AVS Forum banner

HDMI issues with cable or satellite receivers

151K views 179 replies 145 participants last post by  jpbelloh 
#1 ·
We are actively working with STB makers and cable companies to resolve HDMI related interoperability issues, and have had some significant success (we believe that we have identified fixes for many of the STB models currently on the market). However, we continue to see posts about cable & satellite set top boxes that have issues when using HDMI (such as not supporting an AV receiver, picture blanks out periodically, no audio, etc). In many cases, the interoperability problem can be fixed by a simple firmware fix (a number of service providers distributed this fix this spring, as part of their efforts to accommodate the shift in daylight savings time (from April to March). We would like to analyze any currently outstanding problems, and determine, among other things, those cable and satellite systems where this fix has not been distributed. So, we'd like to ask that the community post data that we can use to track this issue and to identify where we may have work left to do.

If you have a cable or satellite set top box where HDMI does not currently function properly, please post the following information to this thread:

- Make/model of all devices in the chain (ex. STB, AV receiver, TV)

- Name of the cable/satellite provider

- Firmware revision on the set top box

- Your geographic region (i.e. your city & state)

- Description of the issue, any information of specific symptoms & behavior

See less See more
#2 ·
Sources: Scientific Atlanta HD8300 DVR, Harman Kardon AVR 247.

Displays: Sony Grand Wega KDF-55WF655, Sharp Aquos LC-26D43U

What works: HK to Sony, DVR to Sharp,

What does NOT work: DVR to Sony , DVR to AVR to Sony

Also noted that HDMI Audio does not work in the DVR to AVR to Sharp setup.

My main system is the Sony, I just moved the Sharp to test the connectivity issues.

#3 ·
HR20-100

Yamaha RX-V661 amp

hdmi from HR20 to amp

hdmi from amp to TV

June 07

System worked fine until I decided to clean up the wiring and disconnected everything for an hour to clean it up. When I plugged everything in again the HR20 had lost all of the recorded programs and the "To Do" list for future programming.

Someone said the amp can talk back to the HR20 and may have rebooted it so I disconnected the hdmi cable to amp and hooked it directly to TV. It has worked fine ever since.

Now I want to again input to the amp and use second hdmi input for 2nd sat receiver but I am afraid of a repeat. Recently an updated version was put out for the HR20 but don't know if this possible problem is corrected. Any help appreciated.

#4 ·
-Time Warner Cable, Raleigh, NC

Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR

Passport Echo v2.6.002

-Oppo 981 DVD player (firmware v?)

-Monoprice 4x1 HDMI switch v2.5

-Mitsu HD1000u projector

The Oppo DVD player works fine throught the switch, but the 8300 will only output 1080i. Whenever I try & change the output resolution, it does not stick. It reverts back to 1080i. Without the switch, it works fine, and I can choose other resolutions.

#6 ·
I was having some HDMI dropouts on my Onkyo 905 as a result of the cable putting downward pressure on the HDMI connector. While I was looking to see if there was a better way to secure my HDMI cable to my Onkyo 905, I ran across this site and wonder how much applicability it may have to this dicussion.

http://mostly-linux.blogspot.com/200...h-if-hdmi.html

I like what HDMI is trying to accomplish, but I really think the physical interconnect is a poorly thought out design that will cause numerous problems for both consumers and manufacturers that have to deal with these issues.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by apmonte /forum/post/11394766

I was having some HDMI dropouts on my Onkyo 905 as a result of the cable putting downward pressure on the HDMI connector. While I was looking to see if there was a better way to secure my HDMI cable to my Onkyo 905, I ran across this site and wonder how much applicability it may have to this dicussion.

I noticed this same problem with my Onkyo 805 last night. I have dropouts that "appear" to increase when there is increased pressure on the HDMI output on the 805 probably due to the large diameter and heavy cable of my Monoprice 22 AWG. It actually feels looser now. These are absolutely poor connections when compared to DVI.

