-5100 to Acer PH530.
Got hdcp errors (the pj is hdcp). I know it wasn't the cable as I was able to use it from my pc to my pj. Anyway after fiddling for a few hours I said Uncle.

What I did: Sold my dvi to hdmi cable and plugged in my component cables and away I went.
post #64 of 180 Old 01-30-2008, 10:14 AM

I'm also currently using component cables that came with my Motorola DCH3416, courtesy of comcast. But I'm unsatisfied with the picture quality.
post #65 of 180 Old 01-30-2008, 10:51 AM

Try better component cables from monoprice. I swapped out my standard issue ones from comcast and am very happy.

or you can try the hdmi shuffle! shut this down, before that, but after this...
post #66 of 180 Old 01-30-2008, 02:27 PM

A 3 ring circus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This HDMI B.S. is really getting out of hand.
Looks like Comcast and my Time Warner have a bunch of baffoons or circus clowns they call programmers.

Cable Televsion really has a black eye on this one.

Sorry to here all these horror stories.

Walt
post #67 of 180 Old 02-15-2008, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I just last week got my new Sci Atl DVR Cable box, I wanted to hook up everything through a Monoprice 4x1 powered HDMI box.

Couldn't get any sound.

I am going to check the cable box settings as suggested elsewhere and see if changing the audio output setting will fix the problem.
post #68 of 180 Old 02-15-2008, 01:08 PM

Get things to work without the hdmi switch first. That way you eliminate that as a problem.

Then, drink 5 red bull and vodka's and get ready to do the hdmi shuffle.

Good luck
post #69 of 180 Old 02-16-2008, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBostn View Post

Get things to work without the hdmi switch first. That way you eliminate that as a problem.

Then, drink 5 red bull and vodka's and get ready to do the hdmi shuffle.

Good luck

Thanks for the laugh!

That's about the size of it, I can ajust see! I am just recovering from minor surgery and have realized that clambering around on and behind cabinets and so forth is just going to have to wait a few weeks.

But yes I will do exactly that!
post #70 of 180 Old 03-01-2008, 10:57 AM

sony kdl46xbr4
d* hr21
RV series Yamaha av receiver

All connected via HDMI. Audio and video get out of sync on HD broadcasts. Sony blames d*. D* blames Sony. Then I call the 2nd time and they recommend upgrading my receiver to one with an adjustable audio delay. HDMI sucks.
post #71 of 180 Old 03-05-2008, 06:37 PM

I posted in a another thread about my travails with TWC, but they told me my cable must be bad because I told them my box wasn't working. I can only get a hand full of channels.

The lady said they'd don't trouble shoot HDMI so I had to hook up components and "I guarantee you it will work fine since it's showing as working perfect in our system". "You just have a bad HDMI cord". Ah....it worked fine until Sunday night.......it's fine lady!

I called BS, told her to send a tech - which she wouldn't do until I agree to try components. I hung up before I cussed her out.

So just for the heck of it, I used components and voila!?! NOthing changed. And of course, I can't get TWC back on the phone "due to extremely high call volumes your wait will be until you die".

HD DVR the SA 8300 HDC something another.....

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Just suck it up and use component? But I still need a new box...but maybe the new box will resolve the issue even with HDMI?
post #72 of 180 Old 03-23-2008, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingMissile97 View Post

1. STB is Samsung SMT-H3050. Receiver is Marantz SR-7001. TV is Sharp Aquos LC-46D82U.
2. Time Warner Cable, New York City
3. Don't know how to determine the firmware version, though I did reboot the STB this afternoon.
4. Location is New York (Manhattan), NY
5. STB to TV works fine. STB to receiver to TV causes an authentication failure message followed by a blue screen. Audio does pass through, though the sound level is rather low.

Hello,
Is this the new Time Warner HD DVR box. How does it compare to the Scientific Atlanta Box?
post #73 of 180 Old 04-03-2008, 10:16 AM

STB: Samsung SMT-H3050 (firmware V1.7.9)
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR705B
HDTV: Panasonic TH-50PX600U
Cable provider: Time Warner Cable

I just configured an Onkyo TX-SR705B receiver with a Samsung SMT-H3050 STB issued by Time Warner, both brand new.

