HDMI Input Problems. READ/POST Here if you Have Experienced These Issues. - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 54 Old 05-08-2009, 04:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm really beginning to think it's a wiring issue, i.e. some particluar wire is getting baked and losing conductivity. I had a licensed tech replace the ASU/DSU Board and the PD mount and I still have the issue. When my lamp dies, I'm running deep up in this Sony garbage to investigate. I will share any findings I make.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 54 Old 05-08-2009, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Something to consider is the connector itself. I'm sure most are having electronic problems with HDMI but I had mechanical issues.
While I'm waiting for my Mits replacement I was cleaning everything up. I noticed one HDMI cable didn't fit well in my D* receiver. With a magnifying glass I could see the receiver's connector was ok. The Radio Shack cable connector was not. It had two pins pushed in. I checked other cables and found two other connectors with bent pins. Some pins were pushed straight back. In this case it's possible to make a good connection but the connector doesn't go all the way in. The other connectors had pins askew which looked like you couldn't have a good connection. I do remember months ago when I was first having problems with the tv, I was trying many kinds of connections and thinking one cable wasn't working at all.

My observation is that if the shell of the connector doesn't butt up against the chassis of the component, then you might have bent pins. Don't push it, literally. It's better to be replacing a cable than a component.

Patrick
post #33 of 54 Old 05-12-2009, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

My R60XBR1 won't display any encrypted content through HDMI. I can however display unencrypted material from my HTPC using a DVI-HDMI cable. I called a local Sony tech and he quoted me $500 to come out and diagnose the problem and replace the HDMI board (he said the board costs $199). Forget it, not worth it. Anyway, these sets only accept 1080i natively which is upconverted to 1080p. Using HDMI instead of component doesn't necessarily mean better pq.

I think Sony either had QC problems with the HDMI (surprise!) or just did not design the electronics properly to consistently achieve the handshake. The bigger villain is HDCP itself which was botched from the inception. Even after all these years, CE makers are still having problems with it.
post #34 of 54 Old 05-13-2009, 04:30 AM

My KDF-E50A10 can be added to the list. My A1/PS3/360 elite via HDMI worked fine all these years until now. My HD-A1 picture goes blink every 2secs, My Ps3 has audio but no image now but my 360 elite still displays the games but I get the HDCP error when I pop in a dvd.

SONY booo!

XBL- Z3ROx24
post #35 of 54 Old 08-11-2009, 08:19 PM

Add my KDS-R60XBR1 to the list.

I was about to post this to the owners thread as it gets more traffic or did anyway but did one last search and found this thread.
This happened awhile back after the warranty expired. I was watching tv and the box displays that the tv does not support hdcp. I swap in the component cables and back to the show. I call Sony and they say it is the box. I call Time Warner and they say it might be the box, it might be the tv. They tell me to swap the box. I swap the box, and still get the message.

Oddly I have an Oppo OPDV971 connected to the other HDMI port. The oppo works perfect. I switch the cables in the HDMI ports and the Oppo still works and the SA box does not.

Since this started I have tried a Samsung BD-p2500 player, a non-dvr cable box, a Toshiba dvd burner/vhs player and none of them work. The screen either blinks green or displays a solid green screen. All of these devices have HDMI connectors built in to them.

I hook up a DVI/HDMI cable from my laptop to the TV and once I make the Sony the 2nd monitor I get a picture and can stream Netflix onto it.

The Oppo btw has a DVI connector (not a HDMI) and came with a DVI to HDMI cable. I don't understand why a dvi to hdmi works but not hdmi to hdmi. The Toshiba dvd burner/vhs player should (HDMI/HDMI) work as there is no encryption or am I wrong on this not being encrypted?

