HDMI issues with cable or satellite receivers - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 180 Old 04-09-2010, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD, Sony Receiver STR-DG710, Panasonic Plasma TV TH-50PZ850U, HDMI from DVR to receiver to TV. Signal (picture and sound) periodically drop for a second or 2. Sony Claims it is DVR box. Cablevision doesn't agree or disagree, but tells me I have to use component video connections fron DVR to receiver. Nobody will take ownership of the problem and either find me a solution or tell me that they are aware of it and are working on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 180 Old 04-12-2010, 01:17 PM

Samsung LED 40" TV series 6000, Dishnetwork Solo DVR612 sat/box, Yamaha RX-V665 amp, Samsung BluRay BD-P1600 and Sony DVD.

Everything works EXCEPT the Solo DVR612 HDMI video will not work (it will flach intermittently) when passed thru the Yamaha amp's HDMI ports. The BluRay and DVD work perfectly.

Colin
post #153 of 180 Old 04-14-2010, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Motorola DCT 6412III to Yamaha HTR 6090 to Viewsonic Pro 8100 Projector, all HDMI connections. No audio with projector plugged into receiver.
post #154 of 180 Old 04-18-2010, 01:47 PM

Television-Vizio VF552XVT 55"
STB=Direct TV HR22/100 HDDVR
Direct TV Software=0x3a8
Region=Las Vegas, NV
HDMI communication problem. When switching channels to different format (ie: 480i to 1080i, etc) the picture has a pink tint or loss of audio or blue screen, etc.
I can resolve this issue if I connect using component instead of HDMI. I can also resolve the issue if I connect to a non-Vizio television.
I have replaced HDMI cable, swapped television for same new one, and replaced DVR box for same new.
Direct has been out to see the issue and do not have a resolution. I have spoken with Vizio and they want me to send pictures to them, which I will do.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve
post #155 of 180 Old 05-25-2010, 10:07 AM

Help! I'm probably in the wrong thread, but here goes. I have a Sharp LC-52D92U HD TV. I have a DIRECTV HD DVR receiver. When I try to watch a PPV movie in 1080p, I get the error message, "An incompatible device was found." Can anyone tell me if the tv I have supports 1080p/24 format, or does it support 1080p/60 format? I'm told I need it to support 1080p/24. Sending out in space to see if anyone can hear me!? Thanks!
post #156 of 180 Old 05-27-2010, 11:43 AM

I wonder if you could help me, my TV Matsui M22DVDB9 doesn't have HDMI signal, though it had it before. My son has new PS3 , cause he changed his old one thinking the problem was in it and new HDMI cable, which he changed as well, but they say the problem is in TV. Could you , please help. The TV is 6 months old. Thank you in advance. G
post #157 of 180 Old 06-14-2010, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
A neighbor had recently upgraded his cable box from HD (Non-DVR) to HD (with DVR). He is on Comcast in Houston area. TV- Sony KDL50-XBR2 LCD, AVR - Denon 4306CI, Comcast DVR - Cisco RNG500. Everything works for 6-8 minutes, then picture drops out - sound through receiver OK. If I power DVR on and off, no change. Switch inputs or go to Standby on Denon, then back on and back to Cable input - no change. If I switch input on TV to Ant, then back to HDMI - I get a message on the TV from the Cisco DVR indicating that the TV is not HDCP compliant, and a picture of the DVR back panel stating that I should not use HDMI, use component instead.

John Dixon
post #158 of 180 Old 07-07-2010, 10:27 PM

I have an Infocus ceiling projector with DVI but not HDMI input.

When I connect it to the HDMI output of my new Onkyo receiver using a DVR to HDMI connector I get no video. I have to use component cable to get video.

I thought DVI was HDMI without audio. Is there some sort of converter available?
post #159 of 180 Old 07-29-2010, 09:08 PM

My TV is a Sony KDS-R60XBR1 and we just received a brand new Motorola DCX3400-M cable box. We still have the same issues as with the old Motorola 6416III and Pace box.

Black screen within 5 seconds using HDMI.