If STB is connected directly to my HDTV via HDMI, it works fine.
If STB is connected through the receiver to the HDTV not using HDMI (e.g. via S-video), also OK.
If STB is connected through the receiver with HDMI, I get error 007 from the STB, "STB failed to authenticate with HDTV. Use component connection".

Well, I don't WANT to use a component connection. I want to use the HDMI connection which was provided.

Called Time Warner ("We supply the box to use with a TV. If you want to go through a receiver, it's not our problem."), and Onkyo ("STB is not an Onkyo product, so an issue encountered hooking it to our receiver is not our problem."). Contacting Samsung may be a problem for me since they sell the boxes to Time Warner, not me, and I don't see the model even listed on the Samsung web site.

A classic case of finger pointing, and the real culprit, Samsung, is insulated by their arrangement with Time Warner.

Based on some of the other posts, looks like this has been an ongoing problem for years. Guess I am the new kid on this block.
post #74 of 180 Old 04-04-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzdocxx View Post

I just last week got my new Sci Atl DVR Cable box, I wanted to hook up everything through a Monoprice 4x1 powered HDMI box.

Couldn't get any sound.

I am going to check the cable box settings as suggested elsewhere and see if changing the audio output setting will fix the problem.

I'm having the exact same problem. I tried switching the Audio Out on the cable box to Dolby Digital, and it still doesn't work.

I get sound when I hook up the DVD player to the splitter, so I don't think it's the splitter.

I get sound when I hook up the cable box to the TV using HDMI, so I don't think it's the cable box.

I just don't get sound when I hook the cable box up to the splitter.

Any suggestions/ideas/thoughts??
post #75 of 180 Old 04-08-2008, 03:18 AM

Hi,
When I change channels, the signal will dropout, and "No Signal" shows up on the receiver. This most consistently happens when switching between conventional channels as well as Hi Def channels.
I also will occasionally get picture with no sound. This happens unpredictably.
Sometimes, everything works normally.
HD cable box: Motorola DCH-6416
Cable provider: Charter
Firmware: ?
Thank You!
John Hibbitts
post #76 of 180 Old 04-29-2008, 08:02 PM

- STB: Sci Atl #4240HDC to Sony TV #KDL-52XBR4
- Cox Cable (HD)
(Firmware: don't know)
- Tucson, AZ

HDMI connection worked fine for months, then audio became intermittent a few weeks ago. Tried using new HDMI cable, and tried different HDMI ports on TV, but no better. Switching to component connection & cable, with separate audio cable, works fine.
post #77 of 180 Old 05-06-2008, 10:20 PM

Television: Toshiba Regazza 40RF35OU
Cable Box: Samsung SMT-H3050

Setup works fine with componant cables. When hooking up HDMI and rebooting it will go through this

Box says b101
Then p197

TV says Loading v1.7.9

Box says OCAP
Then says "A" followed by something like an i and almost a lowercase b

Box says APP
TV DOes Mystro COuntdown
TV then says OOB head end installed ISP ready

Time is correct
shuts down when complete

I turn on. box..
Box says HdSr
Then 1080

Then picture and sound comes on TV for a split second
Then TV says no video signal

AT this point you cannot do anything with cable box. Doesnt change stations or anything

Time Warner said HDMI cable..I tried two diffeent ones Same issue.
post #78 of 180 Old 05-11-2008, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am using an Onkyo 605 receiver to which I plugged an LG BH200 HD/BD player and an Oppo 980 SD DVD player. The receiver is connected to one of my Panasonic AX200 projector's two HDMI inputs and has had no problems sending output from these two sources to it.

My HTPC and cable box HDMI outputs go to an Oppo switcher which sends its output to the PJ's other HDMI input. I did this because the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD cable box will absolutely refuse to work with the Onkyo, so I plugged its coax digital audio on the receiver and sent the HDMI picture to the projector through the switcher. The computer outputs video though my video card's DVI jack, so I use a DVI to HDMI converter to send the picture to the pj and plugged the on board audio to the receiver's optical port. I tested everything before running the HDMI wires in PVC pipes going through my **concrete** roof. Everythig worked for three days straight!