#8 ·
Time Warner Cable

Samsung SMT-H3050 : source

Onkyo 905 - Reciever

Samsung DLP - 6168 (1080i)

works fine going hdmi to tv, when going through reciever i actually got a picture a few times playing around with it, but it wont stick. It keeps losing the signal and giving me STB Authentication Issue on screen (use component out)

#9 ·
Sat. provider: DirecTV

Sat. receivers: H20-100 (two of them, made in Mexico, installed brand new in Aug 2007) both receivers with the latest update software: x2021

TV: Vizio VUE42LF (1080p, 42") mfg. May 2007

TV: Philips 42PFL7422D/37 (1080p, 42") mfg. Aug 2007

With VIZIO Symptoms developed gradually. All worked fine for about 2 days, than the audio noise and related lines across the screen started first; evolved into blink to blue screen with "Lost video signal" in next 1 day, than frequency of 'lost signal' became 2x per minute.

VIZIO was exchanged for PHILIPS and the 'lost signal' became 3-4x per minute (no audio or lines as previously). Sat. receivers temperature high.

Both H20 receivers displayed strange behaviour when first turned on: they were first connected with Component cable and they would not turn on, when they did turn on after about 5 minutes they lost green color which returned after cable was removed and reconnected. This did not repeat again.

Both VIZIO & PHILIPS had no problems working with two HR20 (installed new Aug 2007).

Of course all this on HDMI output.

#10 ·
Directv H20

Oppo 971H dvd player

Epson Home Cenima 1080P Projector

Nad Master M15 Processor Pre Amp

Since upgrading equiptment, I have had problems with HDMI.

My projector has only 1 HDMI. If I run the cable straight from the projector to either the DVD or the Sat Rec.; they work perfectly. If I try to use the processor to get both with HDMI; I can get a picture with the dvd player, but not the Sat. Rec. I have the processor set correctly so as the dvd uses HDMI 1 and the Sat. Rec. is programed for HDMI 2. I have tried switching without having success.

I have tried 2 Sat. Receivers, same model, and 2 Nad Pre Amps with the same results. I have also used 4 different types of cables. This has been a headache. Any help is appreciated.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arqos /forum/post/11456856

Time Warner Cable

Onkyo 905 - Reciever

works fine going hdmi to tv, when going through reciever i actually got a picture a few times playing around with it, but it wont stick. It keeps losing the signal and giving me STB Authentication Issue on screen (use component out)

Time Warner Cable, Manhattan

Samsung SMT-H3050

Pioneer VSX-82TXS

Toshiba 52HM84 DLP

Toshiba HD-A2

HDMI+ HD DVD player works fine through the receiver, but not the STB. I am having the same problem but I have never gotten the picture to stick. Just have the STB authentication error. This is pretty annoying since I had an ADB IPTV box work perfectly through HDMI, switched providers and get this.

#12 ·
TV: Sony KDF-E55A20

AV Receiver: Onkyo HT-R640 (came with HT-S894 system)

STB: Motorola DCH6200 -Firmware: 18.20

Cable provider: Brighthouse Networks - Livonia, MI

Current Configuration:

STB =>HDMI \\

================> AV Receiver =>HDMI=> TV
DVD =>HDMI /

The Onkyo HT-R640 has 2 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output.

For the 2 weeks now, since I plugged in my new STB, I experience an intermittent "green screen of death" (Solid GREEN screen w/ audio) when watching cable. Sometimes it stays green. Sometimes it flashes off and my picture comes back. This happens so often that my cable is completely unwatchable. On 2 occasions instead of a green screen, I got a blue screen that warned me that HDCP failed and to use component video (for many reasons this is not an acceptable solution)

This NEVER happens when I watch a DVD on this system.

I tried this configuration: STB =>HDMI=> TV

This had the exact same results as my other set-up.

I have also tried switching out my HDMI cables, but this did not help.

My wires are routed with extreme care, there is no unnecessary pressure on my connectors.

An interesting side note is that before I got this current STB, I had basically the same model but it was the DVR version (I wish I knew the model # and FW version). This box worked flawlessly for the month that I had it.

At this point I don't know what to do.

1. Try to exchange my box for a different one (same model)

(perhaps I have a bad box?)