The picture is fine with the components but I want to upgrade my Kenwood receiver to a nice new Yamaha. It looks like most of the advanced features need the HDMI to work on the tv. I rather not replace the tv yet as it still looks good.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
post #36 of 54 Old 11-12-2009, 09:50 PM

I just got a new Mits 60735 60" DLP. My third hdmi port is grayed out even though I have something hooked up to it how do I turn that port on?
post #37 of 54 Old 01-10-2010, 03:21 PM

Two days ago, Jan 8, 2010, my Sony SXRD 60 inch 1080i arbitrarily began failing to display video from HDMI Input. The failure is a surprise as no changes have been made to the system configuration. I have an Onkyo home theatre receiver feeding the signal to SONY SXRD through HDMI. Connected to Onkyo Receiver is a Sony PS3, HD TIVO and Apple TV connected to. I thought problem was my receiver. When I connected TIVO directly to SONY SXRD HDMI Ports on back of TV, I received a HDMI HDCP error screen from TIVO which I have never seen before. TIVO error message said my TV was not HDMI HDCP compliant and said to use component cables.
I connected another even newer Home theater receiver to my SONY SXRD and still the SONY SXRD failed to display a video signal received through HDMI. The failure has not been resolved from cycling power through various components at different intervals in different orders of power on process. I have plugged and unplugged units from power, swapped cables etc to no avail. I have called Best Buy as I have extended warranty expiring in April 2010. Best buy is to visit the 20th of this month (Jan 2010) to diagnose and ostensibly repair. We will see outcome. I have had Optical block replaced twice and bulb replaced once. Now HDMI voodoo. The saga continues with Sony SXRD.
post #38 of 54 Old 01-10-2010, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I have occasional dropouts on my 60 in SOny SXRD A3000. I have a 35ft Blue Jeans HDMI cable coming from my Denon 4308. When the dropout happens, I get up, disconnect and reconnect the cable and instantly the picture returns. I know it is the cable connecting to the tv that gets loose. Occasionally my HD DVR SA 8300 will cause consistent dropouts, like every ten seconds of screen black then back. I have to shut down and reboot the cable box and the issue goes away. Annoying stuff but I have learned to live with it. It doesn't happen all day or even every day. Random and intermittent.
post #39 of 54 Old 01-10-2010, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeholloway View Post

Two days ago, Jan 8, 2010, my Sony SXRD 60 inch 1080i arbitrarily began failing to display video from HDMI Input. The failure is a surprise as no changes have been made to the system configuration. I have an Onkyo home theatre receiver feeding the signal to SONY SXRD through HDMI. Connected to Onkyo Receiver is a Sony PS3, HD TIVO and Apple TV connected to. I thought problem was my receiver. When I connected TIVO directly to SONY SXRD HDMI Ports on back of TV, I received a HDMI HDCP error screen from TIVO which I have never seen before. TIVO error message said my TV was not HDMI HDCP compliant and said to use component cables.
I connected another even newer Home theater receiver to my SONY SXRD and still the SONY SXRD failed to display a video signal received through HDMI. The failure has not been resolved from cycling power through various components at different intervals in different orders of power on process. I have plugged and unplugged units from power, swapped cables etc to no avail. I have called Best Buy as I have extended warranty expiring in April 2010. Best buy is to visit the 20th of this month (Jan 2010) to diagnose and ostensibly repair. We will see outcome. I have had Optical block replaced twice and bulb replaced once. Now HDMI voodoo. The saga continues with Sony SXRD.

Had the same thing happen with my 50 XBR1 a couple times, luckily not for awhile. Have NAD receiver, got same HDCP errors with my tivo and comcast dvr. Both times it resolved itself after turning the tv off for awhile. First time it was overnite, second time about 10 mins fixed it. I called Abt service to look at it, but since I couldn't reproduce it they wouldn't come out to look at it. Hasn't happened since last Oct I think. Please let us know what they do to fix it.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #40 of 54 Old 06-26-2010, 11:28 AM

Add me to the list too.

Sony TV KDS-R60XBR1 bought new June 2006 and worked great until now, June 2010. Below are devices that succeed/fail to display HDMI which makes me think the TV stopped handling HDCP. On all devices, tried both HDMI ports and swapped HDMI cables. Same devices/cables work fine on my Samsung LCD TV which is one year older than my Sony.

DirecTV HR20/700 in 2008 connected HDMI still working fine today in both HDMI ports.