The two HDMI cables going to the pj are 25 ft long and connect to an HDMI wall plate with two 6' HDMI cables between it and the receiver and switcher respectively. The switcher connection worked right away for the first three days after the final install. Then it got very unpredictable (needing lots of restarting) and then... nada, zilch, no way!!!

I gave up last week! I have tried each source with and without the switcher and have switched around all wires and inputs. Nothing from the computer or cable box with or without the switcher or wall plate. This thing works sometimes and sometimes it conks out!! This is really frustrating!!

Anyone had any luck using HDMI repeaters???
post #79 of 180 Old 05-18-2008, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Television: Sharp LC 42D64U
Cable Provider: Time Warner
CableBox: SA 8300 HDC
FirmWare Revision: Unknown
Located in Tonawanda, NY

My STB is connected directly to the TV via HDMI. The setup worked beautifully and without issue for approx 2 months. Now all of a sudden the signal seems to encounter a blip and the program I am watching will start to blink on/off like a friggin yellow traffic light. If I change the channel from HD to the analog channel of the same and then back to HD/digital the blinking will stop. This happens randomly but seems to be increasing in frequency. I decided to switch back to component cables of which I never had a problem and the same crap has started with component. Booting the box has not help to clear or eliminate the issue..... I know its not my TV or this would happen on ALL channels and not just HD/digital channels.

Denon AVR X1000

Klipsch RF-62 II 

Klipsch RC-62 II

Klipsch RB-61 II

SVS PB-2000

SVS PB-1000

LG 47LE5400

Samsung Blue-ray BD-P3600

Logitech Harmony Smart Control

Panamax M5100-PM

post #80 of 180 Old 05-20-2008, 07:27 PM

Television: Samsung LN46A650 w/ latest 2001.3 firmware
FirmWare Revision: Navigator ver. 2.4.9_3
Located in San Diego, CA

My STB is connected directly to the TV via HDMI. The setup works beautifully except for one issue. Whenever I shut the TV off or change sources, the STB defaults to 480, even though I set the output resolution to display 1080i only. When I called TWC, they said that they do not support HDMI connections with this version of their software, but that there may be an update coming this summer. They only support component cable connections. They also do not support the USB, Firewire or eSATA ports on the box either, so this is not surprising, but to insist on component connections when both the box and the TV were designed for HDMI is absolutely idiotic, IMHO.

Every time I change sources, such as to the Playstation or VCR, I have to go back into the STB settings and re-enable 1080i or I cannot view HD on the TV. There is no way to "Fix" the output resolution on 1080i if you use an HDMI cable connection. Worse yet, if I forget to do it and try to use the program guide, it shrinks the picture to the upper righthand corner and when you exit the guide it stays there, with 3/4 of your screen blank!

TT
post #81 of 180 Old 05-20-2008, 09:02 PM

ttweed,

I have the same box, different provider, different tv... and get the same results. After talking to a bunch of folks, I've narrowed it down to the hardware or the software (some OCAP java thing).

I'm using components now as well. I'm pretty sure I despise the SA 8300HDC, but I don't know if I can blame them. Nobody has adequately defined the standard, so they do what everyone else does... make their own.
post #82 of 180 Old 06-10-2008, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

- Make/model of all devices in the chain (ex. STB, AV receiver, TV)
Sci Atl 8300 HD-DVR, Integra 7.8, Yamaha DPX830 projector

- Name of the cable/satellite provider: Cablevision (IO TV)
- Firmware revision on the set top box: Unsure
- Your geographic region (i.e. your city & state): Port Washington, NY
- Description of the issue, any information of specific symptoms & behavior: Was working fine for 3 months, then the 1st symptom: loss of signal; the fix: unplug/plug back hdmi from AVR. This was happening for about 1-2 weeks. 2nd sympton: audio drop outs... started last week.
Tried new cables; 24awg in lieu of 28awg, not a fix.
Tried inserting oppo switcher(booster?) in line, not a fix.

