HDMI Input Problems. READ/POST Here if you Have Experienced These Issues. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 54 Old 02-04-2008, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My KDS-R60XBR1 Sony TV has had some major HDMI issues, and after speaking with a certified repair technician today, I think there may be some underlying issues with the relatively new HDMI technology on late model televisions.

If you have experienced any of the following symptoms with HDMI ports, please post here so that we may document these problems.

-Screen flashes on and off
-Screen flickers to colors, usually green, blue, or purple
-No picture
-HDMI input works with some devices, but not others
-HDMI does not work via "pass through" with an HDMI capable A/V Receiver
-You get an error message regarding the security of your HDMI connection
-You cannot achieve a "handshake" between your HDMI device and your monitor

If you have EVER experienced any of these, please let it be known here and hopefully we can address this issue with manufacturers. Even if the problem occurred once and then stopped, it is still a problem and as consumers, we should have protection against this problem.

HDMI boards can cost $200+ with labor on top of that, and I've got a bad feeling that there are a lot of consumers who will be paying this out of pocket in the coming years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 04-11-2008, 05:38 PM

My KDS-R60XBR1 Sony TV has the Screen flashes on and off problem when connect via HDMI.

Did you ever get a resolution to this issue?
post #3 of 54 Old 04-11-2008, 05:58 PM

What kind of HDMI cables are you using? I know that I tried to use a cheap Radio Shack HDMI cable in a pinch for my cable box to my TV and it caused screen flickering for days until I was able to get my cable from monoprice. Once I used that, all my issues went away. I returned the cable to Radio Shack. I know that's probably not the case in your instance, but I figured I'd share my experience anyway. Cheers.
post #4 of 54 Old 04-15-2008, 02:04 PM

I have a Samsung HLR5678W that I have to cycle through the inputs to get a prper picture when I turn on the TV. When I turn it on it goes between a fuzzy screen and blank. This is for a Comcast cable box hooked up via a Comcast supplied HDMI cable. Since all I have to do is cycle through the inputs to get the proper functioning it doesn't bother me too much, but it is annoying. I plan on buying some quality, reasonably priced HDMI's online in the next couple days and I will see if that fixes the problem.
post #5 of 54 Old 04-16-2008, 02:14 AM

I have a Mits DLP and never experience any handshake problems with devices connected directly to the set through the HDMI ports. Once I add a Sony HDMI receiver to the mix it's a whole different story. I get a few flickers and then the screen will go black for 2-3 seconds. It doesn't happen all the time and when it does it generally repeats a few times and then stops. I've done all manner of troubleshooting - upgrading cables, swapping inputs and even replacing the receiver - but it still happens. In my case, making sure the playback device is on before I turn on the TV and receiver usually prevents the handshake issue - but not always!

The problem is fairly common from what I've read online to various manufacturer's HDMI devices. Some people seem to feel it is due to generally spotty implementation of HDMI because of the constantly evolving spec. (All of my devices are 1.3 but some are 1.3a and some are 1.3b - ugh) Seems the company line from any one of the manufacturers is essentially "Our stuff works - the problem is with the other guy's stuff".

P
post #6 of 54 Old 04-16-2008, 11:04 AM

My KDS-R50XBR1 Sony TV just lost all HDMI connectivity. I have all cables from Monoprice including their HDMI switch. On Sunday the cable box said that my TV did not support HD and shut down to 480 and no picture. I checked over everything and nothing would give a picture to the TV anymore. I connected both the cable box and my PS3 directly to the back of the TV and nothing would show an image.

I made a call to CC and they have a service guy coming on Monday, since I bought the extended warranty.
post #7 of 54 Old 04-16-2008, 02:27 PM