2. Pay the extra $7/month for the DVR box (even though I don't really want/use the feature)

(I am also concerned that my previous good experience was a fluke?)

3. I could go with the CableCard but I think this costs me an extra $9.50/Month and I lose some features.

Feel free to PM me or Email me if you have any possible solutions to my problem.

Thanks in advance!

-Mike
knucklesdragon@yahoo.com

#13 ·
I've had problems with the HDMI connection between a TIVO HD with cablecards (carrier is Time Warner of Manhattan) and a Sony WEGA.

On some (but not all) channels using the HDMI connector I receive an error message: "Viewing not permitted using DVR's HDMI output. Try another output."

No apparent pattern to the impacted channels, ie, some premium are viewable others get this message, some basic cable and network get the error, others work fine. All channels are viewable with component connector.

Other facts:

Similar to experience of a previous poster, some channels that were initially viewable in HDMI when I first got the TIVO box NO LONGER are viewable in that mode

When I switch to a "nonviewable" channel, I actually get a signal (ie, viewable picture and audible sound) for 5-10 seconds before screen goes black and message appears

I've tried switching out the cablecards but there was no difference with the second set

#14 ·
Purchased the Monoprice 2 to 1 switcher and both the dvd and sat. receiver work now with absolutely no problems. The switching from the $3,000 nad preamp and the epson 1080p projector could not communicate. The $18 monoprice switcher did the job, explain this.

#15 ·
Panasonic PT-AX100U projector

Monoprice 4x1 HDMI switch box

Toshiba HD DVD A20

Dishnetowrk VIP 211 software: L430

HDMI: 3ft, 6ft, and 35ft.

I have no issue with DVD player. It is just the Dishnetwork. Notice in late July,

Dishnetwork upgraded to L349 and L430. With these two new software uploaded. Can not get 720p and 1080i resolution. I have to downscale to 480p to able to watch TV. I just saw L433 update new software on Dishnetwork website yesterday 9/18/07. I will try it out and post what happen soon.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arqos /forum/post/11456856

Time Warner Cable

Onkyo 905 - Reciever

I'm getting this same message. Very very frustrating.

STB --> Vizio P50 = Works

STB --> Denon 3808ci --> Vizio P50 = STB Authentication Issue on screen (use component out)

TWC is unhelpful to the point of belligerence. "Sir, we do NOT help people set up their home theaters. It is not our responsibility, nor is it our concern. You've already wasted too much of my time." I think my paraphrasing might be giving the girl's mastery of the English language a little bit too much credit.

Not loving TWC right now, I can tell you that much.

#18 ·
Here is the issue and some history on my problem.

TV- Vizio GV52LF

Provider- TWC

- SA 8300HD Not sure about firmware revision. OCAP box. HDMI input

Location- Columbus, Ohio

Issue- I had an issue where my TV would come up with an error that the DVI input was not available. Kept swapping boxes 2 & 3 would not record after 2-3 days (could not find program error). 4 box fixed all those problems, but now have intermittent loss of audio in HD recordings. I got the 4th box around Sept 25 just after a new firmware fix had been loaded to all of their boxes, according to the tech. He also put a signal booster on my line.

#20 ·
Motorola DCT3412 I HD Cable Tuner/DVR

Aluratek 4 port HDMI switcher

Sharp Aquos LC-46D62U

Samsung BD-P1200 Blu-Ray Disc Player

Comcast Cable

Firmware version 16.20

Atlanta (Alpharetta) GA

First of all if I connect either the STB or the Blu-Ray player directly to the tv everything works fine. When I go through the HDMI switcher, however, the Blu-Ray works fine but the STB only comes through at 480p, which looks awful on both HD and non-HD channels. Furthermore, when you turn on the tv while it's switched to the STB all you get is static/haze and message that says an incompatible signal has been received, check your settings. If I turn the STB off and then on again communication is restored but still with a degraded 480p signal. I have tried multiple cables with no success. I bet if I called Comcast and asked them if they have a newer firmware version that fixes this problem they'd look at me like I had two head and spoke a foreign language.