Got a new cable box yesterday, same problem at start up, then worked fine rest of night.
post #83 of 180 Old 06-19-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttweed View Post

Television: Samsung LN46A650 w/ latest 2001.3 firmware
FirmWare Revision: Navigator ver. 2.4.9_3
Located in San Diego, CA

My STB is connected directly to the TV via HDMI. The setup works beautifully except for one issue. Whenever I shut the TV off or change sources, the STB defaults to 480, even though I set the output resolution to display 1080i only. When I called TWC, they said that they do not support HDMI connections with this version of their software, but that there may be an update coming this summer. They only support component cable connections. They also do not support the USB, Firewire or eSATA ports on the box either, so this is not surprising, but to insist on component connections when both the box and the TV were designed for HDMI is absolutely idiotic, IMHO.

Every time I change sources, such as to the Playstation or VCR, I have to go back into the STB settings and re-enable 1080i or I cannot view HD on the TV. There is no way to "Fix" the output resolution on 1080i if you use an HDMI cable connection. Worse yet, if I forget to do it and try to use the program guide, it shrinks the picture to the upper righthand corner and when you exit the guide it stays there, with 3/4 of your screen blank!

TT

Same thing here in Queens, NY with my scientific atlanta hd/dvr box and time warner. I am sick of talking to techs that tell me that "some shows aren't in 1080i you know so change the channel." No sh*t idiot! I am sick of re-selecting 1080i every time I switch or turn of the box.

I also get red screens, green screens, and white screens randomly with pic but no sound and then have to re-boot to get it all to work again. I re-boot 5 times a day. I have changed boxes three times now. Each box seems to have it's own quirks.
post #84 of 180 Old 06-23-2008, 05:45 PM

I have the following:

PS3
Scientific Atlanta 8300HD (Time Warner)
Onkyo TX-SR805 (refurb)
Panasonic CT-34WX54J

The HDMI out to the TV works for my PS3/Blu ray player. Sound is great and so is the picture. But when I try to watch cable, I get a flickering picture and sound (see attached picture). The picture seems to roll over itself from right to left. I called Onkyo support & they told me this was a compatibility issue. However I've read other people here that have the SA 8300HD and TX-SR805 and it works.

What can I try? Is it the TV? It's old but I won't upgrade for a year or two. Is there anyway I can upgrade the firmware on the cable box myself?

Anyone's help is greatly appreciated. I want to try some things before I end up selling it.

Erik
LL
post #85 of 180 Old 07-17-2008, 05:11 PM

Hi guys, I just wanted to report myself as one more unsatisfied and fraudulent customer.
We all know the excitement of getting this hi-tech equipment in our homes.
Too many of us paying off monthly because is NOT cheap.
Than we seat down, connect everything and damn stuff doesn't work because some idiotic company(TIME WARNER, in my case)doesn't even bother with the fact that they are behind!!
Since I have their service I needed to take day off for 5 times until finally someone showed up who knew what to do to get my picture as it should be.
Now I bought a $700 AV receiver with 3 HDMI inputs to connect it with component cable out of cable box that has HDMI OUT,WHAT!!
Why?Because I am getting only sound, no picture whatsoever.
Or to connect it with optical for audio and HDMI to TV, why do I have AV receiver than?
Why is everything OK when I connect my blue ray through receiver with HDMI.
And all of that I have to pay $100 every month!!!
Los Angeles is suing Time Warner over there, guess why, how long before it finally happens in New York and other parts of country.
post #86 of 180 Old 07-28-2008, 09:27 AM

Looks like I'm in line with the rest of the crew. H.D.M.I. should stand for Hopelessly Doing Manual Intervention.

My setup:

PS3
DishNetwork VIP 622 HD DVR
Panny 58" 750U 1080p Plasma TV (family room)
Panny 42" 850U 1080p Plasma TV (bedroom)
Sony Receiver (STE615)
2 Monoprice 1X2 splitters
1 Monoprice 1X4 switcher

At first, I hooked up my PS3 and my VIP 622 directly to my 58" Panny via HDMI and got perfect pictures from both. The sound was delivered to my Sony Receiver via optical in both cases.