Toshiba DVD player bought new Feb 2008
- connected HDMI worked fine until Jan 2010 when replaced by PS3
- connected HDMI June 2010 to troubleshoot PS3; displays the Toshiba splash screen and menus but the screen goes blank when any DVD movie inserted.

PS3 bought new Jan 2010
- connected HDMI worked fine for 5 months but now flashes a green screen for a second then displays a blank/black screen
- connected component now working fine

Dell laptop Windows 7 connected HDMI displays fine on TV.
- when playing a DVD on laptop connected to TV, using Windows Media Center the movie video is scrambled but audio is fine.
- when playing a DVD on laptop disconnected from TV, the movie video/audio is fine.
post #41 of 54 Old 03-31-2011, 08:17 AM

FWIW, my PD board finally went out and stopped with the HDCP handshake. Unprotected HDMI was still fine.

I picked up a PD board on Ebay for $75 including shipping, as-is from a surplus supplier.

The worst part of it was getting the metal RF cage off. What a nightmare. But I replaced the board and HDCP is now perfect.

I experienced what others did - intermittent dropouts that just got worse no matter how much power cycling or cable swapping.

This thread is old. I know. But I figured I'd throw it up since some people still use these sets. I got the optical block replaced under the lawsuit, and a spare lamp that will last me for another 15 months or so, so if this board holds, I figure I've got a great LCOS secondary HDTV.

For me, $75, a couple Ibuprofen for the neck-crickin' weird angles I had to get into to reach all the screws and parts and such, and a couple hours of working with precision screws was worth it.
post #42 of 54 Old 04-23-2011, 01:35 PM

For someone else in the future; replacing the A-1152-716-A PD Board also solved my problem with the HDMI ports failing for protected handshake (but ok for non-protected).

I also went the eBay route and went through the same exercise as Savage1701 with similar experiences.

I guess the good news is that since we have the "Green Blob" issue there are plenty of refurbished spare parts available!
post #43 of 54 Old 05-11-2011, 08:25 PM

Liked: 12
After 5 years, the HDMI port on my E50A10 also failed and I was getting sound but no picture through my HDMI port. I ordered Sony part number A1129345A (also referred to as a P-Board). It was $155.00 dollars direct from Sony. I also downloaded an E50A10 Service Manual for $7.00 off the web. After reading how to remove the rear cover and gain access to the P-Board, it only took me about 40 minutes to replace the board. I now have a functioning HDMI port again! After watching HD via a component cable hook-up for about a month, the improvement in the picture after changing back to HDMI is significant. If I get another 3-4 years out of the TV, I will consider it money well spent. Having recently replaced my lamp module, the HD picture on the set is still beautiful. Friends with newer LCD TV's often comment on how nice the picture is. I've had no other problems with the set.
post #44 of 54 Old 05-12-2011, 06:23 AM

Hi all, I posted this in the 738 series owners thread, but I saw this thread and think my issue may pertain more here.

I recently picked up the Mitsubishi 73738, as well as the Samsung HT-D6730W 3D Blu Ray Home Theater. The Samsung unit does have HDMI switching, and this is where I run into a problem. The only input currently running into the Samsun unit is my Verizon Fios Box via HDMI. The only input into the TV is the Samsung receiver via HDMI. When I turn the TV on it recognizes the box, and asks me to name it (I named it AVR). However, when I go to Inputs on the TV, there are two listed, Blu-Ray, and AVR. Selecting either of them displays the Samsung Receiver fine when I'm in Samsung's main menu. I find it odd that one HDMI input is listed twice in my Mitsubishi inputs selection, but it's not really a problem.

When I switch the input on the Samsung receiver to HDMI 1 (the Fios box), I all of a sudden get a blank screen on the TV. When I push Menu, or any other button the Mitsubishi remote, nothing is displayed on screen. However, if I push input, push the right arrow, then enter, the input switches to the other input, either Blu-Ray or AVR, and the picture is displayed. So apparently the TV isn't freezing, but the picture gets frozen. Here's another weird part: When the Samsung box is on HDMI 1, and I push Menu or go to DVD mode on the Samsung Remote, I get a blue screen (instead of a blank one) that is not frozen, Mitsubishi's menu works, but there is no picture. To get a picture back, I have to switch from whatever input I'm on to the other one (blu-ray or avr), still get a blue screen there, and then switch back to the ORIGINAL input to get a picture back from the receiver.

