AVS Forum banner

HDMI issues with cable or satellite receivers

151K views 179 replies 145 participants last post by  jpbelloh 
#1 ·
We are actively working with STB makers and cable companies to resolve HDMI related interoperability issues, and have had some significant success (we believe that we have identified fixes for many of the STB models currently on the market). However, we continue to see posts about cable & satellite set top boxes that have issues when using HDMI (such as not supporting an AV receiver, picture blanks out periodically, no audio, etc). In many cases, the interoperability problem can be fixed by a simple firmware fix (a number of service providers distributed this fix this spring, as part of their efforts to accommodate the shift in daylight savings time (from April to March). We would like to analyze any currently outstanding problems, and determine, among other things, those cable and satellite systems where this fix has not been distributed. So, we'd like to ask that the community post data that we can use to track this issue and to identify where we may have work left to do.

If you have a cable or satellite set top box where HDMI does not currently function properly, please post the following information to this thread:

- Make/model of all devices in the chain (ex. STB, AV receiver, TV)

- Name of the cable/satellite provider

- Firmware revision on the set top box

- Your geographic region (i.e. your city & state)

- Description of the issue, any information of specific symptoms & behavior

See less See more
#127 ·
I just replaced my Loewe Aconda and Yamaha receiver which were operating on component with a Samsung 950 and a Denon 2809 operating on HDMI. The cable from the D* box to the receiver is an 8 foot Blue Jeans Series-F2 28 AWG, but the cable from the receiver to the TV is an old, thin 8 foot GOK brand of unknown origin. The picture is fine, the sound is fine, and the closed captioning is fine, but I cannot change the size of the captions or the background of the captions (translucent to opaque). Any thoughts on this? Might replacing the GOK cable with a Blue Jeans cable help?

#128 ·
ok, this gets weirder for me.

I was having problems with my old HD DVR box from time warrner (the big silver oens), so today they brought me one of the new ones. (Samsung SMT-H3090)

so they hook it up and i get the HDCP error. He uses one of his HDMI cables and it works fine. no error.

ok, so i think maybe i should have spent more than 15 bucks on a HDMI cabe, BUT if i switch ports on my receiver (onkyo 7.1) from the default cable input to the dvd input it works with my HDMI cable. my blu-ray player works fine in both as does my HTPC with a HDCP video card. so go figure.

I think the firmware in that particular cable receiver needs work. If anything has HDCP it is blu-ray. so for that to work fine and the cable box not to i think it has to be the receiver. (glad im dumping time warner in the VERY near future. my city now has its own fiber network that is cheaper
)

#129 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Nephilim1 /forum/post/14701532

Hi All,

1. Motorola DHC 3416 STB, Acer PH530 Proj.

2. Comcast.

3. Firmware 18.34

4. Swedesboro, New Jersey

5. Marantz SR4001 Reciever 1.1 HDMI

Hi All, I had posted in this thread some time back.. I had recently went back to comcast and got the 3416 box and it still uses the same FW that is used back then of my OP 9/20-08

I had hooked up the HDMI and it still does NOT work. Is there any tricks I can try??

#130 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlyjdw /forum/post/16742909

ok, this gets weirder for me.

I was having problems with my old HD DVR box from time warrner (the big silver oens), so today they brought me one of the new ones. (Samsung SMT-H3090)

so they hook it up and i get the HDCP error. He uses one of his HDMI cables and it works fine. no error.

ok, so i think maybe i should have spent more than 15 bucks on a HDMI cabe, BUT if i switch ports on my receiver (onkyo 7.1) from the default cable input to the dvd input it works with my HDMI cable. my blu-ray player works fine in both as does my HTPC with a HDCP video card. so go figure.

I think the firmware in that particular cable receiver needs work. If anything has HDCP it is blu-ray. so for that to work fine and the cable box not to i think it has to be the receiver. (glad im dumping time warner in the VERY near future. my city now has its own fiber network that is cheaper
)

I had the same issue and moving HDMI out to DVD is the only way it works. Unfortunately the only way I can get surround sound from my HTPC is going into the Onkyo DVD port as well.

Something is up with Onkyo apparently...

#131 ·
Hello Everyone,

Try this tutorial I wrote. This fixed my issue.

Materials Required:

- Shaw Cable STB (Any Models)

- OEM Shaw Remote that came with the STB

- Monitor that is having an issue such as green, purple, lines, or lagging phenomenon.

Step 1: Power off the STB (Set top box/Cable Box). Keep monitor powered on.
Step 2: Go up to the Box and Press “Menu”. Then a white screen should display with “User Settings” as titled.
Step 3: Please see picture, you should see something similar.

