God Please Help, Going Nuts !!!! It Shouldnt Be This Hard !!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-07-2008, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,

This is driving me crazy and it just doesn't make sense.

I have 2 brand new identical usb / firewire external enclosures, (nextstar 3) with brand new identical hard drives, (seagate barracuda/ 300gb) . Here are my symptoms. I will address each enclosure as 1 and 2.

When booting both up #1 shows up in my computer, #2 doesn't. both are connected via firewire cables and firewire card in my PC.

When I shut down and reverse the start up order, #2 first and then #1 second. #1 doesn't show up.

Basically only one drive is showing up and the one that is showing is always the 1st one that is booted up. When I connect USB, they both show up.

Here is what I have trouble shot.

Different cables, swapped master and slave on the jumpers on the hard drive, removed firewire card and replaced it back in AND just tired new FW card.

All of this is not making any sense.

God, please help. I could run USB but really.....why would I want to do that ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-09-2008, 01:49 AM

Firewire has a concept called a Globally Unique Identifier (GUID). It sounds to me as though your two enclosures have the same GUID and the O/S is ignoring the second device to avoid getting itself confused. How you confirm this is the case will depend on your O/S.

Did the enclosures come with any update utility? If so you may be able to adjust this number manually, just increment one of them by 1 and you should be okay.

If the GUIDs are the same and you can't change them manually then you'll have to return the enclosures and ask the manufacturers to fix them.

CM
post #3 of 3 Old 06-10-2008, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippy Minton View Post

Firewire has a concept called a Globally Unique Identifier (GUID). It sounds to me as though your two enclosures have the same GUID and the O/S is ignoring the second device to avoid getting itself confused. How you confirm this is the case will depend on your O/S.

Did the enclosures come with any update utility? If so you may be able to adjust this number manually, just increment one of them by 1 and you should be okay.

If the GUIDs are the same and you can't change them manually then you'll have to return the enclosures and ask the manufacturers to fix them.

CM

may sound funny, but using an external firewire card can trick your computer(sometimes) into seeing both...

PSN: onemoretry

add me fools
Reply Firewire 1394 Trade Association Q&A

User Tag List