Does any of this make any sense to anyone? I tried playing around with the HDMI-CEC settings, and turned them off on both the TV and Receiver. Could this be the case of not having HDMI 1.4 cords even though I'm not trying to view any 3d content? Unfortunately I can't use the TV as a switching point, because it doesn't have an optical output, and the receiver ONLY has an optical input.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
post #45 of 54 Old 05-12-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmerrell View Post

Hi all, I posted this in the 738 series owners thread, but I saw this thread and think my issue may pertain more here.

I recently picked up the Mitsubishi 73738, as well as the Samsung HT-D6730W 3D Blu Ray Home Theater. The Samsung unit does have HDMI switching, and this is where I run into a problem. The only input currently running into the Samsun unit is my Verizon Fios Box via HDMI. The only input into the TV is the Samsung receiver via HDMI. When I turn the TV on it recognizes the box, and asks me to name it (I named it AVR). However, when I go to Inputs on the TV, there are two listed, Blu-Ray, and AVR. Selecting either of them displays the Samsung Receiver fine when I'm in Samsung's main menu. I find it odd that one HDMI input is listed twice in my Mitsubishi inputs selection, but it's not really a problem.

When I switch the input on the Samsung receiver to HDMI 1 (the Fios box), I all of a sudden get a blank screen on the TV. When I push Menu, or any other button the Mitsubishi remote, nothing is displayed on screen. However, if I push input, push the right arrow, then enter, the input switches to the other input, either Blu-Ray or AVR, and the picture is displayed. So apparently the TV isn't freezing, but the picture gets frozen. Here's another weird part: When the Samsung box is on HDMI 1, and I push Menu or go to DVD mode on the Samsung Remote, I get a blue screen (instead of a blank one) that is not frozen, Mitsubishi's menu works, but there is no picture. To get a picture back, I have to switch from whatever input I'm on to the other one (blu-ray or avr), still get a blue screen there, and then switch back to the ORIGINAL input to get a picture back from the receiver.

Does any of this make any sense to anyone? I tried playing around with the HDMI-CEC settings, and turned them off on both the TV and Receiver. Could this be the case of not having HDMI 1.4 cords even though I'm not trying to view any 3d content? Unfortunately I can't use the TV as a switching point, because it doesn't have an optical output, and the receiver ONLY has an optical input.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Well it looks like I solved my problem by replacing a cheap HDMI cable with a more expensive one. It looks like the $3 6 foot cable on Amazon was too good to be true after all.
post #46 of 54 Old 08-02-2011, 11:18 PM

I have a Sony SXRD R60XBR1 that I bought the fall of 2005. Suddenly both my HDMI connections appear to have failed. I haven't made any changes and was even watching the TV earlier. I left the room for a while and when I came back my display which was set on one of the two HDMI ports was blank. I noticed my Yamaha RX-V2600 Receiver (which has 2 HDMI in and 1 HDMI out which I use showed a HDMI ERROR HDCP ERROR message) I tried directly connecting some of the components into the TV and bypassing the receiver but had no luck. What is really strange is that a few weeks ago a friend of mine with the same exact TV also had his HDMI ports fail which is a bizarre coincidence.

So, what are my options to get this fixed? Would it help to call Sony. I also had to have the Optical Block replaced a few years ago which they took care of.
post #47 of 54 Old 08-03-2011, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
try a "proper power up sequence" and reset of devices. there are posts but I think it is sink first (displays) then source (players). Once you get that going, add back the receiver in a similar manner. NOTE. I think you "mispoke" about the receiver, I don't know of any that offer 3 hdmis OUT and 1 IN... ?????? hopefully that is not how you are using it (INs and OUT reversed).
post #48 of 54 Old 08-03-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budwich View Post

try a "proper power up sequence" and reset of devices. there are posts but I think it is sink first (displays) then source (players). Once you get that going, add back the receiver in a similar manner. NOTE. I think you "mispoke" about the receiver, I don't know of any that offer 3 hdmis OUT and 1 IN... ?????? hopefully that is not how you are using it (INs and OUT reversed).

