RedButton PVR Shareware - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-17-2009, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have been looking into new software to record video off a STB onto a computer. Tucows shows a new shareware package called Redbutton PVR. It is a little hard to find on their web page. I Googled "Red Button PVR" and found it. You can run it off a DVD or USB thumb drive without installing it on your computer. You can install it on an external HDD also. It uses the TitanTV GUI to make recording programs pretty easy. The GUI also lets you schedule multiple programs for future recording. This is about as good as a shareware package gets. It is a little tricky to set up but the instructions will get you there if you follow them and don't try to just figure it out for yourself. This is a Linux package but you can run it on your Windows system and maybe even a Mac. You do not have to have Linux installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-22-2009, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Gave it a try and it works. I put it on a USB stick and simply boot off it. Probably run faster if I install it on my HDD but this was easy and doesn't put Linux on my laptop. Will try that later. Recorded several programs and a couple of movies w/o problem. HD takes a lot of space but thats the price you pay for HD. I have zero Linux experience but it turns out you don't need any. Just follow the steps in the instructions exactly and in order. Finally someone has developed a use for that FireWire port on my STB the cable cos have worked so hard to make useless. I have an external 2 TB drive so I am not stuck with the minuscule HDD Comcast wants me to use for $15 a month!! And I can put a movie or two on a USB stick and take it with me to watch while traveling. Very cool. The TitanTV program guide worked well too.
Reply Firewire 1394 Trade Association Q&A

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page