Has Sony not come out with a TV firmware update yet? This issue is years old!!
post #160 of 180 Old 11-22-2010, 03:27 PM

I finally purchased the A/V reciever I wanted with Networking. My Denon AVR 4308 has 2 HDMI ins & 4 HDMI outs. My Cable box with built in DVR has 1 HDMI output, however I can't use the HDMI output from cable box to input on my reciever because it blacks out any premium channels I subscribed to. Like everyone else nobody takes blame. Cable installers say use component cables & I say Bull Shi+!. It's a crock buying good equipment and sorry a$$ excuses for not being able to make the best connections with the least cables. It's been a while since I last logged on about this problem. I have gotten a little info on this and was told that it has to do with a secure connection or integrity between the HDMI cable only with premium channels. By secure connection I am talking about a trust worthy connection between the two components. The cable Company has no firmware update for this matter. I do have 2 HDMI inputs on HDTV. Playing Blu-Ray or HD DVDs is not a problem
post #161 of 180 Old 12-27-2010, 11:30 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by routabout View Post

I finally purchased the A/V reciever I wanted with Networking. My Denon AVR 4308 has 2 HDMI ins & 4 HDMI outs. My Cable box with built in DVR has 1 HDMI output, however I can't use the HDMI output from cable box to input on my reciever because it blacks out any premium channels I subscribed to. Like everyone else nobody takes blame. Cable installers say use component cables & I say Bull Shi+!. It's a crock buying good equipment and sorry a$$ excuses for not being able to make the best connections with the least cables. It's been a while since I last logged on about this problem. I have gotten a little info on this and was told that it has to do with a secure connection or integrity between the HDMI cable only with premium channels. By secure connection I am talking about a trust worthy connection between the two components. The cable Company has no firmware update for this matter. I do have 2 HDMI inputs on HDTV. Playing Blu-Ray or HD DVDs is not a problem

It's a clusterf!@#. I cannot tell you how much time/money I spent spec'ing out a video switching system via an A/V receiver, running all the wiring...only to find out that the cable box wants to ONLY support an HDMI connection directly to the display. Wha?! are you effin kidding me?

The other killer (if you are doing video switching via the display) is the fact that some display's don't pass through the digital audio via the toslink out from HDMI sources.

You're screwed either way.
post #162 of 180 Old 01-21-2011, 04:23 PM

Took me three Boxes to finally get one that talks to my Pana 50G25, HDTV, w/o freezing up. Confirmed the problem is with HDMI, as Component connection works fine. Dish's response-"we know and we're working on it", and solution- keep shipping replacements until one works.

Zalophus
post #163 of 180 Old 02-19-2011, 10:02 AM

I just posted this in another thread (not allowed to post links) but I am having awful handshake issues with my setup:

Quote:

I have a Westinghouse Digital LVM-42W2 42" LCD monitor that has one HDMI input that supports HDCP (and has previously worked fine in the past). I also have a Sony STR-K995 surround sound receiver which also supports HDCP over its 2 HDMI inputs and 1 output. In the past it has worked fine with a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 HD cable box DVR, Tivo HD DVR and the original Apple TV using HDMI with the receiver acting as a switcher for the TV. I no longer use these 3 devices.

More recently I have been having terrible issues with newer components, particularly the Tivo Premiere (which I've since returned), Samsung SMT-H3272 HD DVR and the new Apple TV (particularly bad since the 4.1.1 software update). The problem is that when I attempt to watch TV the picture blinks on and off every few seconds repeatedly. It usually does not stop doing this and I have to turn on and off each component in different sequences in order to get things to work properly.

It seems as if the Sony receiver is slowing down the HDCP handshake between the cable box and the Westinghouse TV to the point that the cable box doesn't trust the TV, which sets off a vicious cycle of attempting to renegotiate the handshake repeatedly leaving me with the inability to watch anything. From some research it appears that the boxes support a newer version of HDCP while the receiver and TV (both from 2007) do not. If anyone ever needed proof that HDCP (and all DRM for that matter) is anti-consumer and punishes paying customers, this is a great example.

post #164 of 180 Old 02-21-2011, 12:07 PM

DISPLAY: JVC RS50
CONNECTION: ProFlex 40' Directional 1.4a HDMI
AVR/PROCESSOR: Integra DTR-80.2
SOURCE: DirecTV HR24-500