Your correct I messed up with my HDMI's in and out (I corrected them on my original post). My Yamaha RX-V2600 has 2 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI out (to the TV). The only HDMI input into the receiver is my PS3 currently. My TiVo Series 3's HDMI connects directly to the other HDMI input on my R60XBR1 and I have the optical audio output going to the receiver (at the time I didn't have enough HDMI inputs in my receiver for the TiVo).

Can you explain exactly what you mean by a "proper power up sequence"?

UPDATE: I posted this without checking my TV after letting it sit turned off all night. When I went to check my TV I decided to first unplug the power completely and disconnect the HDMI cables for a few seconds. I then plugged everything back in and now both HDMI inputs are currently working fine. So I am not sure if it was just letting the TV sit turned off over night did the trick or pulling the power completely. So we shall see if that fixed it or if it happens again.

Thanks.
post #49 of 54 Old 08-03-2011, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I think that's "kind of power up sequence" that you needed. Search and ye shall find discussions on powering up "sources and sinks" in "hdmi land". Glad it is working now.
post #50 of 54 Old 08-13-2011, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have a setup whereby I am running hdmi from my Bluray player to my pre-amp (a Marantz 5005) and then to my overhead projector. Because of the long run of the latter I have a 25 foot hdmi cable (hi speed) attached to a 12 foot hdmi cable with a powered booster. This generally worked though occasionally I would lose the image for a second or two and then the image was reacquired.

I recently had a power surge (good old Long Island) and though my equipment is protected with surge protectors the powered signal booster wasn't. The result was the HDMI port failed on the projector. The second hdmi port did work but for some reason the signal was weaker and the projector has continuous problems of acquiring the signal. When I tried running the hdmi cable directly from the bluray player to the projector the signal is picked up. I used the analog outs from my bluray player to my pre-amp to get hi def sound.

Should I try to get a new signal booster? I am not sure.

John
post #51 of 54 Old 10-05-2013, 03:38 PM

I have a Sony KDS-R50XBR! which I purchased in 2008. Recently, within the last 12 months, the TV flickers on and off as I"m watching TV. Periodically, an error message appears  that says something about the HDMI not working correctly. This problem is exacerbated by changing the channel.  I have had the my cable company come out and replace the box, and yet the problem persists.

post #52 of 54 Old 10-07-2013, 10:16 AM

Liked: 88
2 years, 1 month since the last append on this thread. You might try a new thread next time.

Anyway, if this just started happening without making any other changes to your system, it sounds like an intermittent failure in your TV.

For any further diagnosis, you should include a description of what is connected to the TV by what type of HDMI cables.
post #53 of 54 Old 01-20-2014, 03:24 PM

I have the Sony KDS=R60XBR1 which has two HDMI Ports.  Last year the HDMI port I had connected to my DVD player stopped working.  All I get out of it is a Greeenish Blue Screen.  So when I want to watch a DVD movie I have to turn the TV sideways and disconnect the Cable box and connect the DVD player.  We have had so many problems with this TV I am not interested in another $200 part.  We already have to switch the bulb out at least once a year.  I usually order 2 and keep a spare on hand.  This TV would already be the "Second" TV if I had not invested so much to buy it in the first place.  When I call Sony I find they really do not support their product.  They want you to go through the place of purchase.  If the warranty is gone it is generally cheaper to buy a new set.  So for now I turn the TV sideways.

post #54 of 54 Old 01-20-2014, 03:37 PM

Liked: 88
Yes, this is really a dead thread. Nobody is tracking the issues any more and (for the most part) TVs in the last 4 years or so don't have these types of problems. So, anyone else looking at this - no need to post anything anymore. Sony already had their recall/replace on the SXRDs.

On the plus side if you have not suffered from the dreaded green defect, then you have better black levels than any LCD out there. The LCOS/SXRD technology still lives on in front projectors. Unfortunately purchasing bulbs is part of the technology.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World