Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 12-11-2009, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hi All,

I have a June 2009 17" UMBP. I will soon be starting work whereby I will be hiding all cables under the floor from one of the room to the other and plan on using wall-plates at each wall to which I can then connect stuff as need be.

I am really not that technical so please forgive me if I come across really ignorant & Firewire really confuses me - there seems to be so many different types of cables and connectors, that I just do not know which to get.

I guess I would want Firewire so I can at least use it to do higher speed transfers from the UBMP to say a hard drive or future Apple media computer/NAS as USB is way too slow.

If I am correct, the 17" UMBP has a 9 Pin Firewire 800 port? My idea is to have a short Firewire cable connected between the UMBP and first Firewire Wallplate or Keystone Jack Couplers (KSJC's) preferably. At the back of this first wall-plate will run a cable of about 6 metres (20ft) under the floor to another wall-plate/KSJC's at the other end of the room. From this second wall-plate/KSJc's, I plan to connect a second shorter Firewire cable again to say the hard drive/Future NAS etc.

All I know at this stage (if correct) is that I will need a Firewire cable connection that my June 2009 UMBP has Firewire 800/9-Pin to connection. What others do I need whilst keeping maximum transfer capability?:

1) Are there any Firewire 800 9-Pin Wall-plates or Keystone Jacks Couplers? (I can only find Firewire 400 & 6 Pin on the web)

2) Can all the different Firewire's be mixed up and what are the consequences - mixing 400 & 800, 9-Pin & 6-Pin etc

3) How should I best cable this and which cables should I get at the various stages - would I ideally want Firewire 800/9 Pin cables all the way?

4) Can I bypass all this and still use the Firewire 800 port on my UMBP but instead of using Firewire Cables use some sort of adapter & use Cat5e/Cat6e cables instead and still have the high speeds? (sorry if that is really stupid - just clutching at ideas!) - What other options can I try?

I have attached a diagram as best I can to illustrate better what I am trying to do - please kindly have a look and advise me of my best options, I would be so extremely grateful! Please kindly explain very simply as I am a novice & lost as it is!

Many Thanks,

Bazzy!
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-23-2009, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzy View Post

Hi All,

I have a June 2009 17" UMBP. I will soon be starting work whereby I will be hiding all cables under the floor from one of the room to the other and plan on using wall-plates at each wall to which I can then connect stuff as need be.

I am really not that technical so please forgive me if I come across really ignorant & Firewire really confuses me - there seems to be so many different types of cables and connectors, that I just do not know which to get.

I guess I would want Firewire so I can at least use it to do higher speed transfers from the UBMP to say a hard drive or future Apple media computer/NAS as USB is way too slow.

If I am correct, the 17" UMBP has a 9 Pin Firewire 800 port? My idea is to have a short Firewire cable connected between the UMBP and first Firewire Wallplate or Keystone Jack Couplers (KSJC's) preferably. At the back of this first wall-plate will run a cable of about 6 metres (20ft) under the floor to another wall-plate/KSJC's at the other end of the room. From this second wall-plate/KSJc's, I plan to connect a second shorter Firewire cable again to say the hard drive/Future NAS etc.

All I know at this stage (if correct) is that I will need a Firewire cable connection that my June 2009 UMBP has Firewire 800/9-Pin to connection. What others do I need whilst keeping maximum transfer capability?:

1) Are there any Firewire 800 9-Pin Wall-plates or Keystone Jacks Couplers? (I can only find Firewire 400 & 6 Pin on the web)

2) Can all the different Firewire's be mixed up and what are the consequences - mixing 400 & 800, 9-Pin & 6-Pin etc

3) How should I best cable this and which cables should I get at the various stages - would I ideally want Firewire 800/9 Pin cables all the way?

4) Can I bypass all this and still use the Firewire 800 port on my UMBP but instead of using Firewire Cables use some sort of adapter & use Cat5e/Cat6e cables instead and still have the high speeds? (sorry if that is really stupid - just clutching at ideas!) - What other options can I try?

I have attached a diagram as best I can to illustrate better what I am trying to do - please kindly have a look and advise me of my best options, I would be so extremely grateful! Please kindly explain very simply as I am a novice & lost as it is!

Many Thanks,

Bazzy!

1. I have not seen these, but they probably do exist, but your plan is flawed. See 4. If you must use Firewire, youll need expensive 1394->Cat5/6 extenders due to cable length limitations.
2. Yes, but 800 devices will revert to 400 if the other side is 400.
3. Pick whatever you need as you are not relying on power through the firewire cable.
4. Yes-maybe a good gigabit LAN would be more appropriate. Router/switch and cabling will be more economical once you figure in Firewire extenders anyways.
Good luck.
Reply Firewire 1394 Trade Association Q&A

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page