I have had a Hitachi 57f510 rear projection hdtv for around three years now and i have never had a problem with it as a matter of fact it is a great set. About 6 months ago i decided to take the blu ray plunge and bought a playstation three as well as an oppo dv980h upconverting dvd player. Since the 57f510 only has one hdmi input i had to buy a switcher with three inputs on it where i could get everything connected and still have one free for something else later if need be. Ok that all sounds simple enough so i got it all connected and it has been working fine ever since. Well two weeks ago i put a dvd into the oppo and the normal oppo screen popped up on my tv but suddenly went black...no picture. Ok i found this distressing but did not panic yet so i tried the playstation 3 and got the same result as the ps3 screen popped up then went black...no picture. Of course the sound is still coming through because it is optically connected to a pioneer elite av receiver but no picture. Keep in mind this has been working fine for 6 months so i cannot figure out what the problem is but the tv has got to be the sourse because i have connected the oppo as well as the ps3 directly in to the tv's hdmi input and got the same result...picture for a few moments then black. I have an olevia 32 inch widescreen lcd hdtv and the oppo. ps3, and the switcher all work fine through it so the problem has to lie with the hitachi 57f510 somehow someway. I am still under warranty so i had my dealer come pick it up and replace the hdmi input and i got it back today and i will be darned if it isn't still doing it so evidentally it is something other than the input but still some kind of an hdmi problem. So now i cannot watch my blu rays or use my oppo with this tv and i am at my wit's end. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I would certainly appreciate any input because hitachi certainly has not been any help. Thank you very much!
post #8 of 54 Old 04-22-2008, 05:27 PM

The service guy was out yesterday. He couldn't figure out why my TV will not accept a HDMI signal anymore after two years. He called his supervisor and they have 4 TV's with similar problems and are waiting to hear from a Sony Engineer about what to do.

Meanwhile, I am still without my DVD any PS3, but the cable box is hooked up via component cables.

These are the devices I am running HDMI with:

Cable box: Scientific Atlanta 8300HD
Sony audio: HDX-501
Monoprice HDMI 5 port switch
PS3
All my cables are Monoprice ones.
post #9 of 54 Old 07-24-2008, 04:36 PM
BnM

My KDS-R50XBR1 Sony TV has had some major HDMI issues also. I purchased it in Oct, 2005.

My major issue is ....

-Screen flashes on and off

We are having a repair man coming over this Tuesday, July 29th, 08. If there is anyway I can do WITHOUT a repair man, please let me know. I know he is going to charge me and arm and a leg. Sony should be paying for this ****.

Someone please help
post #10 of 54 Old 07-24-2008, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=842581

A whole thread dedicated to a single shared issue with a 2006 Hitachi (and it might be fixed!)

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #11 of 54 Old 08-19-2008, 04:42 PM

The HDCP compliance of my Sony KDS-R50XBR1 is apparently no longer valid. My PS3 and Sony DVD Player NS3100ES do not display anything at all, while my Xbox 360 will display everything except movies upon which it displays "No Secure HDCP Link Found." Does anyone know the part number or description of the component that manages HDCP?
post #12 of 54 Old 09-16-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger714 View Post

The service guy was out yesterday. He couldn't figure out why my TV will not accept a HDMI signal anymore after two years. He called his supervisor and they have 4 TV's with similar problems and are waiting to hear from a Sony Engineer about what to do.

Meanwhile, I am still without my DVD any PS3, but the cable box is hooked up via component cables.

These are the devices I am running HDMI with:

Cable box: Scientific Atlanta 8300HD
Sony audio: HDX-501
Monoprice HDMI 5 port switch
PS3
All my cables are Monoprice ones.

Roger714-Did you ever find out what you had to do to get the hdmi to work again? I have the exact same situation as you. Mine worked just fine for 3 years and now it shows a picture for 1 second then disappears??!! I have a PS3 and Scientific Atlanta 8300HD connected directly to tv. Now I cannot get either one to work at all. The Scientific Atlanta 8300HD will show a picture for a moment then disappear. I don't understand what the problem is as it has been working perfect for all this time. I hooked up the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD by components and works fine but cannot connect my PS3. I have scoured forums but no one actually has posted any solutions or the specific problem with the unit. Please help!!
post #13 of 54 Old 10-25-2008, 07:30 PM

Liked: 13
i get these errors quite often now. i have an xbox 360 and ps3 through hdmi connections. the tv is not even 1 yr old yet. i have a samsung lnt4671 lcd tv. i find it extremely frustrating that i can't watch a dvd properly!
post #14 of 54 Old 12-01-2008, 05:21 PM

Liked: 11
I'm yet another person experiencing problems with HDMI and my SONY SXRD (Model: KDS-R60XBR1). Here is a detailed account of my experience trying to get Best Buy to address the issue (not resolved yet): http://forums.bestbuy.com/bb/board/m...&thread.id=563

Has anyone been able to have the issue repaired on the Sony SXRD? What parts were replaced and what was the cost? Thanks!
post #15 of 54 Old 12-01-2008, 06:05 PM