PROBLEM: Loss of Video (audio always remains) after changing channels or changing sources.
If the DirecTV box is connected directly to the Projector then no issues.
post #165 of 180 Old 02-21-2011, 01:56 PM

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetav View Post

DISPLAY: JVC RS50
CONNECTION: ProFlex 40' Directional 1.4a HDMI
AVR/PROCESSOR: Integra DTR-80.2
SOURCE: DirecTV HR24-500

PROBLEM: Loss of Video (audio always remains) after changing channels or changing sources.
If the DirecTV box is connected directly to the Projector then no issues.

No one really reads these stickys anymore since the HDMI Org doesn't seem to participate.
Take a look at the dates on the previous appends - about one a month.

Try a separate topic in this forum.

I have your setup except for the Integra. Works perfectly except for ESPN 3D of course. So the problem is with the Onkyo but we can talk that in a thread.
post #166 of 180 Old 02-21-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

No one really reads these stickys anymore since the HDMI Org doesn't seem to participate.
Take a look at the dates on the previous appends - about one a month.

Try a separate topic in this forum.

I have your setup except for the Integra. Works perfectly except for ESPN 3D of course. So the problem is with the Onkyo but we can talk that in a thread.

Ok - thanks - i started a new thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post20041980

Along with inquiry in 3 other threads
post #167 of 180 Old 03-17-2011, 12:39 PM

I 've been around the run around w/ my cable provider w/ issues of signal lose while watching tv or DVD's. 8-10 time an hour there's a signal lose, both A/V, for abuot a 1-2 seconds. I call the CP and I'm told there's a strong signal coming from outside to TV, NO problems they say.

All components (BD & Cable box) pass thru a STR-DH510 AVR out to TV. Everything is connected w/ hdmi. I'm now by-passing the AVR and all seems find, but now the audio starts chopping, then it's gone. I have to change the channel on cable box then back to retrieve the audio.

I'm at wits end on what to do. I've sent off the avr for warranty repair. Sony claims it may be a poor HDMI board??? But since then I finding out that it may be the HDMI's causing the problems. Should I troubleshoot by connecting component cables? I'm going to do that tonite anyway.

I think the idea behind HDMI's are great, but are they the problem?
post #168 of 180 Old 05-26-2011, 03:03 PM

I have a 42" Panasonic TX-P42VT20B TV and a Panasonic Blu-Ray Disc Home Theatre Sound System (SC-BTT755). When I switch from HDMI1 (TV) to HDMI2 (Blu-Ray) it works fine. However when I move back the other way to HDMI1 there is no picture or sound. If I disconnect then reconnect the HDMI cable it connects fine. Any idea what I need to do? Thanks. Jon Stockport, Cheshire, UK
post #169 of 180 Old 05-26-2011, 04:04 PM

Jon, might try a new post / subject line in the regular HDMI section. Most of the time these "stickies" don't get checked since they were apparently started by the HDMI Org, who no longer visits.

If you start a new subject line you'll get more attention than just leaving your append here. I think the previous append for this thread was in March 2011 and it didn't seem to get answered.

Also, in the new thread, please explain what your inputs and outputs are. I know the TV is obviously an output (sink device) but I'm trying to figure out what you are switching from and to. In other words is the Blu-Ray the source? If so why do you need to switch?
post #170 of 180 Old 06-16-2011, 12:05 PM