#21 ·
Please Help!! :-(

updated everything to HD right so i just had to use a few HDMI cables... i was hoping...

I have the sony dg810 directv's HD sat dvr, optoma H31 projector and sony's rdr gx 255 dvd player/recorder (saving up for HD dvd Player) so i hook it all up via HDMI cables to the dg810... i get no sound at all from the sat dvr, only picture, unless i also use a optical cable and with the dvd player i get sound until i turn on the projector so i also have to have either coax or optical cable hooked up from that as well.... and latey i keep having to change the sound settings even tho its all in HD from the sat to hear voice some settings can hear all sounds but voice so i have to switch to 2channel.. never had to do that before.... can anyone help???????

signed,

disgusted with HDMI

#22 ·
Motorola DCT6416 III HD/DVR with Comcast Cable

Display = Marantz VP4001 front DLP projector (native 720p) with component and HDMI inputs

AVR = Marantz SR7001 (4 HDMI inputs, 1 output)

Motorola DCT6416 III ==> Marantz projector directly with 20' 22AWG HDMI cable gets beautiful, glitch-free picture on display

Motorola DCT6416 III ==> Marantz AVR ==> Marantz DLP projector with HDMI cables gets glitch-free digital sound through HDMI, but I get no picture. When I put the projector on HDMI input it doesn't give me any funky HDCP error message; it simply says "No signal." I have tried every conceivable setting on all three units in the HDMI chain and every combination of turning them off and on again. No joy.

I have the very same problem with my Toshiba HD DVD A20 player.

I have concluded that HDCP is simply a major fiasco and that when Home Theater veterans and enthusiasts can't get their units to communicate, your average consumer doesn't stand a chance. I throw in the towel with HDMI for delivering both video and audio. I'm resigned to using it just to deliver video from my HD DVD player to my projector display.

#23 ·
- STB: Samsung SMT-H3050 (received on October 2007)

- A/V Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR805

- TV: Sony LCD XBR HDTV

- TimeWarnerCable, New York City (Manhattan), NY

Connection set-up:

STB HDMI => Onkyo Recevier HDMI => TV HDMI

Very consistent with above threads, at first, the system connects for 3 seconds then a message appears saying "STB could not authenticate HDMI - Use component". From other threads I read, looks like the problem remains with the HDCP (for content protection) of the STB.

If connecting the STB HDMI directly to the TV, it works fine (but defeats the purpose of using a receiver!)

#24 ·
1. STB is Samsung SMT-H3050. Receiver is Marantz SR-7001. TV is Sharp Aquos LC-46D82U.

2. Time Warner Cable, New York City

3. Don't know how to determine the firmware version, though I did reboot the STB this afternoon.

4. Location is New York (Manhattan), NY

5. STB to TV works fine. STB to receiver to TV causes an authentication failure message followed by a blue screen. Audio does pass through, though the sound level is rather low.

#25 ·
- Scientific Atlanta 8300HD w/ Passport on TWC NJ (NYC service)

- Samsung FP-T5884 TV

STB is connected directly to the TV. It usually works but occasionally turns on with an error message saying the TV does not support HDCP (which it does), and I must use component connection. The only way to resynchronize is to reboot the STB. Let me tell you that is a real drag when the DVR is in the middle of a recording. What a load of BS. If you're going to shove copy protection down our throats, at least make sure it works so paying customers don't get jerked around like this.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaracelona /forum/post/11532543

Directv H20

Oppo 971H dvd player

Epson Home Cenima 1080P Projector

Nad Master M15 Processor Pre Amp

Since upgrading equiptment, I have had problems with HDMI.

My projector has only 1 HDMI. If I run the cable straight from the projector to either the DVD or the Sat Rec.; they work perfectly. If I try to use the processor to get both with HDMI; I can get a picture with the dvd player, but not the Sat. Rec. I have the processor set correctly so as the dvd uses HDMI 1 and the Sat. Rec. is programed for HDMI 2. I have tried switching.

I had the same issue with my Dish VIP411.

I had my dealer update the NAD M15 firmware and I no longer have HDMI HDCP handshaking issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.