Note: Here are 17 different people that have permanent HDCP issues with their Sony SXRD televisions (i.e., hardware failure). There are numerous other accounts of non-permanent issues that can be solved via cycling inputs/power or firmware update for connected devices.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ight=xbr1+hdmi
stepmback (02-17-08)

Robdog (03-23-07)
BunG3 (03-27-07)
gunshotx (02-19-08)

JohnFR (09-27-08)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...91#post9837591
Whalen212 (02-21-07)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ight=sxrd+hdcp
Doodle (02-18-07)
WaldorfSalad (02-22-07)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=989272
Anadrol (02-04-08 )
mds_999 (04-11-08)
Roger714 (04-16-08)
BnM (07-24-08)
DecayingFlesh (08-19-08)
Knmoreno (09-16-08)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post13573842
greacondeacon (04-06-08)
kcuf (09-30-08)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post14065487
brimorga (06-12-08)

---------------------------------------------------------------------
For those that have solved the hardware problem (via Best Buy or otherwise), what parts were replaced? Parts I've seen listed:
ASU/DSU board (part# A-1152-715-A)
PDPCA (part# A-1152-716-A)?
"HDMI board" (part #?)
"UID board" (part #?)
Q-BOX ASSY (part A-1152-712-A)

FYI: After replacing the Q-Box my TV still did not work. Best Buy ended up replacing my TV.
post #16 of 54 Old 12-01-2008, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschetech View Post

i get these errors quite often now. i have an xbox 360 and ps3 through hdmi connections. the tv is not even 1 yr old yet. i have a samsung lnt4671 lcd tv. i find it extremely frustrating that i can't watch a dvd properly!

You have to update the firmware on the 4671. HDMI handshake was a big issue when the TV first came out. It has been fixed a long time ago.
post #17 of 54 Old 12-04-2008, 05:56 PM

Hardware issue, not firmware. Revised post to be more clear and added other accounts of the problem. Has anyone had this resolved via Best Buy Performance Service Plan (warranty)?
post #18 of 54 Old 12-07-2008, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSUNBRN View Post

Note: Here are 17 different people that have permanent HDCP issues with their Sony SXRD televisions (i.e., hardware failure).

You can add me to your list. The HDCP decryption doesn't work at all on my 60XBR1 & I have tried all the normal solutions like cycling inputs, turning on & off the power, etc. However, I can view unencrypted content through HDMI using my HTPC. Not really sure if there was a failure at some point or whether decryption didn't work from day one, because when I got my set Comcast wasn't encrypting. When they activated HDCP, I got the green screen. I figured for a while that it was the firmware on the Moto DVR because it was known there were some HDMI issues with my firmware version. I confirmed that decryption wasn't working at all when I got my PS3.

I called a local Sony repair shop and a guy told me it would cost $150 for a diagnostic visit, and I think he said if the HDMI board needed replacement, it would be something like $500 for the whole job including the cost of the board. This was about 6 months ago & so far I haven't felt like shelling out the $500.
post #19 of 54 Old 01-10-2009, 02:49 PM

So, has anyone been successful in having their tv's HDCP fixed?
post #20 of 54 Old 01-20-2009, 09:58 PM

Add me to the list.

I'm having problems getting my PS3 to talk to my 50XBR1 via HDMI. PS3 was working fine for months and then quit working in Dec. It's not the PS3 cause I tested it on a friend's TV and it was fine. DirecTV box is still working fine. ASU/DSU was replaced under extended warranty but didn't resolve the problem. I'm guessing it's maybe the PD board now. I'm going to give Sony a call tomorrow and see if they have any info.
post #21 of 54 Old 02-18-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldub06 View Post

Add me to the list.

I'm having problems getting my PS3 to talk to my 50XBR1 via HDMI. PS3 was working fine for months and then quit working in Dec. It's not the PS3 cause I tested it on a friend's TV and it was fine. DirecTV box is still working fine. ASU/DSU was replaced under extended warranty but didn't resolve the problem. I'm guessing it's maybe the PD board now. I'm going to give Sony a call tomorrow and see if they have any info.

I've had my PD board replaced along with the ASU/DSU board and I still have the problem.
post #22 of 54 Old 02-19-2009, 12:02 PM
ext

My KDS-R60XBR1 has lost it's HDCP ability on the HDMI connections. We used to have res switching problems when changing HD channels, 720p to 1080i. We had to switch to a 480i channel to reset the black flashing picture.

