Can I split up a 1394b cable and join them back using connectors? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 03-14-2008, 04:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

Recently, I have purchased a single length (2m) 1394b cable, with both ends terminated with the standard 1394b 9-pin connector. One 9-pin connector will go to a media storage device, and the other to my laptop.

Due to design constraints, I have to split this length of cable into two equal halves, and connect them back at an interface plate. Instead of splicing them together (which I cannot due to design constraint), I have to use round mil connectors. In other words, after cutting the 1394b cable, both loose ends will be terminated with round mil connector. These two connectors will then be connected back together at the interface plate.

The result is that my laptop is unable to detect my media storage device. I am puzzled why this does not work?

1394b should be able to support up to 100m of device to device connection and this is merely 2m. For the media storage device, only 4 pins are connected, namely the TPA+, TPA-, TPB+ and TPB-. Have I missed out something here? Is it that I cannot split up a 1394b cable just like that, and re-join them back using pins and sockets? I understand that 1394b cable is "peer to peer", so there should be no requirement to connect up the power pin. But am I right on this?

I hope someone can help me with this. Please feel free to request for more information from me if there is a need.

Thank you in advance for all the suggestions and help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-24-2009, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There seems to be some confusion as to the distance that Firewire can travel. 100m is possible but that is with fiber optic coupling. 4.5 meters is still the ieee1394b copper standard BUT by increasing copper guage and tweaking cables, some vendors are able to reach 10 meters at 800mBit/s.

As well, splicing 1394b will be very difficult as the splice itself will cause a strange impedance problem and signal reflection(apparently).
Reply Firewire 1394 Trade Association Q&A

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page