AVS Forum banner

SAMSUNG SIR T165 to Laptop?

14K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  qz3fwd 
#1 ·
Is there any firmware to feed to my laptop to get it to not only recognize this firewire connection, but allow me to record onto my laptop and/or view shows? It identifies the HDTV tuner just fine, but prompts that it requires a firmware CD to initiate usefulness. Did Samsung ever produce (or envision) such a thing?

#4 ·
The Samsung SIR-T165 is the only way I know that you can record HDTV (over the air-OTA) to tape using a JVC special VCR. I have the combo and save PBS programs and games to tape- wish I could do the same with cable or satellite- but no chance on that one! If you want to record over the air programs- and don't want to wait for 'whatever' HD DVD (Blu Ray, HD DVD, or something else) to get as inexpensive (about two years away or more) get this combo!

#5 ·
While not for recording, I have used the SIR-T150 for viewing on a PC via use of its RGB output. I actually kept a couple of those old units for just such a purpose. I took a very old 19 inch tube TV in a spare bedroom out and replaced it with a SIR-T150 hooked to a 19 inch computer monitor and have it hooked to a spare pair of powered computer speakers. I have a friend with a spare T165 and one of these days I may snag it just for laughs. I assume you hooked it up with a 6 pin to 4 pin firewire cable?

#6 ·
Search for Exdues drivers. Download and install them following the step by step instructions with the sammy plugged into the firewire on your lappy, and wherever you see cable stb/dvr replace it with samsung.

Then d/l and install capdvhs and record your show.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.