My PS3 seems to have been the final problem. After a couple weeks of operating fine the HDMI connection started flashing white snow / clear picture / black screen on the PS3. Then HDCP wouldn't work on the other HDMI port for the HD cable box. The Sony tech on the phone said it sounded like the PS3 was trying to push 1080p instead of 1080i. But the PS3 menu always recognized 1080i as the highest res and grayed out 1080p. Were using component now for the PS3 and HD cable box.

I called Sony to see if after all the optical blocks an other crap this could be the last straw to get them to give me some type of compensation and buy back the set or discount the purchase of an LCD. No dice. I was told to go seek out an Auth. Sony Service Tech and pay for my out of warranty problem myself.

I'll kick the thing to the curb before I spend a dime on fixing it again.
post #23 of 54 Old 02-25-2009, 09:47 PM

The HDMI input on my KDS-R50XBR1 has been a bit intermittent in the past when connected to my Time Warner Scientific Atlanta HD DVR. Picture would flash on and off occasionally. Switching the DVR's channel to a non-HD channel would usually restore the connection properly.

Today, the HDMI inputs on the set have completely failed. If I cycle the power on the DVR, the picture will come back for about 2 seconds and then go black. Audio still plays.

My Best Buy extended warranty of course expired two months ago. Now I'm really unhappy.

Did I mention that this TV is also on its third OB?
post #24 of 54 Old 03-01-2009, 06:49 AM

I went through that very same arguement about 1080p with tech support, along with the suggestion that I was using incompatible HDMI cables even though the same cables worked fine for more than two years.
post #25 of 54 Old 03-01-2009, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSUNBRN View Post

Note: Here are 17 different people that have permanent HDCP issues with their Sony SXRD televisions (i.e., hardware failure). There are numerous other accounts of non-permanent issues that can be solved via cycling inputs/power or firmware update for connected devices.

stepmback (02-17-08)

Robdog (03-23-07)
BunG3 (03-27-07)
gunshotx (02-19-08

JohnFR (09-27-08)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...91#post9837591
Whalen212 (02-21-07)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ight=sxrd+hdcp
Doodle (02-18-07)
WaldorfSalad (02-22-07)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=989272
Anadrol (02-04-08 )
mds_999 (04-11-08)
Roger714 (04-16-08)
BnM (07-24-08)
DecayingFlesh (08-19-08)
Knmoreno (09-16-08)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post13573842
greacondeacon (04-06-08)
kcuf (09-30-08)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post14065487
brimorga (06-12-08)

---------------------------------------------------------------------
For those that have solved the hardware problem (via Best Buy or otherwise), what parts were replaced? Parts I've seen listed:
ASU/DSU board (part# A-1152-715-A)
PDPCA (part# A-1152-716-A)?
"HDMI board" (part #?)
"UID board" (part #?)
Q-BOX ASSY (part A-1152-712-A)

FYI: After replacing the Q-Box my TV still did not work. Best Buy ended up replacing my TV.

I am sorry to hear about all the problems people are having with the SXRD. I have a KDS60A2000 (August 06 build) that has gone down twice. The first time was last summer because of 2 year old lamp and the second time in Nov 08 because of a bad fan. I had an extended Warrantee and under that warrantee the tech replaced both the lamp and fan (500). Other than that, the TV has been very good. No green blob problem.
Now I am planning on buying a Denon AVR. I see on the Denon forum that there may be a handshaking problem between the Denon and the Sony over HDMI. I would appreciate any comment on this situation before I make a costly mistake
post #26 of 54 Old 03-01-2009, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecayingFlesh View Post

I went through that very same arguement about 1080p with tech support, along with the suggestion that I was using incompatible HDMI cables even though the same cables worked fine for more than two years.

