DESPERATELY need help... HDMI splitter and loss of signal? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 10-06-2007, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everybody, i cannot emphasize enough how much you guys have helped me, i just have one quick question about HDMI and possible signal loss.

My mitsubishi hd1000u, as most of you all already know, is 720p/1080i with only one HDMI input. I want to plug in 2 different HDMI devices to it.

There is an HDMI splitter at one of my most trusted and reliable cable sites (http://www.mycablemart.com/store/car...t_detail&p=422)
and it is supposed to be good from what i hear.

Now, mycablemart suggests a thicker gauge due to added "resistance". I will not touch this splitter, just to push 1 or 2 to switch hdmi ports as the devices im plugging in are here to stay. My projector does not output 1080p so I am not concerned about 1080p, just 1080i and 720p output.

Can't i use the regular 28 AWG HDMI cables for input and output connections? I will try to get the cable lengths as short as i can, im looking at 3 ft in, 6 ft in, 6 ft out. I assume mycablemart is just trying to sell their thicker, more expensive cables, or is saying the added "resistance" comes from people plugging in and out hdmi devices constantly, which i will not do.

Will this input/output device suit me, and are 28awg HDMI cables that they have on the same site suitable for this type of setup? I am looking at the most inexpensive way to output my PS3 and 1080i HDTV Cable Box to my projector, and as long as these cables and this splitter are suitable, I feel this is the way to go. Guys, am i right or wrong?!?!?

thank you SO SO much!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-06-2007, 07:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
With those short runs, 28 AWG should be fine. However, I just looked at your link and I see that it's a non-powered switch. I probably would bump up the gauge just as a precaution. Monoprice sells the same switch for 1/2 that cost, and for just a little more than your site, sells a 3x1 powered/equalized HDMI switch, which at your length requirements won't need a larger gauge cable.

I'm not pushing monoprice, I just know that I and many others on this site have purchased a ton from them, and I personally have never had any problems (not that they don't exist).

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page