1394 HDDs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 06-02-2009, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
ogbuehi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 4,038
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This forum seems to be dying but I guess it's worth a shot in the dark. Does anybody know if they make a portable HDD with a firewire port. I don't want one that needs to be plugged into the wall but rather just get it's power from the firewire port on my laptop. Or if there is a such an animal as a firewire to mini-usb cable, I can use that as well. Thanks in advance.
ogbuehi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 Old 06-09-2009, 02:04 PM
Senior Member
 
KingLeerUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogbuehi View Post

This forum seems to be dying but I guess it's worth a shot in the dark. Does anybody know if they make a portable HDD with a firewire port. I don't want one that needs to be plugged into the wall but rather just get it's power from the firewire port on my laptop. Or if there is a such an animal as a firewire to mini-usb cable, I can use that as well. Thanks in advance.


I "rolled my own" portable Firewire+USB hd over a year ago using this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&Tpk=PHR-250CC

I combined that with a Western Digital 250gig laptop 2.5" HD 5400rpm and it's worked famously as a portable music archive.

It will power up over Firewire without a supplementary power supply. The same is not true when using USB, you will need the USB "power lead" in addition to the USB data lead.

KingLeerUK is offline  
post #3 of 5 Old 06-12-2009, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
ogbuehi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 4,038
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do you know what kind of firewire port that case has? I only have mini firewire on my laptop.
ogbuehi is offline  
post #4 of 5 Old 06-20-2009, 07:25 AM
Senior Member
 
KingLeerUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogbuehi View Post

Do you know what kind of firewire port that case has? I only have mini firewire on my laptop.


That enclosure has the standard 6P female connectors (x2).

To connect to a 4P iLink style laptop connection you would need an adaptor cable like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage

Using a 4P connection you will not have the 30v DC + ground that the 6P connector uses. In this case you will probably have to supplement the drive with the USB power lead.

KingLeerUK is offline  
post #5 of 5 Old 06-26-2009, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rezzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: The Matrix
Posts: 7,700
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLeerUK View Post

I "rolled my own" portable Firewire+USB hd over a year ago using this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&Tpk=PHR-250CC

I combined that with a Western Digital 250gig laptop 2.5" HD 5400rpm and it's worked famously as a portable music archive.

It will power up over Firewire without a supplementary power supply. The same is not true when using USB, you will need the USB "power lead" in addition to the USB data lead.

Interesting; I just may try that.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
rezzy is offline  
Reply Firewire 1394 Trade Association Q&A

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off