The following provides an overview of major functionality added to each version of HDMI:

HDMI 1.1:

Support for DVD Audio.
HDMI 1.2:

Adds features and capabilities that increase HDMI's appeal for use in both the CE and PC industries. Specifically, the features and modifications for HDMI 1.2 include: Support for One Bit Audio format, such as SuperAudio CD's DSD (Direct Stream Digital), changes to offer better support for current and future PCs with HDMI outputs, including: availability of the widely-used HDMI Type A connector for PC sources and displays with full support for PC video formats, ability for PC sources to use their native RGB color space while retaining the option to support the YCbCr CE color space, requirement for HDMI 1.2 and later displays to support future low-voltage (i.e., AC-coupled) sources, such as those based on PCI Express I/O technology.
HDMI 1.2a:

Consumer Electronic Control (CEC) features and command sets and CEC compliance tests are now fully specified.
Creation of version 1.2a of the HDMI Compliance Test Specification (CTS), which includes a CEC Supplement. HDMI CTS 1.2a has been updated for technical consistency with HDMI Specification 1.2a as well as to the recently released HDMI Specification 1.2.
Significantly, CTS 1.2a contains additional cable and connector testing and Authorized Testing Center (ATC) submission requirements. Specifically, under CTS 1.2a, the Adopter shall submit for testing to the ATC any new HDMI cable whose length exceeds previously tested cables.
Additionally, HDMI Licensing, LLC will maintain a list of approved connectors. For a device to pass CTS 1.2a testing at an ATC, all connectors on such device must appear on the approved connector list. To add a connector to this list, the vendor must submit to the ATC or HDMI Licensing, LLC full and passing testing results.
HDMI 1.3:

Higher speed: HDMI 1.3 increases its single-link bandwidth to 340 MHz (10.2 Gbps) to support the demands of future HD display devices, such as higher resolutions, Deep Color and high frame rates. In addition, built into the HDMI 1.3 specification is the technical foundation that will let future versions of HDMI reach significantly higher speeds.
Deep Color: HDMI 1.3 supports 10-bit, 12-bit and 16-bit (RGB or YCbCr) color depths, up from the 8-bit depths in previous versions of the HDMI specification, for stunning rendering of over one billion colors in unprecedented detail.
Broader color space: HDMI 1.3 adds support for x.v.Color (which is the consumer name describing the IEC 61966-2-4 xvYCC color standard), which removes current color space limitations and enables the display of any color viewable by the human eye.
New mini connector: With small portable devices such as HD camcorders and still cameras demanding seamless connectivity to HDTVs, HDMI 1.3 offers a new, smaller form factor connector option.
Lip Sync: Because consumer electronics devices are using increasingly complex digital signal processing to enhance the clarity and detail of the content, synchronization of video and audio in user devices has become a greater challenge and could potentially require complex end-user adjustments. HDMI 1.3 incorporates automatic audio synching capabilities that allows devices to perform this synchronization automatically with total accuracy.
New HD lossless audio formats: In addition to HDMI's current ability to support high-bandwidth uncompressed digital audio and all currently-available compressed formats (such as Dolby® Digital and DTS®), HDMI 1.3 adds additional support for new lossless compressed digital audio formats Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.

You may have cables that do not meet the specs.
post #27 of 54 Old 03-31-2009, 10:06 AM

I had my optical block replaced last Thursday on my KDS60XBR1. Saturday night, 30 minutes into a downloaded movie on my PS3 and my screen starts flashing and then goes out.

Now:
PS3 - No picture
Tivo S3 - picture on every channel but ones that require HDCP (HBO, SHO, etc.).
Macbook - Can send a 1080i signal over HDMI with no HDCP. Works fine.

All HDCP functionality on both HDMI inputs is dead now. I have experienced all the symptoms in the original post. Authorized Sony technician just was just out. He had no luck and going back to open a ticket with Sony to speak to an engineer.

Anyone find a fix?

Thanks
post #28 of 54 Old 04-11-2009, 08:18 AM

Someone has to have discovered the fix by now. Anyone?
post #29 of 54 Old 05-03-2009, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My Sony 50XBR1 just started. Was fine this morning then later could not talk to my NAD receiver and also to my Tivo HD directly connected.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #30 of 54 Old 05-04-2009, 07:33 PM

I have the KDS R50SBX. It's been having the same problem. Was using it with a standard DVD player with the HDMI cable. Thought it was the player since i never had an issue with my TV cable box. TV cable box is gone. Different DVD player and still have a problem. Was getting by with the component cable and didn't worry too much about it since I didn't have a blu ray player.

Fast forward to today. I just brought home a brand new Samsung player. Guess what! After 4 minutes, the screen went totally blank!!! AHHHHH!!!

Is there ANY permanent solution?

Anyone????
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page