Hello all,, i hope there is someone out there that might be able to help me..
here's my story,, about 1 month ago, i bought all new HT equip from Crutchfield; Samsung PN59800D Plasma, Yamaha Rx A2000 3D reciever, Yamaha BD A1000 BluRay, a number of HDMI 1.4 cables.
i have been using Comcast as my cable provider for many years..
well after i hooked everything up..All components into the Yamaha rcvr, then 1 HDMI cable to the Samsung, everytime i turn off the system/TV, i lose the aspect ratio settings in the comcast box!!
i get into the user menu of the comcast box, and set to 16:9/ 1080 and for the 4:3 settings i set to 480P.. after these settings are "STORED" in the box, whenever i watch HD channels OR STD DEF channels, the picture on the the tv is "FULL" screen,, but whenever i turn off the tv,and turn it back on, i notice this: when i'm watching the HD channels,, everything is fine, but when i go to watch a std def channel, those damn black bars are back!! UGGHHH!!
so i check the cable box, and sure enough the settings have changed to the following:
16:9/ 780 and the 4:3 is now "off".
now some of the trouble shooting i have done are these:
direct hook the comcast box to the tv.. result: comcast box keeps the stored settings.
trieds a Marantz sr6005, with the same hookup,ie, everything into th marantz and 1 hdmi cable to the tv,,, result: same as with the yamaha!! WTF??!!!
now i don't want to use component video because i do sometimes buy 3D movies with comcast, and i don't really want to keep the comcast box as a direct hookup to the tv, because i cannot view my "onscreen" features from the yamaha on the tv..
what i am hoping is someone might have a reason for this and a solution..
i spent nearly $6 grand on this stuff a month ago, and although it sounds great and the 3D features are awesome, i am quite disappointed in how things are communicating..
thanks for the taking the time to listen to my problem and i hope i luckily have some A/V genious stumble upon this and give my some hope!!

from what other techs say,, in particular marantz tech support.. comcast/motorola needs a HDMI REPEATER FIRMWATE UPDATE..
post #171 of 180 Old 01-02-2012, 08:51 PM

Pioneer Elite VSX-32 Receiver
Scientific Atlanta 4240 HDC Cable Box (Cox Cable-San Diego, CA.)
Samsung Series 7 750 LN52750R1F HDMI 1.3

Video Problem with HDMI interface. When changing channels in the HD programming, the screen goes black for about 30 seconds and then finally displays in HD. Sometimes it flickers in and out from a black screen to picture. Audio remains constant via HDMI cable connection only.

Changing the receiver did not seem to make a difference.
Running the HDMI connection directly from the cable box to the tv is fine (by-passing receiver resolves problem with video).

This seems to be a problem with the Pioneer VSX receiver having poor HDMI signal transduction pass-through, but pioneer has no fix. So much for an "Elite" descriptor.
post #172 of 180 Old 01-02-2012, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
More likely the cable box...
post #173 of 180 Old 01-03-2012, 02:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Without something like a Quantum Data HT-180 HDMI Handshake tester there is no way to say for sure where the problem is and bypassing the AVR is no sign that all is fine with the Cable box or Sink (Display).

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #174 of 180 Old 01-03-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huesero View Post

Pioneer Elite VSX-32 Receiver
Scientific Atlanta 4240 HDC Cable Box (Cox Cable-San Diego, CA.)
Samsung Series 7 750 LN52750R1F HDMI 1.3

Video Problem with HDMI interface. When changing channels in the HD programming, the screen goes black for about 30 seconds and then finally displays in HD. Sometimes it flickers in and out from a black screen to picture. Audio remains constant via HDMI cable connection only.

Changing the receiver did not seem to make a difference.
Running the HDMI connection directly from the cable box to the tv is fine (by-passing receiver resolves problem with video).

This seems to be a problem with the Pioneer VSX receiver having poor HDMI signal transduction pass-through, but pioneer has no fix. So much for an "Elite" descriptor.

Have to agree - more likely the cable box not being able to complete the handshake. Maybe when Cox cable gets a newer version of the cable box (or at least a difference version of the cable box) then you might have more luck. Unfortunately, I can't think of a single thing you can do in the meantime, other than make sure the cable box and the receiver firmware are both up-to-date.
post #175 of 180 Old 01-03-2012, 05:36 PM

[quote=ccotenj;12601278]to set the "audio: digital out" option on your sa8300hdc:

press the "menu" key on your remote twice
scroll until you see "audio: digital out"
hit the right arrow key
scroll to "hdmi"
hit the left arrow key
hit exit

QUOTE]

This worked for me! My TV from one night to the other my tv stopped playing sound. It was the Settings button though.
post #176 of 180 Old 06-03-2012, 11:38 AM

Hey everyone, I guess this thread is as good of place as any for my problem.