Step 4: Go to the option “4:3 Override”.
Step 5: Change the setting from anything what the default was.

For example: If the setting was “4:3 Override 480i” Change it to “4:3 Override 480p”

There are 4 settings in this category

NOTE:
480i – Will set the output of the box to 480i format when NOT tuned to an designated HD channel
480p – Will set the output of the box to 480p format when NOT tuned to an designated HD channel*
Stretched – Will set the picture mode to stretched mode 480p.

OFF – Will set the output of the box to whatever format was selected in the Y/Pb/Pr Output section.*

*Some may experience this issue - If you set the 480 override to “480p” or “OFF” & view the output of the box on any of the analog outputs (S-video, Composite, RF) The on-screen functions (Guide, Menu, etc.) will NOT be displayed. These will ONLY be displayed on the component outputs. You may also have to adjust your picture setting to have everything fit.

Step 6: Once the setting in 4:3 Overrides is set, power off the box via remote or manually.
Step 7: Now, power on the cable box as usual and resume watching TV.
Step 8: Verify if the problem has been corrected by switching from HD to SD, such as Channels (209 for HD) to Channel 35 (Discovery Channel) then vice versa.

Thanks,

Steven

Southland Crossing TV LTD

#132 ·
OK OK I need some Tech Help. I had emailed Motorola and they say since well here is a snippet of the email:

"I looked up the manual for your PH530 projector and it appears it supports HDMI 1.0. The DCH3416 supports HDMI 2.0. Unfortunately, these devices need to have matching HDMI versions in order to function properly. This appears to be the source of your video issues."

Now is this true?? I would like to know but I would think these HDMI would be Backwards compatible??

#133 ·
never mind ALL HDMI IS backwards compatible these guys are not very knowledgable..

#134 ·
STB: Motorola QIP 7216 DVR

TV: Panasonic TH-58-PZ800U plasma

AVR: Onkyo SR-606

Provider: Verizon, FIOS (7/30/09)

Firmware version: ? (latest FIOS HD DVR)

Arlington, Virginia

Similar to other problems here: when the STB is connected via HDMI through the AVR it produces a blue screen with audio (no messages). The STB with HDMI connected direct to plasma produces HD video much better than with Comcast. (However, I had no problem with Comcast's SA8300HD STB). Troubleshooting: Motorola wouldn't talk to me and referred me to Verizon; Onkyo says it's not their problem; Verizon finally admits it's an HDMI incompatibility problem and says they MAY have a firmware update by the end of the year! I've just ordered 2 component video cables and we'll see how good the HD video looks when I get them. Thanks for your help.

#135 ·
TV: Sony KDL-40V5100 (8/4/2009 firmware)

AV Receiver: Sony STR-DG820

STB: Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HDC

Cable provider: Time Warner Cable, Rochester, NY

Current Configuration:

STB =>HDMI \\

================> AV Receiver =>HDMI=> TV

DVD =>HDMI /

I get lots of blinking/dropout of audio/video. I've tried updating the TV's firmware twice (it got worse this last rev)

When I watch from a DVD recorder (HDMI) going thru the same receiver, I haven't seen the blinking occur.

Now, I'm trying to bypass the receiver for Cable viewing, but obviously this isn't what I want to do forever.

I've tried messing with the various HDMI and audio options on the receiver, to no avail.

It could be the ports for the SAT on the receiver, but I doubt that. I'll try DVD to be sure.

All this leads me to believe that the problem is with the 8300HDC or the cable service. And possibly something with the receiver in the middle. But since it can serve up content from my HDMI DVD player fine, I doubt the receiver is completely to blame.

I do have a Time Warner signal booster (amp?) for the coax cable line. I've had this for 2 years now.

#136 ·
STB: Samsung SMT-H3090 (OS ver 2.4.9.2)

A/V Receiver: Onkyo TX SR706

Display: Toshiba 52RV535U

Provider: Bright House Networks - Tampa

Tried to run HDMI from STB into receiver then HDMI out to display but when the STB boots I receive the error message that HDCP Authorization Failed, HDMI Port Disabled. If I connect from the STB directly to the display there are no error messages and HDMI connection works fine. Best guess is that the STB firmware does not recognize the HDCP repeater (Onkyo) as a valid device. Will try to swap box for an SA to see what happens.