But now that we purchased the bedroom plasma, we wanted HD an picture up there from either the HD DVR or the PS3. So along comes the 2 splitters and switcher (all powered). Strange thing is the PS3's picture is split and then switched to the upstairs TV perfectly (75" HDMI 22AWG cable with HDMI booster on the end). However, I can't even get a solid picture to show up from my HD DVR....on EITHER TV. The switcher is not the issue...the issue is either the STB or the TV in conjunction with the splitter. The splitters and switcher are all rated for 1080p and HDMI 1.3. The splitter won't even work when there's only one output instead of two. I tried power cycling everything in different orders, swapping splitters, reversing HDMI cables, using different HDMI cables...nothing seems to work.

Bottom line is that the VIP 622 will not work with my TVs when passing the signal thru the powered HDMI splitter. There are some settings on the STB I haven't fully farted around with yet. That's my next step. There's something in the HDTV Setup menu that could be wrong (what's IRC, HRC, cable, etc??).

"In life, the only risk we run, is not taking one."
post #87 of 180 Old 08-12-2008, 11:31 AM

Make/model of all devices in the chain (ex. STB, AV receiver, TV)

STB: Sci Atlanta 8300HDC w/ DVR
AVR: Denon AVR-788
TV: Samsung LN-T4661F

Name of the cable/satellite provider: CABLEVISION

Firmware revision on the set top box: Unknown

Your geographic region (i.e. your city & state): Northern NJ

Description of the issue, any information of specific symptoms & behavior: Since I hooked up my AVR I've experienced video drops of a few seconds during normal viewing (not when switching channels or doing anything). In most cases, the video comes back, less than 10% of the time I have to totally shut down my components and bring everything back up. This has been happening around once for every hour of viewing.

Thanks for any solutions you can offer!!!
post #88 of 180 Old 08-12-2008, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmell View Post

STB: Sci Atlanta 8300HDC w/ DVR
AVR: Denon AVR-788
TV: Samsung LN-T4661F

Thanks for any solutions you can offer!!!

My SA8300 simply refuses to communicate with my Onkyo receiver. So I ran a second HDMI cable from the cable box to my projector (which has 2 HDMI inputs) while the Onkyo sends its inputs to the projector's other HDMI jack. Fortunately, the SA8300 outputs audio through its coaxial and optical SPDIF ports simultaneously with the HDMI. So you can run an SPDIF line from it to your Denon receiver, while plugging its HDMI output directly into your TV set (which has 2 HDMI inputs). You can get 6ft. HDMI cables for peanuts at Monoprice.

You may also need to call your cable company for reactivation of your box once everything is re-installed.

This worked for me. Good luck!
post #89 of 180 Old 08-13-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrowland View Post

Same thing here in Queens, NY with my scientific atlanta hd/dvr box and time warner. I am sick of talking to techs that tell me that "some shows aren't in 1080i you know so change the channel." No sh*t idiot! I am sick of re-selecting 1080i every time I switch or turn of the box.

I also get red screens, green screens, and white screens randomly with pic but no sound and then have to re-boot to get it all to work again. I re-boot 5 times a day. I have changed boxes three times now. Each box seems to have it's own quirks.

I have the same problem with a 7-series Samsung: LN46A750 and the SA 8300 HDC STB directly connected via HDMI. I had this same box with a Philips and it worked fine (except I had to ditch that TV due to some LCD problems), but now when I change source or turn off the TV, I have to reset the box and choose 1080i again. Is there any fix for this?
post #90 of 180 Old 08-17-2008, 10:20 AM

Tv is Samsung: LN40A550 Cable box is from CV model#4250HD (SA). Both are connected via HDMI cable. If I tape a program from the cable box to a Sony VCR with the HDMI cable connected I get the fol message: "Copy protection DVI/HDMI signal blocked." Or:"DVI alert, your HDTV does not support HDCP Please use component connection to watch tv". The Samsung tv is a 2008 model and supports HDCP.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page