Here's a list of my hardware:
- TV - Toshiba DLP 46HMX85
- HDDVD - Toshiba HDA3KC
- Bluray - Samsung BD-5100/zc
- XBox 360 Elite (2008-09-01)
- receiver - Sony STR-DN1020
- Sat box - Motorola DSR 505HD (Telus/Bell)

I've had the TV since December when a friend was discarding it for a blown lamp. Replaced the lamp but it seems the ballast is going (does the coded light blink, tries to start up fails, tries again etc.) Knowing it's on the way out I plan on upgrading it soon.

I had the HDDVD player going through HDMI input on back on TV with no issues, and the XBox was component cables. Audio all went through my old Pioneer receiver.

This Christmas my wife bought me a Blu-ray player. Deciding to go HDMI all the way because I had too many machines I bought the Sony receiver. I hooked everything through the receiver with Rocketfish HDMI cables and it all worked great.

So, XBox, satellite box, HDDVD & Blu-ray all HDMI into receiver with one HDMI out to TV.
Unfortunately my Sony had an overheating issue and fried two weeks ago. I sent it back to Sony and they sent me a new system.

I hooked all my cables up the way I had them before, and now my problem begins.

NO HDMI from Blu-ray, HDDVD or satellite. But XBox is still working. This could have all been explained with the 'handshaking' reasoning IF they didn't work before. I'm sure that's the reason now, but like I said, why did it work before?

I'm hoping to buy the Toshiba 55" 120Hz 1080p HD LED (55SL412U) once my TV finally decides it's not going to power on at all, and I'm hoping that that may fix the 'handshaking' issue.

So I guess my questions are these:
- Does this seem like the standard 'handshaking' issue? The XBox works because it's older, like the TV, but the other machines are too new versions of HDMI?
- Why would it work before and not now?
- Does it seem reasonable to think that a new TV will fix the issue, and it most likely isn't related to any other issue.

NOTE: I have tried to connect the Blu-ray directly to the TV, and the same issue persists, which is why I believe it's the TV's HDMI connectivity. But again, did I just get lucky before?
post #177 of 180 Old 06-28-2013, 03:36 PM

My problem summary : I have :

1 .46 LED Samsung smart TV..

2 .Harmen kardon AV70 receiver and 5.1 JBL Speakers .

3 . Sony PS3

4 .Segate Goflex HD media player

5. VU+ UNO satellite receiver

(you can connect the sources 3&4&5 to the LED by HDMI ...and give audio out through optical to the hrman kardon ...but in this case .you will lose some sound quality )

So the best way is this :

Iv connected sources 3&4&5 to the Harman kardon by HDMI cables ..and gave HDMI out for the video from the Harman kardon to the LED .

Sources 3&4 work fine audio and video.

Source 5 (Vu+ uno) don't have audio.

With maintaining the same connections ..but changing the setting on Harman kardon ...(HDMIsettings....from HDMI AMP to HDMI TV ) (with this you cancel the audio from the speakers system and get it from the LED speakers).

With this setting i get audio .

Same problem i had with STRONG HD SATELLITE RECEIVER ............BUUUUUT i tried a cheap quality HD satellite receiver i didn't face any problems at all .

Please advice .

I NEED AUDIO OUT THROUGH THE SOUND SYSTEM.
post #178 of 180 Old 06-30-2013, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 341
If your only issue is audio, then you can connect a digital audio cable from your VU+ to the Harmon Kardon receiver and you should be good to go. The issue really sounds like it is in the EDID of the VU+ which is just a common thing with lesser known/import set top boxes. There will be no audio degradation if you are going directly from the VU+ to your receiver and you should get solid audio doing it this way.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #179 of 180 Old 07-02-2013, 09:25 AM

thank you
post #180 of 180 Old 10-18-2014, 05:36 PM

Liked: 0
Is it possible to leave satellite reciever on when HDMI connected TV is turned off?
TV Samsung 5203 LED 46"
Dish Network receiver ViP 722k DVR
I would like satellite receiver to always stay on so my elderly Mom only has to remember TV power on and channel/volume up/down. I do not see setting on TV or satellite keeps from turning satellite off when TV is turned off.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page