#138 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper&ginger /forum/post/12721936

HDMI cable problem with STB

STB : Comcast Motorola DCH 3416

Receiver Onkyo HT- SR 800

TV Panasonic TH- 42PZ700U

- Name of the cable/satellite provider: Comcast

- Firmware revision on the set top box: 18.34

- Your geographic region (i.e. your city & state): Oak Ridge, TN

- Description of the issue, any information of specific symptoms & behavior:

I have recently tried to connect a Comcast Motorola DCH 3416 DVR to my Onkyo HT-SR800 Home Theater and then to a Panasonic TH-42PZ700U HDTV. The Comcast DVR is connected to the Onkyo with a HDMI cable and the HDMI out from the Onkyo goes to the Panasonic TV HDMI input. Audio connections are with a Optical digital cable connecting the DVR to the Onkyo.

Everything works fine till I shut off all the components. I then get a error code on the Comcast DVR which looks like a flashing dVI or dU1 code. After a while the Comcast DVR freezes and will not work till the box has been unplugged and the power is off for a minute and then repower the system. This problem keeps repeating itself.

I have tried various HDMI cables and changed the power cord, the power strip, the wall to Comcast coaxial cable. The DVR boxes have been changed three time and am on my 4th DVR. The Comcast tech support has worked for several hours with no avail.

Where is the problem? I was told that this may be an HDCP error between the Motorola and the ONKYO. Can anyone share some light or does anyone have a similar problem? Would appreciate any experts comment and advise.

The only thing that works is that you connect the HDMI cable from the STB directly to the HDTV input
Wow. I have basically the exact same problem -- except with a Dish DVR 722k (and previously, with a 622). So this tells me it's a serious problem with the Onkyo. But try to prove that to them and get some resolution. Dish has been very nice replacing 622 and 722 units and sent out technicians to verify that it was not a problem with the satellite cables or my house power wiring, etc. Unfortunately, they never figured out this Onkyo issue -- I ended up figuring it out myself. On the positive side for Dish, they did indeed fix some satellite cable problems that had caused other DVR problems.

(I have a Pioneer PDP-4304 rather than a Panasonic, but that doesn't seem to me to be a factor.)

#139 ·
There is going to be new issues about certain A/V Receivers with HDMI connects with certain Cable boxes HDMI connects.- HD TV. The cable boxes moved into the DVD recorder buisness. For some it may serve well to go cable hdmi to the tv directly depending on your receiver even if it has hdmi connects. Then there are otherss where a component from cable box to rec to tv give a better picture quality. The cable boxes are doing well & will get even better bells & whistles for HT networking-wireless and on into the PC. There are secrets the cable companies are keeping to theirselves for now. It will be upto the A/V makers to keep up. I have a Pace TDC-775D and do know some people who work with these units for companies I won't mention right now. More to come later.

#141 ·
Make/model of all devices in the chain (ex. STB, AV receiver, TV)

Direct TV HD DVR HR21/700 Rcvr.

Onkyo TX-NR5007

Samsung PN63B590

X-Box 360 Elite

Play-station 3

All connected with new HDMI 1.3c certified cable thru the Onkyo Rcvr. One cable to TV.

- Name of the cable/satellite provider

Direct TV

- Firmware revision on the set top box

Original-0x18a

Current-0x34c

- Your geographic region (i.e. your city & state)

Bradenton, FL 34212

- Description of the issue, any information of specific symptoms & behavior

All problems are when using the Direct TV DVR. Constant Audio dropouts. Random during program and random during program to commercial breaks when audio format changes. The later does not bother me as much as Audio dropouts in the middle of program material.

No Signal issues. Suspect HDMI handshake problems.

No problems when the X-box or PS3 are the selected source.

#142 ·
This set and a replacement set have the same issue with three different HDMI sources: a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD PVR, a Xbox 260 Elite and a Sony Playstation 3. The audio drops out briefly approximately once every ten minutes. The dropout is very short, just long enough to mute a single word. I have read two other reports of the same issue with this TV. The HDMI cable length may be a factor. When I switched to a shorter cable (from 12 feet to 3) the frequency of the dropouts reduced to approximately once every twenty minutes but since they are so intermittent this may just be a coincidence. The problem seems to occur more frequenly from the SA8300HD but has been heard on all three sources. The manufacturer is trying to reproduce the fault but so far has been unable to. I am working with them to get to the bottom of this irritating problem.

#143 ·
I cannot get HDMI to work from my Verizon FiOS Motorola QIP6416-2 box to my Toshiba 40RV52U HD tv. The set top box used to work on earlier releases of the software (1.6x). It is now running release 1.7 with build# 09.82. I live in the Los Angeles area. To get the TV to work, I had to use component video cable.

#145 ·
STB SA8300HDC

Samsung HL61A750A1FX

Sony STR-DE 897

After TW Cable in Columbia, SC changed their software to "Mystro", the optical audio output defalts to HDMI any time the STB or the TV is powered up. This gives stereo PCM on the optical output. Had to remove the HDMI cable from the STB to the TV and use component cables. After that change the STB would output Dolby Digital on the optical output on power up.

#146 ·
Bell Express Vu 9242 PVR

HDX-401E HDMI Switch

Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 720

Previously I had my Bell 9242 PVR connected to my projector via a high quality 50ft HDMI cable. worked well for ~1 year. recently I bought a PS3 to serve as a blu-ray player, and this too works well through my long HDMI cable.

Since the projector only has one HDMI input, I bought a MonoProce HDX-401E HDMI switch...now that I have it, the PS3 works well through it, but the 9242 PVR does not. It seems if the PVR signal goes through the switch, the projector cannot "lock onto" the signal.

I tried changing the output format from the 9242, to 1080i, 720p, 480p, 4x3, 19x9 etc. etc...no effect. If I connect the PVR directly, all works well again.

Any ideas? Do I just need to return the HDX-401E, and try a different brand?

Thanks for any help.

Steve

#147 ·
Recently experienced HDMI issue when watching PPV movies in 1080p on DirectTV, HR20-100s DVR. Error states movie can not be watched using HDMI and suggest changing to Component. I did and it worked, BUT that's not the point and now i'm experiencing the issue all all HDMI devices connected directly or via a 4-port HDMI hub.

DirectTV does not allow watching a 1080p PPV movie using HDMI.

AppleTV, same thing.

Sony Playstation 3, same thing.

btw, i have to power off/on my Samsung we retunring to regular DirectTV programming in HD due to the error. Once done, i can watch HDtv using HDMI.

Any suggestions or known fixes to this stupid copyright issue which is preventing me from watching movies using HDMI inputs?

#148 ·
Sat Provider: DirecTV

Box: H20-100

Firmware: 0x4138

TV: Pioneer KRP-600M

HDMI/Audio switchbox: Zektor MAS7.1

Region: San Benito, TX

The H20 has been hooked up directly the tv for the better part of a year & it just stopped working. Called Directv and got it replaced with a second H20. Second H20 did not work from day 1 either.

I have a Panasonic BD-55 and Toshiba HD-A1 hooked up via HDMI to the Zektor. Zektor outputs to the tv with no issues. Hooking up the H20 to the Zektor or directly to the tv will not work - "no signal".

Currently I am using the H20 via component cables as I do not want to hassle with Directv again right now. I have read of many issues with these receivers for the past 3 years or so.

Any hope?

Ed G.

#149 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazemir /forum/post/17925001

Bell Express Vu 9242 PVR

HDX-401E HDMI Switch

Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 720

Previously I had my Bell 9242 PVR connected to my projector via a high quality 50ft HDMI cable. worked well for ~1 year. recently I bought a PS3 to serve as a blu-ray player, and this too works well through my long HDMI cable.

Since the projector only has one HDMI input, I bought a MonoProce HDX-401E HDMI switch...now that I have it, the PS3 works well through it, but the 9242 PVR does not. It seems if the PVR signal goes through the switch, the projector cannot "lock onto" the signal.

I tried changing the output format from the 9242, to 1080i, 720p, 480p, 4x3, 19x9 etc. etc...no effect. If I connect the PVR directly, all works well again.

Any ideas? Do I just need to return the HDX-401E, and try a different brand?

Thanks for any help.

Steve

An update...

My Bell 9242 and the Monoprice HDX-401E...

The Monoprice HDX-401E would not work with my Bell 9242 PVR...I talked to Monoprice technical support (and actually got someone who knew what they were talking about!!), and turns out the 401 has some compatability problems. They suggested I get the HDX-501. I returned the 401, gor the 501, and everything works as it should! I recommend the 501 HDMI switch, as it has much fewer issues, higher rating, and is only ~$4 more than the 401.

Steve

#150 ·
I have Scientific Atlanta HD8300 DVR, Panasonic 42g15 plasma set, Sony HT CT100 soundbar system.

When DVR is connected to subwoofer by HDMI, it works at first, then suddenly the picture and audio flash, cutting in and out, while the display on the SW flashes from SAT (cable input) to 5.1 ch. and back again. Turning the system on and off does not help, changing the TV channel does not help.

#151 ·
Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD, Sony Receiver STR-DG710, Panasonic Plasma TV TH-50PZ850U, HDMI from DVR to receiver to TV. Signal (picture and sound) periodically drop for a second or 2. Sony Claims it is DVR box. Cablevision doesn't agree or disagree, but tells me I have to use component video connections fron DVR to receiver. Nobody will take ownership of the problem and either find me a solution or tell me that they are aware of it and are working on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.